Cubsrule
Topic Author

Biggest Pet Peeve At Your Home Airport

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:47 am

I went through STL today, and I realized that the escalators from the Metrolink station to the terminal are extremely narrow (I've used them many times, but I only thought about how irritating this is today). It's the sort of thing that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things but bugs me. Something tells me that a group of airline fanatics finds similar things annoying at their home airports... what are they?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

NWADC9

RE: Biggest Pet Peeve At Your Home Airport

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 am

Security - When are they gonna allow AirMall shoppers to go through again like they've been planning for years?!?
US Airways still being there
PITops never showing his face when I'm there
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Stitch

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 am

Closure of the transit system after around 8PM. I take the bus or a rental car home so when I come in on a late flight from UA into the North Terminal, I have to walk all the way down to the other end of the airport to where the buses and rental cars because the transit shuttle between the north end of the main terminal and the south end is closed.

My home airport is SEA.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:25 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 1):

You know, if I lived in Pittsburgh...

I think if I had to pick a pet peeve for PIT, though, it would be that it just feels so... 1982.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

57AZ

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:27 am

Pet peeve about TUS-no easy access from the highway and no decent public transportation. One Sun Tran route runs out to the airport, but to transfer to any other route you have to change coaches at one of the three transit centers-very time consuming.

Pet peeve about 57AZ-too many developers building on formerly unoccupied lands surrounding the airpark. Town of Oro Valley and Pima County are looking at adding 700 more homes north and east of the airpark. Many of the airpark's pilots are not happy about this.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

AlexPorter

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:38 am

PHX: My number one peeve about PHX just has to be about the bag claims. PHX bag claims:
- Carousel assignments are often switched multiple times, and once my flight's bags got split between two carousels.
- The screen displaying carousel assignments are often wrong or do not list the flight at all.
- They take forever! Sometimes they work okay, but half the time it is a long wait with hardly anywhere to sit and wait. Once I waited 45 minutes.

MSP:
- Train shuts down in the evening, earlier than it should, especially when flights are still arriving to the A and B concourses.
- Escalators can be confusing in the central lobby, with some leading to bag claim, while others right next to them go up to ticketing, but there are no escalators between the ticket lobby (in the public area) and bag claim level, requiring turnarounds all the way down at the tram level.
- Few concessions in Humphrey past security, although this is improving a bit. It used to just be the bar, but now there is a news stand, and also there is a Caribou Coffee by bag claim now.
- Almost all airline status monitors in the Lindbergh terminal only list NW and SkyTeam flights. To find any info on other airlines you have to basically go to the gate and ask, or call the phone number.

[Edited 2008-01-18 20:45:23]
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

david21487

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 am

My CMH Pet Peeves:

1. The fact that Skybus ("the hometown airline") has like the second smallest ticket counter and worst set up of any airline, thus causing their lines to sometimes wrap the length of the entire ticketing level, blocking other airline counters and causing confusion among every person who enters the building. Seriously, NOT kidding.

2. The fact that there is only one public restroom location on the entire ticketing level.

3. The TSA's CTX machines are located in the ticketing lobby in front of the airline check-in counters. There isn't anywhere else to put them, but it just sucks that they have to be there.

4. Limited food options. There's a Charley's Sub place and Wendy's, but that's it in the food court because the rest of it is under construction. Not sure what they're putting there though. There is also a Max & Erma's sit down restaraunt, but they wont let you call and order food in advance, you have to order it and wait there (which doesn't work for me, since I work at the airport and only get 30 minutes for lunch).

5. The location of the employee parking lot and all of the major traffic jams and lane restrictions caused by the road construction around the area.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

babybus

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 am

LGW, that it looks more like a shopping centre than an airport. Also that the immigration and security is tighter there than at LHR.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

PITingres

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:29 pm

The Gestapo wasting huge amounts of my time, hours of my life that I can never get back, while pretending to make me safer (and doing nothing of the kind). That's at any airport, of course, they aren't especially good or bad at mine.

US Airways still being there

Smile Yep!
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Leskova

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Just once, I'd like to see FRA without any construction going on...

And if the area around the baggage claim could be increased in height so that it wouldn't feel quite as depressed, I wouldn't mind either... fortunately enough, I barely ever travel with checked luggage, so that doesn't matter as much to me.

And they could really improve the areas and signage leading to the regional train station: especially first-time-visitors or non-regular visitors are often confused about what platform they'll have to head to to actually get the next train into town.
Smile - it confuses people!

bok269

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:44 pm

HPN
1. NIMBYs
2. NIMBYs
3. NIMBYs
4. The Terminal is too small, as a result of 1-3.

Everything else is great, on teh other hand.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

iairallie

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:21 pm

SLC
- the long walk to bagage claim and the exit from D terminal.
- no free wi-fi
-2 or 3 psycho TSA agents. The rest are quite nice.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

rwsea

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:29 pm

My SEA pet peeves:
- bad and expensive parking options
- extremely militant customs officers
- longest baggage claim times of any airport in the US

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):
Closure of the transit system after around 8PM.

That is annoying now, however the light rail starting next year will run until midnight (now whether you want to be riding through Rainier Beach at 11pm is another question).

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 5):
PHX: My number one peeve about PHX just has to be about the bag claims. PHX bag claims:

I personally hate transitting through PHX because there is absolutely no food at that airport (especially not in the US gate areas!). Everytime I go through there, it's a ritual of looking up and down each concourse and then settling on some crappy sports bar or fast food place - are they ever gonna get any good food options in PHX?

skywatch

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:12 pm

I can't really think of any problems that I have with AUS.....it's pretty user-friendly. The only thing I don't like about AUS is how far away it is from my house. And with the new toll road segment that leads up to the airport, that's not a pain anymore either. Parking, check-in, security, and food options are all great. And the terminal is always squeaky clean. I guess my biggest pet peeve is the recent influx of CRJ service.  yuck 

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

AlexPorter

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 pm

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 12):
are they ever gonna get any good food options in PHX?

I don't know - I just know the only option in T3 North that isn't a bar is Wendy's, and it closes at 9 PM or so, even though there are a number of redeyes leaving after that on NW and DL (and maybe FL has one too).

MSP on the other hand has a fantastic food court. Quite a world of difference.

flipdewaf

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:49 am

The taxiway lights protruding so much that when I taxi to the runway my traumahawk steadily falls apart.

Fred

AF340

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:13 am

YYZ---

You can't get to the Tim Hortons when you are waiting at the AA, NW, CO, DL, US gates.  banghead 

Liam spin 

Yflyer

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:47 am

SMF, in Terminal B:

1. Who the heck though it was a good idea to put baggage carousels in the middle of the ticketing areas?
2. Security checkpoints too small, resulting in lines frequently backing up down the escalator into the ticketing hall.

The combination of 1 and 2 can sometimes result in the crowd at the baggage carousel and the lines from security and the ticket counters all intermingling on heavy travel days.

3. Last time I flew the display boards didn't show what baggage carousel bags from my flight would be on, so I ended up walking back and forth between carousels looking for my bag. I'm not sure if that would be the airport's or NWA's fault. (I suppose it's possible they announced it on the flight and I didn't hear it)
4. Few concessions past security.
5. It just generally feels old and crummy.

Terminal A, on the other hand, is rather nice and I can't complain about it.

LHboyatDTW

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:38 pm

DTW

Those damn windows in the McNamara.

Hearing the annoying "please watch your step as you exit the moving walk" enough times that I'd rather avoid the moving walkways and run like a bat out of Hell

Smith Terminal, but at least its days are numbered now that it is 2008.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

pitops

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 pm

Say what? Am I missing something?

PIT...

1. Biggest pet peave is the ACAA. Hands down. Anyone disagree with that?

2. That our airport is going down the crapper more and more every year.

3. The ends of A and B concourses being shut down.

4. The terminal looking dark and drab. It was cool when it was built but it's time for a change.

5. How empty the airport is.

6. Restaurant choices. We need some new ones. GOODBYE MCDS!
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

NG1Fan

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:33 pm

BNE pet peeves?
-International terminal and domestic terminal separated by a few km of road. To get from one to the other? Catch the Air train (every 30 min, mind you). Or hail a cab. No other way of connecting.
-Domestic Terminal way overcrowded and old. Horrendous lines at check-in and bag drop-off.
-Airport Roundabout a nightmare during peak hours!
-Hopelessly overpriced food - but that sort of price gouging most airports are guilty of.
-trying to cram too many shops into the sterile departure area (int'l terminal).

NG1Fan

staralliance38

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:53 pm

ORF-Norfolk, VA

TSA is very slow, no change in amenities

PHF-Newport News, VA

US Airways boards at lower gates lol

both airports---nobody changes the Star Alliance signs lol
Roar, lion, roar

AlexPorter

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:19 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 18):
Those damn windows in the McNamara.

What's wrong with them? I connected there once and I didn't see any problems, but it was rainy that day and with the angle of that terminal I suppose I can imagine the sun blaring into the windows at dawn/dusk with not much shade cover, is that the problem? Or is it something to do with the ticketing area (which I have not been to)? Or the regional concourse?

RedTailDTW

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 22):
What's wrong with them? I connected there once and I didn't see any problems, but it was rainy that day and with the angle of that terminal I suppose I can imagine the sun blaring into the windows at dawn/dusk with not much shade cover, is that the problem? Or is it something to do with the ticketing area (which I have not been to)? Or the regional concourse?

The problem with the windows is that you can't take pictures out of them and it's not easy to see clearly out of them. The reason for this being that they have small black dots on them to keep the air conditioning costs low. They are so annoying!

Here is a picture of them:

Big version: Width: 1600 Height: 1200 File size: 406kb

Mason

[Edited 2008-01-24 16:15:54]
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

AF340

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:04 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 16):
YYZ---

You can't get to the Tim Hortons when you are waiting at the AA, NW, CO, DL, US gates.

Ohhhh, and the GTAA in general!

Liam spin 

kmh1956

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:19 am

BDA....coming back from vacation and having to deal with (extremely) sullen Customs and Immigration officers.....UGH!
Whenever I travel, I declare EVERYTHING purchased while away, but Customs still treat you like a criminal...and Immigration officers couldn't smile if you stuck a hanger in their mouths.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

vatveng

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:47 am

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 21):
PHF-Newport News, VA

US Airways boards at lower gates lol

The cramped baggage claim. You get a DL MD88 and an AirTran 737 landing at the same time, you got 250+ people crowded into that itty bitty baggage claim.

redngold

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:50 am

CLE:

Main terminal (Concourses A,B,C) are very dark and narrow, causing crowding and an overall sense of dreariness. Contrast Concourse D, finished in the mid-1990s, which is much wider and glass walled.

Because of how narrow the main terminal concourses are, and the structure itself, moving sidewalks cannot be installed. This is particularly annoying when going to the banjo (far end of C) or the end of A. Concourse B at least feels shorter than A.

Lack of a direct connection between the ticketing area and Concourse D. There are rumored plans for excavation of a tunnel to make a direct connection. Right now you have to walk out Concourse C to where C10 used to be and then take a tunnel out. That works fairly well if you're connecting between Continental Express and a Continental mainline flights, but not for all of the O&D passengers through Concourse D alone.
Up, up and away!

ReidYYZ

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 16):
You can't get to the Tim Hortons when you are waiting at the AA, NW, CO, DL, US gates. banghead

What? The cuppa' joe not good enough at TGI McScratchies?

YYZ:
Pretending to be an International gateway.........without direct subway/rail service. The LINK Train people mover does not count. (Like they have in Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook)

RW170

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:44 pm

IND:

- LONG taxi times when arriving on 23L or 23R and when departing 5L or 5R.
- Old, dingy concourses.
- Having to exit the secure area to go between concourses.

Thankfully these will all be taken care of when the new terminal opens later this year.
319/320/321/712/733/734/735/73G/738/752/753/763/CR2/CR9/DH8/135/145/170/175/190/D9S/D94/D95/M82/M83/M88

arffdude

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:37 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 10):
HPN
1. NIMBYs
2. NIMBYs
3. NIMBYs

Agreed 1000 times over

AsstChiefMark

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:05 am

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

lobster

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:58 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Thread starter):
Biggest Pet Peeve At Your Home Airport

TSA

aruba

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 pm

The traffic going into JFK. It is sometime the most stressful part of flying.
B738,B752,A310,A319,A321,A343,A346,Dash8,EMB170_JFK,BDL,MBJ,SJU,AUA,DKR,JNB,CPT,HDS,IAD...But South Africa is the best!

747luvr

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:01 am

My biggest peeve at MCO is......not enuf 747's come in here  Smile Boo Ya

deltairlines

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:07 am

For GSO, my biggest pet peeve is coming from Winston-Salem, it's a bit of a hassle to get to the terminal now that they've changed the roads to accommodate construction of the new Runway 5L/23R. It used to be a straight shot into the terminal, but now we have to go up, take a right, come back down and then back up to the terminal. It adds about 2.5 miles and 7 minutes or so to get to the terminal.

That being said, that's my only problem with GSO. I show up 35 minutes before my flight and still make it to the gate in time for First Class boarding; while being able to grab my McPaper at the newsstand. They have a Dunkin Donuts on the DL concourse now as well, which is great. My sole complaint is there are only 2 Delta mainline flights a day now, which makes it a lot tougher to upgrade.

Still, GSO is not that bad of an airport in terms of infrastructure.

ShannoninAMA

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:55 am

AMA -
1.Lack of mainline service (besides WN)
2.Lack of Community who cares  Wink

All jokes aside -

• Slow baggage carousels. There are only two of them, but (the few) flights that do come to AMA, arrive in flurries per say. So it takes a while to find the baggage.
  • Dumb Terminal Design. Instead of using both terminals like we used to, we have shoved all carriers into one and left the other terminal rotting, and unused for 3 years. (Well i say that, there was a DL 757 emergency landing that was shoved into that terminal a few months ago. Feel sorry for them!  Wink )
  • Lack of dedication to the new airport. We have been getting our "NEW AMA" project (Tear down current airport, and create a new one that is supposed to be a modernized version of LBB) pushed back further and further. Current beginning date on the project is "Fall 08"

Shan Big grin
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

united319

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 am

MSY:

1) It's falling apart
2) The FIDs screens at our gates are burned out (not the airlines responsibility to repair them)
3) You try to get them to fix something and it takes forever
4) Limited food choices; Sonic, Popeyes, Acme Oyster House, Subway and the rest is Generic
5) The vacant gates/ticket counters are an eye sore to look at, they just collect dust and garbage
6) CTX machines still in front of tkt counters
7) You can still see where Pan Am operations office was
8) Baggage make up rooms look worse than a 3rd world prison cell
9) Jetways/Terminals leak when it rains
10) Signs on the concourse that lead to nowhere

SAN:
1) Terminal 1 & 1/2 of Terminal 2 are starting to show their age
2) Not enough gates last time I heard it was somewhere around 51 overnighting A/C with 45 gates
3) One runway
4) Difficult access between the commuter terminal and the main terminals
It's Time To Fly

flymia

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:32 am

Quoting 747LUVR (Reply 34):

What?

Anyway for MIA it takes way to long for your luggage to get to baggage claim way to long! I waited 40minutes once for a 777 from LAX bags to come in. They said that LAX did not separate the bags from connecting flights to O/D and thats why it took so long. Also you are addressed in Spanish first, I dont mind this much but still sometimes its to much.
Also hate it how the only domestic 777 flight now is MIA-LAX BOS and DFW are being taken away  Sad
AA needs to fly to some more European destinations! Milan,FRA,BCN,BRU?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LASoctoberB6

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:42 am

When I find something annoying about LAS, I'll come back to this thread..  Smile
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

fxramper

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:51 am

I hate those tornadoes dropping in on us on MEM.  duck 

deltairlines

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 39):
When I find something annoying about LAS, I'll come back to this thread..

Plenty of annoying things about LAS:

-Getting dropped off at Terminal 1 is a mess
-Security checkpoints are awful - it's too bad there's not enough room to double capacity, especially at the D gates (Terminal 3 can't come soon enough)
-No convinient lounge (US Club is landside; no club in Concourse D until the CO lounge opens up...hopefully sooner than later)
-Concourse A/B is starting to show it's age
-Food options aren't that great in the D gates (not a big fan of a lot of the restaurants out there, especially for fast food).
-Baggage claim can take a long time
-Taxi queue can take a long time

sunshine79

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm

At NCL, the only decent spotting area now is the departure lounge, but you don't get much time in there as security is so slow. We used to have specators platform where you could see everything, but we lost it when they renovated the airport years ago. Also, Servisair need a big kick up the backside as they take forever to unload baggage onto the belts.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

GivenRandy

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 am

BDL

The long line(s) at McDonalds. Most of the other things aren't bad. Not great, maybe, but not horrible either.

jrbkkatl

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:22 am

ATL. That sinking feeling you get when you think you've been making good time at check-in then you see the security line stretch pass the food court and into baggage claim.

The slightest reason makes the security line awful long... the weekend of a game, president's day, ground hog's day etc.. anything!

Skydoll

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:34 pm

JFK / LGA Food Court - not enough choices.

lesismore

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:36 am

ONT
- Has two terminals that are not connected. What with the limited number of operators, why not just one larger terminal building?
- Have to wait forever to board a shuttle bus to/from long-term parking
- Not enough restaurants/bars and gift shops. Everything also closes too early. Very boring terminal to pass time in.
- No more widebodies fly into the airport, except for the cargo airlines.
- Used to be able to fly to more destinations from here - i.e. HNL, MSP
- Cannot take the escalators from ticketing up to security/gates. Why are they even there?
I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. - Abe Lincoln

PHXmd80

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 12):
are they ever gonna get any good food options in PHX?

T4 has some great food options, my favorite being Flo's Shanghai Bistro. Unfortunately, you have to exit security to get to the over 40 food options, shops, and restaurants. THAT is my biggest pet peeve about PHX. The second is the International concourse, also in T4, is crap and shouldv'e been remodeled years ago, but instead the city is too busy building a light rail system that goes nowhere, that nobody will ride. My third pet peeve is all three US Airways Clubs suck, but hey, its US Airways. They need quick meal service, because you have to go outside security to get a decent meal, and a T-Mobile Hot Spot.

PHXmd80

fxramper

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:08 am

"We are sitting on the tarmac, call you later!"

Yeah sure

LASoctoberB6

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:37 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 41):
-Concourse A/B is starting to show it's age

It's been showing it's age, and they are indeed renovating it. Besides, it's unique.

-Getting dropped off at Terminal 1 is a mess
-Security checkpoints are awful - it's too bad there's not enough room to double capacity, especially at the D gates (Terminal 3 can't come soon enough)

Not all the time. Every time I go, it's a breeze.

-Baggage claim can take a long time

That, I'll admit.

-Taxi queue can take a long time

Ride the CAT Bus..  Wink
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}