av8orwalk

Spotting From Your House

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:55 am

I just bought a new condo about 2 miles NNE of Downtown Orlando just a few days ago. A major selling point for me was that the pool, which I plan to use a lot, is in a clearing with a terrific view of the southbound arrivals into MCO. Seems the gear goes down right next to my pool! It also serves up some easterly landings into SFB, on occasion. I had the afternoon off yesterday so I headed to the pool with my partner. He was simply amazed with the knowledge I had of the planes that were landing. It made for some really nice conversation, and this was with someone that I had lived with for a year prior! Ahh, home sweet home! I've found my favorite place for an evening cocktail. Anyone else have great spotting from home or some stories to go with it?

Drew
MCO
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

Yflyer

RE: Spotting From Your House

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:35 am

My office has a pretty good view of arrivals into MHR. I mostly see UPS and DHL freighters, but day I just happened to look out the window at the right time and saw N900ER fly by. A few helpful a.netters informed me that Boeing sometimes does test flights there.

Edited to add: Just to clarify, I'm not actually close enough to make out the registration numbers -- FlightAware and more helpful a.netters confirmed the identity of the plane.

[Edited 2007-07-11 02:39:00]

ag92

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:14 am

My home as a view of millitary aircraft, but I dont think there is an airport nearby. It always confuses me : Confused

Regards
Ag92

TupolevTu154

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:23 am

The front of the house faces parallel to the approach path to 08 at LGW. The aircraft fly over Horsham on downwind quite low, disappear behind trees, then re-emerge again on final.

We get the odd go-around banking over really low, and when the weather's bad, they divert directly over the house, sometimes REALLY low. Makes for some good spotting!

I also get some heavy departures from LHR between 2000 and 2300 overflying quite high, but low enough to rumble and see that typical blue BA belly  Wink

If you look carefully, you can see one of the LHR holding stacks, and aircraft heading for it.

None of the aircraft are close enough to get registrations (Although perhaps the bad weather overfly's are close enough at times).

My parents have a video of me at the age of 5 standing in the garden, playing, then I look up as an aircraft flies over and marvel at it. Early roots  Wink

Tom Big grin

Vio

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:23 am

I just moved into a new condo, which is right under the approach path for runway 34 at CYYC. I thought I'd like it, but it's getting really annoying, not because of the noise, but rather because I always look out the window to see what plane it is ... so retared.... LOL
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

747fan

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:18 am

I live under the eastern downwind leg for SDF and I see both arrivals and departures, depending on which direction they're landing/taking off from. At night (between about 11 and 1:30 AM) there are almost nonstop arrivals (only the planes that come from the east or south such as NYC, BOS, ATL, PHL, etc. which make up quite a bit of UPS' flights), which doesn't exactly help me get to sleep. You can see the lights of the planes out my bedroom window, they're generally about 3500-4000 ft. up when they overfly my house (about 7 or 8000 ft. when they're taking off).

Osprey88

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:58 am

My house is near the approach to MRY so I basically see a long string of EMB-120 Brasilias, Saab 340s, and CRJs, with the occasional Xjet ERJ-145....
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

AirTranTUS

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:49 am

From my house on the east side of Tucson, all plane arrivals from the east/northeast fly over when runway 11L is in use at TUS. They fly west over the city, make a left turn over I-10 and line up for the runway. I can identify aircraft type and airline, and depending on the time of day, where the flight is coming from (except for AA because flights can be often delayed from DFW). I always know when NW or F9 is arriving; very unique sound of their engines.
I love ASO!

srbmod

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:15 am

I live a few miles south of ATL. so depending upon the patterns, we'll get a/c flying over the neighborhood. The only low flying a/c we'll typically have fly over are EV's ATR-72s. I can always tell when the weather around ATL is bad as we'll get low flying a/c over the house. I've had a/c flying so low that if I had a pair of binoculars, I could have easily gotten the registrations. When they are landing from the west, we'll every once in a while get a go around flying low over the house (had a DL 764 do as such about a week or so ago).

Dornier328Jet

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:52 pm

I rarely see anything good over my house, save a Kalitta 747 that flies over every so often en route from JFK to EWR.
Our boat, however, which is home for the summer is right under the arrival path for JFK, and when the wind is right, we'll have aircraft low and often, low enough not to need binoculars.

Sketty222

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 pm

I live about 6miles (as a plane flies) from NCL. I pretty much have aircraft flying over my house after take-off and they are pretty low, about 4-6 thousand feet. I have seen a 737-800 fly over at 3000ft when it was practising go-arounds but this is the lowest we normaly have them.
The majority of aircraft are Easyjet 737-700's or Thomas cook 757's. Theres a twice daily Ryanair 737-700? and also BA 757's, A319 and A320's
I reckon with a decent enough lense I could snap the reg numbers of these a/c

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

MadameConcorde

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:18 pm

I get to see the sea and lots of cruise ships. Planes go by coming in from Nice but they are rather high up.

I can see many helicopters taking people to their private homes and other destinations. I also see water aircrafts dropping tons of water when there are fires up on the neaby hills. Sometimes they can get really close to the houses.

I am lucky enough to have a 180 degrees view with the sea and mountain from my place, right up the hill from Monte Carlo.

[Edited 2007-07-12 16:25:10]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Sabena332

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 am

My parents' garden is perfect for spotting, I can see most of the planes that fly to Dusseldorf and Dortmund, they are not very low but you can easily indentify the aircraft type and the airline without binoculars.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 am

I can view the Aircraft getting Airborne from Rnwy 27 at BOM.Postcard view.
Beeter view at work on the tarmac though  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

HT

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting AV8orWALK (Thread starter):
pool

Same is true for me, but different location:
1 mi west of ETNW (GAF Wunstorf with C160 Transall stationed) and 11 mi west of HAJ under the direct approach paths of both airports.
Put 52°27'17"N 09°23'45"E into maps.google.com and zoom in until you see my pool and compare to the airfield to the east (ETWN)  Smile
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

shamrock350

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:21 am

I live about 15 minutes from LHR so I get to see quite a few aircraft. This is what I usually see, grey sky and a 777.

wrighbrothers

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:42 am

I live pretty close to LHR, so get the take off's from the runways flying over my house along with over flying aircrafts going all over the shop, America, Africa, Europe etc etc

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

mdodd

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:10 am

I live nearby EWR.
Normally I'm not under their traffic patterns, but every now and then it changes for a couple hours and I get nice views of (mostly) COA [suprise??] 727's, etc.

Sometimes they fly low, sometimes they fly high, its always so random!

Last weekend I had a steady stream of airplanes flying at about 1500 feet!

n710ps

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:19 pm

I live in Long Beach, New York. When JFK is on the 31's they are crossing my house at no higher than two grand and generally dropping the gear over my house. Me and a few other anet photographers recently began to frequent my roof for spotting and adult drinks. Quite an enjoyable way to spend the summer on days off. My office is the approaching subject so no issues there.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

AeroMexico777

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:44 am

HI!

I live just secs of landing in MEX... So, I get so nice images from my own room... Specially KL 744, IB 346 and AM 777...

Regards, AeroMexico777
"When the hope of dying becomes the only reason to live..." Die Laughing (Gothic), Safe little world.

AlexPorter

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:34 am

Well, there's my parents' house and my college house, so I'll just do both.

Parents: About 40 miles SE of MSP. We hear departures on the COULT1 from MSP all the time. These are flights going to Chicago, Detroit, New York, and basically all over the northeast. On a nice day we can look up and see the planes. Usually they are close enough yet to tell what kind of plane it is (757, or DC-9, etc), but generally not what airline unless we use binoculars. (The inverse of this happened once with me. I was flying CO MSP-EWR and I had the window seat and could see my house! But of course we were probably around 15000 or more by then so it was pretty small from up there. Cool nonetheless!)
For arrivals, we sometimes see them when the 30s are in use, which is about 2/3 of the time. However, most aircraft pass to the north of us and we don't see them. However, when traffic is heavy, some inbounds pass to our south (where our deck is) and we can see them. Yesterday, an obvious NW A319 passed by. When there are storm clouds over MSP, but the airport itself is dry, inbounds generally descend earlier and then come by our house more. This is also the case after storms. After a storm last summer, it was around 11 PM, and inbounds came low right over our house. I could make out a big green "a" (airTran) on a 717 from MDW. But most times, spotting is rather difficult to do from my house besides listening.

College: My college house is about 5 miles SSE of PHX. We can see the whole pattern but it gets dull after a while. We see departures from the 7L and arrivals to 25L and 26. By the time they are abeam to our house, they are on their final approaches with gear down and everything. When departing, they haven't even turned yet, but are past their initial climb (after they slow the engines a little bit). However, when the Dash-8s depart, they bank right very early and pass quite close to our house. I actually saw the first Dash-8 in the new US colors a couple of hours before someone posted about them on here! I've only seen the BA 747 arriving once (from my house - I've seen it more from the ASU campus), but last semester, I saw the Hawaiian 767 departing almost every morning. Due to its size, I could also see it make its whole turn westbound towards Honolulu.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

LAXspotter

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:25 am

Previously i used to live about 5-6NM east of SMO, and 10NM northeast of LAX. If i just stepped out of my house, every 3-4 minutes an aircraft will be on the approach from SMO, it was always a cool sight. Another thing i saw constantly was the downwind approaches to LAX, it was awesome. I saw numerous widebodies on the downwind. Infact i used to see the donwinds all the way from my college which was another 5NM east of my house. All together the dowwind to LAX extends for about 15NM east, and i could always see them. BUR, isnt that far from my house either, about 8NM and I could see traffic there sometimes when they were using runway 33 in rare conditions. Being in LA, was a cool experience, after all Socal App/Dep is one of the busiest TRACON's in the country.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Yflyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am

As I already mentioned, my workplace has a pretty good view of arrivals from the west into MHR, and because of that I've gotten into the habit of looking up as I'm leaving for the day. Just two days ago I looked up as I was walking out to my car and spotted an aircraft, but it seemed too high to be landing at MHR. Apparently the captain thought the same thing, because just then the DHL 762 made a right turn and headed directly toward me, while decending, and made a complete 360 degree turn and then continued its approach.

ORL777

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:15 am

I live about 5 or 6 miles from La Carlota Airport in Caracas Venezuela

They are 2 examples of the approach

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Orlando Suarez
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Orlando Suarez

sandrozrh

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:51 am

I live right under tha approach path of ZRH's rwy 28, about 4 miles out, and the departure route out of rwy 16.

There's quite a lot to see indeed Big grin

bps3458

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:18 pm

I live in a northern suburb of Brisbane near Moreton Bay and always enjoy the QF Dash 8 air craft on finals in to BNE. Just a great view how these air craft seem to stand still in the air with the gear lowered coming in over the water from North Queensland cities such as Gladstone, Rockhampton, Mackay, etc.

Cheers,

Peter

andz

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:30 pm

I used to live in a great house for spotting, right at the end of 21L/03R at JNB. If the planes used the end taxiway it looked as if they were taxiing on top of my wall!

This shows my house relative to the runway.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ACDC8

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:35 am

I live right under the approach path for CVYK (Vernon, BC) at about a mile from the threshold. Not much to see though, just a lot of small single engine pistons, a few twin-engined turboprops and a couple of Citations. Every once in awhile, Search and Rescue will come in with their DHC-5 Buffalo's.

YLW is only a 30 minute drive from here, and since they've installed the ILS for runway 16, I have great view of aircraft intercepting the path to the airport.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

nzblue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:25 pm

I live 3 miles west and 6 miles north of the 16R/16L thresholds at DEN, so with binoculars and my ATC scanner in my home office, I get pretty decent views without all the overhead noise. It's actually quite a nice compromise!
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

egmcman

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:44 am

I used to see LCY and LHR arrivals that cross the North Sea and some SEN departures from parents old house I used to watch them on virtual radar and look out of my bedroom window. My current location is ok but not quite as good. In the middle of August I will be moving to an apartment in Rochford near Southend Airport so it should be good.

seattleflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:57 am

I live about 34nm north of SEA and 9nm NE of PAE.

I don't see a lot of traffic being so far from any approach/departure routes but occasionally catch some big birds turning to crosswind coming into PAE - usually new planes that haven't been delivered yet. Last one I caught was a brand new ANA Cargo 747 very close.

Also, when SEA is using north flow (ie. taking off from the 34's) in the evening, I can catch BA, SK, and AF (and the odd MP) climbing out nearby, if not directly overhead, on their way to Europe. I'm on high ground so I can hear them coming from a long ways away giving me a chance to peek outside for a look.

BA787

Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:56 am

My house has quite a good view of the early morning LBA departures, the usual LS 757s and 737s, and quite a lot of the departures. We also get the traffic on long finals going in they head north west slightly and then make a wide turn onto the LBA heading, I witness these turns a lot. I am also on the MAN approach path so we see some of them too.

BA787

ERJ135

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:37 am

I live about an hours drive north of Sydney airport and while aircraft are typically about 3000 feet above sea level, I live on high ground so the view is usually pretty good. Just yesterday morning I looked out the window and saw Air Tahiti Nui, several Qantas types 744, 330, 763, 738, and some Jetstar A320's and some Virgin Blue 737s as well. Then a China Eastern A330, and a Cathay Pacific A330. And this was just under an hour. Sydney has parallel runways and the main runway traffic gives me a good view from the Kitchen Window, and as I write this a Virgin Blue 737-700 flew by. The shorter runway traffic (left) flies over the house.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

Joelatbsl

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:19 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joel Vogt

That one's flying right over my house. I get to see most movements at BSL, be it departures from Rwy 16 or approaches into Rwy 34...

Cheers

JOEL

lamedianaranja

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:14 am

A few minutes from RWY06 approach at AMS. It's not used that often but sometimes in summer with eastern wind conditions I get lucky and can spend my afternoons sunbathing and spotting  Cool!
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

texan

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Nothing here in Vermont. Once or twice a day I can see what looks to be a jumbo of some kind most likely heading to YUL at 30,000 plus feet.

When the winds were out of the south when I lived in Dallas, I had most WN arrivals from the south and departures going north, as well as the European and northeast bound flights out of DFW, although they were much higher up than the WN birds. Nothing like seeing the LH and BA jumbos flying overhead in the afternoon! A break from the AA monotony.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

QXatFAT

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Well I live a good distance from FAT, maybe about 35 min or so, but I see every single day the FedEx 727 fly over my house shortly after take off. Such an amazing sight to look forward to every day!
Don't Tread On Me!