vulindlela744

Going To Japan...ANA Or JAL?

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:04 am

I'm going to Tokyo early next year and wonder if anyone here has experienced JAL or ANA? Which one has the best service? The price is about the same. Any comments welcome.

Ryanair!!!

RE: Going To Japan...ANA Or JAL?

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:11 am

ANA appears to be miles ahead of their sister JAL in terms of service according to the reports here on airliners.net.

My experiences on JAL were rather "normal" because firstly they spoke very little English, secondly their modus operandi was very Japanese-oriented leaving foreigners like me feeling very ignored. I am not saying that the FAs were rude or aloof, they were just very distant and seem to treat Japanese pax a notch better than me. BUT that being said, ANA and JAL are still a good choice when compared to any North American / European carriers.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

AlexPorter

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:31 am

While JAL is certainly a good airline, ANA is probably considered to be in the top five of the world's airlines. They have wonderful service and I'd recommend ANA in this case. But either would be better than any of the U.S. options, including Continental.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Pellegrine

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 1):
their modus operandi was very Japanese-oriented

For what it's worth people DO say the same about ANA. If price is the same I'm another vote for NH.
oh boy, here we go!!!

whatusaid

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:44 am

I've flown both and would agree, ANA is a much better product. Their business class is miles ahead of JAL. I've had some bad experiences with JAL in terms of seat selection, showing up at the airport with no record of my pre-assigned seat. One trip ended up with my 14 year old on the upper deck and me on the lower - something I didn't like at all. Couldn't get anyone to move and the airline did nothing to let us have the seats that we originally booked. That said, neither is in the league of SK. As to the US carriers, they're all pretty bad in comparison to either ANA or JAL. I'm flying UA to Narita on Sunday and am not looking forward to 10 hrs and 42 minutes of misery. Why UA, well, with the hope of an upgrade.... I'd take upper deck on a 747 over a 777 anyday...

Stitch

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:45 am

Not sure what class you are flying, but NH New Style First Class is wonderful.

wingletsman

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:16 am

ANA, ANA

Wingletsman

LDIkaros

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:20 am

My vote goes to ANA.

I have flown both ANA and JAL in Y class a couple of times across the Pacific. Both are great carriers. However, ANA has a better IFE, better food (I had some of the best airline food ever on my last ANA flight), and the cabins are nicer.

Just make sure you preselect your seat if you fly Y class to avoid getting stuck in a middle seat. If you are a member of their frequent flyer club (signing up is free and easy) and book directly on their web site you can do that.

Have a great trip.

babybus

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:35 pm

I don't know about ANA or JAL to Japan but think about Air France. I used them on that route and I was not disappointed even in Y.

JAL,even among the Japanese, is said to be a bit above themselves.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

TimePilot

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:58 am

I guess I'll be the only one advocating JAL here. I fly JAL every year back and forth to the US. I have had very little trouble with them and they've always been nice. The food can be a little hit or miss, but this isn't the 1960s anymore, is it?

I've heard nothing but good things about ANA as well. I think with either one you'll be happy. If you want miles though check first which program your regular airline is in! JAL is One World and ANA is Star Alliance.

Happy flying and have fun in Japan  Smile

Siege2L

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:07 am

Honestly, each reply is based on personal experience and perhaps you should try both airlines. One-way on NH and the return on JL. I have flown both NH and JL from IAD and both were fantastic!!! Of course, this was some years ago, however both experiences have made lasting impressions. Try both!
Flying higher than over your dreams...

HT

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Siege2L (Reply 10):
try both airlines. One-way on NH and the return on JL.

Wouldn't that require 2 oneway tickets, thus increasing the costs considerably ?
Or do JL and NH both have switched thier pricing to oneway fares like LCC's do ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !