2) Expedia.com
3) Travelocity.com
4) Cheaptickets.com
5) Kayak.com
6) Sidestep.com
7) Opodo.com
8) Other _______

PlymSpotter

RE: Poll: Which Is The Best Travel Website?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:16 am

Well, up until recently it was Opodo who enabled me to book tickets to many destinations that Expedia is prevented from doing so, (for some reason - politics I expect) like Syria, Iran and Cuba. But, recently I've found even they won't bring up results and nor does Amadeus  Confused

Still though, my vote would be for the latter, as they show almost all of the timetables, so I can pick out the flights which will get me on the most interesting aircraft and airlines Big grin

8) Other: Amadeus

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

JetBlueAUS

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:28 am

Travelocity.

filler
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

heathrow

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:42 pm

5)Kayak
I like kayak because it gives you more chances to choose different airlines, connections, and times.

dimoko

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:32 am

i like kayak as well, the sliders and the airline choices really make it easy to change the options. a lot of time when i fly i am pretty flexible about times, dates and airports so it is nice to see when i can save some money.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

fllcontinental

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 am

What is the difference between Kayak and Sidestep?

dfwmzuri

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:39 am

I used to like Kayak the best of those listed above. But recently I found Yahoo's FareChase to be better.

SEAdomer787

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:34 am

Definitely Kayak, mainly because it links you directly to the airline's website to book your flight (rather than having to go through Orbitz or Expedia) which is good when airlines offer FF Mileage promotions when you book online, and also because you can click "get info" next to Southwest Airlines and it takes you right to Southwest's reservation page. Makes it much easier to compare WN to the other options. The sliders and fare trend plots are cool too.

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
But, recently I've found even they won't bring up results and nor does Amadeus

That's because they're the same system. Opodo runs on top of Amadeus. If it couldn't find flights, likelihood is either there aren't any, or they're sold out. What city pairs were you requesting ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

buck3y3nut

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:19 am

Another one:
www.itasoftware.com
that's the one I prefer. Search there, then book through the airlines' website...

PlymSpotter

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
That's because they're the same system. Opodo runs on top of Amadeus. If it couldn't find flights, likelihood is either there aren't any, or they're sold out. What city pairs were you requesting ?

Well, it's a little obsolete now, because I just checked again on both sites and miraculously it's back again, but for the past two or three weeks I have been unable to access the schedules of Iranian internal flights on Amadeus, or to view any flight details on Opodo for an Iranian airline, this was the same with Syria and I'm pretty sure Cuba too. I was thinking it may be a little like the scenario where you search for a flight to Cuba on Expedia and all you get is a 'we are currently unable to sell tickets to this destination' message. Very thank full that it is not though, must have just been a little blip in the system perhaps?

Dan Smile

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 10):
the past two or three weeks I have been unable to access the schedules of Iranian internal flights on Amadeus, or to view any flight details on Opodo for an Iranian airline, this was the same with Syria and I'm pretty sure Cuba too.

Haha - my blacklisting of Southwest UK-based hippies in the system worked - success !!  Smile

Curious - we do have a facility in the system to apply legal embargos, where agencies in a country are not allowed to sell travel to a particular destination, but those rules only apply the US, generally, and Opodo uses an office per site, eg. a French office for the .fr site. Were you using Opodo.co.uk ? The amadeus.net site uses a Nice office, so should not have been affected at all. Very strange - glad its working again.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ShannoninAMA

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:08 pm

I use www.Bookingbuddy.com ....gives you TONS of sites to search  yes 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

dartland

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting DFWMzuri (Reply 6):
I used to like Kayak the best of those listed above. But recently I found Yahoo's FareChase to be better.

What about FareChase is better? It works very similarly to Kayak, but is more clunky and has fewer options.

Boston92

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:48 am

Uhh... www.united.com is usually my first and last stop  Smile
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 14):

Kind of limiting your choices a bit there, not so ?

srbmod

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):

Kind of limiting your choices a bit there, not so ?

In many cases, the airline sites have the best fares, as you don't end up paying booking fees.

I use Kayak and SideStep to get a general idea of fares and room rates and end up going directly to an airline's or hotel's website.

PlymSpotter

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 11):
Haha - my blacklisting of Southwest UK-based hippies in the system worked - success !!

Curious - we do have a facility in the system to apply legal embargos, where agencies in a country are not allowed to sell travel to a particular destination, but those rules only apply the US, generally, and Opodo uses an office per site, eg. a French office for the .fr site. Were you using Opodo.co.uk ? The amadeus.net site uses a Nice office, so should not have been affected at all. Very strange - glad its working again.

Moi - a hippy?  Wow! Why, I'll have you know that I am in fact an elegant and highly cultured Lord of these pleasant Southern lands  snooty   Wink

It was Opodo.co.uk which I was using in conjunction with Amadeus - again the UK site. At first I thought it was just Iran Air who had perhaps withdrawn access to their systems, I know the leadership does random things like withdraw the entire internet from the country when they feel like it, but then I tried checking flights from DAM-ALP in Syria and again it insisted there were no flights available between the two cities on any dates.  Confused I managed to find out the information I wanted through the airlines own sites in the end - for once SyrianAir actually worked and Iran Air's own site also has useful, if probably now out of date fare information. Strange indeed - but it is all back to normal now.  Smile

Dan Smile

Boston92

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
I use Kayak and SideStep to get a general idea of fares and room rates and end up going directly to an airline's or hotel's website.

Right. Kayak is better tha United when you want to see times and schedules, but the actual booking is done at www.ual.com

Anyone use www.itasoftware.com ? I still do not know how it even works.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
In many cases, the airline sites have the best fares, as you don't end up paying booking fees.

Yes, they have good fares, but only for that airline. You are right to look on general sites first, and then double-check on the airlines site to see if you can get anything better. General sites like Opodo or Orbitz are a good first stop.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 17):
At first I thought it was just Iran Air who had perhaps withdrawn access to their systems, I know the leadership does random things like withdraw the entire internet from the country when they feel like it, but then I tried checking flights from DAM-ALP in Syria and again it insisted there were no flights available between the two cities on any dates.

How far in the future were you looking ? Some airlines don't publish schedules a year in advance, some only provide 6 or 9 months at a time, depending on the detail period available in their systems.

srbmod

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 19):
How far in the future were you looking ? Some airlines don't publish schedules a year in advance, some only provide 6 or 9 months at a time, depending on the detail period available in their systems.

What's odd is for example Delta. Right now, I can look up and book a fare many months in advance, but their flight schedules program you can download only provided schedules up to a certain date. For example, right now, the schedule available through the downloadable program go through February 12, 2008, yet you can book way past that online.

PlymSpotter

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 19):

It was for October and November of this year - or whenever I think my University will not miss me for a couple of weeks  Wink

Dan Smile

JGPH1A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 21):
It was for October and November of this year

Hmmm - the new northern winter schedule starts at the end of October, perhaps they hadn't got them loaded up when you were looking.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 21):
or whenever I think my University will not miss me for a couple of weeks

Idle scruffbag ! Good to see taxpayers hard earned money subsidising your 707 flights !

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
What's odd is for example Delta. Right now, I can look up and book a fare many months in advance, but their flight schedules program you can download only provided schedules up to a certain date. For example, right now, the schedule available through the downloadable program go through February 12, 2008, yet you can book way past that online.

DL change their schedule quite radically on a weekly basis at least, I know - much more than most other carriers, even the other US majors. Maybe they don't want to pubish anything on the website too far ahead (despite allowing you to book). Anything you do book for the future is liable to be subject to multiple changes of schedules if booked to far in advance.

fxramper

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:27 am

qixo

airplane 

Maracucho85

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting Buck3y3nut (Reply 9):
Another one:
www.itasoftware.com
that's the one I prefer. Search there, then book through the airlines' website...

I completely agree with Buck3y3nut. I´ve found ITA Software the one system thats been able to include most of the airlines (If not all). Yes, you cannot book your flight through their site but it´s the info what I find most useful. Take a look at it.

Regards from Venezuela,

Alberto

AirlineFanatic

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 am

any sites that will allow you to mix cabins on a r/t or multi-leg trip?

sk601

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:56 am

I like www.priceline.com , just found a few good deals in CA, NV and FL.

YYZflyer

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:29 am

We use expedia. Sometimes when I'm bored, I just check out how much a flight to somewhere is and the aircraft flying there.  Big grin
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 22):
Idle scruffbag ! Good to see taxpayers hard earned money subsidising your 707 flights !

Very good indeed bigthumbsup  Would you rather I spent it on beer and lose women?  Wink

exFATboy

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:48 am

I usually book on the airlines' own sites, so I use Kayak for research, then hop over and book directly. If it's a multi-carrier itinerary, I use Orbitz - I just prefer the layout to Expedia or Travelocity.

Most European LCCs don't appear on Orbitz, though, so I use whichbudget.com to see who flies the route, then book directly.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 28):
Would you rather I spent it on beer and lose women?

Beer and loose women is always a quality use of money...  biggrin 

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 28):
Would you rather I spent it on beer and lose women?

Beer, yes. But I'm afraid even loose women have SOME standards, no matter how much cash you throw at them.

curticool

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting Fllcontinental (Thread starter):
1) Orbitz.com

You Can't Beat Orbitz
-Curticool Big grin
N102DA