folov

Working In JFK, Where To Live

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Hello all

I am considering a position in JFK.... But i have only been there for work and never got to visit much place. I am from LA and don t know much about the price of living there....

Where would be a nice safe and reasonably priced area to live with quick and easy access to JFK....I will be given a car, is it worth driving there.... Even though i still would like to have both option of driving and taking public transportation... Don t think i am picky, just used to drive here.

Any suggestion would be great

WesternA318

RE: Working In JFK, Where To Live

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:10 am

Forest Hills/Kew Gardens is nice, and not too far from JFK, and also on the E Subway line that takes you to Jamaica Station and the AirTrain. I lived in Kew Gardens for a while, and Austin St. still has that college-town feel, although the apartments are quite pricey (me being from Utah and all).
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

continental180

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:14 am

Like I meannnn.............

many disadvantages about JFK..

1) Location
2) Pricey- i live in new jersey, a rich area, (not trying to brag) and it is EXTREMELY pricey in the Metro area of NY & NJ....my bet would be to live in like an area of Bergen County/Hooboken NJ and take the Amtrak train into Penn station and transfer over to JFK......max time that would be spent would be about maybe an hour not bad considering driving! nightmare( EWR is my main airport took a flight from SJU to JFK and even though only maybe 15 miles apart, driving, it is over 1.5 hours...
3)Crowdness
4) NEVER DRIVE!!!!! TAKE AMTRAK TRAIN OR WHATEVER
4) Best Option. GO TO EWR. much better environment and on a smaller scale which is sometimes better..

Hope this helps, and if you need anymore information on this, feel free to ask, EWR & JFK are my home airports and have great knowleage...on the location and suroundings.

Best Regards,

Tyler
FlyBlue Airways
vablue.org

folov

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:39 am

Continental 180

Well i will be working at JFK. Your suggestion to live around EWR, it is easy to get from one to the other....
I was searching rentals, it s cool, you can pay with your AMEX that s a lot of points lol...

I am looking to spend up to 1800-1900 a month

JBLUA320

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:04 am

There is always Queens/Astoria and the Kew Gardens area for proximity... but there isn't a whole lot doing there. If you don't mind the hustle and the bustle, I'd also consider Hoboken, NJ. You should be able to find something there in your price range. It's an up and coming area, very young and hip right now-- definitely a hot spot for the metro area. As for your commute to JFK... PATH train from Hoboken to 33rd Street, LIRR from Penn Station (34th) to Jamaica and transfer to the AirTrain. Not the most fun commute... but it woldn't take long.

Whatever you do, do NOT rely on Amtrak as has been previously stated. Amtrak's prices are outrageous, and NJ Transit serves most of them in the area (i.e., NY-Penn to Newark Airport. I don't know the prices now, but when the service was launched, NJT was $12.00 and Amtrak was $30.00).

Welcome to the tristate!

JBLU

folov

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:43 am

Lot of places to live there, Hoboken does look pretty good , I guess my idea of rentals prices is a lot different than here in LA.
I guess i will need to go there and visit before i take the position.

aa61hvy

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting FOLOV (Reply 5):
Lot of places to live there, Hoboken does look pretty good , I guess my idea of rentals prices is a lot different than here in LA.
I guess i will need to go there and visit before i take the position.

Hoboken to Kennedy is a trek-but if you don't mind it go for it
Go big or go home

MeanGreen

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:40 am

Springfield Gardens is where I stayed in at crashpad at oh so many years ago. It was cheap ($150 a month in 2003 as a 19 y/o F/A) and I just hopped on the Q3 and was at work. If you are moving there that is the cheapest area near JFK (Jamaica/ Springfield Gardens). I hated it when I was there but I enjoy going back to visit!

jfk69

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:10 pm

You have a PM. Please check at your leisure.