winair

Which European City To Visit?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Im in Munich right now studying abroad. Have one more weekend left and Id like to take an overnight trip to some city in Europe that isnt too far away. What Id like to know is this: Which citys airport is close enough to the center of town for me to get around easily with public transportation and by foot? My goal is to fly into the airport Friday morning, explore all day friday, and leave Saturday afternoon. Id like to spend as much time exploring as possible and as little time trying to get fom the airport to the city as possible so a centrally located airport is very important. Apart from that I dont have any real preferences on where to go? Any citys in France, Belgium, Denmark, or the Czech Republic that would work?

Thanks for your help!

brons2

RE: Which European City To Visit?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm

LHR should be a good bet. The Heathrow Express or the Piccadilly Line will get you right into Central London very quickly. There's lots to see.

I loved Munich, but you're already there. I recall riding around town on my bicycle tanked up on liters of beeeeahhhhhh!!  Big grin
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

Toulouse

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Why not give Toulouse a visit. LH have numerous daily flights between Munich and Toulouse, then you have a free airport-city shuttle bus operating every 20 minutes taking approx. 25 minutes to get to the city centre. The city is relatively compact so you could easily spend the day walking around, and of course it has a good bus network and especially the metro to speed up your visit.

[Edited 2007-06-19 08:47:32]
Long live Aer Lingus!

swiftski

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Prague is beautiful. CPH is good for getting into the city too - you get a train, which carries on to Gothenburg, via Malmo. You could take the Malmo part of it, and see both Sweden and Denmark, and you'd get to travel via this bridge/tunnel. It starts as a bridge, then goes underwater as a tunnel:

hman

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:56 pm

If it's only about the airport, how about FRA?

copaair737

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Rome FCO is a good choice.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

colingally

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Paris airports are all linked by good train services.
Seriously the choice is endless where you are situated. Very central indeed. No more than a couple of hours in any direction to any major tourist city. Stick a pin in a map!

Gemuser

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Try Veince. Get the water BUS, not taxi, to San Marco. Very unique

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

SAS A340

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:37 pm

I would say,take a trip to Scandinavia  Wink Welcome!!,Copenhagen then a small trip over the bridge/tunnel to Malmö by train,then back for a evening beer or two...or...  wave 
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

Ansett767

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:42 pm

I'd go with Brussels (and the surrounding towns). You can spend one day there - that's all you need.

Then get a train to Ghent (40 mins). Spend the day there, and go on to Bruges/Brugge (20 mins further) and spend the night and the next day - Both those towns are STUNNING and Soooooo much fun to stroll around and soak up the old town/Belgian atmosphere (including the amazing food, waffles, and frites! hehe). Both these towns are on-foot type of towns- even Brussels centre is small enough to explore in a day on foot.

Otherwise I would suggest getting the train down to Salzburg as it's close to munich - and even spend a day trip from there in Innsbruck which is just as picturesque and beautiful!

swiftski

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 8):
Copenhagen then a small trip over the bridge/tunnel to Malmö by train,

Check reply 3!  Smile

SAS A340

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 10):
Check reply 3!

yes,but i am still entitle to give Winair my personal choice,right?
But of course,i could just have written "Check reply 3"  Wink

OHLHD

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Take the train to VIE. Or fly there and take the bus which leads directly into the city.  Smile Is a 20min ride and you end up at the city center.

Ansett767

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 12):
Take the train to VIE. Or fly there and take the bus which leads directly into the city. Is a 20min ride and you end up at the city center.

Vienna is cool - 3 days is worth your while and you can even do a day trip to Bratislava (Slovakia) that is 1 h away if 3 days is too long for you.

By the way, CAT (City airport train) is the quickest way to the city. Only 16 mins! Bus is 20 mins to Schwedenplatz but if youre going to Sudbahnhof its 25 mins and Westbahnhof its about 30-40 mins.

Cheers!

swiftski

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 11):
yes,but i am still entitle to give Winair my personal choice,right?

Of course; it just seemed like you hadn't noticed it; I assumed you would have said "i also..." to show support  Smile I'm promoting your country here, hello?!!? :P

SAS A340

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 14):
Of course; it just seemed like you hadn't noticed it; I assumed you would have said "i also..." to show support I'm promoting your country here, hello?!!? :P

Ok,i now know what you mean,it was a little language mistake from my side,sorry and i guess i should say thanks for promoting my country.  bigthumbsup 

Jeremy

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 am

I was in Warsaw in this past March and liked it.
It is inexpensive compared to most European cities.
I stayed at the Mercure Hotel for $35 a night.

It was about 15 minutes and .80 cents by bus to the city center from WAW.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

plateman

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:42 am

I also was looking for some good cities as I'm studying abroad. I settled on Edinburgh, Dublin, Amsterdam, Munich, Rome, Venice and Geneva and possibly Paris.

On all my travels, I have been asking fellow passengers what to see and asking co-workers in my internship. Barcelona topped the list, but couldn't find the time to get out there.

Since you are studying abroad in Munich, what are some must sees from an American student viewpoint?
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

PavlovsDog

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:07 am

Lisbon is a bit farther away but the city is really close to the airport. The approach takes you right over the old city center. Taxis are really cheap as is the metro. Lisbon is a unique and charming city.

Ansett767

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting PlateMan (Reply 17):
Barcelona topped the list, but couldn't find the time to get out there.

Agreed. Barcelona is amazing in summer. I have to say if you listed Spain on your list I would have recommended this! However you may want to consider???

Anyway, I lived in London for 2 years, and did weekend and long weekend trips twice a month, so I have pretty much seen most of Western Europe. I still stick with Belgium considering your location as my top pick but if you want to know anything more send me a private message - I have also created a group on facebook for this sort of thing (travel in europe asking people their opinions on best places to visit/eat/see etc!) so if youre on facebook let me know and Ill point you in the right direction!

BA

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:42 am

How about Zürich? It's only a 4.5 hour train ride.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

swiftski

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting Jeremy (Reply 16):
It was about 15 minutes and .80 cents by bus to the city center from WAW.

Bit longer than that, but not much. Bus 175 from the airport.

Viscount724

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Geneva is worth a visit and it's small enough (population about 450,000) to cover in a weekend. You can walk almost everywhere and there's good bus and tram service. Scenic location at the end of Lake Geneva, largest lake in western Europe (a 1 or 2 hour trip on one of the lake boats is pleasant on a sunny day). French Alps to the south and the Jura mountains to the north. French is the dominant language (GVA is right on the French border, surrounded by France on 3 sides) but English is widely spoken with GVA the European headquarters of the UN and many UN agencies and other international organizations (Red Cross, World Trade Organization etc.) based here.

Few airports are as close to the city center as GVA, only 5 or 6 km and just 6 minutes by train or 15 to 20 minutes by city bus (the same ticket is good on both). If you stay at any hotel in GVA now, when you check in you get a free public transport ticket good for unlimited travel for the duration of your stay, including the day of departure. The only thing you'd have to pay for would be the trip from the airport on arrival. Avoid taxis which are expensive.

LH has 8 flights a day MUC-GVA (codeshared with LX), about 1 hr and 15 min.

More info on GVA:
http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/?rubrique=0000000000&lang=_eng

Otherwise, I would also recommend PRG except this time of year when it's overrun with tourists. It's more pleasant in the spring or fall to avoid the crowds. The airport is about 20 km from the city center but you can do it by public transport in about half an hour (combination of bus and metro) and the fare is only the equivalent of about $1.

TrijetsRMissed

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 7):
Try Veince. Get the water BUS, not taxi, to San Marco. Very unique

You must mean the Vaporetto, and yes there is no place like it. I visited three weeks ago and would recommend it.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

nicogagne

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:51 am

You should fly down to Nice (NCE), on the French Riviera. It's a beautiful city, lots of sunshine, there's a mix of Italian & French heritage and you'll find lots of nice restaurants/bars by the waterfront. Plus, when you're on the beach, planes take off or land right above your head.

Have fun!

Nico

HT

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting Winair (Thread starter):
Any citys in France, Belgium, Denmark, or the Czech Republic that would work?

Having to select from these countries and sticking to my personal experiences, I would recommend Copenhagen like others did before.
However, with flights foreseen for Friday and return on Saturday, you might want to keep an eye on flight costs ! Unless I am mistaken here, MUC-CPH is only served by LH/SK and their fares cold be rather high.

AF to CDG has much better fares when booking about a month in advance; I got a fare of about 108 € for 20/21-JUL including a flight on a rare A318.
Paris surely has a lot to offer for tourists (but it isn't my favourite spot).  twocents 

With your rather tight schedule, you might want to stick to nonstop flights or you will loose too much time.
LCCs out of MUC are not too many at hand, especially to the countries you stated.

Quoting PavlovsDog (Reply 18):
Lisbon is a bit farther away but the city is really close to the airport. The approach takes you right over the old city center. Taxis are really cheap as is the metro.

Use the Aerobus #91 to go downtown. For 3 € (pay the driver with cash only, exact money appreciated) you will get unlimited travel on Carris' buses and trams for the remainder of the day (no other ticktes are valid on Aerobus). After 2045h get bus #44 or 45 to city center (destination "Cais de Sodre"). I just came back from Lisbon yesterday having attended a company convention there with my luggage gotten lost on the flight to LIS.
Avoid to take a taxi from the airport - they are known to rip-off visitors. In case you need to use a taxi, get info about the fare upfront and agree on a price with the taxi driver. Or get a taxi voucher from the tourist office's booth inside arrivals (to the right after having passed customs) .
OTOH, MUC-LIS is a 3-hour flight, so it might be too long for your tight schedule.If interested, look into tickets by TAP.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

CPH757

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:46 am

Finding an airport close to the city isn't the major problem. As others have suggested, LIS is a good option. It is such a beautiful and charming city with lots of things to do, and it doesn't feel very touristy. Prague is in the same league, and both are good for one day tours as sights are pretty close, although both deserve a lot more than a day. PRG to city is a little bit more troublesome, but nothing to be afraid of timewise.

As my nickname suggest, i have to support CPH, and the airport is only 15 minutes train ride (2-3€) from the city center. CPH is world class for a one-day strolling around tour......when the sun is shining!
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

rwsea

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:00 am

Amsterdam. Great airport with good spotting, and it's only 15 minutes by train from the city, where you can walk to just about anything you want.

ERJ135

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 27):
Amsterdam.

Agree with above. Been there and done it and would recomend it. Great atmostphere, places to see and things to do. Very liberal for the broadminded and an eye opener for those who are perhaps less worldly.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!