Ansett767
Topic Author

UA Domestic First Class

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 am

I wanted to know what UA's domestic first class is like on their narrow bodies for short haul trips like LAX to DEN and from DEN to ATL?

THey don't seem to offer business class so I am booked on F Class for these sectors.

The seats are bigger - what is meal service like? Do I get access to the business/first lounges in US domestic first/?

Thanks in advance Smile

FlyASAGuy2005

RE: UA Domestic First Class

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 am

Nothing special:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Quinn Savit
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nitin Sarin

Both legs you listed will have no meal service. Snacks and free booze most definately.

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
Do I get access to the business/first lounges in US domestic first/?

No.
What gets measured gets done.

Orion737

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 am

Whats the meal service like? hahaha, there isnt one not even in F would you believe it!!! They come with a wicker basket full of salted or sugary rubbish which has all the nutritional value and taste as candy floss.

Ansett767
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:59 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 2):
Whats the meal service like? hahaha, there isnt one not even in F would you believe it!!! They come with a wicker basket full of salted or sugary rubbish which has all the nutritional value and taste as candy floss.

WOW! What?!

They cut meals in F class as well? not even a sandwich? I didn't realise it had become sooooo nothing lol!

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 3):
WOW! What?!

They cut meals in F class as well? not even a sandwich? I didn't realise it had become sooooo nothing lol!

Where have you been? I don't know of ANY carrier in the US that will serve meals on a flight under 3 hrs.

koruman

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:06 pm

Nice seats, like Qantas domestic business, and often with EMpower sockets.

No lounge access unless you are Star Alliance Gold.

Warmed up nuts as snacks, and I got a steak dinner (excellent) on a 757 service BOS-SFO last year.

I used to pay US$550 for a three sector Star Alliance Economy Class pass in the USA, but now I've found that for less than $1000 I can fly non-refundable First Class just about anywhere, and get Air NZ frequent flyer points at first class rates!

SoBe

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:07 pm

UA serves meals in F on flights greater than 2 hours.

Orion737

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:14 pm

What qualifies as a 'meal' in Uniteds terms, warmed up nuts? or a bag of chips/pretzels?

SoBe

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 7):
What qualifies as a 'meal' in Uniteds terms, warmed up nuts? or a bag of chips/pretzels?

Salad, Bread, Entree, Dessert.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Quoting SoBe (Reply 6):

Good point. I consider an F meal as something that I need a fort and knife to consume that's on a plate or in a bowl. Heck, I remember when a snack in Delta terms in F a nice chicken wrap or something similar. I had a lot of those on ATL-BOS-ATL flights.

777fan

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 1):
Snacks and free booze most definately.

They come with a wicker basket full of salted or sugary rubbish which has all the nutritional value and taste as candy floss.

WOW! What?!

As many have mentioned, the lack of meal service has become the norm, not the exception on U.S. domestic flights. That said, if you really feel the need to eat on your (short) flight, you can always ask for one of the snack boxes that are normally sold in Y class (you won't have to pay for it in F class). I've done it on several occasions in F class when the food options are either non existent or not to my liking.

Here's a breakout of the available snackboxes: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51257,00.html

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Orion737

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:35 pm

I once bought a snackbox, it had a freezing cold, almost ice solid processed cheese sandwich, some crackers, raisins and a packet of salt laden chips. utter rubbish, junk snacks.

Ansett767
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 4):

Where have you been? I don't know of ANY carrier in the US that will serve meals on a flight under 3 hrs.

Lol dude, settle. Its not like I fly domestically in the US often - let alone in F.

This forum is for information for people who don't know (ME) from people who can advise/provide info (YOU GUYS)

AirAmericaC46

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:16 pm

And so what US domestic airlines currently serve meals (fork and knife) under 3 hours flight time?

I can say AA-----recently I took AA MD80 ORD-PHL flight time 2.5 hrs evening flight with dinner in first class.

Any other?

mauiman31

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Yeah, AA is a meal (during meal times) over two hours flight time in F. I got lunch and breakfast recently - dfw-tus-dfw. Which is just over the 2 hr. threshold. UA matches that criteria. You will get meals in F on both those segments mentioned. Not sure what they are like. I haven't flown UA for awhile.

Transpac787

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 1):
Both legs you listed will have no meal service. Snacks and free booze most definately.

Incorrect.

UA has meal service on almost every LAX-DEN flight except for the late flight and the off-meal hours flights.

You know, you have a serious chip in your shoulder for US carrier cabin service, and it is really getting tiresome. How many times do you constantly bitch about it in every thread??? The best/worst part is, you are DEAD WRONG.

On United, even on flights as short as LAX-DEN, there will be a full meal service. Appetizer, salad & bread, entree, and dessert. And no, it is not a snackbox. The meals are hot, there is a lot of food, and it is good.

No, United has not cut F-class meals. Meals are served in F on all flights over two hours, and on all hub-to-hub routes.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 4):

AA does on flights even as short as 1.5 hours. I've been on DFW-COS and DFW-DEN countless times and both of those have full hot meal services.

Quoting SoBe (Reply 6):
UA serves meals in F on flights greater than 2 hours.

Finally we have a winning response!! Big grin

Yes, it is definitely boring by now.

You know, if you go on a tirade, you might consider actually having your facts straight. Otherwise, your argument falls flat on its face.......

Quoting SoBe (Reply 8):
Salad, Bread, Entree, Dessert.

Ding ding ding...... we have a winner again.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 11):
I once bought a snackbox, it had a freezing cold, almost ice solid processed cheese sandwich, some crackers, raisins and a packet of salt laden chips. utter rubbish, junk snacks.

I'm glad you told us.

What does this pointless anecdote have to do with UA domestic first class??  Yeah sure

Quoting AirAmericaC46 (Reply 13):
I can say AA-----recently I took AA MD80 ORD-PHL flight time 2.5 hrs evening flight with dinner in first class.

Any other?

AA, as I said just above, serves meals on flights as short as 1.5 hours. They say their bar is 2 or 3 hours (I forget which), but AA does serve food on fairly short flights, including DFW-COS which is only 1.5 hrs.

Super80DFW

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm

It seems like lately, AA has been bumping up their cabin services. I don't know about UA, because I flown with UA in about 3 years. I was on a OKC-DEN flight in Y, we got a drink and a bag of some Snack Mix. It was on a 737, and I heard someone in First ask for a Snack Box and she handed him one. Does UA carry Snackboxes on all flights, but doesn't sell them?
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

Ansett767
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
Do I get access to the business/first lounges in US domestic first/?

Does it make a difference that Ive come off air NZ International flight in J class? Is their a NZ intl arrivals lounge in LAX or does this perhaps give me access to UA's lounge there- or not?

fbgdavidson

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:21 am

On ORD-PDX last month I got hot soup, bread, a salad and some cookies. United & US First Class: RIC-PDX-RIC (w/pics&vid) (by Fbgdavidson Jan 15 2008 in Trip Reports)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

LX64A332

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:30 am

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 17):
Does it make a difference that Ive come off air NZ International flight in J class? Is their a NZ intl arrivals lounge in LAX or does this perhaps give me access to UA's lounge there- or not?

If you are travelling on the same day on an International itenrary in C or F with any Star Alliance carrier, it entittles you acces to the UA RCC lounge, but be sure to keep your NZ C class boarding card.

This only works if you are traveling onward with UA on the same day of your NZ arrival.

Hope that makes sense!

LX64A332

BTW, can anyone help me out with a question I recently started? Best F Seat On AA MD-80 (by LX64A332 Feb 17 2008 in Aviation Polls & Prefs)
SWISS remains Swiss. With Lufthansa. :D