Do You Buy Things From The BOB Menu?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:05 pm

The head lines says it all: Do you tend to buy things from the BOB menu??

I have just once flown on a LCC. And that time I bought just a coke. ( It was just a short hope, so no need to buy anything more)

NWADC9

RE: Do You Buy Things From The BOB Menu?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Out of all the airlines I've flown, only two airlines had stuff for purchase-Northwest and Frontier. On Northwest, it was food. Frontier, DirecTV. Didn't buy anything on the NW flight, as pretzels and apple juice was sufficient enough for the two-hour flight, but the F9 flight from DEN-LAX, I bought DirecTV, and it was WELL worth it.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Normally I don't, but recently out of sheer boredom I have been. FlyBe charged me £3.75 for what has to be the smallest Cheese and Ham croissant the world has ever seen, £1.75 (IIRC) for a coffee the next time I flew with them, whilst yesterday I bought a coffee on Air Southwest and it cost me just £1.50.

The fact that I can remember all this crap is starting to worry me...

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

davescj

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 2):
Air Southwest and it cost me just £1.50.

Not in the US? Where is this company?

I refuse to BOB. I'd rather give the money to something in the airport, or bring food from home out of principle.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 3):
or bring food from home out of principle

Your little rule breaker  Wink

davescj

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Quoting B_B747forever (Reply 4):
Your little rule breaker  

devil  That's me!

Dave

RussianJet

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 pm

I try not to, but if I'm desperate, yes.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

LH4116

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:02 pm

A flight isn't complete without something to eat or drink, that's why i always buy items from the BOB.

I actually complained to SAS about their BOB, after months of complaining they gave me a 7€ voucher to buy food for. I bought a breakfast with the voucher on my last flight to Norway. The breakfast was literally crap, it consisted of one tiny ham& cheese sandwich (i only ate half of the sandwich because of the ham) a tiny bottle of apple juice and a half full cup of coffee.
The service was almost as bad as on FR, they charged me 2€ for an old, crushed bag of peanuts. The F/A didn't even want to bring it to me right away, instead she took the money and told me to wait for the next BOB service. It took her 20 minutes to bring me the peanuts. Since i was only on a day trip to STN, i decided to bring food from the airport on the return leg.
I'm glad that my upcoming flights this year are all on full service airlines.
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 5):
That's me!

He, he. Couldnt imagine that.

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 7):
flight isn't complete without something to eat or drink

Agree with you.

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 3):

Not in the US? Where is this company?

The other Southwest: http://www.airsouthwest.com/  Wink
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Yflyer

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Well, lately I've been mostly flying with CO, so there was no BOB.

I did once buy a sandwich on UA, but I'm more likely to either bring something from home or buy something at the airport.

bok269

Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 am

I bought a turkey wrap on AA SJU-JFK. It was pretty good. I don't know that it was worth the $5 I paid for it, but the airlines can probably use the money more than I can in this day and age.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

laca773

Thu May 01, 2008 4:57 am

All flights I have been on that have BOB available, I've never really been interested in buying those junk boxes (for the most part). My "Bring On Board" has been from Wolfgang Pucks restraunt in the airport as well as The Corner Bakery, and horribly overpriced La Salsa.

If UA offered fresh food choices on their Midcon flights (Westcoast to ORD), I'd seriously consider buying something. I've always enjoyed the meal service. It gives you something to do and until UA adds PTVs to their narrowbody fleet, they will continue to be behind and a boring flight for the most part.
I fill out their surveys all the time when I fly them and mention each and every time the need for fresh food choices and they could even make some money by offering a couple of "full meal service" BOB program. They could really upgrade the main cabin meals and catering by offering some great meals and charging appropriately for them.

I will start flying DL again frequently in the future and some of their options sound great like what Song offered. I hope they'll also offer a full "BOB meal someday on their longer domestic long hauls.

It would also be nice if B6 added some sort of fresh cold meal BOB options at least for their flights 3+ hours. Same for WN (I know this probably will never happen). It would be great if they offered them on their midcons as well as their PHX/LAS flights to the eastcoast.

ACDC8

Thu May 01, 2008 6:22 am

Whenever I fly Ryanair I'll always buy myself a coffee and sometimes a sandwich. The last time I flew domestically with AC I shelled out $12 for a Quizno's Roast Beef and Cheddar sub, pack of Pringles and a Molson. A bit pricey but it was good. I'll buy it again next time.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

babybus

Thu May 01, 2008 8:28 am

When I fly easyJet I normally have a cup of tea and a mini-packet of Pringles. It costs about 3 pounds and 20p.

My gripe is that the prices are normally odd numbers 2pounds 10p, 3pounds 75p and they always make a call for the exact change.

Why not round the figures up or down instead of expecting the passengers to have the exact change??
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

mauiman31

Thu May 01, 2008 2:42 pm

YX's many times. Their bob is the best of US carriers, imo. Bought a big cookie on AA a couple of times motivated by extreme hunger. . .  yummy 

andz

Fri May 02, 2008 8:56 am

The only airline I have flown with BOB was Nationwide which is now out of business. Their longest leg was 2 hours and I could go that long without anything.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

airtrainer

Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I usually buy a drink if I don't have one in my bag. The last time I flew FR was on an early morning flight so I bought a croissant and a hot chocolate... I also buy scratch and win cards from FR (never won anything !) and I remember I've bought a t-shirt for very cheap on a Air Asia flight.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

emalad

Fri May 02, 2008 6:38 pm

I tend to get a coffee and something light when I am flying on a lo-cost airline. Have to tell you though that the best BOB that I ever got was the breakfast on EI when I flew between Birmingham and Dublin. Can't believe what good value it was and how tasty it was!!!! Well done EI

nqyguy

Fri May 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Air Southwest seem to have the cheapest BOB stuff around. I think I picked up a tea and flapjack cake for £2.00 last month.

Coalways

Fri May 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 10):
Well, lately I've been mostly flying with CO, so there was no BOB.

I fly all the time on CO so its all free meals in all cabins, But the few times i did fly DL i had to Fork out the cash to buy a meal im surprise they didnt charge for a smile lol. Not really happy that CO is gonna charge for LiveTv at the end of the year but i guess ill fork it over for my long flights unless im in first  Smile , the charge isnt that much so i would purchase it and they still give free meals so it works out

davescj

Fri May 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting COalways (Reply 20):
Not really happy that CO is gonna charge for LiveTv at the end of the year but i guess ill fork it over for my long flights unless im in first   , the charge isnt that much so i would purchase it and they still give free meals so it works out

I was also sorry to see the live TV charge. But since I'm usually on RJ's or shorter flights, it doesn't matter. LOL

At least CO still does free food. That to me is more important than the TV. Unless there is a really good movie......

Dave

DALelite

Fri May 02, 2008 9:03 pm

on DL i deffantly would.
enyoy: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

UltimateDelta

Fri May 02, 2008 9:17 pm

On Midwest, I usually do, because their food is so good (Grilled beef and mushroom sauce!). Other than that, not usually, but I do sometimes on Delta. They aren't bad, either.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

MHG

Sat May 03, 2008 9:24 am

In Europe no airline with BOB will get my Euros unless they start charging REASONABLE prices.
I have bought drinks on TUIfly so far. But nothing other than that.

In Asia i´m not afraid to spend some money for BOB since prices generally are much lower. So i already bought food and drinks as well as "non-food" stuff from various airlines. Hot meal and softdrinks onboard Viva Macau / hot meal + softdrinks + sweatshirts + baseball caps etc. onboard Air Asia / softdrinks onboard OASIS Hongkong / softdrinks onboard Cebu Pacific / softdrinks + snacks onboard FIREFLY.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

LH4116

Sat May 03, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting MHG (Reply 24):
In Europe no airline with BOB will get my Euros unless they start charging REASONABLE prices.

I totally agree with you, BOB prices in Europe are way too high. In the US they at least give a free soda even on LCCs, now that's luxury. Here in Europe you don't even get a glass of wate for free, not even of full fare carriers. I would love to see a US BOB model in Europe.
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

iairallie

Sat May 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Yes. The sandwiches on AA are pretty good better than much of the garbage in the terminals. The stuff on DL is ok too. The hummus and veggie snack is very nice.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

eicvd

Sat May 03, 2008 10:10 pm

The only thing I would buy are the model aircraft. Didnt have any on my PMI-DUB flight last year with Futura  Sad
Regarding food & drink, ive never flown longer than 2 & a half hours so wouldnt bother wasting my money. Id rather get something when I land for a reasonable price.
COYBIB

September11

Sun May 04, 2008 3:05 am

Remember Skybus Airlines? They offered pillows, colognes, perfumes, purses, watches, face cleansing, jewelries, and many more.

I flew on Skybus and bought face cleansing as well as food on board. I think Skybus' food price was the most expensive of all.
Airliners.net of the Future

JetBlueAUS

Sun May 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Very rarely. If the flight is short enough, I won't buy anything and just wait until I get to the airport to eat while I wait for my connecting flight.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

EI320

Tue May 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Full Breakfast on Aer Lingus morning flights. Delicious, EI flights aren't the same without it.- 8 euro.

larshjort

Tue May 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Just once, I bought a coke on a Ryanair fligth, and it took +15 minutes before the coke arrived.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Bartonsayswhat

Wed May 07, 2008 1:12 am

WS has a good BOB, the sandwiches rotate around, and they are actual good size sandwiches. they give you free cookies snack mix and soft drinks, water coffee, but sandwiches and alcohol you must pay. CDN $6 for a sandwich of that calibre doesn't bother me. 5$ for a can of beer is the same price you would pay at the bar so it doesn't bother me