davescj

BA Airport Change, Flying Backwards?

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:15 pm

Hey Ya'll

Flying BA Club FCO -LHR, LGW - IAH, first time on BA and first time flying through the joys of LHR andn LGW.

Is the airport transfer via the bus fairly painless? I've got 3 1/2 hrs, + the bonus of fast track (club).

As to getting a seat, I know I can't select a seat until the day before  Yeah sure (whatever that logic is about), but if I get a window (hopefully), is the pitch decent enough NOT to climb over people to strech one's legs? Is the backwards facing seat OK during the flight?

Thanks in advance to the many people who respond!!

I will try and write up a TR at the end.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

swiftski

RE: BA Airport Change, Flying Backwards?

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:06 pm

National Express (google it) do a coach service.

(Search!!)

BCAL

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:30 pm

Out of curiousity, why fly to LHR when your IAH flight is from LGW? BA also flies FCO-LGW and the 07:40 FCO-LGW should connect you to the 10:00 LGW-IAH service (or be safer and catch the later IAH flight at 13:25).

It will save the transfer between LHR and LGW.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Sketty222

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Im actually doing the same thing but this evening. The speedlink service operated by National Express leaves form the central bus station at LHR and costs about £17.00 one way.

I have also flown in the backward facing seats in Club World and to be honest it felt just the same as facing forwards. The only strange thing is when you take-off instead of being pushed back into your seat you get pushed out of it.... its weird.
Other than hat though everything is good

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

Ansett767

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:06 pm

Why are you able to only select a seta the day before?

I thought they changed it to that, but have since changed it back?

I just booked a ticket in Y+ with BA and am able to select my seat 3 months before I fly?

Anyone know the answer?

BCAL

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 4):
Why are you able to only select a seta the day before?

IIRC if you are on a restricted Y fare, you can only select your seat when you check-in online, which opens 24 hours before the flight.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

davescj

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:45 am

I'm in club, but theey won't let me pick a seat...what's up with that? Because it is restricted as opposed to flex?
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

BCAL

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Davescj (Reply 6):

In a nutshell yes.

See the thread BA And Pre Selecting Seats - Changed? (by Ansett767 Jun 21 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Viscount724

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 4):
I just booked a ticket in Y+ with BA and am able to select my seat 3 months before I fly?

Anyone know the answer?

First class fares and fully flexible fares in other classes (booking codes J/C/W/Y) permit seat selection at time of booking. Also all fares if you have Silver or Gold status in BA's Executive Club (or equivalent in other oneworld carriers' FFPs).

Assume you're probably booked in W class if you're in World Traveller Plus so no restriction on advance seat selection.

BCal Dc10

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:46 pm

there is no difference in flying backwards - the takeoff/landing position of the seat is a bit more reclined backwards so you don't get tipped out, but otherwise you hardly notice it at all, except during the acceleration/deceleration on the runway.

I've never had a problem getting out of a window seat either - and no one seems that bothered about me climbing over their legs. Plus there are one or two seats that only become available at T-24 that allow you to have free aisle access and a window - ie the rear bulkhead. I think they are kept back for OLCI, but I can't quite remember - am sure someone can confirm.

Enjoy the experience and post a TR!

trekster

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:33 pm

TBH, I have found travelling rear facing better then forward facing, I have no idea why???

Dan
Where does the time go???

Ansett767

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 8):
Assume you're probably booked in W class if you're in World Traveller Plus so no restriction on advance seat selection.

Yeah - I am in W class - it seems that I am on a discounted fare but its still W class - meaning that it's flexible and date changs free? Also means I can pre select a seat. I find this odd, as flying in Business Class (on a discounted fare), one cannot pre select a seat...... On most airlines any business class pax can prereserve seats and its Y class where you cannot!