Pe@rson
Topic Author

Aviation Career Suggestions

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:51 am

I’ll be a 26-year-old student next year when I begin Air Transport Management at Loughborough University. I have in the past studied at university.

Anyway, my key interests are cost control, cost cutting, efficiency/productivity, market stimulation, and ancillary revenue. (It’s eye-opening how passionate I can get about potentially boring subjects. And you’d never guess that I’m a fan of Ryanair’s operation.) Of course, interests can change and new ones come about.

Assuming I get the degree I want (which I will make sure I do), I’m not yet sure whether I want to pursue an academic career or work for an airline. Assuming the latter, I’d appreciate some suggestions, particularly from those with work for airlines, for entry roles based on my key interests.

Cheers.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

speedbirdegjj

RE: Aviation Career Suggestions

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:56 am

Hello Mate, Long time no speak, hope your well?

Based on the above, its sounds like network planning or revenue management might be the way to go, they both encompass pretty much the things you've listed. Certainly the commercial side, along with guys like me in the sales team look after things such as those. Bewarned though that they're not necessarily the best paid roles (nor the worst by a long shot) but you'd probably make more outside of the airlines.

PM me if you want more details or advice, and let me know when your in Jersey next - i'll buy you a pint!

Cheers

Pe@rson
Topic Author

RE: Aviation Career Suggestions

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks, JJ! I've sent you an email.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."