skord

What To Expect On AA!

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:36 am

Hi all!

I am booked to fly AA BOS-SJU-STT, then 4 days later STT-SJU-MIA-TPA ! Im really looking forward to my flights, but i have read so many negative reviews about AA, their reliability, and Cabin crew service. What is everyones opinion on AA regarding their service? Im flying on one of their A-300s SJU-MIA and i have read shocking reports on their reliability! So.... your views on AA, and their A300s (BOS-SJU B-757, any coments or sugestions!!!)

TimePilot

RE: What To Expect On AA!

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 am

Usually over the summer I fly ORD > BOS > ORD on a Super 80 with AA. My experience with them hasn't been remarkable. I've had a few flights where the FAs were rather unfriendly and didn't seem to want to be there. I had one flight that left 2 hours late, but that was because the weather over BOS was terrible, and not AAs fault. They are usually quite on time.

I flew AA when they did NGO > ORD a few years back with 777s, but alas they claimed the route was unprofitable and stopped it. Too bad, since it was more convenient for me (got to skip "#$% NRT) and quite a nice flight (the crew was quite nice.)

All in all I rate them average. There are people here who love them though, so I'll shut up and let them talk  Smile

joka

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi Skord, I have had many flights on AA from BOS - LHR and they have always been good. I'm sure international flights are more on time than domestic. Only domestic delays I have had are in MIA due to Tstorms and JFK - BOS due to a noreaster. FA's are about 90% good, but it's that bad 10% that will stick with you  Sad The 777's from BOS - LHR are always a treat and it's hard to get onto a long haul flight on any others now. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

tommy767

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:40 am

I generally have pretty good luck with AA. I've had flights where I've said to myself "I'm switching, this sucks" but that hasn't happened for a while and the feeling is usually temporary. To give you an example of flying with AA, two days ago I flew LAX-IAD on a 738 exit row. Flight attendents (not sure if they were LAX or DCA based) had a great sense or humor and were attentive and nice. Video system did not work, but it's rare thing and it was a redeye so I could have cared less. I rarely experience crabby crews on AA. the LAX/DFW/DCA/ORD are generally very nice and cheery.

What to expect: Beverage service, basic IFE, good crews, and BOB. Unless you somehow get upgraded, you'll experience run of the mill flights.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

skord

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Thank you all for your imput... much appreciated! I also have 2 Delta flights booked on the same holiday so it will be interesting to compare.  scratchchin 

exFATboy

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:13 am

AA can be a little hit-or-miss in terms of the "ground" experience - I've had smooth-as-silk check-ins (LGA), and some that took literally an hour (MCO). Same at the other end of the flight - bags in MCO came off fast, LGA can be an absolute farce, with bags from planes that landed a half-hour after mine coming off first (on more than one occasion.) The MIA hub can be something of a riot zone, but it's not a big deal, although I will admit it's not the prettiest airport in the world. I've always had good experiences with AA at TPA.

My experience with AA has always been above-average when something's gone wrong, though - they've been proactive in calling me about flight changes and if you're a little flexible, they'll be flexible back. For example, a couple of years ago, I was flying PLS-MIA-LGA when the Northeast got hit by a major storm. Rather than be stuck in MIA, I asked them if I could go to TPA (where I have family), stay the night, then go on the next day. They rebooked me, didn't charge me anything, and I even got the FF miles for the reroute (MIA-TPA, then TPA-DFW-JFK.)

The in-air product is more consistent IMO, service is good but not spectacular. Most FAs are very good. IFE is extremely limited to non-existent on the MadDogs, but I usually bring my own anyway.

UltimateDelta

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:59 am

I flew them back in 1999, and as I recall it was pretty average. Nothing special. I wouldn't really expect much more than that.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

skord

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:45 am

I assume that you expect my DL flights to be a lot better!  Wink We did take DL last year SFO-ATL-TPA and in all fairness.... they were Ok! Thier BOB seemed to be quite good but as it was a 22.30 dep i took food on board with me as i didnt know what to expect.
Seats were quite good (i dont sleep but my partner does) and the entertainment screens worked! What i DID like was the fact i wasnt ordered to close my window blind... i hate that! and... 2 drinks rounds! 10/10  bigthumbsup 

deltairlines

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:07 am

I've always had good experiences on AA. Wish I could fly them more but for many of my routes, they are a bit inconvenient (not really that interested in flying GSO-MIA-BOS). Thus, I'm a bit limited in my AA experiences (average 1-2 flights on them a year) but I do enjoy them.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:11 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 5):
My experience with AA has always been above-average when something's gone wrong, though - they've been proactive in calling me about flight changes and if you're a little flexible, they'll be flexible back.

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 5):
The in-air product is more consistent IMO, service is good but not spectacular. Most FAs are very good. IFE is extremely limited to non-existent on the MadDogs, but I usually bring my own anyway.

checkmark  Now that I live in STL, I fly AA nearly exclusively (not necessarily by choice), and both of these observations are spot-on.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

skord

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:35 am

We not taking a MadDog on this AA trip, but one of our DL flights is an MD88! Being from Europe im always excited to travel US domestic, its such a completely different experience to what we get in the UK, and Europe in general! Your Airports are AMAZING! Clean, organised, spacious... courteous staff (sometimes  Wow! ) Good information screens..........WINDOWS!!! To name but a few things!
What im looking forward to most is ATR-72 STT-SJU, then the A-300 SJU-MIA

Closely followed by the CRJ-100 Comair Cincinnati-EWR a week later!  Big grin  Big grin

b6fll

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:14 am

As long as your not flying a MD-80 you should be ok!

skord

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 am

Will i die on an MD-80???  Big grin

co777er

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 am

Quoting SKORD (Reply 12):
Will i die on an MD-80??? Big grin

Hope not, with all the Md-80 groundings in the last two weeks you'd think they would be in optimal condition!

skord

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:24 am

CO777ER!!!!

Ur funny!!!  Big grin How do i bring quotes from others to my next cost??