Super80DFW
Topic Author

Purdue University Aviation Program

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:04 pm

I have just received a brochure in the mail from the Admission's Office at Purdue University inviting me to a University Open House. I have never signed up at any college fair for anything with Purdue University. I think they may have looked at my Test Scores. Doe Purdue University have a good Aviation Program? Thanks!
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

LOT767-300ER

RE: Purdue University Aviation Program

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm

What test scores? Youre 13-15 and you havent even taken any ACT or SAT.

Why dont you just give them your IS-F as a token of appreciation to admissions? Might not be enough, so throw in the Lexus "SC460"

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:14 pm

I've taken the PSAT, and they could have looked at my School Standardized Tests.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

bagpiper

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 2):
I've taken the PSAT

thats what did it, I bet.

AirTranTUS

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 1):
Youre 13-15 and you havent even taken any ACT or SAT.

I took the ACT and SAT when I was 15. Think, then post.
I love ASO!

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 4):
I took the ACT and SAT when I was 15. Think, then post.

I'm 15, and I will be taking the real SAT here soon, so I will see if I get anymore College Brochures after I take it.

AirTranTUS

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 5):
I'm 15, and I will be taking the real SAT here soon, so I will see if I get anymore College Brochures after I take it.

You will. And they will not stop coming. But someone invented a special filing cabinet for things like that.

I love ASO!

bhmbaglock

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Since nobody bothered to answer the most important question regarding the quality of Purdue's program, the answer is that it's one of the best. They're also a top notch engineering school.

If you can pull off a free ride to a school like this, you'll do well and your parents will be very happy as well.

A lot of colleges recruit for summer programs using the PSAT. It lets them get an early look at potential students and hopefully influences the decision on which school to attend for the best prospects.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 6):

Well, I'm really thinking about college right now, so when I get them, I fill them all out and send them back. I haven't got any from Purdue yet, and was wondering if they have a good program.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 7):

Thank You so much! I'm always looking into colleges and looking for possible scholarships.

BTW, I've heard some people say the PSAT is just as hard as the SAT. I've also heard some say it is WAAAY easier than the SAT. Does anyone here have an opinion?

Also, I'm already receiving 4 college credit hours for my Engineering Class.

bagpiper

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:30 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 9):
BTW, I've heard some people say the PSAT is just as hard as the SAT. I've also heard some say it is WAAAY easier than the SAT. Does anyone here have an opinion?

Not waaaaay easier, but it is easier, and not nearly as long, which in and of itself makes it easier in some ways.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 10):
Not waaaaay easier, but it is easier, and not nearly as long, which in and of itself makes it easier in some ways.

I hate taking TAKS Tests for 2.5 hours in March. I'm going to be sooo... bored during the 4-5 hours of the SAT and ACT!

DC10extender

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:11 pm

The thrill of hearing from colleges will wear off fast. Trust me, you will begin to hate it.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

fxramper

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:12 pm

You gonna drive the Ferrari up there to visit?

Yeah sure

Where is that 'smells like bs' pic when I need it.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 13):
You gonna drive the Ferrari up there to visit?

No, I can't get off from school to go. If they did one in the summer, I would maybe fly up to Michigan to see my Uncle and then go down to Purdue, but there isn't any summer dates.

scrubbsywg

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Also, I'm already receiving 4 college credit hours for my Engineering Class.

say what?

What are you learning in grade 9 that should be used as a college credit? Please please please tell me it is not credit towards an engineering class!

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 15):

I will ask my teacher tomorrow. I'm not quite sure. If it is only towards Engineering, I will get a degree in Engineering. If it isn't, I will get it in something else. I'm in the class because it is what interests me, and it just so happens I can receive college credit for it. I can also take more classes in future years and get more credits. He said we can get college credit in classes like Bio-tech Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Digital Graphics, Digital Electronics, Principles of Engineering, IIRC. I'm going to take most of those and get lots of credits.

Boeing4ever

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 7):
Since nobody bothered to answer the most important question regarding the quality of Purdue's program, the answer is that it's one of the best. They're also a top notch engineering school.

If you can pull off a free ride to a school like this, you'll do well and your parents will be very happy as well.

Damn straight! Purdue AAE - Boiler Up!

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 16):
I will ask my teacher tomorrow. I'm not quite sure. If it is only towards Engineering, I will get a degree in Engineering. If it isn't, I will get it in something else. I'm in the class because it is what interests me, and it just so happens I can receive college credit for it. I can also take more classes in future years and get more credits. He said we can get college credit in classes like Bio-tech Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Digital Graphics, Digital Electronics, Principles of Engineering, IIRC. I'm going to take most of those and get lots of credits.

Do you have a web link to your High School that I can look at?

You know kid, here's a good piece of advice about Purdue and any other distinguished engineering program...don't let your HS performance give you an ego. I was a HS A student, so were ALL of my current engineering classmates. Before you move into an engineering discipline like say Biomedical, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical & Computer, Material Science, or Aeronautical/Astronautical, you have to survive "Freshman Engineering". At Purdue, that program is jam packed with A+ HS whizz kids who think they can all be rocket scientists...by the end of the first fall semester though, Purdue suddenly has a lot more students in the School of Management than it did in August. And it does not get easier for those who remain.

That said, the key to beating Freshman Engineering...is mental. Most people who CODO (Change Of Degree Option) out of engineering during the first year get freaked out by the work load and the cold hard fact that you are no longer spoon fed like in HS. Nevertheless, Purdue Freshman Engineering has been quoted once as having a dropout rate higher than the USMC.  Smile At least you could be a jarhead.

Good luck kid. And leave the Lexus at home. Seriously, this is a college town, with college drivers...dare I say it, lots of Asian College drivers too. Get a beater or something.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:23 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 18):
You know kid, here's a good piece of advice about Purdue and any other distinguished engineering program...don't let your HS performance give you an ego.

Absolutely! I would never compare HS to College. But, I will take all of the College Credit I can get in HS. Besides, i want to get into the Aviation Program anyway.

bhmbaglock

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 18):
You know kid, here's a good piece of advice about Purdue and any other distinguished engineering program...don't let your HS performance give you an ego. I was a HS A student, so were ALL of my current engineering classmates. Before you move into an engineering discipline like say Biomedical, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical & Computer, Material Science, or Aeronautical/Astronautical, you have to survive "Freshman Engineering". At Purdue, that program is jam packed with A+ HS whizz kids who think they can all be rocket scientists...by the end of the first fall semester though, Purdue suddenly has a lot more students in the School of Management than it did in August. And it does not get easier for those who remain.

You just described RPI freshman year perfectly as well.
Where are all of my respected members going?

scrubbsywg

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:15 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 20):

i think he described a large majority of engineering freshmen everywhere.

By the way, i'm still amazed that you could get university engineering credits while still a freshman in college. Are these courses at least taught by university professors? Are you in a really over achiever high school program?

Boeing4ever

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 19):

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 20):
i think he described a large majority of engineering freshmen everywhere.

Well, I did say Purdue and any other distinguished engineering program out there.  Smile Glad I got them all then. Shows you have no place to run for an easy ride.

Boeing4ever

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 20):
By the way, i'm still amazed that you could get university engineering credits while still a freshman in college.

I got university engineering credit while being a college freshman. Now a HS freshman...that's interesting.  Wink

BTW, Super, I asked for a weblink to your HS. Do you have one? I'd be interested to see what your school is all about what with it offering some engineering courses and all.

Mir

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

To answer the original question, Purdue is in the top three aviation schools in the country, along with ERAU and UND. You can put them in any order you want, but if you go to one of those, you can be confident that you're getting a top-notch aviation education. Where you see the big differences between the schools is outside of the aviation programs.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

FriendlySkies

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:39 pm

I've been in college for 3 years and I still get brochures. It doesn't really mean anything...but Purdue is a good school, and if you decide not to go into aviation, there's a lot more you could do there (unlike ERAU).

scrubbsywg

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 22):
I got university engineering credit while being a college freshman. Now a HS freshman...that's interesting.

yeah. oops. my mistake, i obviously meant high school

Still waiting to hear what kind of credits a kid in grade 9 gets for university. What ever happened to getting credits for high school in high school? I can maybe understand getting one or two credits for some podunk arts course in your final year of high school, or a intro calculus class, but i don't you should be able to get engineering credits in grade 9. Save it for university.

futureualpilot

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:41 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Thread starter):
Doe Purdue University have a good Aviation Program?

Yes, one of the best in the country. (I may be a bit biased). What would you be looking to major in, if you went into the AvTech program?

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Purdue is in the top three aviation schools in the country, along with ERAU and UND.

Aw, c'mon man! Don't lump us in with the Riddle rats!  silly 
Life is better when you surf.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:44 am

Well, I'm not sure about Aviation because if something happpened (hypothetical, you never know) and I could do what I wanted to, it wouldn't help me to have a degree in something I couldn't do. I'm thinking about Real Estate! I love the thought of building homes and then selling them for a HUGE profit. I would start a home builder. I'm very passionate about Aviaton though. I REALLY want to be a pilot. I may go into the Air Force and become a pilot for them, then go fly for WN or AA.

futureualpilot

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:36 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 27):
'm not sure about Aviation because if something happpened (hypothetical, you never know) and I could do what I wanted to, it wouldn't help me to have a degree in something I couldn't do.

We offer more than flying in the AvTech program. we also do Airline and Airport Management, as well as AOT, which is the mechanic side of the world. There is also our ATC controller program, so you could stay around aviation should the unthinkable happen.

ebs757

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:21 am

Im kinda in the same boat as the thread starter. As a sophomore in HS and wanting to become a commercial pilot I've kinda looked into these schools but not much. I'm not going to lie. I'm a pretty avg student 3.0 gpa. No honors class's. What are the requirements like for UND ERU and Purdue?
Viva la Vida

futureualpilot

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 29):
I'm a pretty avg student 3.0 gpa. No honors class's. What are the requirements like for UND ERU and Purdue

I can't speak for the others, but I didn't graduate h.s. with much higher than a 3.2 or 3.3 and I got into Purdue just fine. The competitive GPA for the flight program is going to be a bit higher, but you can still fly out of the FBO on the field and go to school for your degree.

Cory6188

Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:46 am

Also, I'm already receiving 4 college credit hours for my Engineering Class

I'm admittedly pretty surprised at this. In my high school, the only thing we could ever get credit for were AP classes, and even then, colleges are pretty particular about what they will and won't accept. At Dartmouth, for example, you have to get a 5 in order to get credit, and it's only for a limited number of subjects. Beyond that, you don't get anything for what you did while in high school. I'm sure that most other schools are similar, although a few will take 4's and 5's on AP tests for credit.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:43 am

In-State Tuition is a big factor also. I might just decide to stay here in Texas. I just don't know.

NWASkyking

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:01 am

Forget purdue...if you want the best aviation school in the world, head to The University of North Dakota. It may be a boring city, but its the best out there!
Safe

flymia

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:37 am

Well I visited Purdue two years ago to look at their aviation program I was very impressed. They have their own airport for the Pilot and aviation management programs which are great and IMO the best in the US and really one of the best aviation programs any college in the world has to offer. Its a good school. I was accepted into the aviation program but decided to pursue another degree. Also Purdue is a great school for engineering so if that is something you are interested than Purdue does have one of the best engineering programs in the US also. Really your not even 16 yet you dont need to think much about college just get good grades and when Junior year of high school comes around than you should start thinking about college for now just enjoy high school!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)