PawelP

Becoming A Flight Attendent

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Well i am now 17 years old, and finishing High school.

I am planning on going to a 2 year community college for aviation, then shortly after becoming a flight attendant.

Now, i really don't know if i missed anything, like can anyone help me out?

What should i do in advanced, in high school or college?

Please help me out, thank you

PawelP

RE: Becoming A Flight Attendent

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:57 pm

Oh and i recently had flown from Frankfurt Germany to Newark internation airport and i had spoken to this nice man who told me lots about the new A380 and stuff...

this was flight LH402

Note to you:

you said your on this website a lot and stuff, so if you see this message would be nice if you could respond.

[Edited 2008-04-30 16:08:25]

FlyboyOz

Thu May 01, 2008 1:16 am

A nice man...is he a pilot or cabin crew?
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

David L

Thu May 01, 2008 9:31 am

I've suggested moving this to Tech/Ops or Civil Aviation - not because I'm a grumpy git but because I think you'll get more responses from the relevant people there.  Smile

PawelP

Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 am

Cabin Crew, was not allowed to speak with the pilot =(

Icelandair

Thu May 01, 2008 11:58 am

Now where do you wanna become a F/A? Whatever someone from LH might have told you probably won't be worth too much if you wanna aply in the US.
http://www.flugbegleiter.net/

ThomasCook

Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Hey!

I worked for a travel agent for just over 2 years before applying to both Jet2 and Qantas as soon as I turned 18...this was back in September, I was offered both jobs and with out a second thought took Qantas. I have now been flying for them for 4 months as their youngest crew member and have just been promoted to a Business & First Class Attendent. In my opinion, customer service experience got me to where I am today but Qantas also apply take personality very seriously as well. You should definatley try and gain as much face-to-face customer service experience as possible in any industry as I am certain that would support your applications and help you find a flying career with the airline that you choose to go for.

Good luck!!

:D

ThomasCook
A380 Crew

smi0006

Thu May 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting ThomasCook (Reply 6):
have now been flying for them for 4 months as their youngest crew member

Haha that was me before you, youngest in the group!!

I worked for QFlink only six months out of school (I only applied for them and REX and got offers for both), and had only done suppermarkets and a teleco shop before that for six months each, nothing is impossible so long as your realistic with your head screwed on! What country were you looking at applying for? Regarless of the country another language is always helpfull (but not essential I only speak intermidiate French not that us Dash-trash would have much use for it! lol)

And congrats to ThomasCook for getting BFirst!! Top work, I cant wait till I finish uni and am back in the air!
Cheers Smi

iairallie

Sat May 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Things I'd recomend.
1. Stay in school
2. Get a degree in a NON aviation area so that you have something solid to fall back on when the airline industry is in one of it's crisis modes
3. Get some customer service experience with a part time job or doing volunteer work.
4. Get public speaking experience. It will really help you make it past that first phase of the interview process if you are confident and comfortable speaking in front of a crowd.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

mauiman31

Sun May 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Get at least a baccalaureate level university/college degree (will serve you well life long and if you ever leave aviation)
Learn a second language
Customer service experience
Do anything to advance your interpersonal skills - being comfortable speaking one and one and to groups.

First round interview they will be evaluating you heavily on how at ease you seem meeting new people, how articulate you are in conversation, answering the questions, personality, friendly factor, etc.

smi0006

Sun May 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 8):
Get a degree in a NON aviation area so that you have something solid to fall back on when the airline industry is in one of it's crisis modes

The is exceptionally important!!! Actually it may seem frustrating doing this but as much as you may think you will enjoy the job now, or in ten twenty years there is no promises, I speak to many in the industry who feel trapped there because of it, keep an open mind you may find after uni this may not be ur ideal career choice, be open to change! Also personal grooming is important, so take time to take care of yourself on the inside and out! Finally go to interviews for any jobs simply as practise watch what people say and do, and the reactions of other to peoples behaviour. The whole industry is a people game no matter what level, what job.
Remember Positivity is everything!

FlyboyOz

Mon May 05, 2008 9:05 am

Hmm...I guess, After you got a degree, you have become a cabin crew. If your airlines lost the business, will it be hard to find your field's job? It is because you don't have enough experience or you've been working for the airlines for too long (let's say: ten years). You may go back to uni to study your degree again.

Make sense?
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

iairallie

Mon May 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 11):
Hmm...I guess, After you got a degree, you have become a cabin crew. If your airlines lost the business, will it be hard to find your field's job? It is because you don't have enough experience or you've been working for the airlines for too long (let's say: ten years). You may go back to uni to study your degree again.

Make sense?

Barely

The original post came from someone in the US. For most decent jobs here you need a degree, even at the entry level. Often they do not really care what it is in. You may not have current experience in that field but you wouldn't have current experience comming straight out of school either. It is better than having nothing but a high school diploma to fall back on. Once you've earned a degree you don't have to go back and re-earn it just because some time has passed. You may need to take one or two continuing education credits in order to get current but you will never have to "study your degree again".
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

smi0006

Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 11):

Make sense?

um sorta...

The other thing to bare in mind is returning to uni is really hard after you have stoped studing its a change in lifestyle and a dramatic drop in income!! I took one year off to work and travel after school and found it really hard to get back to studying, but am slowly getting there I can't imagine how hard it must be for mature age student to get back into the swing of things, with all the costs of living taken into account plus if they have children...
The other thing to add to that is there is nothing stopping you from getting a Uni degree that may be usefull in the aviation industry so once your done with the FA thing you can move on up the ladder a bit!!

[Edited 2008-05-06 01:20:59]