manu

Poor Service In EK Compared To AC?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I recently had the opportunity to fly EK from YYZ-DXB return and was less than impressed by this hyped airline. As a true Canadian, I usually poke fun at AC, but I would say that their service product exceeds EK's. EK's 777 has a 3-4-3 economy layout where as AC has 3-3-3 in economy. EK's seats are 31 inch seat pitch where AC does 32 most of the time. EK's IFE was great (ICE), but really would rather have the extra inch in front of me AND beside me. Carry-on baggage allowance for EK was one item only, where as AC is one item plus one personal item.

The duty free bottle I purchased at DXB was required to be gate-checked into the cargo hold. I've never had this before and EK said it was because of "Canadian Law". When asked why I have to check the duty free bottle the person helping said she didn't know, it was the law. I travel frequently and didn't do this before, so I asked for clarification from her manager (in those words) and the person went to the front and asked someone, who turned around and yelled at me to "just do it" from across the gate (10-15m away). Appalled I gestured the individual to come to me to discuss this and he immediately went off the handle saying "don't you tell me to come here". I then demanded he come before discussing this and told him how I thought his handling of this situation was very poor. I then calmly asked my original question. He said it was a new policy for Canadian destinations, in the last 2 weeks.

For an airline with all this hype about being such great service etc, I found the product to be less than stellar. You get more "stuff", but the basics (namely room on the aircraft) seem to be skimped. Not to mention that the DXB ground staff I had to deal with did not understand anything about good, polite customer service.

But my question still stands--for Canadian destinations, do bottles need checking from duty free? Is EK's service really poor in economy like I've experienced? Is the 3-4-3 standard in the 777 series in other international long-distance airlines?

Please share your thoughts on the bottle thing, plus the overall product for EK.

HT

RE: Poor Service In EK Compared To AC?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Quoting Manu (Thread starter):
Is the 3-4-3 standard in the 777 series in other international long-distance airlines?

Nope, 9-abreast is the industry norm (either 3-3-3 or 2-5-2) in Europe, Asia and The Americas.

In addition to this, EK has a 7-abreast seating in Business Class which is below standards IMO, although quite a number of carriers have it.

Is EK's service really poor in economy like I've experienced?

It's been too long since my hands-on experience with them (1997).

But my question still stands--for Canadian destinations, do bottles need checking from duty free?

No idea, but would not make big sense, as it is purchased in a secure area. But not everything in this respect is rational anymore ...
At least in AMS two days ago it was advertised that liquids (liquor etc.) purchased past security would be sealed in a bag and that one could take it aboard to ANY destination.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

sk601

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
9-abreast is the industry norm

KLM's newest B777-300 also has 3-4-3 m-class seating with 31" (and 2-3-2 in c-class)

Wow!  crowded   crowded   crowded 

HT

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting SK601 (Reply 2):
KLM's newest B777-300 also has 3-4-3 m-class seating with 31"

that fact slipped my mind (and isn't listed on Seatguru yet).

Quoting SK601 (Reply 2):
(and 2-3-2 in c-class)

That I was aware of (same as KL's B772).
Flying longhaul with KL in Business Class really is a challenge by now if one (like me) does not want to end up in a cramped cabin. One can only hope that a flight that is scheduled to be operated by A332 does not get substituted by B773 or B744 (while its uppper deck is very well okay, the main deck is not).
-HT.
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

BigTom

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:57 pm

I travel frequently and didn't do this before, so I asked for clarification from her manager (in those words) and the person went to the front and asked someone, who turned around and yelled at me to "just do it" from across the gate (10-15m away). Appalled I gestured the individual to come to me to discuss this and he immediately went off the handle saying "don't you tell me to come here". I then demanded he come before discussing this and told him how I thought his handling of this situation was very poor. I then calmly asked my original question. He said it was a new policy for Canadian destinations, in the last 2 weeks.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with EK and at DXB. EK is very inconsistent as far as service goes. Regarding your treatment by ground staff in DXB, it generally varies a lot according to your ethnic background, you will generally get yelled at and behaved rudely to if you are South Asian/African and in general get better treatment if you are 'white'. Hope you have a better experience next time around.

Cheers

manu

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:34 am

Quoting BigTom (Reply 4):
it generally varies a lot according to your ethnic background, you will generally get yelled at and behaved rudely to if you are South Asian/African and in general get better treatment if you are 'white'. Hope you have a better experience next time around.

That's unfortunate. I was yelled at and am Irish/English decent--red hair and all. Given I live in Canada, I couldn't be more "white" as it is winter now! It is really sad that an airline's reputation is that what your ethnic background is will make or break the service for you. You're not the only one I've heard from about this.

I'll avoid EK now that I've experienced its wonderful service. While LH's service amenities aren't great on the 744, I at least get treated well (and often spoken to in German despite not knowing a word).

Thanks for the feedback from all of you. Now I just want to learn why the duty free check-in bottle thing was a mistake or what? I fly to LAX and LAS and plan on getting something, so will see on my return with AC to YYZ in a week and a half.

soups

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:28 am

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with EK and at DXB. EK is very inconsistent as far as service goes. Regarding your treatment by ground staff in DXB, it generally varies a lot according to your ethnic background

This is how it works on 'arab' airlines
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

HT

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting Manu (Reply 5):
While LH's service amenities aren't great on the 744, I at least get treated well (and often spoken to in German despite not knowing a word).

Carry a small Canadian Flag as sticker / pin and you more likely will be adressed in Englsih language ...

Quoting Manu (Reply 5):
Now I just want to learn why the duty free check-in bottle thing was a mistake or what? I fly to LAX and LAS and plan on getting something, so will see on my return with AC to YYZ in a week and a half.

Keep us updated, please.
-HT

ZKSUJ

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 am

you will generally get yelled at and behaved rudely to if you are South Asian/African and in general get better treatment if you are 'white'. Hope you have a better experience next time around.

Its not just EK. My relatives have had similar experiences on a certain 5 Star Asian Airline. Also in this case Males get better treatment than Females. I would love to say it's a once off, but it has happened more than once

BigTom

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:52 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 8):

Sad but true, I have had bad experiences personally with at least one East Asian carrier and heard of similar cases in others too. EK is not the only one guilty of this by any means.

Cheers

Elite

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Quoting Manu (Reply 5):
It is really sad that an airline's reputation is that what your ethnic background is will make or break the service for you.

Agreed. After reading this topic, I don't want to take EK anymore.