AV8AJET
Topic Author

ATL-LHR DL's Meal Service

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:42 pm

This flight leaves ATL at 10:30PM, does DL still offer dinner service on this flight being that it leaves late at night? The reason I ask is that Delta.com shows this as a breakfast flight for both BizElite and Coach. Is there no dinner or is it a light snack then breakfast later on? Has anyone used this flight?
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

baw716

RE: ATL-LHR DL's Meal Service

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:53 pm

There is always one "heavy" meal and one "light" meal on a transatlantic flight, no matter what time it departs. What the meal will consist of will be predicated on time of day. I would expect a late night flight to offer a lighter first meal and a slightly heavier breakfast, to allow people to sleep during the flight and get a good start during the day. It's just a matter of flipping the heavy meal to the later portion of the flight. While this generally means less food, I would expect the service to be exactly the same as any other BizElite flight. In Coach, same thing...instead of a hot first meal, there would likely be a sandwich service and a heavier breakfast.

Of course I am just guessing...best to ask the DL folks on this forum...they are the ones who know.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

twolz2rn

Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Everytime I have taken AF on a late departure, usually after 10:45pm (from JFK and OUA), we have gotten served a regular dinner and then the light breakfast in the morning. I have never understood that. I would much rather have a big breakfast.

LHR777

Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Big dinner = more carbs = people sleep. Simple!

nwa757boy

Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:01 pm

I know for NW last summer when DTW had the 2310 departure to FRA the pre-meal beverage service was combined with the meal service because of the late departure time. However duty free wasn't offered.

LH4116

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:22 pm

On SAS transatlantic flights from Stockholm, do they serve a breakfast or a lunch? The flight departs around 9-10am from ARN?
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

AFKLMLHLX

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:24 pm

On ALL transatlantic flights besides the AF and BA day flights, the dinner will always be the main meal. I have always flown on late transatlantic flights with scheduled departures after 10 (Okay LX was 9 :15 but delayed in the usual JFK departure traffic). It has just developed where dinner is always the main meal on a flight leaving at night. It doesn't matter if it leaves at 4 PM or 10:30PM, there will only be a small breakfast. Every airline gives you different options in portion and meals, but night transatlantic flights are a dinner service. Sometimes the websites mess up and don't give you the exact service because they only list one meal. Usually it always the first meal of service, that being dinner on your flight, but just because it says that, does not mean it is true. You can notice what meals you get by looking on this site's trip reports, or go onto airlinemeals.net or I guess google or flyertalk.

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 5):
On SAS transatlantic flights from Stockholm, do they serve a breakfast or a lunch? The flight departs around 9-10am from ARN?

On all transatlantic flights back to the states, you will get a lunch service. In terms of airline meals, breakfast is the one meal where if it doesn't fit exactly, they won't serve it unless if is a really long flight like NYC-HKG where they serve breakfast prior to landing because it is that time at home which I don't agree with, but they do. Lunch and dinner meals on long flights are the same thing. There is really no difference in pure quantity. Of course this varies by airline and by what you concider more filling or what the airline gives you. But, they really will never serve breakfast on a flight back from Europe as they can't give the same service in F and C (or whatever you want to call Business) because it cannot take the same form as lunch or dinner. It just doesn't work for an F service on a TATL flight as breakfast is well breakfast. Also, the ARN-EWR, SEA, BOS, ORD (or destinations like those I forget exactly all of their N American destinations), are all pretty long flights, but not long enough where they would serve you a meal that doesn't correspond with your destination and doesn't offer the same foods which they want for their service.

Viscount724

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:45 am

On flights leaving that late I prefer to eat before boarding the flight and skip the meal service. Allows more time to sleep. In my experience, at least in business class, many airlines expedite the meal service on flights leaving that late since many passengers either have already eaten or want to get the meal service over as fast as possible so they can get some sleep.

HT

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
On flights leaving that late I prefer to eat before boarding the flight and skip the meal service. Allows more time to sleep.

I fully agree. By the time your flight has reached cruise level that food already is halfway digested meaning that you will not go to bed with a full belly. Optionally add some alcohol to get sleepy and off you go (I do not use any sleeping pills).

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
In my experience, at least in business class, many airlines expedite the meal service on flights leaving that late since many passengers either have already eaten or want to get the meal service over as fast as possible so they can get some sleep.

But LX out of LAX is no such airline. Their food service in Business Class is rather slow despite the relatively late departure. However they offer the option of a quick meal where you get your (small) main course at the same time as the starter (I must have looked too hungry or took too long to decide between the two meals offered as "quick meal" as the F/A mentioned that I also could get both, which I then did ...).

Also DL and AF from ATL to CDG on late departures nowhere near expediated the food service, both of which I subsequently denied and preferred to sleep instead (again Business Class).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

skord

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:12 am

LH4116 I have flown ARN_ORD several times and its always a lunch service, and very nice it is too!!! Especially in Business.