rwex414

Top Aviation Schools

Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 am

I am student right now attending high school and I’m hoping to go into aviation for collage and becoming a commercial pilot. I was wondering what the top ten universities are for becoming a pilot are. Right now I’m leaning towards attending Western Michigan University because I have heard many great things about them and for me its in state, and that makes it a lot cheaper. If anyone has any information on what major airlines look for and if anyone can recommend any other universities please share.
Thanks.

COERJ145

RE: Top Aviation Schools

Mon May 19, 2008 3:33 am

Embry-Riddle Aeronauticle University in Prescott, AZ and Daytona Beach, FL is a great school, as well as the University of North Dakota Grand Forks(UND). Embry-Riddle and UND both have a very good reputation(hence the "Harvard of the Skies" nickname). Having visited those I really like them; great campus's, aircraft, and staff. ERAU Prescott has the best campus IMHO, although small, as well as for good weather. ERAU Daytona is nice, but has the city atmosphere and is larger. The price for Riddle is expensive though. Also, if you go to Riddle, don't expect to find many hot chicks(those who are there are usually taken, I found this out from a friend who goes there). UND is the largest, but with the North Dakota winters. I also hear Perdue University and Ohio State have good aviation programs. If you do their flight programs, I recommend getting your Private Pilot License elsewhere though, it'll save you money(especially at UND/Emby-Riddle).

a318

Mon May 19, 2008 3:36 am

Definitely check out ERAU!!!
Welcome aboard!

flyf15

Mon May 19, 2008 3:37 am

The best school to learn how to fly at is a local part 61 flight school at an uncontrolled airport with an instructor who has been teaching people how to fly longer than you've been alive....

Boeing4ever

Mon May 19, 2008 4:02 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 1):
I also hear Perdue University and Ohio State have good aviation programs.

Purdue University. Home of the Boilermakers.

Smile

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

LGAtoIND

Mon May 19, 2008 4:09 am

Although I am a graduate of the Purdue School of Aviation Technology (Boiler Up!), I will say that personal bias aside, most aviation professionals will agree that the 3 "best" aviation colleges in the USA are, in no particular order, Embry-Riddle, Purdue, and North Dakota.

I know I will get flamed from all of the Utah Valley community college grads telling me how amazing their program is...

mpdpilot

Mon May 19, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 5):
most aviation professionals will agree that the 3 "best" aviation colleges in the USA are, in no particular order, Embry-Riddle, Purdue, and North Dakota.

I would argue with that. (don't misunderstand, they are good schools, but perhaps not the best)

Arizona State University Polytechnic is another less known school, but good. The flight training is done with a partnership with Mesa Airlines. I have heard from people at Mesa that our program puts out some of if not the best trained pilots for commercial aviation. The flight training is done by Mesa Pilot Development which also has two year programs in Texas and New Mexico. Arizona's program does come with a four year degree and 44 hrs in a CRJ sim at Mesa Air and an interview with Mesa Airlines when you graduate. Feel free to message me for more info.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

bakersdozen

Mon May 19, 2008 4:55 am

What about the Air Force??  Smile

mNeo

Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 am

I say go to WMU, all the other schools are good, but def not worth the price. A friend of mine JUST got his PPL at ERAU in daytona, because of delays, not being able to get planes on time and this year FL had some bad VFR weather. His PPL alone cost him well over 10K. (some ERAU students can correct me but i think an hour of multi in the Diamond is around $900)

IIRC British Airways used to send its cadets to WMU for flight training

But its a wise idea to save that money, ether for less loans or more flight hours, MEI, ect...
Powered by Maina

phxplanes

Mon May 19, 2008 5:44 am

Quoting MPDPilot (Reply 6):
Arizona State University Polytechnic is another less known school, but good.

Quoting MPDPilot (Reply 6):
Arizona's program does come with a four year degree and 44 hrs in a CRJ sim at Mesa Air and an interview with Mesa Airlines when you graduate.

You cant beat that, you take two CRJ ops classes as part of your education and also get those hours in the CRJ FTD as well as full motion sim. I have talked to graduates who say the basically sleep through ground school because they already know everything about the CRJ (and thats not just people who went to Mesa Airlines)

Also you you get all your flight training done in 2 1/2 years. (Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, CFII, and multi) I know you cant do that at riddle.

N353SK

Mon May 19, 2008 6:57 am

WMU may not have the BEST reputation in the world, but it is a very good aviation school and as a Michigan resident it will probably be to most affordable option for you. You get to fly the cirrus and you may graduate without being "riddled" with debt!

LHboyatDTW

Mon May 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 1):
Embry-Riddle

overrated!!

I'm going to WMU in a year. It only makes sense to go there since they specialize in just about anything aviation related and best of all it's in state. As a result there's no need to pay an arm and a leg for out-of-state tuition.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

UltimateDelta

Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

UNO (Nebraska-Omaha) also has a really good aviation academy. So does NE-Kearney.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Mir

Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Quoting Mneo (Reply 8):
some ERAU students can correct me but i think an hour of multi in the Diamond is around $900

No no no no. It's expensive, but not that expensive. It's about $250 an hour, which is comparable to what you will find for other twin trainers (cheaper than a Seminole due to it's microscopic fuel burn).

In any case, do NOT go to ERAU. Not because it's not good training (it is), but because the degree you come out with will be utterly useless should the aviation field collapse (and what do you know, it looks like it might do that any day now). Whatever you do, get a degree (not just a minor) in something other than aviation so that if you should get furloughed or laid off (and chances are good it'll happen to you at least once), you don't have to think "oh crap, what now?"

Also, remember that there is a lot more to aviation than just the airlines.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

seattleflyer

Thu May 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting Rwex414 (Thread starter):
collage

universities are for becoming a pilot are.

its

Hopefully whatever collage you choose, I hope grammar and spelling are not be one its requirements are.

~  Wink

alaska737

Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 am

Honestly you cant listen to the people who are saying dont go here, dont go here, this place is the best, but your going to have to make the decision yourself. I can tell you everything ( good and bad) about ERAU-Prescott and to a lesser extent Daytona, feel free to pm me or ask me any questions you'd like.

Embry-Riddle Prescott Golden Eagles Flight Team
National Champions 93, 97, 99, 03, 05, 07, 08

burnsie28

Fri May 23, 2008 10:28 pm

I would recommend UND, www.aero.und.edu and www.und.edu

ebs757

Sat May 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Southern Illinois has a good program. Thats where im thinking of going
Viva la Vida

futurecaptain

Sun May 25, 2008 4:52 am

Here is a nice list of some of the top schools in the country...

http://www.aviationschoolsonline.com...hool-listings/Flight-Schools/1.php

Spartan here in OK is pretty good. They'll take all your money. (but which flight schools won't....honestly.  Smile ). The crown jewel here is a fast, newly approved, training cirriculum and the new students which get to use it from day 1 are getting their licenses extremely quickly. The bad part is we are in Oklahoma, land of weather cancellations due to adverse weather.
Bottom line, if you are funding flight school yourself you are going to be poor for awhile. Accept it.
Because you have now learned that fact, go out and get the best damn training you can. Flying at a slow uncontrolled field in the middle of nowhere will do nothing to help you if you aspire to fly out of anywhere else in your life.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

JetBlueAUS

Sun May 25, 2008 5:26 am

ERAU, I believe, hast the best program.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

ALexeu

Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 am

How expensive are aviation schools/universities in USA? And what's the point of spending you money on them, if you need to spend in on your ATPL/CPL license which is also pretty expensive?

futureualpilot

Mon May 26, 2008 12:08 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 21):
How expensive are aviation schools/universities in USA? And what's the point of spending you money on them, if you need to spend in on your ATPL/CPL license which is also pretty expensive?

Very, to the point where I've been able to go from nothing through the CFI/CFII/MEI in the same amount of time, for well under half the cost. In fact, I will graduate with a college degree (and 4.5yrs of out of state tuition) and the licenses and ratings for a combined total that is under what the flight students pay here.
Life is better when you surf.

n6238p

Mon May 26, 2008 3:23 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 19):
Here is a nice list of some of the top schools in the country...

http://www.aviationschoolsonline.com...1.php

There sure are alot of schools missing from that list. Under Illinois: Lewis, U of Illinois, and Southern Illinois all missing from the list of top schools. I dont quite understand that one. The list looks like the schools listed payed for their spots.

Personally speaking I'd say the training I've received at my school SIUC is as good as any other school. I'd like to say training quality differs from school to school but really how well you do in any program is up to you and how hard you want to try. Every school has washouts and every school has people that go on to be senior captains. There are no easy ways to go through training and instead of trying to find out what school is the best, find out which school fits what you want the best.

I chose SIU because of the price and the location. The staff and students were extremely friendly to me when I visited and they treated me better than any of the other schools I looked at. The thought of doing multi training in a Cessna 310 made me pretty excited too. Flight Team is pretty fun too. Woooooo message drop!
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

futureuapilot

Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 am

Hey, I am currently enrolled here at UND. If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to email me.

UND has a great program. We fly very new aircraft... i have yet to fly in a bird older than 4 years... most still have the new airplane smell...

We also have a great ATC and management schools that can provide aviation degrees.

Again, let me know if you have any questions, UND is a great and fun school.

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

futurecaptain

Mon May 26, 2008 4:32 am

Quoting N6238P (Reply 23):
Under Illinois: Lewis, U of Illinois, and Southern Illinois all missing from the list of top schools.

I said "top schools."  Smile  duck 

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 24):
We fly very new aircraft... i have yet to fly in a bird older than 4 years... most still have the new airplane smell...

It seems like you guys have more than your fair share of crashes up there, flying those new planes must be challenging.

RIP all.

n6238p

Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 25):
I said "top schools."

Oh yes I forgot how Spartan tore it up at NIFA Nationals this year.

Ouch...

Haha all kidding aside though the list didn't include Purdue, ERAU Daytona, WMU, UND, The Ohio State... etc...
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

futureuapilot

Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 25):
It seems like you guys have more than your fair share of crashes up there, flying those new planes must be challenging.

We don't have many "crashes" at all. The few incidents we have had can and do occur to any other general aviation pilot as well.

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 20):
ERAU, I believe, hast the best program.

Yep... but there is a price!

alaska737

Mon May 26, 2008 7:37 am

Quoting N6238P (Reply 26):

What did SIU get this year?

futurecaptain

Mon May 26, 2008 1:36 pm

Quoting N6238P (Reply 26):
Oh yes I forgot how Spartan tore it up at NIFA Nationals this year.

Haha. Touche.

We have some internal problems with running a NIFA team so I doubt you will see us at any competition soon. Last year we went with 3 weeks practice. The school has other issues to sort out first.

n6238p

Mon May 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 28):
What did SIU get this year?

We got our table next to Averette University and a power connection for our laptops in the hanger.

We had a really young team this year and look for us to be alot more competitive next year.

Salukipilot

Mon May 26, 2008 5:55 pm

Okay I'll bite here. What I would honestly suggest, and this will NOT go over well, is to pursue some other career and fly for yourself on the side. Do you have anything you would love to do other than flying an airplane?

Here's the most likely scenerio if you want to go to an aviation school:

-Go to a normal university with an aviation program (SIU, Purdue, UND etc...) Spend around 125,000 in total
-Go to ERAU or some other specialty school and pay around 200,000 total. Oh and be seen as a "tool" in the 121 community...
-Have little to no social life while in school
-Have a personal understanding of the phrase "Sausage fest"
-Graduate and not get hired (The industry sucks right now, bad)
-Maybe get hired...then youre looking at a 18-24K income on your 125-200K initial investment. Which then again none of it is profit since you have to pay most of that back since mommy and daddy can only pay so much.
-Have NO social life again...
-Be away from home 35% of your life....Do you want to have a family sometime?

Oh and NIFA DOES NOT show how good a school's flight program is, only how well team members can learn to do a specific task. It's more of a personal competition than school vs. school.

I think that should be about it for now...go do something you love....that will pay you what you deserve and will let you live life the way it was meant to be lived!
Silver Airways Captain

Mir

Tue May 27, 2008 7:06 am

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 27):
We don't have many "crashes" at all. The few incidents we have had can and do occur to any other general aviation pilot as well.

I'll throw out the Seminole crash last year, since that was the result of a freak birdstrike - nothing the pilots did wrong there. That still leaves the Cessna crash in Crookston the year before, and the crash in a field somewhere back in 2004 (pilot survived, airplane destroyed). That's two significant accidents in a period of three years, which isn't great.

That said, to make the claim that flying the new airplanes must be challenging is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the airplanes - both the accidents I mentioned were pilot-induced. There are idiots in every flight program. There are also many intelligent people who put themselves in a position where something bad can happen, intentionally or not. 99% of the time nothing happens and they get away with it. But there is that 1%.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

futureuapilot

Tue May 27, 2008 4:51 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):
hat still leaves the Cessna crash in Crookston the year before, and the crash in a field somewhere back in 2004 (pilot survived, airplane destroyed). That's two significant accidents in a period of three years, which isn't great.

I will give you those two. Even though the Cessna was not a UND aircraft. The only connection UND had with that flight is it was two students who flew it for their own personal pleasure. That second incident causing us to drop a Warrior in the field was due to fatigue. I've seen pictures from that crash, and we have a poster of that hanging up in our Flight Operations area at the airport. Good lesson to make sure you use that IM SAFE checklist, I definitely know I have learned something from that accident.

I agree with you in saying that flying a new airplane is challenging. Our Warriors are very nice, stable aircraft, perfect for flight training. The hard part is teaching people who have never flew an airplane before to handle the aircraft solo. That's a challenge faced by any part 141 school. Not just UND.

-Sam

2H4

Tue May 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 3):
The best school to learn how to fly at is a local part 61 flight school at an uncontrolled airport with an instructor who has been teaching people how to fly longer than you've been alive....

Best advice yet. Back it up with a degree in a field you're enthusiastic about, and you'll be beautifully equipped....financially and academically....to enjoy a successful career.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

ALexeu

Tue May 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Reply 22):
Very, to the point where I've been able to go from nothing through the CFI/CFII/MEI in the same amount of time, for well under half the cost. In fact, I will graduate with a college degree (and 4.5yrs of out of state tuition) and the licenses and ratings for a combined total that is under what the flight students pay here.

That's great if you can get both college degree (what's the official name for that kind of rank in USA?), and pilot's license.

Quoting Salukipilot (Reply 31):

That's the bad side of the story...unfortunatly

futureualpilot

Tue May 27, 2008 10:25 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 35):
That's great if you can get both college degree (what's the official name for that kind of rank in USA?), and pilot's license.

I suppose its a bachelor's degree...the basic "I dun graj-E-ated kawluj" degree.
Life is better when you surf.