B747forever
Topic Author

Do You Care About Reg-numbers?

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi.

The headline tells it all, do you care about reg-numbers, when you fly???

Do you want to know the reg-number and is it important for you when you travel??

For me, the reg-number of the a/c is really important for me.
Work Hard, Fly Right

egmcman

RE: Do You Care About Reg-numbers?

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting B747forever (Thread starter):
Do you want to know the reg-number and is it important for you when you travel??

Yes, I wish I had the registrations of some of the first aircraft I flew on. I keep a record of them on a database. Also I like to find out information on the aircraft I have flown on.

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 1):
I wish I had the registrations of some of the first aircraft I flew on.

Same here. I have flown many many times with LH to LAX form ARN, and I would love to get all that reg-numbers.

Also I like to find out information on the aircraft I have flown on.

Same here. Check the a/c in airfleets.net
Work Hard, Fly Right

PlymSpotter

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:28 pm

Yes it is to me as well. I don't collect registrations of normal aircraft, just the ones I fly on - so when I forget to write it down, or it it is not possible to see the reg then it's a bit of a bummer. It helps immensely with trip reports, and that I tend to only buy ready made models of the aircraft (exact registrations) which I have actually flown on.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ALexeu

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:48 pm

I don't care very much today, but i used to care.

Question : How do you spot reg number if you enter the a/c via airbridge?

Regards

egmcman

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 4):

The nose gear door has fleet number of part of the registration on. CO have the fleet numbers by the doors.

N776AU

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:09 pm

I try to get looking out the window at the gate before I board, but if I can't get it, I just ask one of the pilots when getting off.
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

LXM83

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes, I always get the registration of all my flights. Fortunately, my first flight was at age 11 and I was already interested in aviation by then - so I got the registrations of each and every of my 1023 flights so far! It's great to look up the history of each of the airplanes I flew. Sometimes I find out that I already was on one particular aircraft when it operated for a differenct company under a different identity....

How do you spot reg number if you enter the a/c via airbridge?

Look out the windows before you board. Sometimes it's not easy to see, depending on the angle and especially when it's dark outside. I always carry small binoculars for such instances. In the worst case, I will ask the crew (and try to reconfirm it with my own eyes when I disembark...)

[Edited 2007-12-03 13:18:21]

N231YE

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:50 am

Yes, its nice to see where a particular aircraft I have flown on has gone/its status/life.

As for getting the number, I look out the window when boarding to see it. You could also look at nose gear doors, ask the pilot, or find the Airworthiness Certificate (USA) or equivalent.

Even if that doesn't work, if in the USA, you could go to the Bureau of Transportation Statitics, and if your airline report, you can backtrack (ie, your flight number, times, departure/destination, etc).

OHLHD

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:32 am

I put them down. But most of the classics I have actually in mind.

If I really can´t get the registration is usually ask the crew. My request has never been denied so far.

CanadianNorth

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:09 am

I usually try to get the reg of the aircraft I fly on. I don't put a whole lot of effort in so in the average trip I always seem to miss/forget/etc some, so overall I only get like half of the aircraft I fly on, but after it is kinda interesting to go look at the history of the aircraft.
So I do care, I just get lazy and/or forget and end up doing a pretty half-ass job when it actually comes time to get off my rear end and go find it and write it down somewhere.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

LASoctoberB6

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:10 am

They're very important to me because later in life, when I see that particular bird, I can freak my Mom out by saying, "That's the plane we were on when we flew to EWR (x) number of years ago..."  Big grin
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

TrijetsRMissed

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:37 am

I think most true airliner enthusiasts care about the registration number. For me, it's interesting knowing how old the aircraft is, what previous carriers if any it has flown for, if it had been involved in any incidents, etc. When a fleet is small it's less significant to me, but when I fly on an AA MD-80, for example, I always make sure I get it. I've flown on Mad Dogs built as early as 1983 and as late as 1999, there is quite a large age gap in their fleet. Also have been on N454AA, which has had a couple incidents in the last few years.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
when I forget to write it down, or it it is not possible to see the reg then it's a bit of a bummer.

In a worse case scenario where the registration is not visible, just ask the gate agent. They should be able to easily check the database to find out. In the states, you will usually first get a suspicious "why do you ask?", however.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

HorizonGirl

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:44 am

I always make sure I get it, because I love to research the history of the aircraft afterwards.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

CV990

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:06 am

Hi!

That's a MUST for me!!! In all my flights I had the chance to get the registrations...the most difficult one was my first and only flight in an AC airplane...I was late for boarding, I rushed in the plane without almost even seeing it and when I arrived to YYZ was late at night via the airbridge. I was lucky to see the fleet number on the nose wheel, then I put a message on the A.Net regarding that number and some nice canadian enthusiasts gave me the registration right away!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

aerorobnz

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 am

It is a must. I don't board the flight until I identify the rego from the window

the easiest way for the smaller aircraft if you can't see it from the terminal is to check the s/n plate by the door. In the 733 it is on the top of the door, between the door seals, on the 320 it is to the right or left of the door (dep on airline/config)
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

B747forever
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:01 am

If I cant see it from the gate before I board the a/c, I do look around the exit doors on board. Otherwise I ask the crew.
Work Hard, Fly Right

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:21 am

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 12):
I think most true airliner enthusiasts care about the registration number.

I was an "enthusiast" at such an early age, I'm told my first word was "jet", but keeping track of registration numbers has never held any interest for me at all. I still think the sights, sounds, smells and feels of aviation are rivaled by few things in life, but keeping track of what I've seen when or where, or what I've flown on, I simply couldn't care less. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I do toss all of my airline tickets and boarding passes in a box to keep though.
International Homo of Mystery

dc9northwest

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:44 am

Sort of... I always try to get it...

I don't really need to in the US because I can't remember them as readily as other ones anyway... But I try to , nonetheless.

ogre727

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:49 am

I don't care much. When I used to live in Chile, I would look at the registration number to see if I remember being on that plane, but didn't care too much.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

B747forever
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:44 pm

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 18):
don't really need to in the US because I can't remember them as readily as other ones anyway... But I try to , nonetheless.

Why dont you write the reg-number on a bit of paper'???
Work Hard, Fly Right

access-air

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:23 pm

I ALWAYS get the tail number and If I know that I wont be able to see it because of airport restricted viewing or the time of day being dark outside then I usually ask the crew....I explain to them that I log all my passenger flights....and they seem to be very understanding and helpful..However, I try and avoid that avenue if I can as most flight attendants these days seem to be so spastic in their mannerisms that they litterally shit themselves if you smile at them the wrong way....

But yes, the tail number is the ESSENTIAL part of the flight....One of these days, the guys and gals that dont bother with the tail numbers will never know if one of the planes they fly on becomes "famous".....
My most famous plane is/was N612UA.....9/11 WTC 2.......See what I mean????

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

OA260

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:23 pm

When I was a kid I used to buy the aircraft reg book and my Dad and I used to go to LHR and mark off what we saw. Since actually working in the airline and travel industry in general I have lost that excitement I used to get from planespotting. I now love just flying in the A/C , experiencing the product of each airline and seeing new places. I only take the Reg down for my TR's as I know certain members like that so its no big deal for me to add them .

PanAm747

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:46 pm

In 1987, I flew LAX-JFK on a TWA 747 and EWR-LAX on a UA DC-10. Two years later was the Sioux City crash, and nine years later was the TWA 800 accident.

I regret not writing down the registration numbers now, as I wonder often if one or both of the planes I flew on came to a catastrophic end. I am not saying I dwell on it, but it is unpleasant knowing that it could have been my flight.

Since then, I record the registry of every plane I fly on - and so far, no losses.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

ERJ135

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:49 am

There was a time when I was a manic rego collector particularly when I used to fly for work and wanted to see if I could fly on every aircraft in an airlines fleet. I achieved that with a couple of aircraft types. Now a days I'm more interested in flying something that I had not flown on before for example on a recent trip to the USA I had Air Tahiti Nui, TED, Frontier, Alaska< Horizon, Skywest and Shuttle America all for the first time and flew on an A319 Q400 and an Embraer 170. I could not however tell you what rego they had because I don't care anymore.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

ba319-131

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting B747forever (Thread starter):
The headline tells it all, do you care about reg-numbers, when you fly???

- Yes, I spot planes so keep the reg details and where spotted and keep a database on flown types to/from reg etc

M
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

NorthstarBoy

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:47 am

ya, i care, two of the most annoying things for me are "unknowns" and "duplicates." Unknowns i can't really do anything about other than record as much information as i can about the trip, but with duplicates i've come up with an exception, when it comes to my fantasy airline, if i fly round trip between the same two cities on the same aircraft, or, if one routing is a logical extension of another, for instance Rno-Sjc-Sna, then i keep both, if not, then i record the newest one as "current" and the previous flight becomes a duplicate.

I think it's fun to keep track of the planes i've flown on. I've always loved to fly, but unfortunately, i got started in the registration collecting game rather late, so there are several (like about 60, mostly 727s) from my younger years i don't have, but i do remember every one of the experiences.

as for how to get the number, in addition to what others have said, one trick that works for Boeing 727s/737s on certain airlines, the airworthiness certificate is in a pouch over the forward boarding door, if you can't eyeball it from the terminal, then, when you come onboard the aircraft, look up and and slightly back and you'll see it. but, as i said, this only works for Boeing 727s/737s.

I will, if necessary ask the gate agent, but i try to verify it with my own eyes, because i'm always afraid that they'll just come up with a random number off the top of their head. I did have one AA gate agent though, who was so fascinated with my hobby after i asked for the number, because i couldn't see it from the terminal, she was calling after me as i walked up to the door "271! remember 271!" I have had some agents though who will either say "why do you need that information?" or "I can't divulge that information." Finally, if you're flying an AA MD-80, here's another trick, in addition to the nose wheel, AA puts the ship number on the side of the airplane behind the boarding door, so if you look through the window or the hinge of the jetway in the right way, you can see it. it's a trick, because you have to know where to look, and it's not that easy to see at night.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

isitsafenow

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:00 am

Reg numbers are logged with yours truly and have been since 1961. There are a couple of NW DC-9's I have flown
10 times. I would not know this unless I know and log the reg numbers.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

jeffry747

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:59 am

Yes, I wish I had the registrations of some of the first aircraft I flew on. I keep a record of them on a database. Also I like to find out information on the aircraft I have flown on.

You said exactly what I wanted to say. All you need is the tail number of that plane and you have the plane's entire history at your fingertips. Unfortunately, on all my Pan Am, PE, and CO flights as a kid I was too young to know anything about "tail numbers" The only one I could recall was a Pan Am 727 with the name "Clipper Universe" on the nose. Never forgot that one. From 1991 until 2002 there was a huge gap where I did not get the chance to fly due to always working and lack of vacation time. I started flying regularly in '02 and got every tail since. including the 2 WN special schemes I got lucky enough to fly on. You can see them all in my album "Birds I've flown on" in my profile. Exact tail numbers for all the WN, US, UAL, Independence, and Comair aircraft.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

wilco737

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:08 am

Only when I am on duty...

If traveling privat then I dont care about the registration... And I dont put it into my flightmemory.com! I only put the airline and A/C type in it...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

zkeoj

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:19 am

Yes, I log them (along with other details - see http://meine.flugstatistik.de/michanzl ). However, only started that in 2001. I kept track of all my flights though - just not the rego on flights between 1983 and 2001...

Cheers
micha

ag92

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:57 am

Well only for the Boeing 777 regional flights with SQ, to find out if I will have AVOD or not. Generally the Check-in agent will tell me, and if I am told No AVOD than I make sure I buy some Airliner magazines to keep me busy