Transpac787
Topic Author

Info On United's IAD-KWI-IAD Flights?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 am

Hey all,

I've been thinking of taking a trip somewhere over Thanksgiving break, and for whatever reason I thought taking UA's KWI flight might be pretty cool. I just had a couple questions about it.

First off.....I know the flight is operated with a 772ER, but does it ever take weight-restrictions on the westbound?? I'd be going nonrev, which means I'd be the first to be bumped off if there were a weight limit.

Also, what should I expect in Kuwait?? Do I need a visa, what hotels are good to stay at, etc etc.

Thanks for all responses!!

Pellegrine

RE: Info On United's IAD-KWI-IAD Flights?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:23 am

You need a visa but if you're a US citizen you can obtain one on arrival for a few $. Don't have an Israeli stamp in your passport. Don't really know much else. I've thought about the same think actually, "Hmm Kuwait would be an interesting country to visit." I don't really have an idea how expensive the place is either, but interestingly the Kuwaiti Dinar is the highest valued currency in the world. I always thought it's interesting how this little bitty country has 10% of the world's oil reserves.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Flyer732

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:59 am

Plenty of excellent hotels, I prefer the Hilton beach resort, its a little outside of the city, but its away from the traffic etc.
Its very very expensive in KWI, compared to the $.

FutureFO

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Also it has been advised on the returns that there is a possibility of getting bumped to weight and cargo. So have a backup plan in place.
I Don't know where I am anymore

iairallie

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:18 pm

I second the Hilton beach resort. Beautiful. best customer service I have experienced anywhere! Say hi to al Jendy (sp) at the front desk for me. The only drawback to this gorgeous resort is that it is pretty far from the main souks and down town. On certain days the hotel does provide a shuttle. Kuwait is very expensive and while it is interesting there isn't a super lot to do. Visit the souk. See the Kuwaiti towers which are pretty run down inside and thats about it. Hotels will run you at about $200 + per night. Food is also very pricey though they may give you a crew discount and the nicer hotels all have fantastic breakfasts included. Mmm Hilton waffles with strawberries and chocolate sauce. YUM!
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Jeremy

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:06 am

I flew nonrev to KWI last summer just for the heck of it. I flew KU though so I could get on an airline I had never flown before.
As the others have said, it is very expensive! There is not much to see besides the Towers.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.