wilco737

Your Greatest Fear?

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:12 pm

The title tells the story: what is your greatest fear when flying?

I don't mean, if you are afraid of flying or feeling uncomfortable.

For me it is: fire on board of an aircraft! I think I can handle an engine failure without bigger problems, rapid decompression, electric failures, hydraulic, flap failures... Everything is not very nice, but somewhat I am able to handle it...
But fire?  covereyes  No thanks, never ever  crossfingers   pray 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Elite

RE: Your Greatest Fear?

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Thread starter):
But fire?    No thanks, never ever  

Well the chances of that happening are very, very slim, and there are fire extinguishers on board.

I think the worst thing that could happen would be a hijack.

wilco737

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 1):
Well the chances of that happening are very, very slim, and there are fire extinguishers on board.

Yes, there are slim, but imagine there is a fire in the cargo hold? Or in the wheel well? Places you cannot really reach? or some electrical fire? There a fire extinguisher won't help you at all...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

longhauler

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:36 pm

Fire is a big one, yes.

But crews are now far more aware and proactive than they ever were. Shoot, on the plane I fly, there are at least 20 drills that start with "Initiate diversion to nearest airport". All are smoke, fire or electrical related.

It is also a common practice in the simulator as time is so vital.

While you are correct to respect fire, as aircraft and crews become more fire aware, I think it is more and more unlikely.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

wilco737

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting LongHauler (Reply 3):

Yeah, we have the same procedures for fire, smoke etc etc. Land at next suitable airport or land ASAP! but at 030W over the northatlantic with the next airport more than 1.5 hours away it can get pretty nasty... I just have to think about Swissair 111  cry 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Elite

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Still, nothing worries me more than a hijack... being held hostages, killing the hostages, suicide flights etc.

Even though the chances of that is probably even slimmer than an onboard fire.

wilco737

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
Still, nothing worries me more than a hijack...

Thank god I am flying cargo airplanes, the risk of hijack is pretty low here  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Boston92

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 6):
Thank god I am flying cargo airplanes, the risk of hijack is pretty low here

Not to bust your bubble, but it might be easier to hijack a cargo flight than a passenger flight.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

DABZF

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 7):
Not to bust your bubble, but it might be easier to hijack a cargo flight than a passenger flight.

... but why would you hijack a cargo plane? I believe people make a bit better hostage than brown cardboard boxes... might be wrong though.

I personally do not have any fears (especially)... I try not to think of any either.
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

HT

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Thread starter):
The title tells the story: what is your greatest fear when flying?

Rather simple (= "stupid" ??) ones:
Getting stranded in a place I do not want to be (due to AOG, ATC-strike, wx, ...).
Arriving at my away-destination without my checked luggage.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

TrijetsRMissed

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:55 am

Excluding a hijacking, I would say an explosive decompression would be my biggest fear, particularly if it were at a low enough altitude where I would not lose consciousness. The TW 800 fuel tank explosion is always one that gives me chills. After that, a long inverted dive ala AS 261 would be painfully dreadful to endure. Having said that, I don't fear flying one bit.

Quoting DABZF (Reply 8):

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 7):

... but why would you hijack a cargo plane? I believe people make a bit better hostage than brown cardboard boxes... might be wrong though.

I has happened before or attempted anyway. Are you aware of the FX DC-10 incident in 1994?
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

dl767captain

Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:06 am

Crashing doesn't really scare me that bad, it's the time it takes to fall from 35,000 ft that horrifies me. Just sitting there waiting to dies is horrible, at least with a rapid decompression or explosion you go pretty much instantly.

The other fear of mine is getting sucked out of the aircraft, in whatever would cause that, and falling to your death, at least if you were at a high altitude you would pass out due to lack of oxygen but still...

Highjacking doesn't really bother me, it seems like now after what happened with 9/11 people wouldn't just sit around and wait to see what happens. I know i would like to confront the retards and do whatever i could (a lot easier to say than do).

tennis69

Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:22 am

Since the chances are very slim that any of the scenarios mentioned above will ever happen, lets talk about more realistic fears. My greatest fear is that I will be seated next to a pax who weighs in at 100+ Kg, wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, and who hasn't had a bath in a week.

Analog

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:25 am

Gas.

The reduced cabin pressure makes it rather uncomfortable.

NWADC9

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:47 am

Hijacking
Ditching
Windshear/Microburst
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

DABZF

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:31 am

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 10):
I has happened before or attempted anyway. Are you aware of the FX DC-10 incident in 1994?

... that was a suicide attempt by a jump seater (FX pilot), right?
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

Elite

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:47 am

Quoting DABZF (Reply 15):
... that was a suicide attempt by a jump seater (FX pilot), right?

Yep.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Flight_705

If any of you have actually seen the AirCrash Investigation episode on this (available on YouTube) it is pretty scary!!

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Suicidal Pilot
Suicidal Hijackers

Quite simply......to be in a plane with a unprecedented/unknown mechanical failure previously not detected, such as SR 111 or TWA 800.
In Arsene we trust!!

ANITIX87

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 17):
to be in a plane with a unprecedented/unknown mechanical failure previously not detected, such as SR 111 or TWA 800.

These two accidents are what triggered my huge fear of flying. I was on N93119, who crashed as TWA800, on her last complete flight, doing ATH-JFK that afternoon. I had also flown GVA-JFK earlier on the day SR111 went down, though the registration was different. I'm not afraid of dying on a plane, or anything else, but what terrifies me is the thought of death's inevitability if something like TWA800 happens. That time from FL200 to FL000 must be the more horrifying thing I could imagine, and that thought it what scares the living **** out of me.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ajd1992

Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:49 pm

On a commercial flight - hijack, fire, bomb, rapid decompression. Nothing I want to experience.

On a private plane (i.e. one that i'm flying) engine fire. That's about it. Failure isn't that bad, it's less urgent than a fire anyway.

TupolevTu154

Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Now I think about it, there are quite a few.

Structural failure (A wing falling off or propeller blade becoming detached from the hub and spearing the fuselage)
Hydraulic failure (Similar to the JAL accident years ago)
Random dive and crash.

I know the chances of these are all extremely slim, but sometimes you can't help but think about an incident.

BAE146QT

Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:43 pm

At the risk of being called a macho butthead, I don't fear anything when I fly.

The aircraft has been certified, the manufacturers build to tolerances that make the Apollo craft look like sieves, the engineers are some of the most highly-trained people on the planet, the pilots are too and have a vested interest in the safety of the plane, and I am in a metal cylinder hurtling several miles off the ground at a good fraction of the speed of a small-bore rifle bullet.

So if I have put myself in that position in the first place, and have already placed trust in the people responsible for my welfare during the trip, where is the point in being frightened when I'm actually up there? It's a done deal already. Usually, I read a book and pretend that the air isn't getting thin.

Footnote:

As for [strike]the new bogeyman[/strike] terrorists, there once was a time when if you sat in your seat and let them get on with it, you had a good chance of surviving with a story to tell your kids. As most of us know and are sick of hearing, "9/11 changed all that" and I'm sure that most hijackers know this too. So if they're aboard, then someone screwed up and I'm still in a metal cylinder hurtling several miles off the ground at a good fraction of the speed of a small-bore rifle bullet. I can choose to fight and possibly die, or I can choose to sit there and die anyway. I'd fight. But really - what's the likelihood?
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

babybus

Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:04 pm

My fears: unexpected severe turbulence and an Arab terrorist hijacking. Both happening on the same flight would be just the end of the world for me.  Sad
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

ALexeu

Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 pm

What about engine-failure on rotation.

n6238p

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:43 am

Icing scares the crap out of me. The stories I hear from guy that start running freight in Barons and 208's really makes me hope I can get hired by a regional as quick as possible when I get to that stage in my career.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

wilco737

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:10 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 23):
What about engine-failure on rotation.

That is no big deal. As we all have seen the Thomsonfly in Manchaster which got hit by a bird while it was rotating. They climbed away without bigger problems and 20 or so mins later they landed safely.
those engine failures during rotation or after V1 before Vr are trained in the simulator and not that difficult to handle. It is exciting for sure, but not my greatest fear  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ALexeu

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 25):
As we all have seen the Thomsonfly in Manchaster which got hit by a bird while it was rotating.

I knew that somebody is going to mention that !!!

what about C172 engine failure on rotation !?

aerorobnz

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:25 am

My biggest fear is being squashed by a lard ass passenger as they move around the cabin.... Smile
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

wilco737

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 26):
what about C172 engine failure on rotation !?

You didn't say that  Wink But here I must admit: I would get a little more excited. But still not my greatest fear  duck 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Transpac787

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
suicide flights etc.

Don't you think most (maybe all) pax in this day and age won't remain seated in any such event, but would immediate rise to stop it?? Before 9/11, hijacking almost seemed to be a "gentleman's" business. Hostages were taken, money demanded, the plane was landed. Most all of them tended to end happily for the pax and crew. DB Cooper is a great example. Now though with 9/11 it's become a suicide mission, and with that in mind people won't just be along for the ride anymore, they'll try to stop it as soon as it starts.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 6):
Thank god I am flying cargo airplanes, the risk of hijack is pretty low here

What about that FX guy that wanted to suicide himself and the plane into Fred Smith's house??

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 10):
Are you aware of the FX DC-10 incident in 1994?

Damnit, you beat me to it!!

For me, any overwater ditching. I forget the exact wording, but as I read in a 747-400 POH, it said something along the lines of "chances of successful overwater ditching are considered by Boeing to be extremely improbably to impossible"

So basically the plane is not going to survive any ditching attempt. That having been said though, I would trust the 744 with my life any day of the week, but I've always been a bit of an Airbus skeptic, so ETOPS on the A330 is not something I look forward to.

ANITIX87

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 29):
So basically the plane is not going to survive any ditching attempt. That having been said though, I would trust the 744 with my life any day of the week, but I've always been a bit of an Airbus skeptic, so ETOPS on the A330 is not something I look forward to.

This is a philosophy I've never understood. I shoot at JFK with someone else who won't go if it's not Boeing.

What information do you POSSIBLY have that supports Airbus being more or less unreliable than Boeing? You say ETOPS on the A330 scares you. Are you implying that a Boeing twin wouldn't scare you at all? Would a flight on an A340 frighten you too? Airbus and Boeing are both incredibly successful companies with excellent aircraft. These aren't cars, where the specifications are open to interpretation, and where the result of a failure could be a death or two. If something major goes wrong on an aircraft, hundreds of lives are lost, and neither Boeing nor Airbus will risk that. Also, most accidents are either pilot error or maintenance-related. If an airline maintains its fleet and trains its pilots well, they won't have any problems. If, however, they don't have funds or properly trained staff, they can pay the price. An aircraft with its airworthiness certificate is safe enough to transport people for its design life, and as such, you should trust it to do its job well. Honestly, and with all due respect, this philosophy of choosing a manufacturer which you think is the only one that will get you there safely is a bit of a naive one. And you're not the only person who thinks this way, so please don't take my comments personally.

*/rant*

TIS

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Transpac787

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 30):
What information do you POSSIBLY have that supports Airbus being more or less unreliable than Boeing?

Quite a bit. UA, for instance, has an entire section in the A319/320 POH entitled "Anomalies". These are occurrences in flight or on the ground that cannot be reproduced, explained, or much less solved by maintenance or the aircraft engineers. So, the best they can come up with is a small section in the manual to say "look out for this", since it has happened and cannot be explained as to the "why". You will find no such section in any Boeing aircraft POH.

You say ETOPS on the A330 scares you. Are you implying that a Boeing twin wouldn't scare you at all?

Absolutely correct. While far less than most users, I've done 4x ETOPS flights on the 767 and 5x on the 777. Never was nervous on any of them.

Would a flight on an A340 frighten you too?

Same as the A330, yes. Probably why I've never been on one  Wink

Airbus and Boeing are both incredibly successful companies with excellent aircraft.

Ughhh...

The classic comeback. The appeal to the success of the company. I don't doubt this at all. I do, however, have major concerns over safety with respect to the engineering of the planes. No in the design, but in the fracking fly-by-wire system. I've heard and read about too many incidents and near-accidents directly related to issues with the Airbus design and software in the FBW to get that warm-and-fuzzy feeling when I fly on them, especially on ETOPS-180.

Honestly, and with all due respect, this philosophy of choosing a manufacturer which you think is the only one that will get you there safely is a bit of a naive one.

No, it is not. Playing by the statistics alone, you would be correct. Like I said though, there have been no major accidents due to the Airbus FBW (except for maybe that AF A320 on video), but there have been WAYYYYY too many near-accidents.

My main beef with them is the "anomalies" section in the POH. I mean, how can you design an entire aircraft and then the collective engineering team cannot explain these mysterious incidents when the aircraft seems to evolve a mind of its own?? All I can do is just chuckle and shake my head.

sandrozrh

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 31):
Absolutely correct. While far less than most users, I've done 4x ETOPS flights on the 767 and 5x on the 777. Never was nervous on any of them.

rotfl  you can't be serious?  laughing 

staralliance38

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Suicidal Pilot

This is why airlines do backround and mental checks on employees.

My biggest fear on an airplane would probably be if somebody dies in-flight. Kinda uncomfortable. Somebody did a TR and that happened.

Also remember, you have a greater chance to be in a car accident than an airplane accident. Air Travel is one of the most safest ways to get around  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

Transpac787

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 32):
you can't be serious?

I am serious. I'm Boeing blood, which I readily admit. Whenever and wherever I can avoid Airbus, I make sure I do, especially overwater.

I suppose we could also note that a 777 holds the record for the longest successful ETOPS divert. When UA used to fly LAX-AKL on the 777, on the return flight AKL-LAX a 777 lost it's engine at the ETOPS-207 equal-time-point (worst possible point on the entire flight), taking 192 minutes to divert to KOA.

Vio

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:22 pm

I have a few fears when flying:

1. Pilot error (making sure that I understand where I'm flying and getting an overall picture of the traffic around me. I'm extra careful, but I don't have enough fingers to count how many times I was near an uncontrolled airport making my calls and some yo-yo came out of nowhere, without making any call at all)

2. Control surface malfunction (elevators, rudders, ailerons)

3. Fire

4. Engine failure on take-off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a passenger:

Loosing my luggage. LOL. I trust people in aviation especially the pilots up front. I've never been scared in commercial airliner. I just sit, enjoy the ride and buckle up all at times.
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

BAE146QT

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 31):
Like I said though, there have been no major accidents due to the Airbus FBW (except for maybe that AF A320 on video),

For pity's sake don't say that in Tech-Ops. The FBW was not to blame for that accident - the pilot was, and the model of aircraft would not have made the slightest bit of difference. All jet engines are subject to the same laws of physics.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

MEACEDAR

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Guys, for some reason, I never am scared. Not from a hijack, not from a fire, not from engine failure. Simply nothing. In fact, I don't even think about it. I just go and fly. The chances are slim.

Vio

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 37):
Guys, for some reason, I never am scared. Not from a hijack, not from a fire, not from engine failure. Simply nothing. In fact, I don't even think about it. I just go and fly. The chances are slim.

... however... when you fly for a living, it's a completely different story. The chances of something going are much higher.

According to SAFETYXCHANGE:
http://www.safetyxchange.org/, the 10 most dangerous jobs are:

Number one on the list is a tie between logging and aircraft pilots at 92.4 fatalities per 100,000.

Here's the rest of the list:
3. Fishers & Fishing Workers: 86.4
4. Iron & Steel Workers: 47.3
5. Garbage Collectors: 43.2
6. Farmers & Ranchers: 37.5
7. Roofers: 34.9
8. Power Line Installers/Repairers: 30
9. Truckers and Driver/Sales Workers (such as pizza delivery persons): 27.6
10. Taxi Drivers & Chauffeurs: 24.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to FORBES:
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Job Number Of Fatalities Fatality Rate*
Timber Cutters 105 122.1
Fishermen 52 108.3
Pilots 230 100.8
Structural Metal Workers 47 59.5
Extractive Occupations 69 53.9
Roofers 65 30.2
Construction Workers 288 28.3
Truck Drivers 852 27.6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way you look at it, it's a dangerous job.

[Edited 2008-06-05 15:18:16]

sandrozrh

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:21 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 34):

I am serious. I'm Boeing blood, which I readily admit. Whenever and wherever I can avoid Airbus, I make sure I do, especially overwater.

rotfl  thats pathetic. I root for Airbus, yet i don't ever feel less safe on any Boeing aircraft compared to any Airbus, how ignorant is that anyway  laughing 

Vio

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:53 pm

When did this thread turn into an A vs B? Ah, moderators???

FlyboyOz

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I don't like to see the wings flap up and down
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

MEACEDAR

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 38):
... however... when you fly for a living, it's a completely different story. The chances of something going are much higher.

That's true. I usually fly roundtrip once or twice per month, usually on the weekends because of school.

[Edited 2008-06-05 17:11:37]

AF340

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 am

For commercial:

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 14):
Ditching
Windshear/Microburst

For my plane:
1. Stressed Airframe causing wings to break off (that would suck...)
2. Microburst on short-final
3. Passenger (or co-pilot) emergency medical condition
4. Goose hit on take-off (smash the windshield and hit me)

Liam  

[Edited 2008-06-05 17:22:49]

TrijetsRMissed

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:55 am

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 33):
Suicidal Pilot

This is why airlines do background and mental checks on employees.

There are plenty of depressed/suicidal people who have clean criminal records. Furthermore, suicidal depression often goes undiagnosed and untreated. And one's emotional health will not always be apparent through mental cognitive screening.

It has happened before. See the Egypt Air 767 crash. And he wasn't even depressed, but found out he would be fired upon return shortly before the flight and at some point decided to become a mass murderer in retaliation.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

RussianJet

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:15 pm

The prospect of a hijacking bugs me, as all it takes is for some evil people to be onboard. Seems more likely than mechanical failure of some kind.

Also, in terms of crashing, the one that plays one my mind even though it is ridiculously unlikely is a mid-air collision. Surprised it hasn't had more mention here.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Rockinflyer

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I'd have to say severe turbulence. It just gives me that scary feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know the crew is perfectly capable of handling it, intellectually speaking, but I just get really nervous when its going on. Cocktail please!
AA,AC,AF,BA,BN,BW,CO,DL,FL,F9,HA,KL,NA,PA,RW,TW,UA,WA,WN

AmricanShamrok

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 34):

You're just biased because Boeing's a US company. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong by the way, Boeing has had more fatal accidents than Airbus.

jgarrido

Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 am

Microburst...the only time I remember actually being afraid is on a couple mile final into DEN in an ERJ and we dropped a couple hundred feet rather abruptly. I remember thinking we did haven't too many extra hundred feet to be giving up.

PHXmd80

Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:40 am

My worst fear when flying is having my CO flight cancelled, being rebooked on DL, and then, after landing in ATL, being stuck on the tarmac in a 757 for 14 hours before finding out that my bags were sent to PDX not PHX.  bigthumbsup 

In all honesty, I don't really have any fears when flying. I believe that you can't control what happens to you, but you can control how you react. I will decide how to react when that time comes.

PHXmd80