Yellowstone
Topic Author

CO Y-class Meal Service: What To Expect?

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:29 pm

I just recently purchased a trip back to SJC to visit my family over Christmas Break, going BOS-EWR-SJC on Continental in economy class. When I booked the flight, I was pleasantly surprised (this is my first trip on CO) to see that on the EWR-SJC flight, they would serve dinner. However, I couldn't find much on their website about how exactly CO defines "dinner." So, a question for those of you who fly CO: what sort of meal service can I expect?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

CaptOveur

RE: CO Y-class Meal Service: What To Expect?

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:40 pm

HA!! A meal? on a flight? What country do you think you are in?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

swiss-airplane

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:48 pm

Well, a bit out of the exact topic, but I flew recently EWR-SEA and LAX-EWR with CO on their morning flights and they served a hot eggsandwich, a muffin, a yoghurt and a small fruit salad. The whole meal was more than fillig (I could not eat everything) but the service was very nice.
You should expect a hot sandwich and a salad (I had that on a EWR-IAH lunchflight) plus a chocolate bar.
Greets

Fly764

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:24 am

The EWR-SJC-EWR segments will be a hot egg sandwich, fruit, yogurt, and a small muffin if your flight is around breakfast time. If it is lunch or dinner you will get a cheeseburger, BBQ chicken sandwich, plain breaded chicken sandwhich, beef and swiss sandwich(similar to a cheese steak) , pizza, chicken wrap, or a strombolli. No there won't be a choice hahaha. Along with one of those hot items you will get a salad, a bag of chips most likely, and some type of dessert which will most likely be two milano cookies or a brownie. Hope this helps.

IAHFLYR

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 1):
What country do you think you are in?

CO country.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

ayubogg

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 1):
HA!! A meal? on a flight? What country do you think you are in?

Well CO is as far as I know the only airline in the US that still serves a hot meal in domestic flights. I just flew them on June and my dinner was a hot chicken sandwich with a salad, chips, a drink and a dessert. It was good. I would expect the same for the SJC flight.

Enjoy CO because they are great!

-Ayubogg
Alba gu bràth

bok269

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:03 pm

They also offer a full gambit of special meals if you so desire. I usually go with the Kosher meal as I am Kosher style, and it is usually quite delicious. Enjoy flying CO, I know I do.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Pe@rson

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 pm

This seems a good place to ask my question. I'll be flying LGW-EWR-MEX and PTY-EWR-LGW with CO. What meals can I expect on each leg? Thanks.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

exFATboy

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 7):
This seems a good place to ask my question. I'll be flying LGW-EWR-MEX and PTY-EWR-LGW with CO. What meals can I expect on each leg?

LGW-EWR should be a full meal and a second snack later - I flew BRS-EWR last week in coach and had a small, but pretty tasty, lunch of beef and potatoes, with a fresh salad and a brownie just after takeoff (10:30 AM), and then a small sandwich, crisps, and a small candy bar shortly before arrival. The sandwich was a little disappointing - one small slice of chicken, but the roll was very fresh. Last year when I took the same flight, the second snack was a hot mini-pizza.

I'm not sure about the EWR-MEX and PTY-EWR legs, it'll depend on the flight times. If you're in the air at a meal time, you should get a hot meal. If it happens that no meal time (based on departure airport) coincides with the flight, there may be a small snack, or just nuts.

Pe@rson

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:48 am

Thanks.

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 8):
I'm not sure about the EWR-MEX and PTY-EWR legs, it'll depend on the flight times. If you're in the air at a meal time, you should get a hot meal. If it happens that no meal time (based on departure airport) coincides with the flight, there may be a small snack, or just nuts.

Can't remember the exact times, but:

EWR-MEX leaves EWR around 5pm.

PTY-EWR leaves PTY around 930am.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

JGPH1A

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting Swiss-airplane (Reply 2):
a hot eggsandwich

A hot egg sandwich ? Egg sandwiches should be cold. I shall inform the Fatwaic Council immediately. Expect reprisals shortly.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Slovacek747

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:44 am

Finally I got unbanned so I can post. Though they may not have a 5 star meal, at least you should receive something, which I can't say for other airlines unless you buy on board. To me that means a lot and is one reason I keep flying them.

N801NW

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:34 am

On August 30, CO served the infamous Pizza on flight 462. It came with the previously mentioned salad and a bag of chips. I didn't notice a desert. I passed on the offering. The SJC-EWR flight is quite a contrast, they serve 50 calories worth of pretzels and a drink.

TrijetsRMissed

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:29 pm

What is the requirement for flight time on CO to get a meal in Y? Transcon for hot meal, four or more hours for a cold sandwich? Is it possible that CO will eventually revert to BOB like everyone else?
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

TSS

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 13):
What is the requirement for flight time on CO to get a meal in Y? Transcon for hot meal, four or more hours for a cold sandwich?

Even IAH-RNO (which is less than half transcon) at lunch time gets a hot sandwich, salad, and dessert on CO.
I have never seen CO serve cold sandwiches at all, but my experience with them is somewhat limited.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

bok269

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:05 pm

N77014

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:07 pm

To give credit where credit is due, likely the last legacy still giving a "free" meal in Y.

Again, nothing I'd pay for out of my own pocket, but decent nonetheless.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

bok269

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 16):

CO is the only one. AA offers something of a marginally (Very marginal) better quality (sandwhich only) for $5.

HA_DC9

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:18 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 16):
To give credit where credit is due, likely the last legacy still giving a "free" meal in Y.

Legacy yes, last US airline no...HA still serves a free hot Y meal consisting of 1 of 2 choices of entrees, salad, roll and cookies on all 767 flights except for the red-eyes and late-night flights which get downgraded to a cold sandwich with chips and cookie. AQ used to serve a hot meal as well, but I believe have since downgraded to cold sandwiches for all mainland flights in Y unfortunately. I hope CO continues their meals and not go the way of others and switch to BOB.

[Edited 2007-09-23 09:20:26]

[Edited 2007-09-23 09:21:09]

davescj

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:29 pm

CO website gives the meal times/options. As a norm, I think 4 hrs is hot meal. I have flown 1 1/2 hr flights (say IAH to ELP) and gotten b'fast snack -- banana nut cake, or at lunch and gotten 3'' sub sandwich (usually turkey or ham). The same snack is given Newark -MKE as well as IAH -- MKE. As of now, CO has no plans to discontinue service of meals. In part, because they use it as an adversizing ploy.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?