nolanative

How Do I Get A Job At Delta Corporate?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 am

Do you have to know someone to get in?? Anyone have any ideas into this? Would love to get in at the corporate level, and have applied for several jobs, but I'm sure I get lost in the 1000s of other applicants.  Sad

Newark777

RE: How Do I Get A Job At Delta Corporate?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:43 am

Quoting Nolanative (Thread starter):
Do you have to know someone to get in?? Anyone have any ideas into this? Would love to get in at the corporate level, and have applied for several jobs, but I'm sure I get lost in the 1000s of other applicants.

What degree do you have? Prior experience? Going back to get and MBA if you don't have one would help.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

nolanative

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:46 am

Bachelor's - Business Mgt...no airline experience.

Newark777

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting Nolanative (Reply 2):
Bachelor's - Business Mgt...no airline experience.

Looks like Delta has a completely online application process, and I wouldn't imagine they require airline experience, although Delta employees would give you a more detailed explanation. It's probably not the best time to hope to get hired by an airline, though, especially one like DL that's going through merger negotiations.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

breaker1011

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 am

Probably by waiting a couple of years.

Seriously, I wouldn't call an HQ job in ATL a good career prospect at this point. Not because it's a bad airline (it's my fav) but because bad economy + merger talk = low likelihood of an external being considered, and probably lower likelihood of stability for a while if successful.
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

NW748i

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:57 am

What exactly are you looking to do?
Hail! to the victors valiant, Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes, Hail! Hail! to Michigan the leaders and best! Go Blue!

Dalmd88

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:14 pm

There are not many job openings right now. Most divisions are in a hold pattern until the merger mess is sorted out. Just keep checking the online postings and apply for anything that you are interested in. I don't think knowing somebody helps much. It used to but times have changed. I was never a fan of the good ole boy network crap, but I've seen some moves by HR that make you wonder how they weed out the 'undesirables'.

flynavy

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Quoting Nolanative (Thread starter):

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 6):

Delta is currently under a hiring freeze on all non-customer service-related positions. We are only hiring pilots, flight attendants, and ground staff that directly interact with customers.

Edit: I should also say that we ARE hiring in positions related to new routes as well (i.e. jobs in Shanghai, etc.).

[Edited 2008-03-04 06:28:25]
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Alitalia744

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Your best bet is to wait this 'wave' out. Until DL knows the course, they aren't hiring non-essential (Pilots/FAs, etc) as others have said.

Others are in your boat too  Smile
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

flyingcat

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:31 pm

Try taking a position at a small/medium carrier to gather the necessary airline experience.

After at least a year you can again try. You'll be amazed over time how people move around and might already be at Delta. When you want to move to DL or another larger carrier you can have a leg up.

Managers base their decisons on hiring from other carriers based on the caliber of talent they have already hired from XX airline.

burnsie28

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:47 pm

I just visited Delta, and you obviously have to start at the bottom, they told us that most jobs at Delta are internal hires, so once you get your foot in the door you can move up to other positions. Check out Delta's website for current job openings.

NwAflyer07

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 10):
I just visited Delta, and you obviously have to start at the bottom, they told us that most jobs at Delta are internal hires, so once you get your foot in the door you can move up to other positions. Check out Delta's website for current job openings.

Absolutly. I suggest you start at the bottom, maybe work on a MBA, and work your way up. Thats what i'm doing at NW right now. Ramper... maybe a crew chief in a year or so.. throughout college, then move up to ramp manager, ops manager, station manager, etc... and hopefully ill be involved in executive management a few decades from now. That is... if i decide not to be a pilot. Starting at the bottom is the best way to go because it not only gives u experience u need to be involved in management, but you'l probably have a lot more respect once you get to the "top".

EA CO AS

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:32 pm

Quoting NwAflyer07 (Reply 11):
Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 10):

Absolutly. I suggest you start at the bottom, maybe work on a MBA, and work your way up.

checkmark 

That's how I got into management at my company. You start at the bottom and work your way up, being willing to take on more responsibility as you progress.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

baw716

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:26 pm

I've tried and with my 30 years of qualifications, it's damn hard to get an interview. My guess is that, like anything else, you have to have someone to "sponsor" you through the HR process (although I've been told that this is no longer done, I believe that about as much as Delta will fly to the moon).

The one thing I would suggest is to continue trying, but be strategic in your applications. If you bombard them with applications, that will hurt you...and this one I have on authority from someone in HR.

Good luck

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

Zone1

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 pm

I've applied to Delta and United for revenue management jobs (I have an engineering degree) and never heard back from either one. Right after I applied, I heard Delta was under a hiring freeze for non customer facing jobs, as Flynavy said. Revenue management would be cool for me because it is fairly quantitative and they want people who completed quantitative degrees. I looked at applying at Starwood for revenue management, but it seems like revenue management in the hotel business is much different than in the airline business.
/// U N I T E D

EXAAUADL

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Southwest has lots of openings on the web site