YYZA330
Topic Author

Airline "Do Not List"

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:06 pm

Airline DO NOT list:

I thought it might be interesting if we put together an airline "do not list”. The things you just don't do on an airplane. I don’t think this has ever been done on here before, so here we go…….

DO NOT Use a blanket or pillow unless you know for sure it has been cleaned and/or is wrapped. Even when wrapped, you would be surprised. Airlines such as Air Canada who charge for a blanket/pillow set for use on all Trans-con flights are your best bet.

DO NOT Drink coffee or tea poured out from airline coffee and tea pots. Thos things don’t always get taken off to be washed, and can get pretty disgusting after a while. I was on an Air France flight a few years ago in Business Class, and they had these awesome cups pre packages with instant coffee or a tea bag. The Flight Attendant would pull the cover tab, and pour hot water into the cup. Better option compared to more conventional methods I think. Or, buy your own coffee or tea purchased from the “secure” gate area.
-Same goes for water consumption. Drinking lots of water is very important, especially on long flights. Again, you would be surprised how many airlines use the disgusting belly loaded potable water for passenger drinking water. Unless you see it being poured from a bottle, and know the seal has been broken by the crew, buy your own, again, in the “secure” gate area.

DO NOT USE THE LAVATORY BAREFOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so disgusting, maybe the most disgusting thing you can do in an airplane. Don’t even stretch your legs onboard unless you have shoes or slippers on. When I first started my career, I warned people about this. I guess one too many people have looked at me with a puzzled look and asked why, so I don’t bother anymore. People, that’s not always water on the floor, and even if it is, it’s still gross. Would you go to the public bathroom in a shopping mall and take your shoes and socks off before using it? NO!

I have plenty more, but I think those are my personal top 3 when I’m a passenger. What’s on your “do not list”?

YYZA330

[Edited 2007-11-26 09:07:20]

aajfksjubklyn

RE: Airline "Do Not List"

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Do Not use the 'seat back pocket' in front of you as a garbage pail! This is gross people...would you use the cracks on your couch for garbage?

b777a340fan

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting YYZA330 (Thread starter):
The Flight Attendant would pull the cover tab, and pour hot water into the cup.

Do they take-off and wash the hot water pot?

Do NOT snore!
Do NOT let your kids kick the seat in front of them.
Do NOT talk about your entire life to strangers.
Do NOT fall asleep on the person next to you and drool.
Do NOT take your entire life with you in your carry-on.
Do NOT take your sweet time loading your carry-on luggage in the overhead bin compartment.
Do NOT argue with a passenger that claims you're in their seat. Take a look at your ticket first.

Gr8Circle

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 2):
Take a look at your ticket first.

I would take a look at my boarding pass ...  Big grin

My list...

DO NOT recline your seat without giving a thought to the poor guy behind you...
DO NOT lower your window shade during T/O's and landings....

ayubogg

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:44 pm

DO NOT USE THE LAVATORY BAREFOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People really do this? Too gross.

Do not stick chewing gum under the armrests. It's a nasty surprise for the next passenger to use that seat.

-Ayubogg
Alba gu bràth

IAHFLYR

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:47 pm

What a great thread  Smile

Do Not mention anything remotely related to firearms, bombs, hostages, or tell the flight attendants while in the air that you wish to see the Captain.

Do Not make an ASS of yourself.

Do Not ever let anyone know if your career is in the aviation industry, just listen to all the authorities on nothing "know it all passengers around you" who offer their free advice on what is happening at this point in flight or a delay at the runway etc.!

DO NOT USE THE LAVATORY BAREFOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so disgusting, maybe the most disgusting thing you can do in an airplane

At least put some nice socks on that will soak up all the junk so your feet are able to get a nice soaking experience.  ill 
Would you walk into the restroom at an NFL game in your bare feet or only with socks on your feet? If so then you're in need of therapy, but come on people, if not in need of the therapy then why do it on a plane?
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

b777a340fan

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 3):
I would take a look at my boarding pass ...

Ticket/boarding pass, same difference! lol.

futurecaptain

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:52 pm

On top of all that...

DO NOT stop in the middle of the jetway to get something out of your bag or fold down your stroller thereby holding up the entire line of pax behind you, move to one side.

DO NOT sit down and proceed to talk loudly into your cell phone about how you just made a million dollar sale. First, I don't care. Second, your still a douche. And third, just shut up.  Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

b777a340fan

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:54 pm

I actually don't care about the person behind me. I feel like it's my right to recline. I guess I'm rude.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:57 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 8):
I guess I'm rude.

You get points for honesty.
You can't cure stupid

4everRC

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm

DO NOT stop in the aisle to put your 700 pound carry on into the overhead bin. It can be done (I've done it and seen it done) just as easily from in front of the aisle seat of your row.
Nobody served our republic like Republic!

mia

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm

DO NOT fart/pass gas (especially if you know what you have inside of you the biological equivalent of a tomahawk missile).
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

JBo

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 6):

Ticket/boarding pass, same difference! lol.

Nope. Big grin

Your ticket is burden of proof that you purchased a spot on that airplane ... but most them these days are electronic, so you never see them.

Your boarding pass is the document that actually gets you on the plane.  Smile
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

VonRichtofen

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm

If you have small children DO NOT travel with a giant yuppy stroller with freakin bike tires for wheels and then act shocked that it doesn't fit onboard. Not only that, but those things injure rampers because they're so bloody awkward.

Dazed767

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:08 pm

I actually don't care about the person behind me. I feel like it's my right to recline. I guess I'm rude.

Ditto. It's not that I'm being rude we all have the same amount of cramped space in the back, I just want to get comfortable. If you choose not to recline that's your deal.

falstaff

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting Ayubogg (Reply 4):

People really do this? Too gross.

I've used it in my socks, but not barefoot.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 13):
If you have small children DO NOT travel with a giant yuppy stroller with freakin bike tires for wheels and then act shocked that it doesn't fit onboard. Not only that, but those things injure rampers because they're so bloody awkward.

I hate those things. Nothing like seeing those brought on a CRJ. Why do people need such big strollers these days?

I feel like it's my right to recline. I guess I'm rude.

Your right. It is your right to recline, if you were not supposed to the seat wouldn't recline.

Do NOT talk about your entire life to strangers.

I like talking to strangers.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

LAXdude1023

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 pm

How about DO NOT cut holes in the bottoms of Barf bags. My dad got in trouble for that when he was in college years ago.

And how about dont get drunk on the plane and make puppets out the barf bags and wake half the plane up on a red eye. My Cousin got in trouble for that.
It is what it is...

SBBRTech

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:22 pm

Do not board before checking whether your deodorant has lost the battle against your B.O.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

PHKLM

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Do NOT keep pressing that button when your reading light does not switch on. The cabin crew will be thankful for not having to turn up and hearing "but I didn't call you"  Wink

sh0rtybr0wn

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Do not be a freak and pull up your window shade every 3 minutes during a transpac flight when the cabin is dark just so you can catch a glimpse of a whale, or an island , or a pretty cloud or whatever.

Do not bellow. Only talk as loud as you need to be understood. Most people grasp this concept but there are always several buffoons shouting inane garbage to the person next to them so loud it can be heard 30 rows away.

Do not fly if you are too fat. But if you do, get an aisle seat so you can lean away from your seatmate and not crush him/her.

mcamargo

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:47 pm

I recline on Y flights longer than 3 hours, but I never recline the full length, always the absolute minimum...
I ALWAYS ask the person behind me if I reclined too much or if it's made them uncomfortable... at least do that. I appreciate when people ask me if it's okay if they recline.
I live for the day mainline returns to BRO...

masseybrown

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Do not wear flip-flops. So many times I have seen the beverage cart rearrange the toes of somebody dozing. (I suspect the FA' s shed no tears on these occasions. )

NASBWI

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:02 pm

LOL! This post is too much. Aside from the above mentioned, I have a couple of "DO's":

- Please DO exercise manners when onboard an aircraft. I mean this as a seatmate-to-seatmate scenario. Seriously folks, too many arguments start over circumstances that could've been solved with a simple "Ah yes, my apologies." If you're going to be 'trapped in a metal tube' for x-amount of time with these people, the last thing you want is high tensions, yes?

- Please DO (at least TRY) to use the facilities in the terminal before boarding. It never ceases to amaze me how many people line up to use the restrooms onboard the plane during the boarding process, possibly even delaying a flight. And this is when the bathrooms in the terminal were *not* crowded! Even when a flight has been delayed, and there has been ample time to use the bathrooms, folks still tend to wait until they get onboard, then 'swim' through a crowd of people behind them to get back to the lav. If you don't want the flight to leave any later, make sure you make that deposit beforehand. You'll be on your way to many happy returns!  wink 

- Finally, as much as I'd like to believe you've "heard it all before", please DO lend the FA's just a few moments of your time when they conduct their safety demo. I want to laugh at and throttle people at the same time when it's said over the PA: "ladies and gentlemen, we have closed the main cabin door. Please turn off ALL cell phones and electronic devices at this time". And some smartie-pants who previously said "yeah yeah i hear this all the time" is the first person told to turn off their cell phone later on after the safety demo. Hmmmm... had you actually heard it all before - and paid attention - certainly, there would be no need for us to say "excuse me ma'am/sir, but we made an announcement five minutes ago asking everyone to turn off their cell phones. would you mind turning yours off now please?" because you would've already known (and respected) that request, yes?

Cheers!
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

cytz_pilot

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:17 pm

DON'T crowd the gate area when boarding starts, if you haven't been called yet. I HATE having to push and shove just to get on the plane. If it's not your turn to board stay the hell back!!!

DON'T stand up to pee in the lavatories. Too much room for accidents. And if you have one, you damn well better be cleaning it up!

DON'T stand up the moment the plane's engines shut off. You know you're not going to be able to get off for several minutes, why does every passenger have to jump up at the same time???

Feel free to recline, but DON'T shove the seat back backwards at high speed! I was on a flight where someone did that the moment the plane took off and I was in pain for the next hour!

DON'T choose a window seat if you're going to have the shade down the entire flight!!!

I think my wife would add:

DON'T explain every facet of airport/airline operations, ATC and the theory of flight every time I have a question about a flight being on time!

[Edited 2007-11-26 12:19:43]

Boston92

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Cytz_pilot (Reply 23):
DON'T choose a window seat if you're going to have the shade down the entire flight!!!

Or if you have overactive bladder.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

mauiman31

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Don't set up a "vanity" with mirror on your tray table, and completely re-do your hair and make up before landing. Use the lav.

Don't change your clothing at your seat. Use the lav. (beyond taking off a sweater or jacket, etc.)

RJwrench85

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:35 pm

DO NOT rush to deboard as if there were a fire burning inside the aircraft. Its like church. Row 1 Row 2 Row 3 etc etc Smooth and steady. Those who push, scratch and claw their way forward are usually the said people below

DON'T stand up the moment the plane's engines shut off. You know you're not going to be able to get off for several minutes, why does every passenger have to jump up at the same time???

But then again watching people stand up quickly on their first RJ flight and end up smashing their head full force into the PSU is quite amusing for some Big grin
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

ctbarnes

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Here are a few more 'do's'

Please DO treat each other with dignity and respect. This goes for customers and crew members. Thinking paying a fare entitles you to treat crew members as dirt, or crew members moaning about what idiots the self loading cargo are is counterproductive and insulting. Positive attitudes about people are every bit as infectious as the negative ones are toxic.

Please DO pack your sense of humor. Stuff happens. Facing it with a smile can help ease the tension.

Please DO be flexible. Work with employees to get a problem resolved. They really do want to help.

Please DO arrive early. If you get through security quickly, reward yourself with a treat before you board.

DO find ways to put some fun back into travel. Things aren't what they once were, but that dosen't mean the experience has to be miserable.

Lastly,

Please DO think of others. Instead of bitching about the guy with the heavy carry on, offer to help him stow it. When it comes to air travel, we're all in this together.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Gr8Circle

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Mcamargo (Reply 20):
I recline on Y flights longer than 3 hours, but I never recline the full length, always the absolute minimum...
I ALWAYS ask the person behind me if I reclined too much or if it's made them uncomfortable... at least do that. I appreciate when people ask me if it's okay if they recline.

You, Sir, are a rare breed....  praise  not like all the meanies up there who want to recline their seats and to hell with the guy behind....  cry 

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 19):
Do not be a freak and pull up your window shade every 3 minutes during a transpac flight when the cabin is dark just so you can catch a glimpse of a whale, or an island , or a pretty cloud or whatever.

Hey, I like doing that! What use is a window if you don't look out of it.... Big grin

tavong

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:07 pm

DO NOT Applaud when the plane lands.
DO NOT take the seat you haven´t been assigned.
DO NOT try to know more than the F/A or the Pilots.
DO NOT yell at the F/A if the coffee or food isn´t your liking.

Gus
SKBO
Just put me on any modern airliner and i will be happy, give me more star alliance miles and i will be a lot more happy.

Bartonsayswhat

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:35 pm

DO NOT put your garbage in the seat pocket. Put it on the floor before you put in in the pocket. The groomers would much rather pick it up off the floor than have to dig for it.

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 5):

Thank you! Sadly, I see someone do it on every flight. As the old saying goes, "there's always one".

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 15):
I hate those things. Nothing like seeing those brought on a CRJ. Why do people need such big strollers these days?

To put their BIG freakin children in that looks like he should be driving a cab.

DO NOT use the back of the seat (and my head!) as a prop so you can get out your seat. This is probably one of the very few things that I will make a comment to a passenger about.

DO NOT get up when we are taxiing to the gate to take your bag out the bin (or whatever you're doing). It really annoys the F/A's AND ME because you are delaying us.

DO NOT SNEEZE without covering your nasty mouth. Nothing worse than sitting next to some guy that just ate the tureky sandwitch and sneezes without covering and gets food eveywhere.

DO NOT choose a window seat if you know you use the head a lot.

AND PLEASE DO NOT think you are slick and choose to mive to that empy fiirst class seat in the last row in the middle of the flight. you will get cought and only serve to embarase yourself.
What gets measured gets done.

multimark

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Eewwwww. A CNN article recently rated airplane lavs as one of the germiest places you'll encounter. The toilet system is virtually designed to blast fecal matter into the air when flushed, and the volume of water from the taps is inadequate for a proper cleaning. DO bring sanitary handwipes and use them afterwards

n710ps

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:28 pm

I would be hated by many than because my window shade stays open ALL the time. And Yes I recline all the way every time because am a very tall person.

If you are sitting next to a crew member off duty DO NOT bother them just as you would not bother anyone else. It is annoying as heck.

DO NOT complain to me about the problems with the airline and what this person and that person did to you. Unless it is flight op's or inflight related I probably will not be able to help and even if I can I will not.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

exFATboy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Do NOT snore!

Quoting MIA (Reply 11):
DO NOT fart/pass gas

Well, these aren't entirely voluntary functions, sometimes it can't be helped  Silly

Do not fly if you are too fat. But if you do, get an aisle seat so you can lean away from your seatmate and not crush him/her.

HEAR HEAR! I had two consecutive flights (AVC-RDD-PDX, PDX-FAT) over Thanksgiving with, how shall we say, a "person of size" in the window seat spilling into my aisle seat.

Or, better yet, if you don't fit in one seat, buy two!

seattleflyer

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 pm

DON'T talk throughout the entire duration of the flight
DON'T use the seat in front of you to pull yourself out of your own seat - ESPECIALLY if the person in front of you is sleeping!

skygirl

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:01 am

funny story regarding this. I was working a 57, in the aft galley with 2 other f/a's when this guy came back barefoot. All 3 of us screamed in horror in unison about his barefoot state. He ran back to his seat rather quickly and returned with shoes on! afterwards we explained our outburst and he said he was never going anywhere in a plane barefoot ever again.

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 22):
please DO lend the FA's just a few moments of your time when they conduct their safety demo.

If I'm up there doing a live demo, and you're watching and I have cookies...I will give you a cookie.

As far as my personal list of DOs and DON'Ts from the f/a perspective...

I know it's a long flight but please DON'T do yoga in the galley. I'm all for people getting up out of their seats and stretching, because sitting for that long really isn't healthy for you. However, the galley tends to be a cramped place, with high traffic due to its convenient location next to the lavs, and I really don't want your butt in my face.

pretty pretty pretty please DON'T make out with your significant other while in your seat. or in the galley. I don't necessarily advocate making out in the lavatory, but out of respect for everyone around you, please don't do it in public.

please DO pay attention to the safety demo. I know a lot of you travel frequently and might be able to tell me more about the plane than I could tell you, but a - I feel dorky enough wearing that oxygen mask in the aisle as it is without everyone ignoring me, and b - I notice whos paying attention and who's not. And I'm mean. I'll ask you where your flotation device is, and I'll give you all the time in the world to search for that life vest before informing you that there is none. It's your seat bottom cushion.

I have others but they're more personal nitpicks and pet peeves than anything else so I'll leave it at this.
...Now they face an even greater danger...Tyrannousaurs in F-14's!!

AeroMexico777

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting Tavong (Reply 29):

May I ask why? At least in Mexico Ive seen that this is a tradition and I kinda like it...

my perosnal DONT

DO NOT ignore your kids. They tend to make miserable the living of the people next to them when they are left alone wile needing attention.

Regards, AeroMexico777
"When the hope of dying becomes the only reason to live..." Die Laughing (Gothic), Safe little world.

abrelosojos

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:20 pm

= Oh, but I love this tradition!

DO NOT try to know more than the F/A or the Pilots.

= But. sometimes one does  Smile.

Adding to the list ...

DO NOT "adjust" your sleeping position by kicking the back of the seat in front of you ... every so often.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

msnell

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:03 pm

Quoting MIA (Reply 11):
DO NOT fart/pass gas (especially if you know what you have inside of you the biological equivalent of a tomahawk missile).

Don't do this if there are only two of you in the vicinity, it gives it away slightly! If there is a full load and you can't help it, wait for someone near you to notice and then shake your head, look disgusted and say (loud enough that your neighbours can hear) "that is so inconsiderate"! It's like the airbourne equivalent of blaming it on the dog!

What's this all about, I've noticed this a couple of times (Lufthansa and Continental - both Atlantic crossings). Are they applauding the pilot? It's like they're slightly surprised that the flight deck crew managed to get us down at the right airport!

BE77

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting Dazed767 (Reply 14):

Ditto. It's not that I'm being rude we all have the same amount of cramped space in the back, I just want to get comfortable. If you choose not to recline that's your deal.

I'm normally of the 'check things first' school of thought - basically, I will check on a short haul (for me <5 hours) if the person behind me is using their table., etc., before leaning back. Then, if I am just reading or using an IFE, I'll usually only lean it back enough to be reasonably comfortable.
On long hauls (Trans Pac or Atlantic) it changes - if meals aren't being served at the moment, I'll check first...but only for idle curiosity on my part, cause I'm here to tell ya, the seat WILL be going back! Usually I will politey warn them first though if the person seems to be using the table or hasn't leaned back yet themselves.

What does bug me is the person who puts the seat back during meals, before TO, etc. I mean, it's tough enough to cut the cardboard chicken without having your arms doing the chicken polka thing.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

BE77

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:28 am

Do not, ever, for any reason, get impatient with things. It only makes it worse for you, and it won't make it any better, ever. It won't even make you feel good.

Do not get excited about weather delays. SAR folks will always point out that wrecks are usually found on blue sky days.

Do not get excited about Mtce delays. Do you really want to go fly in a broken airplane? If it is a recurring thing, maybe you should book with a different carrier? (Remember, you usually get what you pay for!).

Do not get excited about bad service / bad food / late flights. Deal with it later - with a formal complaint or something if you don't get some sort of reasonable reply then, you can always vote with your feet next time.

Do not book a flight you wouldn't have chosen just because of the ff program. Price, frequency, quality (see above), are all reasonable reasons. (And, because we are on airliners.net - AC type obviously is a good reason too Smile ).

Do not get in my way in the 10m wide by 3km long hallway when we are heading to customs in YYZ  Smile I walk fast, and don't really want to play pylons!

Do not fly through LHR if you have any other choice! (CDG may or may not count, depending on the situation!).
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

BHD

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:52 pm

DO NOT turn up at check in at ETD thinking the check in closes 30mins prior to departure rule doesnt apply to you and that they will hold the plane just for you - it always makes me angry when i see people do this on 'Airline' etc., grr!!

W

iairallie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:27 pm

That is just as nasty. Yes, lets wear something absorbent so I can savor urine puddle later.

I like talking to strangers.

The question is do they enjoy listening?

Quoting Mcamargo (Reply 20):
I ALWAYS ask the person behind me if I reclined too much or if it's made them uncomfortable

Why? I glance behind to make sure I won't injure them or break a laptop but I'm not asking permission and if someone did I'd find it odd and annoying. What would you do if they said yes it's reclined too much or yes it's made me uncomfortable. Would you fly with it upright the entire way across the pond?

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 22):
It never ceases to amaze me how many people line up to use the restrooms onboard the plane during the boarding process,

I've done this always due to a short connection but I'm always back in my seat before the seatbelt sign goes on.

I enjoy the pretty scenery but I prefer windows so that I can lean up against the fuselage and sleep with out interuption from seatmates who need to use the lav or passing carts. When I'm sleeping the window is usually shut. If you want a window to look out of check in early enough to get one.

Quoting Mauiman31 (Reply 25):
Don't set up a "vanity" with mirror on your tray table, and completely re-do your hair and make up before landing. Use the lav.

Uh yeah. Window seat, long lines, nasty smells and seatbelt signs. If everyone got up to do this the line would have to start prior to take off. Also I don't know if you've ever really had to go and you have to wait 15 minutes while someone is primping in the lav but it is really annoying. Get in do your business get out. PS. I don't do a full on makeover session but I will comb thorugh my hair, check my face and reapply lipstick in my seat.

Quoting RJwrench85 (Reply 26):
DO NOT rush to deboard as if there were a fire burning inside the aircraft. Its like church. Row 1 Row 2 Row 3 etc etc

No, it's not and it drives me nuts when I have a short connection and some well intended soul stops the entire flow of traffic to let the family out and we all have to wait while they gather their assortment of carryon and the car seat. It also bugs me when someone stops to let me out when I'm not ready I'd rather wait until the flow of traffic permits me to get out with out holding anyone up. Thanks but no thanks.

Quoting Bartonsayswhat (Reply 30):
Put it on the floor before you put in in the pocket

Better yet just hand it to the crew when they come by to pick up, take it out with you, or if it is paper (non nasty mess item) leave it on the aisle seat. Throwing it on the floor is just as difficult to clean. When cleaners clean often they will pull trash and put it on the aisle seat then come thorugh with a big bag.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

jetmech

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:23 pm

DO spare a thought for the poor engineer that has to unblock toilets after people attempt to flush unflushable items  Angry !

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

Bicoastal

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:15 am

Do not remove your shoes during take off and landing. Yes, there are emergencies. Do you really want to evacuate the aircraft in your stocking fee?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

N231YE

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:56 am

...and please, if you're in coach, and it often takes several minutes to deplane after a long haul flight, rather than just stand up in the middle of the aisle and do nothing, at least clean up after yourself. I hate pigs who leave trash everywhere, blankets and pillows on the floor, magazines sticking out, etc. So many people seem to do this, or maybe I am just a rare breed that is polite and actually thinks about the people who must clean this stuff up.

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 24):
Quoting Cytz_pilot (Reply 23):DON'T choose a window seat if you're going to have the shade down the entire flight!!!
Or if you have overactive bladder.

YES! Besides my aviation geekism, one of the other reasons why I try to take a window seat any time I can, such as selecting online, if applicable.

DO NOT put your garbage in the seat pocket. Put it on the floor before you put in in the pocket. The groomers would much rather pick it up off the floor than have to dig for it.

Actually, one should throw his/her trash out when the F/As come around for trash. In addition, I take any trash that was not picked up on the flight and take it with me...then pitch it in the terminal.

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting BE77 (Reply 41):
Do not book a flight you wouldn't have chosen just because of the ff program.

= Ok. Please tell me why this is cardinal sin. I'd have to go to confession several time over because I have chosen so many flights out of FF loyalties.

-A.
Live, and let live.

Viscount724

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting Multimark (Reply 32):

Eewwwww. A CNN article recently rated airplane lavs as one of the germiest places you'll encounter. The toilet system is virtually designed to blast fecal matter into the air when flushed, and the volume of water from the taps is inadequate for a proper cleaning. DO bring sanitary handwipes and use them afterwards

I also avoid touching the flush handle/knob or lavatory door handle with my bare hands (in any public facilities, not just on aircraft). I use a paper towel (or cuff of my shirt or anything else available). If you wash your hands and then touch the door handle you might as well not have bothered washing your hands. I've read that public toilet door handles are one of the most germ-laden items you can possibly imagine, largely thanks to the significant percentage of people who don't wash their hands after using the facilities.

pilotboi

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 1):
Do Not use the 'seat back pocket' in front of you as a garbage pail!

Or better yet, just give it to the F/A when they come around to pick up trash.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 13):
If you have small children DO NOT travel with a giant yuppy stroller with freakin bike tires for wheels and then act shocked that it doesn't fit onboard. Not only that, but those things injure rampers because they're so bloody awkward

Thanks for your consideration. I just had one of those hunkers the other day.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 16):
How about DO NOT cut holes in the bottoms of Barf bags.

And DO NOT use the sick bags as a place to put your gum when you're done with it. You just wasted a sick bag!

I really don't think this is necessary. If I want to put my shade up, I'll put it up. Chances are that I'll just be leaving it up the whole flight. If it's causing the sun to shine in your eyes - tell me and I'll fix it.

Quoting RJwrench85 (Reply 26):
Its like church. Row 1 Row 2 Row 3 etc etc

When I went to church when I was younger - we didn't do that. Might as well feel like animals.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 31):
Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 5):

Thank you! Sadly, I see someone do it on every flight. As the old saying goes, "there's always one".

And if you can't identify the one, then it's you!

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 38):
DO NOT "adjust" your sleeping position by kicking the back of the seat in front of you ... every so often.

So many people don't realize that seats are solid and that if they push on or hit the back of the seat in front of them, the person actually feels it.