I've done over a dozen in the past, but medical issues have kept me from flying for the last 2 years. I'm hoping for one later in the year, including OZ
I jumped on them when I discovered the pricing and the ability to only fly east to west - that seems to give me less jet lag that flying west to east. I always maxed out my segments because I love to fly and I love visiting new places and my old favorites.
Always on the list:
- first visited SYD
in '66 on R&R in the Navy - the first Yank R&R in many years and the people there were exceptionally kind to all of us.
- Met my wife there on the second WestPac cruise and still have family there. Also lived there for 8 years and love going back.
- first visited in '66 and fell in love with it. The Hong Kong Hilton let servicemen stay for $30 per night which was a luxury after 30 guys in my berthing compartment. I'm still amazed at the place and walk for hours there.
- went there once to see what it was liked and fell in love with the people - the most gracious people I've met. There is also a silk shop called Jim Thompsons where I can do a bit of shopping for the wife. As long as I drop by there and spend a bit of money on the wife I can continue taking RTW trips. It's called bribery.
- basically the last stop in Asia as it gives me the most miles for going to the UK.
- I always start the European segments here, basically because I love London. Unfortunately the city is expensive and the dollar is way down so trips will be cut short in the future, but I'll still stop in for a day or two.
- Always a day trip as I enjoy just waling around the downtown area.
- one of the best cities for me on a RTW as I can stay at the airport hotel. That allows me to push the luggage cart across the taxi rank, check in and push the cart to my room. An easy train ride into town for a lot more walking, plus, of course pastries, which is why I walk a lot - it eliminates the guilt of enjoying the food on the trip.
- Another great city for RTW trips if you like to walk.
In the US I try to slip in one side trip to take the wife on. Aruba is at the top of our list these days.