SirDeath
Topic Author

What Has The TSA Taken From You And Why?

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:30 pm

I've stated in some previous threads that the TSA has taken a vast array of things from me in the name of national security and given me usually shaky explanations. I was wondering what everyone else has had taken from them. Here's my list and reasons:
$900 Mont Blanc pen (liquid ink and it could be used as a weapon)
sandwich with "too much" mustard ON THE SANDWICH (mustard is a liquid)
one dozen jelly doughnuts (contain liquid)
steel-toed boots (a weapon)
sport coat (buttons had "sharp backing" and were heavy, and considered a weapon)
a rotary telephone (it looked too much like a "suspicious device" and TSA couldn't (read as wouldn't) figure out how to disassemble it without destroying it)
cupcakes (frosting is a gel, and you can't just scrape it off)

AirTranTUS

RE: What Has The TSA Taken From You And Why?

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Absolutely nothing!! Big grin

Of course, I don't fly that often.
I love ASO!

SkyexRamper

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:13 pm

My dignity and American pride....oh wait, that was GWB. They've stolen my hard earned tax dollars and squandered it away to pay for their over priced services.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

nycflyer

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:13 pm

They opened up my toiletry bag after my carry-on went through the scanner.

They confiscated my practically-empty tube of toothpaste. However, they let me keep a large, full bottle of contact lens solution. They said that contact lens solutions were now permissible, but good lord, it seems totally inconsistent from a security perspective.

Another time I had come straight from a wedding, and had a corkscrew in my carry-on, with an engraving of the date and my friends' wedding. That was not permitted, though I can understand.

National757

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Nothing. Luckily I know how to read and use the internet to view the items I can and cannot bring on board the aircraft. I always check anything questionable to avoid any problems with the screeners. Haven't had any problems as of yet (knock on wood)

jlbmedia

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:27 pm

My desire to fly. It is not worth being yelled at, insulted and generally disrespected, in order to be allowed to fly.
JLB54061

phoenixflyer

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Not something they took away but something they should have; I accidently packed a full VitaminWater in my backpack. I meant to just put it on my backpack when packing but it slipped in and I forgot about it. I went through security without a problem.

B747forever

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:16 pm

They took a water bottle from me back in the winter when I flew from LAX to LHR.
Then I cant remember anything more.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LAXspotter

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:24 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 2):
My dignity and American pride....oh wait, that was GWB. They've stolen my hard earned tax dollars and squandered it away to pay for their over priced services.

exactly how I feel.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

bennett123

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Is there any way to check that goods seized have been passed on rather than pocketed by the TSA Agent concerned.

Siege2L

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:25 pm

Departing FLL, a small travel-size SEALED bottle of Scope mouthwash ( because you never know when you sit next to a cute seat mate you want to converse with ) was confiscated because I did not have a ziploc sandwich bag to place it in. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO THINK ABOUT BUYING A PLASTIC BAG WHEN ON HOLIDAY. I opened the mouthwash, consumed, cleansed my palate, and dispensed the breath of fresh air into their small trash can just beside the conveyor belt. I made my point and wished the TSA agent a pleasant work day with my uber-fake smile that you would get in Los Angeles.  Smile Thank God for the DL Crown Room with fully-stocked bar.  Smile

Departing LAX, red-eye ( which means many departures south-of-the-border with many many many pax at security ) Terminal 6 CO flight. I had a pair of furry handcuffs. I was bringing it to a bachelor party as a gag gift. TSA said this is forbidden on the plane. I kindly asked if the TSA agent would ask his supervisor to let me take it onboard. The TSA agent waived the furry handcuffs high in the air and yelled across 6 security lines, ' can this pax take these onboard?' TSA Supervisor said 'no'. TSA agent in my line said, 'sorry to ruin your plans' - and looked at me as if I am some sort of slut. Can you imagine the embarrassment? I board my flight walking through the aisle and noticing the knowing gazes and quirky smiles. I think just about the whole plane knew what was going on. How's that for an E!True Hollywood Story???

Departing EWR, tweezers. Gentleman, it is about being well-groomed, not perfumed.

Lastly, departing DCA. Zippo lighter - vintage. To all you fellow smokers out there, do you feel my pain?

SIDE NOTE: Rock-the Vote. You have the power to change this dictatorship we now call the USA. You have the right to be informed. Educate yourselves. Vote.

Thank you all for letting me rant. These days, I just enjoy our beautiful sunny California weather and have hope for the best. I wish every member on this forum all the best in your travels with all sincerety.
Flying higher than over your dreams...

commander_rabb

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting SirDeath (Thread starter):
Here's my list and reasons:
sport coat (buttons had "sharp backing" and were heavy, and considered a weapon)
a rotary telephone (it looked too much like a "suspicious device" and TSA couldn't (read as wouldn't) figure out how to disassemble it without destroying it)

I don't belive you. Especially the Mont Blanc Pen. Sorry but I just don't.

Rabbit

macc

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:47 pm

not TSA, but we have similar folks over here as well. Had a little glass of Wachauer Marillenmarmelade (special Austrian jam) in my bag as a gift for a business partner. Day trip without checked baggage. Of course they took it from me. Its ridiculous but the rest was even more so. I asked if sausages would be allowed. Answer: if its a hard one!!

well boy, would you care to feel... Big grin
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

ikramerica

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:03 pm

At LAX T4 they forced me to check a bag because it had an ethernet/telephone terminator crimping tool that was .25" longer than the maximum length of tool you are allowed to board with. This tool had no cutting edge, and I had the other parts with me and I took the tool out and placed it separately on the belt so they could see it, but no, it was .25" too long.

So I had to check the bag, which of course meant an extra 30 minutes waiting at MIA hoping someone hadn't stolen anything out of my carryon, since MIA is notorious for such acts. But luckily, though it was last to come out (and had a priority tag on it, thus assuring it comes out last at Florida airports...), it did arrive in one piece.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

corey07850

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:28 pm

Quoting Commander_Rabb (Reply 11):
I don't belive you. Especially the Mont Blanc Pen. Sorry but I just don't.

Rabbit

I completely agree with you.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:40 pm

What:

Dignity
Happiness
Patience

Why:

Who in the world knows?

Wink

NG1Fan

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:58 pm

In Australia - two jars of Rosella Jam (native Hibiscus - the petals go to make jam - delicious!). I went under gels and condiments section.

NG1Fan

BigJimFX

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:24 pm

I had a pocket knife and cigar cutter (confiscated I guess) from my checked luggage. Which is interesting because I flew there with them without a problem. The kicker is... The pocket knife was a gift from my grandfather, who's funeral I was attending. When it didn't make it back with me I logged a complaint. TSA replied that they would reimburse the "fair market value" Whats the "fair market value" of a 60 yr old heirloom?
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

airlineaddict

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:13 pm

My wife has had two TSA approved bag locks taken in New Orleans by check-in baggage screeners.

Her bags were "inspected", but the locks were not returned.

[Edited 2007-09-20 14:14:20]

Dtw757

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting Siege2L (Reply 10):
SIDE NOTE: Rock-the Vote. You have the power to change this dictatorship we now call the USA. You have the right to be informed. Educate yourselves. Vote.

I love it how we get attacked by terrorists and somehow it's the fault of the president that we have to take extra precautions to keep these kinds of acts from happening again. Any president man or woman, Democrat or Republican would be forced to act to make our travel "safer" in our eyes. We all want to go back to the days where we can carry anything onto the airplane or have anyone go to the boarding gate but unfortunately, it was Osama bin Laden and Al Qaida that took that away from us, not the president.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

TWFirst

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Brand-new, unopened jar of JIF Peanut Butter (it's classified as a gel).

Brand new tube of toothpaste that was 5oz instead of 3 (forgot I had it).... when I then squirted more than half of the tube into the garbage right in front of them, they said it still wouldn't be allowed.

Otherwise, all other times I sail right through with my gels/liquids under 3oz in my Ziplock bag  Yeah sure

At EWR, they don't pay any attention to the gel/liquid thing...have been through several times... they never ask, they never look at the bag... nothing.

At BMI, and other small airports... Barney Fifes scrutinize everything down to your bodily fluids... there can be only 3oz or less of urine in your bladder, or your frisked and handcuffed.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

United_fan

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 pm

Aersol glass cleaner on 2 separate occasions , taken out of my checked baggage. Once with a note,once with a scolding in SEA. Was also told that 'the authorities' would be visiting my residence upon my return home. I told them 'come on by,I'de love to talk to them' . To which I was given a dirty look. Now can anyone tell me why you can bring aerosol deodorant in a checked bag,but not glass cleaner for my glasses??
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

kstatepilot

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:01 am

My dignity and American pride....oh wait, that was GWB.

This is an aviation board, not a POLITICAL BOARD!! If you want to debate politics, feel free to send me a message and we can debate this all day long. but not on here!

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 19):
love it how we get attacked by terrorists and somehow it's the fault of the president that we have to take extra precautions to keep these kinds of acts from happening again. Any president man or woman, Democrat or Republican would be forced to act to make our travel "safer" in our eyes. We all want to go back to the days where we can carry anything onto the airplane or have anyone go to the boarding gate but unfortunately, it was Osama bin Laden and Al Qaida that took that away from us, not the president.

Nicely said.

Here is my story:
After taking a Beech Sundowner to California, I was getting on a plane back home. I was tagged with SSSS. When I got to the security checkpoint, the screener opened my flight bag. He noticed that I had approach plates for half of the U.S. He interrogated me about why I had these. Even wanted to take them from me. Had to get the supervisor and show them my pilot's license to keep the charts.

clickhappy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:06 am

Two brand new Nintendo DS intended as Christmas gifts for my children.

BlatantEcho

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am

all sorts of stuff from toothpaste to sunscreen.

it's certainly insane beyond words.
They're not handing trophies out today

PacNWjet

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 23):

What were the reasons given for confiscating these? People bring millions of electronic devices onto airplanes every day, from cell phones, to laptop computers, to MP3 players, to hand-held video games. What did the TSA guys say? Really curious.

I have never had anything confiscated, but I did witness a woman at Salt Lake City who was returning from Mexico and had purchased some perfume at the duty free shop in Mexico. When going back through security after clearing customs at SLC the TSA agents told her she couldn't carry through the perfume even though it was in a cellophane-wrapped (factory sealed) box (apparently still a violation of the liquids rule).

SkyexRamper

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:01 am

I love it how we get attacked by terrorists and somehow it's the fault of the president that we have to take extra precautions to keep these kinds of acts from happening again. Any president man or woman, Democrat or Republican would be forced to act to make our travel "safer" in our eyes. We all want to go back to the days where we can carry anything onto the airplane or have anyone go to the boarding gate but unfortunately, it was Osama bin Laden and Al Qaida that took that away from us, not the president.

There is a definite line between national security and treating people like humans instead of lame dogs.

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 22):
This is an aviation board, not a POLITICAL BOARD!! If you want to debate politics, feel free to send me a message and we can debate this all day long. but not on here!

I was simply answering the question...take nothing personal.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

zvezda

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:59 am

They left a scanning wand in my carry-on when they zipped it up after searching it. When I discovered it and returned it, I was nearly arrested.

JKJ777

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:00 am

Pride, dignity, and a lot of my time......as well as a few more unnecessary heart beats. other than that, nothing.

clickhappy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:02 am

They were in check-in bags with TSA locks.

When I got home the locks were still intact, I had a "we screened your bag card from the TSA (complete with fancy hologram)" and 2 missing Nintendos.

jnj561

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:06 am

You can always tell now when they inspect your checked bags - they stopped leaving a card inside the bag and instead keep my TSA locks.

jfk69

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:07 am

My wife is Diabetic so she always carries a childs size juice box of Apple Juice. This past trip in SEA, the TSA were giving her a hard time about it, even with them seeing her doctors notes and even with them seeing her Insulin and needles.......They would not let us go until I saw the starbucks out of the corner of my eye and said "We will get some juice there"........As we are walking away, 1 juice box light she noted to me "Let me put my keys away...with the POCKET KNIFE I have attached to it"........TSA is a bunch of asses.

SirDeath
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:07 am

You may not believe the pen bit, but it unfortunately is quite real. Due to my fat hands and writing style, I use fountain pens with fairly fine points. After taking the pen (which was fairly large), they said it had too much liquid in it. I offered to drain all the ink, whereupon they told me that they couldn't make sure all the ink was gone, and that it still "looked like a knife" and that they wouldn't allow it on, just like they wouldn't let knitting needles on. We (my wife) had to get to OSL on time to ink a deal (worth a lot more than $900 in the long run), so that was that. Still more than annoying!

beeweel15

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 23):

Well the TSA agent eyed it for his/her kids and it is an easy way to steal.

You can buy those behind the security check point with TSA approved mustard , jelly and frosting.

I wear those every day at the airport for safety reasons.

The bottom line the TSA rules are stupid and the sad thing is the a real true terrorist can walk by them with ease. They just target the wrong people and things. And many time that secret tests are done they fail every time.

robsawatsky

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 am

A pair of scissors accidently left in a carry-on bag.

Other than that, the TSA has only taken the intagibles of civil rights and liberty. What happened to the US slogan of "give me liberty or give me death"?

Osama bin Laden and Al Qaida are the excuse for the action, they performed direct and dastardly deeds against US citizens and many others around the world. However, the response is totally in the control of the US gov't and is questionable at best if not unconstitutional given the totality of the response beside TSA. It is an indictment of the politicians that they've have used these tragic events for propaganda, misinformation and manipulation of public opinion so as to generate fear that can be exploited to restrict and even terminate civil rights that for so many are the hallmark of US democratic ideals.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 4):
Nothing. Luckily I know how to read and use the internet to view the items I can and cannot bring on board the aircraft. I always check anything questionable to avoid any problems with the screeners. Haven't had any problems as of yet (knock on wood)

Are cupcakes and sandwich on that internet list you read?

SirDeath -- next time, check all your questionable foodstuffs to avoid problems with the screeners.  sarcastic 

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 6):
Not something they took away but something they should have; I accidently packed a full VitaminWater in my backpack. I meant to just put it on my backpack when packing but it slipped in and I forgot about it. I went through security without a problem.

I brought a full-sized Swiss Army knife on a NRT-SFO flight earlier this year, it happens.
7 hours aint long-haul

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:34 am

We all want to go back to the days where we can carry anything onto the airplane or have anyone go to the boarding gate but unfortunately, it was Osama bin Laden and Al Qaida that took that away from us, not the president.

Apparently they were just trying to help us lose weight as a country, by denying us our doughnuts and cupcakes.

No one wants to be allowed to carry "anything" onto an airplane, but we'd like it to be reasonable and consistent.

Theory to increase security?  checkmark  Implementation?  thumbsdown 

/feeding troll (sorry guys, couldn't resist)
7 hours aint long-haul

zvezda

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 33):
And many time that secret tests are done they fail every time.

It's completely obvious that the testing shows the TSA are less effective than the pre-9/11 private screeners. Even to people who don't understand that private contractors always do a better job for less money than government employees, the salient fact is that the airlines were allowed to run tests against the privately run checkpoints. It is illegal for the airlines to run tests against the TSA because the results would be too embarrassing compared to pre-9/11.

sh0rtybr0wn

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:45 am

They're trying hard to help , but much of the time they confiscate really dumb things. If a terrorist group really wanted to take down planes, they wouldn't look like my mom with a nail clipper.

They probably do something that would be very difficult to stop, like this: ( note the small amount )

Modern Binary Explosives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8qZIChny0

SirDeath
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:54 am

I just think this "Zero Tolerance" mentality, results in dumb as a brick "thinking" since things which obviously aren't a threat (maybe in the case of the mustard they thought I would cause trouble with my own flatus?) are considered weapons. On a tangent, I bring baked goods on flights almost everytime. Some for myself, some for my companions, and plenty to share with those around me (if I brought a dozen doughnuts, I'd share at least half of them). I'd usually end up connecting through EWR or sitting on the ground in DFW IAH or ATL and it was nice for myself and people around me to have some food and friendly conversation. Thanks to the way I'd get routed, delays were (are) almost inevitable. Sometimes the doughnuts would still be warm (I'd get them fresh out of the cooker on the way to the airport). I won't even get regular doughnuts anymore because if the icing starts to "sweat" that too is a liquid. Still muffins and cookies haven't been taken yet. Also another tip, they won't let ice packs through to keep food cool, but they WILL let pre-sealed bags of frozen peas through. They work well as ice packs. Just make sure they don't "sweat"!

yfbflyer

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 3):
They said that contact lens solutions were now permissible, but good lord, it seems totally inconsistent from a security perspective.

That's pretty ironic considering the only "successful" bombing of a commercial airliner with liquid explosives was done with a bottle of contact lens solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434

rogerbcn

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:43 am

Hola!

When I arrived to SEA last Christmas the border agents took my bags, emptied all, went all through my sweaters, shirts, pants, underwear.... emptied my wallet looking at every single card, even typing some of the names in the computer... I was taken aside to a separate room: full, really full, body search... taken all my clothes off.... accompanied to the bathroom, asked not to flush the toilet...

BTW, nothing was taken away, excluding my dignity and my wish to come back.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Travelling is Living)

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:58 am

In November, 2001, they insisted on taking a clear, ziplock, bag containing soy powder shake mix. I had been carrying this continuously from August of that year. In spite of many complete bag searches starting in September, no one had challenged this item until I tried to fly home on Thanksgiving. Putting it in context, this was the period of the big Anthrax scare. How could the checkpoint inspectors even think that my baggie contained Anthrax? If they did, they would have had to evacuate the entire city of Indianapolis! They insisted that this was a banned item. I asked for documentation of that claim. This brought forth the police and hazardous materials squad of the airport fire department. Of course, it was a lie as I had all of the lists published by the FAA and airlines. But, they insisted that if I didn't give up my protein shake mix, I would be arrested and not able to travel.

On another occasion, at the same airport, I was delayed for 25 minutes while the inspector repeatedly ran my stuff through the X-ray machines. The big score: one of those hotel issued sewing kits with one needle! Of course, these inspectors are trying to prevent terrorists from hurting people. But, really, do they have to refuse the assistance of the owner in identifying the contents of luggage or pointing out where something might be? Is all of this necessary when the passenger is a properly credentialed airline crewmember who has been finger printed, background checked to birth, and carries govt. security clearances?

I guess that we cannot be TOO SAFE.

jeffry747

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:17 am

At RNO they would not let me take on two SEALED cans of Dr. Pepper. Personally I don't see how unopened soda cans can be much of a threat considering the airlines can put them on the planes, but whatever. When they said I could not take them, I politely aked the TSA agents if they wanted to drink them, why waste them? I guess TSA don't drink Dr. Pepper at RNO because they ended up in the garbage. Oh well.

To add insult to injury, UAL didn't even offer drinks on this leg of my journey because it was just a half hour jaunt to SFO.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

afterburner

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:47 pm

They shouldn't allow women with breast implants! The implants contain liquid/gel.  Silly

greggarious

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:32 pm

My dignity, because of Richard Reid.

Also, an Orangina (admittedly, my own fault, but still!!!)

Fortunately, my love of airports and flying remain intact. Take that, TSA!  Big grin

n710ps

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:21 am

My dignity. I had my crew ID and went through security at CVG to go home to NY one morning. I never pay attention to my boarding pass and as a non rev even though from another carrier I did not expect to get the dreaded S stamping on my pass. So I get to the gate , get all the way on board and they pull me and tell me I need to get rescreened with 10 minutes to door close. If you know CVG that means I would have missed the flight. So they ask me how I got through and I pull out my badge. They yell at me first and than frisk me and I make it with two minutes to go for door close and push. They screened me at the gate. Just lovely.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

alfa75

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:54 am

My dignity and American pride....oh wait, that was GWB.

So that's not ok.....

love it how we get attacked by terrorists and somehow it's the fault of the president that we have to take extra precautions to keep these kinds of acts from happening again. Any president man or woman, Democrat or Republican would be forced to act to make our travel "safer" in our eyes. We all want to go back to the days where we can carry anything onto the airplane or have anyone go to the boarding gate but unfortunately, it was Osama bin Laden and Al Qaida that took that away from us, not the president.

Nicely said.

but this was ok?

Make up your mind.
The best things in life aren't things!

alfa75

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 29):
They were in check-in bags with TSA locks.

When I got home the locks were still intact, I had a "we screened your bag card from the TSA (complete with fancy hologram)" and 2 missing Nintendos.

Don't airlines recommend to not check electronic devices? I don't trust the TSA or baggage handlers with my battery chargers.
The best things in life aren't things!

n710ps

Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:29 am

I do not check bags. EVER. If I need to fly I carry on though in our family of carriers we arer elidgeable for reimbursement.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!