ammunition

Transit In AMS- 5:20 Mins- Enough Time To Hit AMS?

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi, i am travelling to istanbul in a few days time, just wondering if the connection time of 5 hours and 20 mins is enough to head to the city. I have been before many times, but never on a connection- is it recommended, Provided there are no delays. if i factor 1hr and 30 for return travel time, gives me a couple hours in AMS, is that fair?
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

greggarious

RE: Transit In AMS- 5:20 Mins- Enough Time To Hit

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Hey there! I was just in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago, and I'd probably say that going into the city for a couple of hours is quite feasible. The train from AMS to Centraal Station is probably closer to 20 minutes (and certainly no more than a half-hour, one way). There are a few things you can do with that amount of time, I feel. If you're into museums, catch a tram to Museumplein and choose between the Rijksmuseum (natl. art gallery, very nice!) or the Van Gogh Museum (my personal favourite of the two). Another option would be to stroll down the canal Prisengracht (slightly west of Centraal Station) for a half-hour or so until you get to the Anne Frank House. The line to get in might be a little long for you to go in, but its an impressive structure to look at in any case, and the surrounding area is lovely!

What you would do depends on whether you're willing to see the city on the fly, but I'd venture to say that 2-3 hours in Amsterdam gives you a plethrora of options to work with. Go for it, and have fun in Turkey, as well!

HT

RE: Transit In AMS- 5:20 Mins- Enough Time To Hit

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Ammunition (Thread starter):
connection time of 5 hours and 20 mins is enough to head to the city.

Yes, but come back to the airport in time, as lines at security can be long ...
Depending on the time of day and your departure gate, you should be queueing at security at 60 min before departure. (Better be safe than sorry).

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 1):
The train from AMS to Centraal Station is probably closer to 20 minutes (and certainly no more than a half-hour, one way).

15 to 19 minutes according to www.ns.nl

Buy your return ticket at Schiphol NS at a vending machine (you will need Euro-coins, some machines also work with an international debit card). If unable to use a machine go to ticket booth.

Using the vending machines:
The station code for Amsterdam Centraal is "1000".
Use options "2e klas" - "vol tarief" - "retour" - "allen vandag geldig" (please accept my apologies for any incorrect spellings but I hope you will be able to hit the correct buttons ...)
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !