penguinflies

Best Way From NRT To KIX

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:39 am

Hey guys--here's a mystery.

Flying Non-rev UA from HNL-NRT-HNL. In case the NRT-HNL leg is overbooked, there is a UA 777 flying KIX-HNL that is wide open. What would be the best way to get from Narita to Kansai. It looks like airport-to-airport that are not direct flights to either on ANA or JAL. (Goes from Haneida or arrives to Itami) What about a direct train? Anyone tried this before?

Thanks for the replies.

chase

RE: Best Way From NRT To KIX

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:46 am

http://www.japanrail.com/JR_airportshuttletrains.html

Sounds like you could take one train from NRT-Tokyo, then Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka, then a third train to KIX.

I've done the first 2 of those 3, but not the 3rd. Be careful of the rail pass - I don't think it covers the airport trains, and covers only about 2/3 of the Tokyo to Osaka shinkansen.

purplebox

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:54 am

Take the train....

NRT to Tokyo Station - Bullet train (Shinkansen) to Osaka and then the airport express to KIX.

Don't worry - trains in Japan are a national institution and always work.

PurpleBox.
Next Flights:LHR-BOG,BOG-GYE,MDE-BOG-PTY,PTY-BOG-CTG,SMR-BOG-LHR - all on AV

britjap

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:57 am

Sorry to say that there is no direct train!!

But you can get the Narita express to Tokyo station, then get a shinkansen down to Shin-Osaka station, from there you can go direct to KIX with the JR Haruka express.

Also want to add that if you are wanting to go by a more interesting route, I suggest you go via Itami. From there connect to the Hankyu line using the monorail. Go to the end of the line in Umeda, walk over to JR Osaka station (you can even stop to look in Yodobashi Camera). From JR Osaka go one stop north to JR Shin-Osaka, and from there direct to KIX as before.

[Edited 2007-07-06 21:05:13]

spacecadet

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:51 am

Or, you could just take the train from NRT-HND and fly to KIX from there.

Not sure what I'd do in this situation, but no matter what, you're taking the train somewhere. Once you do, though, you probably won't want to fly again anyway.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Carpethead

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:23 pm

You could fly NRT-ITM and then take the bus down to KIX; however the NRT-ITM runs are all in the late-afternoon/evening, so by the time you get to KIX, the UA KIX-HNL flight would have already left.

Another way is take the bus from NRT to HND. Note: there is virtually no direct train service from NRT to HND. By using JR, you'd have to transfer trains two times or the private line railway (Keisei/Keikyu) is kind of slow going. So, I'd recommend you the bus. Then you can fly from HND to KIX. However, HND-KIX has some dead spots during the day, so check the schedule accordingly.

As many have mentioned, is to do the NRT-KIX trek by train. You'd be required to transfer trains twice and set you back 20,000 yen (approx. $160).

DLPMMM

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 5):
Another way is take the bus from NRT to HND. Note: there is virtually no direct train service from NRT to HND. By using JR, you'd have to transfer trains two times or the private line railway (Keisei/Keikyu) is kind of slow going. So, I'd recommend you the bus. Then you can fly from HND to KIX. However, HND-KIX has some dead spots during the day, so check the schedule accordingly.

checkmark 

Carpethead has the best idea here. Take the bus from NRT to HND and catch a flight from HND to KIX.

sr117

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:59 pm

Best bet.. if you're flying non rev, don't take chances and take the wide open KIX-HNL flight, take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka, you could even sneak in a short Kyoto trip while you're at it, there's bus and train service from Kyoto to Kansai International that you could use.

AEROFAN

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:55 am

So are you going to KIX to the World Athletics championships?