midex461
Topic Author

Best US City To Fly To SYD From

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 am

I'm planning a trip to Sydney around the end of March and was wondering if I'm better off leaving from SFO or LAX. I think I should point out that I will be traveling on ZED (Industry discount) tickets, so what I'm really curious about is which city has loads most favorable to non-revving.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

HALFA

RE: Best US City To Fly To SYD From

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:35 pm

I work HA's HNL-SYD flights almost every week and we almost always have empty seats for nonrevs. If you give me specific dates, I can check the loads for you and let you know how things look. HA's flights to SYD operate only 3 days per week, departing HNL on SAT, TUE, and THUR. Return flights to HNL from SYD depart SYD on SUN, WED, and FRI.

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

Transpac787

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Right now UA's LAX/SFO-SYD flights operate at 100% LF's every day..... completely hopeless for nonrevs. In fact, I think they currently have a nonrev embargo on the routes until the end of Feb.

As far as the end of March goes though, I'd imagine that would be a lot more favorable loads. If you want me to check any specific UA loads for given dates, shoot me a PM. Anyhow, it looks as if the spring schedule to SYD for UA is:

SFO-SYD:
UA863 1020p 650a+2 744

LAX-SYD:
UA839 1028p 705a+2 744

To answer your other question though...... with UA it is really hit or miss on whether SFO or LAX will have the more open flights. If I had to make a generalization though, I'd say that LAX tends to carry more F/C pax whereas SFO tends to carry more Y pax. So, I'd go with UA863 if you can get a C-class ZED, and UA839 if you can only get a Y-class ZED.

[Edited 2008-02-12 12:30:34]

midex461
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:08 am

I've checked with my pass bureau, and except for LH and LX, all of the US pass agreements are Y class.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways