LHboyatDTW
Topic Author

2 Hr Layover In IAD With Customs: Is It Enough

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:58 am

The title is pretty self-explanatory, but here's the more detailed version of what I'm getting to.

During the spring/summer I have decided to head to Sweden to visit relatives. Seeing that SK via IAD is one of the cheapest options, I have been looking at that.

However one thing has me thinking twice about really deciding to go through Dulles to try SK. I will have around 2 hours to connect in IAD on the way back. Should I make it through in enough time, I may have to run like a bat out of hell or wait an additional 4 hours in what could be hell if I miss the connection.

The SAS flight gets into IAD at around 3:15. I'm not sure if that is where the TATL rush-hour occurs that will determine how quickly I can go through customs/immigration.

So is 2 hours enough to get through customs?

Also the connection to CPH allows me 1 hr 20 min. I imagine that's enough time to get from concourse A to concourse B?
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

NG1Fan

RE: 2 Hr Layover In IAD With Customs: Is It Enough

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:06 am

No Way! IAD is the first US airport to require all ten fingers to be scanned. And your arrival time is indeed rush-hour.

Some years ago, I had a 2 1/2 hour connection at IAD. Took 1 3/4 hours to go through passport control, then search for the bag, head through customs. Remember, there is no bag drop downstairs any more. THey sent us upstairs to look for the UA counter to get new boarding card, and then we hadto run the TSA gauntlet (which was thankfully quick).

When we got to our gate, we made the delayed flight and even spotted our bags from inside the aircraft on a trolley next to the gate. At that very moment, they pushed back......

So allow four hours and you'll have less stress.

NG1Fan

dispatchguy

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:11 pm

What he says, nothing happens fast at IAD, except waiting in line.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

LHboyatDTW
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 1):

well.... there's always NW/KL via AMS for 50 dollars more  Big grin
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

jm017

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:55 pm

You will definitely need more than two hours at IAD.

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 1):
So allow four hours and you'll have less stress.

Yeah, four is more reasonable. Or connecting in AMS.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."