EvilForce
Topic Author

If You Could Be CEO Of Any Airline, Which One?

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:25 am

If you could be the CEO / CFO / COO / CMO of any airline, anywhere in the world, which airline would it be and why would you want to have your position?

For me I would want to be CEO/CMO of AirAsia. I think it would be great to be bringing a product to a part of the world that can really benefit from low cost travel. In addition they are a dynamic airline with 65+ planes currently with another 150+ aircraft on firm order.

For me it's more exciting to be building an airline from the ground up, rather than manage a United/NW/DL or whatever with all the labor problems and existing issues. I'd rather be the scrappy new kid on the block vs. the flag carrier any day of the week.

How about you? What company would you like to run, or be in charge of a dept?

[Edited 2008-01-25 18:25:39]
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

deltal1011man

RE: If You Could Be CEO Of Any Airline, Which One?

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:38 am

Delta or United
with Delta i would build up Asia all alone from LAX and ATL. I would order 737s,787s,777-200ERs more 777-200LRs and 777-300ER.

and with UA i would Build up Europe from ORD and IAD. I would order 737s,787s,777-200LRs and 777-300ERs.

ok I will wake up now.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

FlagshipAZ

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:39 am

American. In the fleet planning department. AA would have an all twin-engined fleet consisting of
73Gs, 738s, 752s, 763s, 772s & 783s.
BTW, this topic belongs in Polls & Preferences.
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

LN-MOW

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:41 am

A small airline with a large cash reserve operating one-two Dash 8's in the Caribbean between a couple of islands with a leasurly schedule. .....
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

aviateur

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:51 am

Cape Air (get some f&%#* turboprops already).

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

aa1818

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:54 am

Emirates- unlimited cash, exciting expansion plans, not too many headaches.

AA- just 'cuz they are airline of choice when I fly (price, schedule, destinations etc- not service!)

Caribbean Airlines (BW)- Getting back in the black, new airline, on the cusp of expansion.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

rampart

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 am

Quoting LN-MOW (Reply 3):
A small airline with a large cash reserve operating one-two Dash 8's in the Caribbean between a couple of islands with a leasurly schedule. .....

Now you are talking. I'm the same, except transport me back a few decades. Cheap fuel. Cheap aircraft. Load factors of 10% were OK. I'd use something smaller, like an Islander or a Twin Otter, maybe with floats, in the Pacific Northwest or Maine. Or better yet, a used Lodestar, hauling daily (or twice weekly) necessities as well as the occasional tourist along with the regular folks. Surely there were some neglected but viable communities just waiting for my brand of competent yet friendly service. I was born in the wrong era.

-Rampart

aviateur

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:01 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 5):
Caribbean Airlines (BW)- Getting back in the black, new airline, on the cusp of expansion.

Sort of, except BWIA was around for 60 years before being, um, reborn as Caribbean.

The demise of BW was lamented here....

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/01/09/askthepilot260/

- PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

UN_B732

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 am

ExpressJet, I'd love the challenge of having 69 RJs, and basically doing whatever I want with them that doesn't involve Continental's turf. I'd scale-back branded ops bigtime.

-A
What now?

spartanmjf

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:06 am

Southwest, hands down.

Great operations, great balance sheet, fleet plan in place, and how many years of consistent profitability?

stirthepot   stirthepot   stirthepot 
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

iceberg210

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am

Easy AA.

My first priority would be service, without it AA is just any other airline but when the service that used to be there on a perfectlly consistant basis, and you can still find from time to time, shines through you see how this airline got to where it is today. In order to do this I would distribute gripe sheets to passengers on our flights where they could write down any problems, praise or concern with the airline. All gripe sheets that were turned in with commments or anything would be immediately responded to on a company blog and in any way that the customer specified on the sheet, even if that means I have to meet them face to face. Service is going above and beyond what anyone expects, and that's what we'd have to do to fix the service issues on AA.

Beyond that I'd hold mounthly "Meet the CEO" meetings with customers and employees where they could come and ask questions, or send them in, call in whatever. These would be places where the administration of the airline would have to be in plain sight because not only would this be a live town council type of meeting but it would also be webcast and put on the website in video format. By making the executives accountable to both the employees and the customers we can weed out problems before they become to big to handle in an easy way. The best way to solve problems is to sit down and talk with the people who are having the problems and ones that can fix the problems which these meetings would provide.

I'd also completely rehash Eagle. The first way would be by going up to Embraer and talking to them about making a new EMB-120 program, and at the same time talking to Bombardier about an improved DHC-8 Q200 and have the two compete for replacement of many of the ERJ's (and iany other manufactures who wanted to join the race whether they be SAAB or even Beech). I'd also tie it to an order for the winners larger jets such as the EMB-170 and CRJ-700 (or DHC-8 Q400) for growth by replacing the smaller jets with the larger ones. It is obvious to everyone that fifty seater jets just don't work anymore in most cases and by replacing them with new generation props we would increase effiency and profitability. The other thing that this would do is tailor our fleet more to the types of flying that is being done by the various aircraft.

In order to make the scope clauses work I'd implement a new strategy with the pilots. The problem these days is that the airlines are so hell bent on little planes little salaries they alienate their pilots. I'd immediately work out a situation where Eagle pilots (and other staffers) would get raises to levels while still below that of AA it would bring them closer to the same level and tie that in with a relaxation of the scope clauses. Another thing you would do is that you would order some 787's from Boeing telling the pilots that these aren't on condition and that whatever happens with the other negiatioins you're still buying those 787's. This way they know you're not just baiting them and trying to do a punishment reward scenario.

There are many other things that I'd try and do and lord knows if any of them would work but I'd try and knowing that I"m not a CEO nor have the training for it yet it probably wouldn't work so well, but hey we can dream can't we??
Erik Berg (Foster's is over but never forgotten)

iceberg210

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:25 am

Quoting Spartanmjf (Reply 9):
Southwest, hands down.

Southwest is my favorite airline and surely they'd be a blast to run, but I'm looking for a challenge and a place where I could leave my mark. Southwest will always be Herb's airline.
Erik Berg (Foster's is over but never forgotten)

ERJ170

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:30 am

Bahamasair..

There is so much that could be done..

1. Make the 732 cargo planes.. fly for VRF cargo and true cargo shipments.. and charge the hell out of cargo
2. Lease 5x 737-700 for Large tier US, Canada, Caribbean, and South American cities
3. Order 5x Q400 for Mid tier US and Caribbean markets
4. Keep the 6x Q300 for the Small tier Caribbean markets
5. Keep NAS hub, open BDA hub
6. Blanket as much of the US and Caribbean as I can.. anything from 2x weekly up to 4 x daily...
7. Codeshare with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America for London and West Coast US service..
8. Cancel Codeshare with US.. they aren't doing anything good with it..
9. Hook up with a Vacation Company to offer scheduled charter flights a la USA3000 for the 2 & 3 weekly flights
10. Outsource maintenance to a company that makes sure all FAA rules are observed... make it a RON destination.
11. Offer genuine Bahamian and Bermudian cuisine and beverages on flights..

Just a couple of thoughts..
Aiming High and going far..

Tan Flyr

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:46 am

TWA or Pan American...about 1978-80 and beyond. In short summation:

PA..would have never bought NA. Develop a logical domestic network. Ordered MD-80's for most of it, as it would have been short to mid length feeder flights to the International Network. Phased down some 747 ops, ordered more 1011-500's to make it a viable sub fleet. Eventually 767-300 ER, and then 777's. Also 752's for domestic trans-cons and some Latin American services. A lot of internal improvments also..too many to list.

TWA.. No.1.priorty would have been to stay out of Ichans hands. However, to have made it TWA would have needed a revolutionary management style and focus. Somehow found the monies to retire the 707 fleet earlier, Order 757's earlier as well as expanded the deal with Mc Donnell on the MD-80's. Found a way to either partner or develop Latin American services and get back to Asia. Hopefully found monies to retire the 747's by the mid-90's and all TATL would have been 767 or 777.

I would (with hindsight as 20/20 vision!LOL!) have enjoyed the challenge of keeping one of these legacy carriers as a viable enterprise into the 21st century.

HPAEAA

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:53 am

Alright I'll bite.. CEO of AA.. why? because they are at the bottom of the barrel right now in the investors eyes.. and little improvement could yield massive gains... there are so many areas in which AA could make gains in passenger experience, to marketing, to data mining that the assets and potential are almost unlimited compared to any other carrier in the world, however current management has failed to realize the potential that their peers have on smaller scales, that an the unions are up for renegotiation... granted, I may cause a walk out, but in the long run, it would be worth it...
Why do I fly???

MattRB

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:09 am

COO of CO between 1994 & 2004. Wouldn't mind having the opportunity to learn a few things from one Mr. Gordon Bethune on how to run a business..
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Falcon84

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:12 am

Continental, of course.

I don't think there is a better bunch of people, overall, in the business, than my co-workers. I'd stack them up against anyone in the world.
Work Right, Fly Hard

shadez

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:16 am

Skybus.... I like a challenge.

steeler83

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:55 am

UA:

I would do everything I can to improve customer satisfaction (better seats/more world-class interior, encourage the staff to be more friendly and attentave to pax)

I would tweak DEN a little so that the market is more appropriately served (according to other posts about F9 and UA at DEN. I would continue to make ORD better to help with congestion and delays. Expand IAD. Convert to an all Boeing fleet and order the 748.

my pipedream: open MCI and PIT as small focus cities to complement IAD, ORD, and DEN, and open FLL focus city/secondary hub for Latin/South America flights. Of course, this pipedream would likely prove to be suicidal...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

RedTailDTW

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:40 am

I would choose NORTHWEST because I could turn the airline around better than stupid Steenland has been doing. Introduce some IFE to the planes, actually serve snacks on the planes and introduce newly updated cabins (especially in first class). The are more things that could be done but tat's basically all I could think about at the moment.

Mason (Long live Northwest Airlines!)
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

B747forever

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:05 am

SAS or EI and make them back in the shape they where once!!!
Work Hard, Fly Right

Pe@rson

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 20):
SAS or EI and make them back in the shape they where once!!!

What, unprofitable?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

NWASkyking

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 pm

emirates because of the great service, and great hub.

also NW because they are one of my favorite airlines, and it would be awesome to replace steenland
Safe

lobster

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:10 am

I'd pick NW. There are my "hometown" airline and I fly them alot. Given the flights I've had, I think there are definitely some changes I'd make. Overall though, I think they do a good job. Airlines just need more and better customer service.

kstateinALB

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:51 am

I'd have to choose UA. It would be a tough time, but someone has gotta do it.

The first thing would be to loosen up the company. Make it a family/team..... where everyone works together for a common cause, to remain profitable and allow our passengers to have a safe and cheap flight.

I'd increase customer satisfaction ratings. Adding PTV's may be a stretch, but I would create a system which they could be put on all mainline a/c except for 733/735. The system, along with having movies/music, and the like, would also be able to allow passengers the ability to choose food/drink on the touchscreen, to possibly save time for the flight crew.

Personally, I'd start phasing out the 733/735 fleet, and order some A318's as well as the other a/c we have on order, in terms of the A319's and A320's. The A318's would give us some leverage on some flights which could use more than 70 seats, but less than 130, such as MCI-IAD, etc. I would also put in an order for the 787, no question, as well as the 748, to help out when we are in the situation to take out some of our older 744's.

Sad but true, I have been thinking of a way to allow college students the ability to fly when needed for a cheaper price. Something where a college or university can sign up to be a part of it, and in return, allows their students the opportunity to buy a ticket for a cheaper price than some. This could bring more passengers in and gain more revenue for future gains for the airline.

Someday I feel I have the ability to take over an airline...who knows....
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

PavlovsDog

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:43 pm

I would happily take over SK which isn't even coming close to living up to it's potential.

Step 1- buy Frontier Airlines Holding

Frontier Airlines of the US is losing money. At the same time they have a market capitalization of only $115 million. This despite them having cash on hand of $170 million. Looking further down the balance sheet they have property, plant and equipment worth $737million. There long-term debt however is only $503 million. Add to that a freequent flyer program worth a few million more not reflected on the books.

That means Frontier is worth more dead than alive. SAS gets a shiny new fleet (assuming the leasing agents for that portion of the fleet are amenable to the idea) and don't have to wait five years for new deliveries. That means they get 11 318's, 49 319's and can take over an order for 10 320's. They could replace their MD-80 fleet over night and the leased aircraft substituting for the Q-400's as well.

They can then sell the freequent flyer program to Star Alliance partner United Airlines which already has a massive hub at Denver were Frontier is based. Not only do they get rid of one pesky competitor but they are much better positioned to battle Sourthwest who are growing their Denver operations. Let's assume United is very much willing to pay an inflated price to increase their market share and profitability in Denver. Let's say SK gets $25 million for the frequent flyer program.

Look at the equation:

-$150 million -presumed purchase price for Frontier shares
-$500 million-assumption of frontier's long-term debt
+150 million- probable amount of cash on hand now
+150 million- proceeds of the sale of the MD-80's
+25 million-F9's frequent flyer program to United
+175 million-sale of F9's virtually new Q-400's
-$25 million- severence packages to Frontier's employees.

$175 million is basically what it would cost SK to get a fleet of 60 fairly new (less than 3 years average) Airbus narrowbodies. 22 of these are owned by Frontier the others are leased. Considering a new Airbus 319 costs about $45 million I'd say that's a heck of a deal. They also get 10 320'a on the way.

In addition you'd have cost savings from operating more fuel efficient aircraft and could probably get something for F9's operating certificate as well.

Step 2-Pursue merger with Icelandair Group

This merger would be of the holding companies with no cash changing hands in order to not encumber the enterprise with added debt.

Icelandair has a really well placed hub for trans-Atlantic operations with narrowbody aircraft.

Icelandair has a passenger fleet of 17 757-200's and 1 757-300. Rather than using those aircraft to Europe, shorter range aircraft like 737's and Airbus 32x's could be utilized. That would enable the 757's to be used to open up more routes within North America.

I imagine the Icelandic government would be enthusiastic about expanding the Keflavik to handle more operations.

Icelandair will also take delivery of 5 Boeing 737-800 and 4 Boeing 787-8 from 2010.

Step 3- Rebranding

The merged company would consist of the following wholly owned airlines:

Scandinavian Airlines International
Scandinavian Airlines Danmark
Scandinavian Airlines Sverige
Scandinavian Airlines Norge (previously known as SAS Braathens)
Widerøe
Blue1
SAS Cargo Group
Icelandair
Air Iceland
Icelandair Cargo
Bluebird Cargo

and that doesn't count Spanair which is for sale.

I think that is far too many names. I propose they go with the name Nordic Airways and Nordic Cargo and keep the SAS livery as it is.

Step 4- Rationalization

Sell off non-core assets.

-The already planned sale of Spanair and SAS's BMI operations should continue.
-Sell Icelandair Hotels
-Sell Icelease

Hubs- Establish Keflavik as the primary trans-Atlantic hub- This will allow the narrow-body fleet to increase it's utilization rate due to increased night flying. Increase the number of destinations served from Iceland, both in North America and Europe. This does not mean SK/FI will discontinue non-stops from Copenhagen and Stockholm to North America. They will continue, as is.

Stockholm will be established as the gateway to Eastern Asia. Flights to Bangkok, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing will be transferred there to combat Finnair which has taken a big chunk of the Swedish market to Asia.

Copenhagen will continue as the hub for flights between the Nordic region and destinations in Europe. It will also retain flights to Dubai and New Delhi.

Oslo will continue unchanged.

Administration: Operating so many entities and brands is bound to cause some inefficiencies. Rhe merged company should have plenty of scope for cost-cutting-

Passenger Fleet: following the take over of F9's fleet and the sale of the MD-80's the merged operations fleet would be such:

type Number Seating
Airbus 318 - 11
Airbus 319-100 53 141
Airbus 320-200 (10)
Airbus 321-200 8 198
Airbus 330-300 4 264
Airbus 340-300 7 (1) 245
Boeing 737-400 4 150
Boeing 737-500 13 120
Boeing 737-600 26 112-123
Boeing 737-700 17 131-141
Boeing 737-800 13(7) 186
Boeing 757-200 12 189
Boeing 757-300 1 231
Boeing 787-8 4
Bombardier Dash 8 Q100 18
Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 11
Fokker 50 12 50

Orders: Nordic Airways would use a large portion of it's improved balance sheet and cash flow to rationalize the fleet.

The 737's would be sold to leasing companies and replaced with Airbus narrowbodies.

The Airbus widebodies would gradually be replaced by Boeing 787's

By mid-decade the fleet would be based around three basic jet families. A320, B757 and B787.

dfwmzuri

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:32 pm

I'll take SQ - Singapore Airlines. Singapore is a beautiful city, a great hub to fly in and out from. I think this is a great airline with great service and routes.

wilco737

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:03 pm

I think I dont want to be CEO of any airline! I prefer doing the flying job! I would rather be Chief Pilot or something like that... Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

steeler83

Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:04 am

Quoting KstateinALB (Reply 24):
Sad but true, I have been thinking of a way to allow college students the ability to fly when needed for a cheaper price. Something where a college or university can sign up to be a part of it, and in return, allows their students the opportunity to buy a ticket for a cheaper price than some. This could bring more passengers in and gain more revenue for future gains for the airline.

That sounds like a very good idea. May I consider a New Years sale to entice students to travel for Spring Break?  Wink  drunk 
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

kstateinALB

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:55 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 28):
May I consider a New Years sale to entice students to travel for Spring Break?

Wouldnt want to be the gate agent on those flights..... Smile
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

steeler83

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting KstateinALB (Reply 29):
Wouldnt want to be the gate agent on those flights.....

Nah I suppose not. Any mob of 18-21-year-olds would be sure to scare just about anyone over the age of 30 or so away...  silly 

stratosphere

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:23 am

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 19):
I would choose NORTHWEST because I could turn the airline around better than stupid Steenland has been doing

Quoting NWASkyking (Reply 22):
also NW because they are one of my favorite airlines, and it would be awesome to replace steenland

I wish either one of you had been CEO in 2005 instead of that rat face bastard Steenland and his henchmen.

babybus

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:50 am

I'd like to take on BMI. I think I'd be able to make a better job of it.  thumbsup 
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

PHXmd80

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:55 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 15):
COO of CO between 1994 & 2004. Wouldn't mind having the opportunity to learn a few things from one Mr. Gordon Bethune on how to run a business..

That would be Greg Brenneman, the guy that later turned around PwCConsulting, Burger King, and is currently at Quizno's. Prior to CO, he was a consultant with Bain & Company specializing in corporate turnarounds. He was half of the leadership at CO during the 90's, and taught Bethune as many things as Bethune taught him. Take a look at From Worst to First by Gordo, a great read.

On to the subject: UA
a few reasons: 1) because their new UnitedBusiness and UnitedFirst is AWESOME 2) their hubs are ORD, DEN, IAD, SFO, and LAX. the possibilites are almost endless 3) E+ 4)Ch. 9 and 5)Ted

First we'd create a new culture at the company, one that presents UA as both a company that has fun, but gets stuff done better then anyone else. UA would become the US' best airline, beating out WN, CO, and B6. We'd order 787-3, 787-8, 787-9, 747-8, A319, A320, A321 and E190; About 200 aircraft overall to replace the fleet. All new aircraft, and all aircraft remaining in the fleet would get PTV's with AVOD, internet, the current snackboxes complementary on flights between 2-4 hours, and the sandwiches and salads, complementary on flights over 4 hours. We would attempt to buy CLT from US, and grow an atlantic operation from IAD, CLT, and ORD. Ted would remain, although in a different format. We would buy an operating certificate from a struggling carrier (Boston-Maine Airways dba Pan Am Clipper Connection), and spin it off as a vacation airline to Mexico and the Carribean (all US domestic would get first class back!). Ted would get PTV's, and being it's own carrier, as recognized by the DOT and FAA, it would have its own uniform, fight crews, check-in area's and gate area's decorated like the A concourse gates at DEN when Ted was introduced. No mergers are on the horizon. The cargo and maintenance divisions, and Mileage Plus would be spun off. UAL Corp. would become similar to ACE Aviation Holdings, but with many different aspects of a travel conglamerate, such as UAL Corp. was in the 80's when it changed its name to Allegis. Come to think of it UA, Westin, and Hertz would actually make a very good group again.

PHXmd80

RedTailDTW

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:59 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 31):
I wish either one of you had been CEO in 2005 instead of that rat face bastard Steenland and his henchmen.

Northwest has had some of the worst CEO's over the past decade. Steenland needs to just walk away and let someone else come in and change the airline around. Northwest has the ability to be a top-notch carrier but Steenland is the one holding them back.

Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

alfa75

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Virgin.

Sir Richard just looks like he is having too much fun.
The best things in life aren't things!

planewasted

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:53 am

SAS would be nice, if I got to decide everything. The problem with SAS i think, is that the CEO can't do what he wants because of governments and unions.

a380us

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 5):
Emirates- unlimited cash, exciting expansion plans, not too many headaches.

there we go
well if you got EK
ill take EY
any plane i want any time
Hey maybe well build or own airport
www.JandACosmetics.com