MOBflyer
Topic Author

Smallest True International Airports In The USA

Wed May 14, 2008 4:47 pm

What are the smallest airports in the USA that have the facilities and staff to process a commercial planes worth of inbound pax? I don't need a registry of airports that only have 'International' in their name (AEX) or that only do general aviation (PQL) - just airports that can accept commercial international flights.

FATFlyer

RE: Smallest True International Airports In The US

Wed May 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Smallest by what measure? Market size, overall pax counts, number of flights, etc?

FAT currently sees a daily MX flight from GDL.
BFL was seeing 3X week MX flights from GDL but those were just suspended.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 14, 2008 5:12 pm

also, keep in mind that an airport need not have commercial-sized customs/FIS facilities to maintain a flight to the major Canadian destinations, so that prolly puts some even smaller airports in reach of the title in question.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

rfields5421

Wed May 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Thread starter):
What are the smallest airports in the USA that have the facilities and staff to process a commercial planes worth of inbound pax?

What size plane? A 19 pax Beech from the Bahamas to Palm Beach or an A340 from Europe?

Air Canada flies a lot of affiliated turbo-props across the border to small US airports.

Manchester New Hampshire & Allentown, PA have B1900 service to CYYZ

What determines small, the length of the runway? the number of scheduled flights? the number of average weekly passengers?

The US is way too big with too many airports to classify a few airports as the smallest international airports.

Every US state has at least one airport with customs and immigration facilities, most more though many are on-call for fee airports.

[Edited 2008-05-14 10:31:54]

PanAm747

Wed May 14, 2008 5:20 pm

In terms of number of passengers per year, number of seats available, and number of daily flights, I believe it is BFL.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

KELPkid

Wed May 14, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm sure ELP has to be somewhere on that list...  Wink

Currently, no scheduled international passenger flights, however there have been sporadic international flights through the years...I'm sure the terminal handles the occasional passenger charter to Mexico still.

The airport would kill to have a Mexico flight or two again.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

wedgetail737

Wed May 14, 2008 5:24 pm

BFI actually has a FIS facility for travelers for and from Canada.

knope2001

Wed May 14, 2008 5:31 pm

A number of years back Green Bay was officially designated "International", not by simple name change but by a change in facillity and classification. Want to schedule a charter to Frankfurt? GRB was in the past not able to handle it, but they can now.

I point this out not only to offer a small airport which is "international" but also to illustrate that "international" can mean a lot less than some might think. GRB has never had international service (there was J31 service from Toronto nearly 20 years ago but that doesn't count since those flights clear customs at YYZ) nor do they serve much in the way of scheduled or ad-hoc international charters, even just to Mexico or the islands. If ORD fogs in and international flights need to divert, I don't think GRB can even make phone calls and get people there to do customs in a few hours. But GRB is authorized for international service unlike, say, nearby Appleton which is not much smaller. So GRB is indeed "international".

pilotboi

Wed May 14, 2008 5:41 pm

Don't know how it measures up in terms of size, but DAB here is quite small, and we DO have international flights. Vintage Props & Jets serves the Bahamas with Kingairs. The international terminal has a customs center, and even a jetway for a large commerical jet. The Kingairs don't use the jetway, obviously, but if anyone wanted it, it should still work.

MOBflyer
Topic Author

Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 7):

That's what I was getting at. Airports like GRB.

Smallest as in passenger traffic - not your usual international suspects.

rfields5421

Wed May 14, 2008 6:00 pm

I think Palm Springs - KPSP - has just one B737 - WestJet - from Vancouver each day - it's only scheduled intl traffic.

Tom in NO

Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Seeing as we've lost Air Canada, TACA, etc over the past two-plus years, and are left with no scheduled international service, you can go ahead and throw MSY on the list. Or better yet, start a new list: airports with the largest FIS areas that received the fewest flights. Yep, MSY would top that list  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

DesertAir

Wed May 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Tucson International Airport has one AeroMexico Connect Saab round trip flight a day to Hermosillo, Mexico.

Evan767

Wed May 14, 2008 6:41 pm

EYW is pretty damn small,and don't they get Cubana?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Boston92

Wed May 14, 2008 7:02 pm

SMX has the customs office open a few days a week to accept intl flights.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

FATFlyer

Wed May 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 14):
SMX has the customs office open a few days a week to accept intl flights.

Except it is not set up for commercial international flights, only private flights and cargo.

charlipr

Wed May 14, 2008 7:24 pm

How about CMH, they have 3 DH8 flights to Toronto? How many people fit on those planes?

MCOflyer

Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 pm

MLB- We get one LTU330 a week or used to and have props going to the Bahamas.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

visityyj

Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 13):
EYW is pretty damn small,and don't they get Cubana?

Yes, arrivals only ! Big grin

AAflyguy

Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 pm

PSP actually has seasonal WestJet service to Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary. I believe this most recent winter season saw a peak of 15-16 weekly frequencies between the three Canadian markets and PSP. Of course it has picked up considerable demand in the wake of Harmony's end of service and Alaska's decision not to fly YVR-PSP for the season. But still, WestJet has thrown a lot of capacity into that relatively small market, and apparently it is doing very well. I suspect given the fact that their currency is now virtually even with the U.S. Dollar, more Canadians are inclined to come across the border because their money goes a lot farther than it used to.

AAflyguy

PanAm747

Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Actually, come to think of it, Miami Seaplane Base (MPB) might be the smallest international airport, flying to the Bahamas.

Sadly, I know of this airport only from the tragic accident:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20051219-0
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jfktowerfan
Crew

Wed May 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Obviously many places get services from neighboring countries. For "across the pond" type services BDL has the daily AMS flight. BDL has an international arrivals building with one jetway, the PAX clear customs here and the plane is the towed to the terminal for the outbound flight.

Corey
C'mon Man

JET1977

Wed May 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Although SJC no longer has the following service, I definitely think they deserve a nod as a smaller airport; that had a diverse International Route Network. Back in 2001 AA used to fly two B772s: SJC-NRT & SJC-TPE. Additionally, AA flew SJC-CDG using their B763.

That service was in addition to AC's service to YVR & YYZ. Also AS and MX provided non-stop service to cities in Mexico as well.

Also, BDL may also qualify as a small airport that has international service. NW currently flies B752s BDL-AMS.

bigthumbsup 

Viscount724

Wed May 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 3):
Air Canada flies a lot of affiliated turbo-props across the border to small US airports.

Manchester New Hampshire & Allentown, PA have B1900 service to CYYZ

Quoting Charlipr (Reply 16):
How about CMH, they have 3 DH8 flights to Toronto? How many people fit on those planes?

Quoting AAflyguy (Reply 19):
PSP actually has seasonal WestJet service to Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary. I

I think the OP was asking about U.S. airports where inbound passengers have to clear U.S. immigration/customs on arrival. All the flights mentioned above pre-clear before departure from the Canadian cities mentioned.

NW7E7

Wed May 14, 2008 10:06 pm

FAI is pretty small and has a weekly Condor 763 flight from Yellowknife and departing to FRA. Air North operates a daily flight to Yellowknife. There are also a bunch of JAL 744 flights from NRT during the winter.

FAI has got to be the smallest airport in the US with scheduled passenger service to Germany with just over 31,000 people!

n186bd

Wed May 14, 2008 10:11 pm

BGR handles int'l charter flights for the government, if that counts. It's quite a small airport otherwise.
"To be a sober, plodding, industrious youth was to incur the ridicule of the mass of the students." - James Buchanan

MAH4546

Wed May 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):
MLB- We get one LTU330 a week or used

That service never started. It was canceled about 2-3 weeks before it was supposed to start. No surprise there.
a.

AAflyguy

Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 pm

TUS recently built a larger FIS facility. I took a tour of it last fall when out there attending a conference. They are hoping to continue growing Mexico service.

Viscount724, I read and understood the original poster's question. My post was to expand on an earlier one which referenced PSP service. I know it's all pre-cleared, and wouldn't have mentioned anything about it if it hadn't already been entered into the discussion with only partial info on what transborder service operates.

AAflyguy

MCIGuy

Wed May 14, 2008 11:43 pm

MCI is known locally as "KCI" or "Kansas City International". There were a number of years it was "International" in name only. It wasn't truly "International" again until AC came back with some direct flights.
Airliners.net Moderator Team

jaysan

Wed May 14, 2008 11:59 pm

HPN - Flights fromm YYZ on AC

dw9115

Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 am

What about Daytona Beach and the flights to the Caribbean they have on Vintage Props & Jets

pilotboi

Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 30):
What about Daytona Beach and the flights to the Caribbean they have on Vintage Props & Jets

Already nominated. See reply 8.

MKE22

Thu May 15, 2008 1:08 am

What about PFN? Last I checked, it is international, and is pretty dang small!
If Your not pissed, your not trying

PVD757

Thu May 15, 2008 1:10 am

You can add PVD to the list...

pwm2txlhopper

Thu May 15, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Thread starter):
I don't need a registry of airports that only have 'International' in their name (AEX) or that only do general aviation (PQL) - just airports that can accept commercial international flights.

An airport with "International" in it's name is a true international airport as long as there are customs facilities on the premises because it designates that airport an official port of entry into the USA. It doesn't have anything to do with whether there are really any international flights or not. Take Portland International Jetport in Maine for example.

Airports don't just put International in their name because it sounds good. It's because there are U.S. customs on site. Sometimes, all their presence might consist of is a mobile trailer that may or not be attended. Sometimes you have to call ahead for a U.S. Customs agent to come out to the field to meet the aircraft.

I think a lot of people fail to understand what makes an airport an International airport. I commonly hear people ask why an airport is called International when there aren't any International flights operating out of particular field.

Quoting N186BD (Reply 25):
BGR handles int'l charter flights for the government, if that counts. It's quite a small airport otherwise.

The terminal building itself is more medium size. About six jetways I think? It's been a while since I've been up there. The customs facilities are fairly large. Not like LAX or JFK, but large enough to process a widebody aircraft's passengers pretty quickly. The airport itself is huge! It was a former SAC base for B-52's with one of the longest runways on the east coast at almost 11,500 ft x 200 feet wide! The apron is massive, and there are huge hangers on site for the Air Guard KC-135's.

Also, BGR still gets non-government related charters. Just ten years ago, when airlines were still flying the likes of DC-10's, L-1011's, and other older classics, BGR was a common stop. In the 70's and into the 80's airlines like TWA and Pan Am would stop to refuel and process customs up there on a regular basis.

[Edited 2008-05-14 18:58:08]

[Edited 2008-05-14 18:59:05]

alphaomega

Thu May 15, 2008 1:57 am

SFB has got to be in there somewhere - they have daily international flights (charters from the UK) but they are slowly expanding the destinations offered with Brussels and Portugal this year. SFB has 12 gates and an actual FIS facility, and I'm sure its near the top of the list when you talk about overall airport size versus total international passengers through the airport.

MOBflyer
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 34):
Airports don't just put International in their name because it sounds good.

As I provided in my thread starter, AEX - Alexandria International Airport, is an example of an airport that does not in any way have customs facilities (not even a 'customs landing rights airport').

So with the rare exceptions like AEX, every airport that has 'international' in its name can land a commercial international flight, provided that arrangements may have to be made in advance? My hometown airport of MOB is a 'customs landing rights airport' and is called Mobile Regional Airport. If I were an airline, would it be possible for me to make arrangements for a scheduled regular international flight from MOB? The Port of Mobile has Customs and Border Patrol, so would the agents drive to the airport?

ABQopsHP

Thu May 15, 2008 2:10 am

CRP has an FIS and has customs agents on duty. On occasion there are corporate as well as military DC9s/737s that stop here to clear customs then go on. CRP only has 6 gates and 3 airlines serving. AeroMar was to start svc from MTY 2 years ago but that fell through. There is no scheduled service in or out of CRP to international destinations.
JD
A line is evidence that other people exist.

pwm2txlhopper

Thu May 15, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 36):
So with the rare exceptions like AEX, every airport that has 'international' in its name can land a commercial international flight, provided that arrangements may have to be made in advance? My hometown airport of MOB is a 'customs landing rights airport' and is called Mobile Regional Airport. If I were an airline, would it be possible for me to make arrangements for a scheduled regular international flight from MOB? The Port of Mobile has Customs and Border Patrol, so would the agents drive to the airport?

Theoretically, I suppose any airport that's designated "International" should be able to accept a commercial passenger flight assuming the airport has facilities and ground crews to handle a larger passenger aircraft. But then again, which major airline would ever start international service from somewhere such as PWM or MOB for example? Probably none? However, charters are another possibility. It's quite possible one of these could operate out of a smaller city.... I did witness a Primaris 757 arrive here at PWM from SNN one time several years back.

I'm not sure how it works in MOB, but wouldn't be surprised if a Customs agent from somewhere off the airfield comes out to meet arriving aircraft from International destinations. I'm sure Customs & Immigration must have a local office somewhere in the area with Mobile being a major port. They most likely have some experience down there with corporate jets coming in from out of the country. I know up here, at smaller airfields that aren't attended by U.S. Customs 24 hours that this is how it works. Prior arrangements are made to meet an aircraft inbound at a certain time.

Also, I'm not familiar with AEX, but was it a former Air Force base? This could have something to do with it. Perhaps it was a point of entry at one time, and the name just hung on? I don't know?
[Edited 2008-05-14 19:18:25]

[Edited 2008-05-14 19:22:50]

ualflyer

Thu May 15, 2008 2:22 am

ORF is a very small airport that is Internationally equipped. Although no flights at the moment regularly fly internationally, they did have non-stop flights to Kent, England for a significant time.

xaphan

Thu May 15, 2008 2:31 am

As far as freight is concerned, how about KSDF? We have UPS going just about everywhere they go from here.

FATFlyer

Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 am

Airports don't just put International in their name because it sounds good. It's because there are U.S. customs on site. Sometimes, all their presence might consist of is a mobile trailer that may or not be attended. Sometimes you have to call ahead for a U.S. Customs agent to come out to the field to meet the aircraft.

Actually they do just use the term, that is why the FAA makes it a point to say

Quote:
UNOFFICIALLY NAMED INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS. In addition to the designated international airports discussed above, there are a number of airports in the United States that contain the word ''International'' within their names but have no official designation. Nothing prohibits this practice, though it is discouraged. However, without any official designation, these airports have no international status.
See page 2 at http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff.../media/150-5000-5C/150_5000_5c.pdf

shanderawx

Thu May 15, 2008 3:14 am

I once flew Horizon from YVR to BLI (Bellingham), still listed as international but no Canadian commercial flights listed on wikipedia.org.

ginger727

Thu May 15, 2008 3:44 am

SFB is a small hub airport in terms of total passengers, but it is usually in the top 20 busiest international arrivals airports in the US for passengers clearing customs. A few years ago, it was ranked as the 12th busiest international airport. It is the smallest airport that handles the most international passengers in the country.

ha763

Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 am

KOA

Daily JAZ flight from NRT. Most of the year it's a 763, but during heavy travel periods they do send a 743.

jetdeltamsy

Thu May 15, 2008 4:37 am

DEC- Decatur, Illinois is a fully functioniong international airport. Customs facilities and the whole lot.

The station was created a few years ago to accomodate numerous international flights by ADM Corporate Aviation.

Decatur has a population of about 70,000.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

ROSWELL41

Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 am

I would argue BDL is the smallest, as I believe it is the smallest to have scheduled transatlantic passenger traffic. I personally would exclude Canada and Mexico in judging a 'true' international gateway.

ConcordeBoy

Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 11):
airports with the largest FIS areas that received the fewest flights. Yep, MSY would top that list

Interesting subject you raised.

I've never been down there... how many available lines are in our customs area? Also, do you know what our max hourly processing rate is?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MCOGVADCA

Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 am

Quoting ROSWELL41 (Reply 46):
I would argue BDL is the smallest, as I believe it is the smallest to have scheduled transatlantic passenger traffic. I personally would exclude Canada and Mexico in judging a 'true' international gateway.

SFB is much smaller and handles far more transatlantic traffic. Given your stated criteria, SFB unequivocally beats out BDL
12 months: mdl heh rgn kmg nng sha gmp icn can pvg sfo mco lwc sin dps cdg gva

UnitedFlyer

Thu May 15, 2008 7:33 am

MFR is known as the Rogue Valley International Medford Airport....but I beleive the Customs facility closed a few years back. . .