zillox

IAD Layover

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Hey A.netters,

In September I am going from LAX - IAD - BRU
At IAD we have a 5 hour's layover. What could you advise me to do?
Example: Visit the White House (enough time to take the cab ? ), visit something else..

Kind Regards!!!
Let's fly around the world!!!!

srbmod

RE: IAD Layover

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 pm

A 5 hour layover is going to be tough to really take a side trip into Washington D.C., as you would spend most of that time getting from IAD to Washington D.C. as IAD not really close to town. Even if you hit the timing just right, you may have 60-90 minutes to really explore and you can barely do any museums in that amount of time. Your best bet may be to go over to the Udvar-Hazy Center, which is the Dulles Annex of the Smithsonian National Air And Space Museum. There is bus service from IAD to the museum.

LHboyatDTW

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

I may be flying into IAD next summer from CPH. What's the average amount of time needed to go through customs/immigration to make my flight home on time (Note: The SK flight gets in at about 3:30ish I think)?
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

HT

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):

I fully agree with Srbmod here.
Too little time to head downtown and enjoy the time.
Go for the Udvar-Hazy Center and return to the airport in time for your continuation flight.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

plateman

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:05 am

Too little time to go downtown like the others said. Easily a 40-45 minute ride into downtown during non rush hour.

But go to the Udvar-Hazy Center, amazing place.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:05 pm

As someone who connects or flys from IAD several times a year and knows DC pretty well don't consider going into the city.

The Udvar-Hazy is a very nice facility and it is about 10mins (if you drive like an undertaker) from Dulles. I went a couple of years ago and enjoyed myself!
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/74641/
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

iairallie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:41 am

Admission to the museum is still free though some things inside charge a fee. It would be the perfect way to waste a couple of hours. Give yourself lots of time to go back through security and to get to your gate. At least an hour. The lines can be brutal.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

deltairlines

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:08 am

Udvar-Hazy Center is 10-15 minutes and about a $10-12 cab ride from the airport. Since you shouldn't have any need to stop at baggage claim when you get off the UA flight, you should be able to be there within 30 minutes of landing.

Admission there is free, so spend about 2-2.5 hours looking around there and head back to the airport. Keep in mind that security at IAD can take a while to get through in the early evening, so leave plenty of time for that.

I believe there's also a mall around the airport that you could probably cab to if you were inclined to shop.