CoolGuy
Topic Author

Connection Using Two Different Itineraries

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Here's something that might be a new scenario:

I am flying on CO for CLE to DCA on the return portion of one itinerary. I just bought a one-way ticket, DCA to EWR, which is on CO and happens to be the same flight number as CLE-DCA. The flights are 33 minutes apart. I have bags to check, and I'm wondering if I can have this set up so that my bags will be checked all the way to EWR. Because of the time between flights, I can't pick it up and recheck it.

So to recap: CO CLE-DCA & CO DCA-EWR on different itineraries, 33 minutes apart, how do I avoid a problem?

ClassicLover

RE: Connection Using Two Different Itineraries

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 pm

There should be no issue whatsoever - it's the same airline.

You just need to check in for both flights when you check in for the first one.

Though I think 33 minutes is really tight to ensure your bag will make it... is it the same aircraft? Or what?
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

baguy

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 pm

I havent connected too many times or been to DCA, but even to me 33 minutes seems to be cutting it fine. It only needs a small delay or mishap for you to miss your flight.

Hope it works out O.K.

BAguy

IAHFLYR

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Good luck getting through security after you re-check your bag at DCA. Might be smart to change to a single itinerary and not worry about it.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

CoolGuy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:34 pm

It's the same flight number and the same aircraft. I just want to have the suitcase checked through to EWR without having to retrieve it and check it back in for the same exact aircraft and the same flight number.

IAHFLYR

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 4):
It's the same flight number and the same aircraft. I just want to have the suitcase checked through to EWR without having to retrieve it and check it back in for the same exact aircraft and the same flight number

Yeah understood, same flight number...only thing I can think of is to show the ticket agent your second itinerary for the DCA-EWR leg when you check your luggage in CLE, they might let you but I'm thinking not when you go through DCA, just a hunch.

Any reason you've done that and are checking luggage? Unless your being a courier almost the non-stop CLE-EWR might be a good idea!  Confused

If it is a mileage run, full Y fare wold get ya double segs and 150% miles toward Elite but oh well.

Best of luck
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

CoolGuy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 pm

The reason for all this is that originally I was taking DCA-CLE and CLE-DCA, but now my plans have changed and I have to return to EWR. The cheapest way by far is to simply take another flight, DCA-EWR. It's quite convinient and just a coincidence that I managed to get the same flight number and same aircraft.

staralliance38

Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:09 pm

I did that before on US. I went from ONT-PHX and on a separate ticket, PHX-ORF. I just told them when I check in that I'll be connecting to PHL to ORF. There was no problem  Smile

You'll be fine  Smile
Roar, lion, roar