boeingfever777

Who To Fly To TPE, SIN, & HKG.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:33 am

OK guys... Have done some research for my next trip to TPE, SIN, and HKG.

I'm only looking for members that have flown this route either from LAX or SFO.

LAX-TPE
BR 001
BR 015

SFO-TPE
BR 017
BR 027

I want to know what is the best routing... If you have flown another carrier and feel it's better than BR service, then please explain why.

I have only spoken with Norcal773 and Jacobin777 on this flight.

This is a 24 day trip for my wife and I for her 2nd semester of graduate school. So I want it to be nice and she wants to fly the BR 77W for some reason.

So if CI or MH are better please advise. I have never flown a BR 77W only a 744. Went through SFO to AKL on NZ and I liked the airport so I'm ok with flying out of SFO rather than LAX.

BTW: Meeting Fxramper in HKG on the 25th July for our bday! Big grin  yes 

Any help is much appreciated.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

fxramper

RE: Who To Fly To TPE, SIN, & HKG.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Thread starter):
Meeting Fxramper in HKG on the 25th July for our bday!

You are nuts. I'm using AA to get to Narita and using passes from there to TPE.

How is Eva? I read a few reports on here...didn't say much...

twocents 

LHRBFSTrident

RE: Who To Fly To TPE, SIN, & HKG.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:17 am

you are in luck - I am up this evening because I have just flown into LAX on EVA (BR 016) and I am not tired yet!

I chose BR because of price, to be honest, and the TRs in here and other sites don't really report much about them in any concrete way...so here goes:

Great seat pitch even in Y - 33-34"

LAX-TPE - 744 departed 1 hr late due to LAWA computer snafu, arrived TPE 10 mins late
TPE-BKK - 77W bang on time (a/c continuing to LHR)
BKK-TPE - 77W bang on time (a/c inbound from LHR)
TPE-LAX - 77W bang on time

the a/c are newly re-configured and immaculately clean and well-maintained.

I was worried about the cabin crew as I had heard they were too 'robotic' and unfriendly - I just found this to be completely wrong! Each and every flight attendant was smiling and courteous and extremely professional.

one f/a switched on my reading light for me on departure from TPE, when she saw I was just trying to read in ambient light (duh, why didn't I think of using the reading light?!)

constantly passing with water/juice thoughout the flight

AVOD is great - with roaming map and choice of movies (OK, it's no VPort or Krisworld, but still good)

77W seats for 2 people travelling who don't want to be disturbed are 57A/B and 57 H/K or better yet 69, 70 and 71 window/aisle (we thought 57 had 'slightly' limited recline).

FYI 68A and K have more legroom than any other Y-seats due to the way the seat rows are spaced for the curvature of the fuselage, but they are in a block of 3 and the B/C seats have standard pitch

Here's the secret to BR - get a flight on the 744 (all-pax NOT combi) in Y and book on the upper deck - the seatpitch there is 35-36 inches!!!! We took BR 015 outbound on the 744 upper deck in Y and it was amazing!

seatguru.com has their seatmaps, so take a look...

the ONLY complaint I had about BR was that there was no drinks run before dinner outbound or inbound - I am quite attached to my pre-dinner G&T or whatever, and found they only offered red and white wine on their cart, and I imagine anything else would have to be fetched from the galley (even sodas were not stcked on the cart, but the cabin crew were delighted to fetch sodas from the galley whenever we asked!

seems like a small point really.

all in all my partner (non-airline nut) and I have sworn to never subject ourselves to AA, UA or, heaven-forbid, NW transpacific again, not when we can fly EVA and be happy!

don't get me wrong, Y is NOT luxury - but we have just got home and can't stop talking about how our trans-pacific flights feel the same as if we had just flown to/from the east coast, despite being 3x as long!

Trip report and pics tomorrow  Wink