sovietjet

Becoming A Flight Attendant, Pros And Cons?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:40 am

So my friend is thinking of becoming a flight attendant(preferably United). However she is a bit unsure if this is a good idea. She is 21, goes to college but doesnt have much interest in her major and is unsure of what to study. She LOVES traveling and she likes to move around at the workplace(part of the reason she hates her current desk job). So she thinks it will be a good idea to become an FA. So can anyone shed some light on the possible pros and cons of this situation? I know there are some FAs here in the forums that can help out.

flyboy80

RE: Becoming A Flight Attendant, Pros And Cons?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:44 am

Haha...tell her to have fun. I heard those UA F/As still get 1.50/hr per diem rate, and sit reserve until they reach like the top 40 percent of base (9-20 years) But if shes young with no obligations, I would say go for it.

flyboy80

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:47 am

tell her to google the web site for UA AFA...she can take a look at their "wonderful" contract.

CO767FA

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:51 am

Tell her to finish college and there will be plenty of time to fly as a FA.

UncleBuck

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:51 am

I think it's a great career but UA is the wrong airline to go with as reserve time is INSANE there. Of course, it would be nice flying the 744  Smile

I still have 6 electives of my bachelor's degree but I had no hesitation putting it off, and no regrets. I was 21 when I was hired... offered this career- not just a job, but a career- it wouldn't make sense putting a career off to finish a degree- when the sole purpose of a degree is to make you marketable for a career (unless of course you are majoring in something specific to your career where your degree serves the purpose of education as well  Wink). I took the job with full knowledge that I can finish my degree in 2 easy semesters of online classes (again, all I have is electives...surely I can find 6 online classes) and have no regrets. I love the fact that while I am getting paid nicely to see the world (starting FA pay isn't necessarily at the top of the spectrum, but when you require minimal living arrangements because you are gone so much and have little debt, it is definitely a nice living), my friends from high school and colleges are waiting tables waiting for a job to open up because the workforce is so packed right now or stuck in office jobs that they hate because a BBA was an easy way out for them. Nothing wrong with these jobs whatsover, or BBAs, but I have no regrets about being bold and taking a chance.

Tell her to go for it. Just tell her to look at ALL the airlines- reserve time, destinations, bases, fleet, pay, etc- and make an honest, educated decision.

Also- a great website is www.flightattendantcareer.com . I bought the book before my interview and can honestly say I was more than prepared for every question that was thrown at me because I had already rehearsed my answers ahead of time because all the questions + suggested answer where in that book. It is everything short of a job guarantee.

Hope this helps!!

UB