N77014
Topic Author

The Hot Meal In Y Thread...

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:50 pm

With legacy carriers recently reporting profit, would you agree it is time to bring back the hot meal in Y for flights over 2.5 hours?

Would you insist on a "free" meal a la CO?

Or a BOB product as long as it was an upgraded meal?

Your ideal Y class meal?

Mine:

An Asian chicken salad with tangerine slices and fried noodles, fruit ambrosia dessert cup, and a can of Diet Coke.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

ikramerica

RE: The Hot Meal In Y Thread...

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:14 pm

Quoting N77014 (Thread starter):

I'd pay $5-8 for a quality sandwich. I think some of the CO hot sandwich things are lacking and wish they would just offer a nice cold turkey, lettuce and tomato on a roll once in a while. But to save cost and prevent spoilage, they did away with most vegies in Y long ago...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

andz

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:46 pm

reporting profit

An Asian chicken salad with tangerine slices and fried noodles, fruit ambrosia dessert cup, and a can of Diet Coke.

WTF??? Fruit ambrosia??? There goes the profit then. You'd be lucky to get a sandwich.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

N77014
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
I'd pay $5-8 for a quality sandwich. I think some of the CO hot sandwich things are lacking and wish they would just offer a nice cold turkey, lettuce and tomato on a roll once in a while. But to save cost and prevent spoilage, they did away with most vegies in Y long ago...

Agreed. I find the BBQ and hot meat sandwhich in gravy on the lower end of what I find respectable as an onboard meal.

I'd rather see a freshly made Caesar salad or even a Subway-type sandwich with kettle cooked potato chips instead on a shorter segment.

I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a premium meal; smoked salmon, bagels and lox, premium hot pastrami with a mustard potato salad...you get the picture.

I would also want a meal option available on the red eyes as well...Nothing is worse than getting to the east coast and finding the food court all closed up upon arrival.

asuflyer05

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:49 pm

My preferred meal is food from the terminal.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
I think some of the CO hot sandwich things are lacking and wish they would just offer a nice cold turkey, lettuce and tomato on a roll once in a while

I have had the CO Turkey sandwich on my last 5 flights. I think it is here to stay and thankfully seems to have replaced the infamous CO Coach Beef Sanwich. Though I had the CO BusinessFirst Beef Sandwich which comprised of dried Angus Beef, garlic, onions, peppers, and lots of salt.

N77014
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 4):
I have had the CO Turkey sandwich on my last 5 flights. I think it is here to stay and thankfully seems to have replaced the infamous CO Coach Beef Sanwich. Though I had the CO BusinessFirst Beef Sandwich which comprised of dried Angus Beef, garlic, onions, peppers, and lots of salt.

Are you talking about the Lloyd's branded beef sandwich?

As far as the salt content...it is well known most airline food is heavily laden with MSG and other preservatives.

LDIkaros

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:49 pm

With legacy carriers recently reporting profit, would you agree it is time to bring back the hot meal in Y for flights over 2.5 hours?

As long as the food tastes good and is healthy (no junk food) I wouldn't mind paying $$. Better than getting some free junk.

Sounds good. I doubt, though, that this will ever be offered on US domestic carriers.

AlexPorter

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:57 am

I think this could be made more cost-effective if they replaced all-day BOB on those flights with a system of hot meals only at mealtimes, and beverage-only service in Y at other times.

The "ideal" meal depends on the length of flight and the cities involved, but I certainly wouldn't make it that big. Something like a small hot entree and a small side item or two.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

lrdc9

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 am

I wouldn't mind a BBQ pulled pork sandwich, a root beer and one of those delightful DQ blizzards. And maybe some carrots or something . . .  tongue 
Just say NO to scabs.

mal787

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Sounds like you guys need an airline like QF meals on all domestic flights included in ticket price. Hot lunch and Dinner on most flights, breaky has gone continental style but still worth it. We still have to pay on Virgin and Jetstar but they are LCC anyway
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

InbarD

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting Mal787 (Reply 9):
Sounds like you guys need an airline like QF meals on all domestic flights included in ticket price. Hot lunch and Dinner on most flights, breaky has gone continental style but still worth it. We still have to pay on Virgin and Jetstar but they are LCC anyway

Amen. You even get a meal on BNE-SYD which is only 1 hour and 30 minutes long!

VonRichtofen

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:42 am

I was pleasantly surprised by AC's BOB products. Especially the Swiss Chalet Chicken sandwich with the spicy sauce. It had a real sliced chicken breast, real cheese, lettuce, tomato and the pack of sauce. $5 for the sandwich and drinks are still free on AC.

So all in all not bad! A good sandwich that fills you up, plus a can of pop all for $5! A lot better than $9 for an egg salad sandwich and a drink in the terminal.

Kris

laca773

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Does anyone know what DL has decided to be the final introduction date of the transition of offering BOB transcon first to JFK then other destinations including BOS, BDL,CVG, ATL, MCO, TPA, FLL? It sounds like their offerings are going to be similar to that of what they had on Song and they'll be expanding that. It definitely sounds better than the offerings AA has.

Ideal meals for me would be:

A nice large fresh fruit platter with a tasty warmed up muffin for Breakfast.

A large entree salad for lunch with chicken or something similar on it, a nice role and a nice dessert.

A nice piece of grilled meat, steak like DL offered before from Omaha steaks, or another salad entree. Pasta wouldn't be bad if it didn't have some heavy and nasty sauce on it, a nice roll and dessert.

LACA773

AY104

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 11):
I was pleasantly surprised by AC's BOB products.

I agree. On YVR-YUL and YUL-YVR, they actually came around at two different times during the flights. The sandwiches were fresh and tasty, and I like them a lot better than the hot meals anyway. They did an excellent service both ways, with plenty of go-arounds with the beverage carts as well. I had nothing to complain about during the appx 5 hrs flights. With the 2 services on a longer flight, it means you can eat when you like, or not at all, or twice if you are hungry. I think it beats the free meal service by a long way.
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

vhqpa

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting InbarD (Reply 10):

Amen. You even get a meal on BNE-SYD which is only 1 hour and 30 minutes long!

not to mention refreshments on 50 minute Qantaslink Dash 8 sectors

J
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

JRDC930

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:59 am

I will be hated by the CEO' on airliners dot net, who think any kind of cost for an airline is bad and that passengers should starve is good, but here goes...  flamed 

BOB is a load of crap, its a way of airlines to insult passengers, by charging them like a baseball stadium, charges for everything. You bay 4-500 dollars for a ticket, and have to pay for (often overpriced) crap. And your expected to like it. At least integrate the cost in the ticket price so one can get the "illusion" of a free meal.

I dont buy anyone's B S about free meals putting airlines bankrupt, or saving drastic costs. Ive done studies albeit not as in deph as some, on this and the savings are meager. if anything the cut meals so CEO's can screw the passengers and take pay increases for their new BMW's. I dont think its right to be starved on a flight 2.5 hrs or longer. A snack is fine for 2 hrs, but after that, and considering some of the time red eyes leave, eating before or after your flight isnt an option. But then again U.S. legacies give a rats ass about the consumer, so i would insist on a free meal, but it will never happen. Thats why i fly foreign airlines international, and now virgin America, even if the prices are a bit higher (too much an im forced to go with the crap legacies some times.).

I buy japanese cars; i fly foreign airlines. Avoid buying U.S. anything we produce crap; including air service... my humble opinion
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

Analog

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:49 am

Your ideal Y class meal?

Consistency and transparency are the important things. You should know what to expect. As long as that is what's provided, it's okay (as far as food goes).

If food is BoB, then it's important for the airline to provision the flight so that the food does not run out. I would be mighty annoyed if I was expecting a nice BoB meal, only to be told nothing was available.

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 15):
BOB is a load of crap, its a way of airlines to insult passengers, by charging them like a baseball stadium, charges for everything

CO's "free" pizza is an insult to passengers (I eat it anyway).  Smile

n710ps

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 8):
I wouldn't mind a BBQ pulled pork sandwich, a root beer and one of those delightful DQ blizzards. And maybe some carrots or something . . .

That sounds sooo orgasmic that I would need a smoke right there as soon as I finish it. So while we are at it lets bring back smoking sections on planes.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

wunala

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Looking at how much an airline actually pays for a meal, sort of makes you wonder about LCC. Food/drinks/merchandise are other revenue streams, which are additional to the price of the ticket. LCC's can be cheap, but often at the last minute they are similar or dearer than the traditional carriers.