ram025

Where Is A Low Cost Airline Needed?

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:31 am

What countries do you guys think need a low cost airline to serve them?

sw733

RE: Where Is A Low Cost Airline Needed?

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 am

I don't know if there are any countries without one that NEED one...think of the major countries of the world - US, Canada, UK/Ireland, Brazil, Mexico, most of Continental Western Europe, Japan, Australia, South Africa, India...they ALL have them, and multiple ones at that for the most part (I think one a day pops up in India!). Now we even have long-haul LCC's developing in JetStar, Oasis, and Zoom. There are lots of countries that may WANT LCC's...but need, that's another thing. However, I am probably missing a blatant one, so I allow corrections.

ram025

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:43 am

I guess I should restate, not need but want is what iam looking for. An example might be an western african country like nigeria. Nigeria has a large population, must have not flown. If lower fares were brought to this country more would be able to. However no many airlines see this like Arik and Virgin Nigeria.

mariner

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Ram025 (Reply 2):
Nigeria has a large population, must have not flown. If lower fares were brought to this country more would be able to.

Nigeria may not be the best example, because it has several (small) airlines, some tied up with the oil industry. Here's Bellview Airlines, for example:

http://www.flybellviewair.com/home/default.asp

I think most countries with decent size population have some form of low fare airline - I'm sure there are some that don't but I can't think of them. And low fares are all comparative anyway.

New Zealand did not have an "official" LCC until very recently, when Pacific Blue announced domestic service here. Before that it was all Air New Zealand and Qantas NZ. Air New Zealand, especially, is fighting back, but there's a question mark as to how much lower Pacific Blue's fares will be in the long run, though.

mariner
aeternum nauta

ETStar

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:54 am

Is Westjet in Canada still considered a low cost carrier? The only thing that lacks on WS as compared to Air Canada is the upper class. Fares are similar, AC charges extra for everything other than the seat and two pieces of luggage.

Perhaps Canada needs an LCC, as the LCC-standard is now what's non-LCC/mainstream airline in Canada.

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 4):
is the upper class. Fares are similar

I think youre are mistaking LCC with Low Cost fare airline. LCC refers to its lower costs within the business model, which has nothing to do with fares, AFAIK.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

windowplease

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:29 am

Israel - the locals love to travel but El Al has virtual monopoly. Security costs and Sabbath restrictions may get in the way.

isitsafenow

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:06 pm

ahhh...this is an easy one.
Between DTW and MSP or MEM
and between MSP and MEM. Thats where the blue light specials can be implemented.
safe  hypnotized 
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

a380us

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:34 pm

israel could use one
www.JandACosmetics.com