eugdog

What Will Happen To My Vacation If US Airways Fail

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:51 am

I booked a flight from London to Tampa for a two week vacation in Florida leaving July 20. It looks if US airways is in serious trouble and may collapse!

If it fails before July 20 will I be rebooked on another airline or do I just get my money back. I booked by credit card on travelocity. I am reliuctant to book hotels or car hire until I know for sure I am going!

Can anyone help me

777ER
Crew

RE: What Will Happen To My Vacation If US Airways

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 am

Quoting Eugdog (Thread starter):
It looks if US airways is in serious trouble and may collapse!

I've not seen any evidence (apart from a.net members saying) that US Airways is in serious trouble. Just cause they will shortly be charging $2 per can of coke and $15 for checked luggage, doesn't mean they are in trouble.

Is there any real evidence that US are in trouble?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:58 am

Can anyone help me

How do you suppose we could help you? It's your vacation, your ticket, your credit card and, most importantly, your risk.

And how did you reach the conclusion that US may collapse? I think that charging for snacks is overdoing it a bit and does suggest they are strapped for cash a bit (perhaps more so than their competitors) but, then again, most airlines in the U.S. are.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

777STL

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 am

US isn't going to liquidate in a month's time. You're fine.
PHX based

philb

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 am

If it fails before July 20 will I be rebooked on another airline or do I just get my money back. I booked by credit card on travelocity

You say you are an accountant and you don't know the answer to this? Try reading the terms and conditions of both your booking and your credit card.

As for US Airways, as with all major US carriers, the business press and other partially informed journalists are making as much of doom and gloom as they can.

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

I booked a flight from London to Tampa for a two week vacation in Florida leaving July 20. It looks if US airways is in serious trouble and may collapse!

Huh?

TN757Flyer

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:51 pm

All U.S. carriers are hurting badly, maybe even Southwest to a lesser degree, but this close to your date, I don't think I'd worry too much. Personally I would not book US too far out. However, they aren't going to do anything drastic during the one season of the year they should have decent cash producing traffic. The worst case scenario I could see is your domestic flights may get canned and combined with other flights between your cities, but I think you're OK.

wn676

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 1):

Is there any real evidence that US are in trouble?

Not really, but let's jump on the US Airways hate train just for the heck of it! Seems to be the popular thing to do these days...

[Edited 2008-06-16 06:12:32]
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

whappeh

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:15 pm

I can't believe I'm actually reading this thread. Do you think Aliens are going to come storming out of the skies too. I read that online somewhere as well.  Yeah sure
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

scouseflyer

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Quoting Wn676 (Reply 7):
Not really, but let's jump on the US Airways hate train just for the heck of it! Seems to be the popular thing to do these days...

Do you think it's because they dared to buy loads of Airbuses?

warreng24

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Perhaps the OP is confused due to reports of Mesa Airlines on the verge of collaspe (according to many here on A.net and on various other media outlets). Mesa Airlines has been referenced as flying for US Airways Express.

The OP should not be concered with Mesa Airlines collasping (with repect to the OP's ticket on US Airways).

In the event that the OP is ticketed to fly a US Airways Express flight operated by Mesa Airlines, US Airways will handle the rebooking.

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 10):
Perhaps the OP is confused due to reports of Mesa Airlines on the verge of collaspe (according to many here on A.net and on various other media outlets). Mesa Airlines has been referenced as flying for US Airways Express.

The OP should not be concered with Mesa Airlines collasping (with repect to the OP's ticket on US Airways).

In the event that the OP is ticketed to fly a US Airways Express flight operated by Mesa Airlines, US Airways will handle the rebooking.

And perhaps you're delusional?

Mesa does not fly transatlantic.

eugdog

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Some of the postings were rather testy and unpleasant.

I was thrilled that I was going on US airways when I booked the flight early this year. Normally I go on an incredibly cramped charter flight which is bloody misery for 9 hours . I have found US airways international flights to be first rate! So I was delighted that I was only paying £490 for the flight - £200 cheaper then the competition

But I read that according to Bloomberg US airways is the weakest of the major carriers and most likely to fail (they did not say that it would probably fail but more likely then others) whilst Southwest is least likely to fail.

Since the Bloomberg report oil has risen by $10-20 and may reach $150 by summer. US Airways stock lost 25% in one day last week. Also I read that US Airways needs $800 average per passenger (assuming round trip fare ) to break even (at the current oil prices)!

The latter point is particularly disturbing.

mu2

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 pm

US still has more than 2 billion of cash in the bank.

meta

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:33 pm

This may not be a great airline, but I think you have jumped to conclusions without facts. Give us at least 1 source saying what you say. Also it takes time for a airline to liquidate. You can look at Alitalia for example. They should just die out already! Also why did you choose US Airways in the first place? How about CO, DL, NW?

philb

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Quoting Eugdog (Reply 12):
Some of the postings were rather testy and unpleasant.

The clue might be in your question:

If it fails before July 20 will I be rebooked on another airline or do I just get my money back. I booked by credit card on travelocity.

Why ask that specific question here? Surely you understand the terms of your contract with the travel company and your credit card company.

without any references/sources is not the way to go.

richierich

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Quoting Meta (Reply 14):
They should just die out already! Also why did you choose US Airways in the first place? How about CO, DL, NW?

That's kind of what I thought too. For somebody who has all of this irrational fear and anxiety of the future of the airline they are traveling on, why on Earth then did you chose US Airways?

Truthfully you are pretty well protected by your credit card company should anything awful happen to US over the next month (you didn't pay cash, did you???) And it is possible some other airline would step up to the plate and allow you to fly on them over a similar route, although it would probably cost a small fee and might be standby only. You never know. But at this point, what choice do you have but to continue with your vacation plans? Anything else would definitely be acting a little prematurely - and its out of your immediate control anyway. Roll with it, my friend....  crossfingers 
None shall pass!!!!

wn676

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 9):

Of course! How un-American of them, buying those plastic pieces of you-know-what! They should change their name to Traitorous Scareways!

I've also heard that Doug Parker practices witchcraft.

Quoting Eugdog (Reply 12):
Since the Bloomberg report oil has risen by $10-20 and may reach $150 by summer. Also I read that US Airways needs $800 average per passenger (assuming round trip fare ) to break even (at the current oil prices)!

And these costs are limited strictly to US? What other U.S. airline (with the exception of Southwest for the time-being) is not facing a similar scenario?
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:02 pm

Quoting Meta (Reply 14):
They should just die out already!

...says the 16-20 year-old who's probably never worked in the industry. You're talking about people's livelihood here. I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE, regardless of who they work for.  no 

smcmac32msn

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:02 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 11):
And perhaps you're delusional?

Mesa does not fly transatlantic.

banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead 

Doing a LHR-TPA trip on usairways.com, they have a LHR-PHL flight that leaves LHR at 1:05pm lcl and arrives at 4:10pm lcl. From PHL there is a non-stop to TPA. There are also possible itineraries through CLT and DCA.

Doing a LGW-TPA trip on usairways.com, they have a LGW-CLT flight that leaves LGW at 10:40am lcl and arrives 2:25pm lcl. You then have to make a connection in CLT to go to TPA.

Last I checked, PHL-TPA, PHL-DCA, DCA-TPA, or CLT-TPA are not transatlantic flights.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

toltommy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Based upon what? For someone who claims economics as a hobby on his profile, I hope you do a little more studying before making these types of threads in the future.

[Edited 2008-06-16 08:07:30]

deltairlines

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:08 pm

US isn't going anywhere this summer - the summer season is traditionally the strongest revenue quarter for the airlines, so it's extremely unlikely they go anywhere before Labor Day. The interesting part will be after Labor Day when the business travelers start to return to the skies in a stronger force - these are often the elite frequent flyers and the effects of some of their moves to devalue Dividend Miles will be seen at this point (whether it be no effect or a big loss of high-yielding passengers is unknown right now).

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 19):

Okay, whatever. The OP has already stated he was referring to mainline US Airways. And besides, the majority of the city pairs you listed aren't flown with Mesa US Express metal, most are with Piedmont, Wisconsin, and Republic.

smcmac32msn

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:21 pm

All he said was US Airways.... you made no sense when you said Mesa doesn't fly transatlantic. All 5 itineraries from both LHR/LGW are on ALL MAINLINE aircraft all the way to TAMPA.

Go back and notice you replied to Warreng24 (Post 10) when you said what you did. It will all make sense when you reread what was said.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

contrails

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:23 pm

I flew Braniff (the original) to LGW when I was in college, and Braniff's demise was much more of a risk then than US' demise is now. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Tampa is a beautiful city. I hope you have a great trip.
Flying Colors Forever!

nkops

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Meta (Reply 14):
They should just die out already!

As someone who has gone through an airline bankruptcy, it annoys me to no end when someone says something like this, especially somebody who is probably not even 20 yrs old yet. Whether you like the airline or not, the livelihood of the employees is so much more important!!
:evil:

DocLightning

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 25):

As someone who has gone through an airline bankruptcy, it annoys me to no end when someone says something like this, especially somebody who is probably not even 20 yrs old yet. Whether you like the airline or not, the livelihood of the employees is so much more important!!

I agree. But it is not so important that airlines should be permitted to continue unsustainable business practices. If US employees would like to retain their livelihoods, they can work their butts off to try to make their airline attractive to customers. And if US execs would like to stay in business, they can operate a sustainable carrier that charges enough money to pay for its own operations.

No exec wants to be presiding over a company when it folds. It looks just awful on your resume.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

whappeh

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 25):

Quotes like the one you quoted have been popping up more and more often lately, usually by minors who have no basis of reality when it comes to the work company employees put in for any airline. To at least 50% of the people who post here, airplanes are just a game. Metal things that move around the sky for them to look at, and to serve them when they need to get from point A to point B, and they totally forget the very large amount of people that totally rely on the aviation industry (in all its forms) for a living. Its really sick, I've never seen such pointless brand loyalty. It seems most people who work in the industry (or who are old enough to understand the total impact a Chapter 7 would cause on a large amount of people) don't want any bad to happen to anyone. I root for all the airlines to succeed... if only everyone else would do the same.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 26):
But it is not so important that airlines should be permitted to continue unsustainable business practices.

Since you apparently know the solution to US Airways' woes, perhaps you should offer your services to them?

"Seventeen year-old Airliners.net armchair CEO seeks employment at ailing carrier with solutions to said carrier's problems."

captaink

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:20 pm

HEHE this is a funny thread. Everyone knows it is ridiculous to think that US would all of a sudden liquidate, especially around summer. But at the same time, you still see postings of time frames, maybe after Labour Day, etc etc.

US like all others is fighting a seemingly loosing battle, but they are not guaranteed to be the first US major to liquidate if anyone does. They still have cash, thus, time to try to rectify the situation somehow.
There is something special about planes....

b777a340fan

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Why do A.netters have to get on their high horse and pretend that they're better than everyone else. Okay, the claim that US may fall (which, let's face it, is a possibility) is a bit of a stretch, but it does not warrant the rude comments that many of you posted. If you don't have anything nice or respectful, then there's the "X" button on top of your window that can make it all go away.

Here is what happened with Aloha couple months ago:

"If you have a ticket on Aloha for April 1st through 3rd, 2008 (and on Hawaii-Mainland flights March 31), you can stand by on Hawaiian Airlines flights, free of charge. Hawaiian Air has added 6,000 interisland seats in an attempt to accommodate as many passengers as possible, but cannot guarantee everyone a seat that fits their travel plans.

United had a code-sharing agreement with Aloha Airlines. That means it sold tickets to flights actually operated by Aloha, and vice versa. United says it will do its best to rebook all passengers who bought their tickets through United. It answers questions here.

If you don't wish to be accommodated by another airline, you should contact your travel agent or credit card company for a refund. You can also do that if you are forced to purchase a ticket on another airline to complete your travel. (Unfortunately, if you paid for a ticket by cash or check, you have to file with the bankruptcy court.)"

Here is what happened with ATA couple months ago:

Southwest Airlines said it will honor any tickets issued through its system on ATA codeshare flights via its own scheduled flights, or give refunds. Those with questions regarding the codeshare flights via Southwest should contact the airline at 800-308-5037.

Northwest Airlines said it will honor ATA tickets until May 3 for a $100 fee per leg for flights to/from Hawaii and Cancun.

Otherwise, if you paid by credit card, immediately contact your card company for a refund. It will be up to them as to whether you’ll get your money back.

If you paid by cash or check, you can file a claim for a full or partial refund by submitting a claim against ATA’s Chapter 11 court proceedings online, but chances are you’ll only get a small percentage of what you paid for the ticket, if anything at all, once the airline is liquidated."

So basically, if hypothetically that scenario were to happen: contact travelocity to see if they could rebook you; contact your credit card company to get a refund, most offer some sort of travel insurance; buy travel insurace now, it'll cost you a little, but that would protect against bankruptcies and shut downs and such... also, pre-arrangements may be made for ticketed passengers. That's what you can do to calm your fears a little.

eugdog

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Why do some people get annoyed when I suggested that US Airways is in trouble. I made it very clear the source I gave for this information (Bloomberg). The information about mimimum passenger fares to break even come from the Arizona Tribune (from a link from this website discuss the fall in share price of US Airways). All the rumours and facts I hear about US Airways come from this website and links to to it!

With oil MAY be rising to $150 it is foolish to think there is NO danger.

But in fairness I concede that the summer quarter is unlikely to be the time for a collapse because that is the busiest and most profitable time.

I am concerned but not completely resigned to US airways failing.

The information given by B777 A340 was extremely useful - thanks alot.

[Edited 2008-06-16 09:49:40]

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Quoting B777a340fan (Reply 30):
If you don't have anything nice or respectful, then there's the "X" button on top of your window that can make it all go away.

Thanks for the advice. But this is a discussion forum. If you don't like what the opinions of other members are, tough luck. You too have an X to click, sir.

TIA

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:54 pm

I am reliuctant to book hotels or car hire until I know for sure I am going!

Why are you reluctant to book hotels and rental car? Even if you don't end up going, you can still cancel your hotel and car rental reservations later on and your credit card doesn't get charged. A lot of hotels in the US allow cancellations until 6pm on the date of arrival.

nkops

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:05 pm

Can anyone help me

I think your best bet is to not worry about it too much, and just enjoy your vacation... if it happens, deal with it then, but like several have said, chances are it won't happen during the summer season...

Have fun in Tampa or wherever your final destination may be.
 Wink
:evil:

flight152

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:08 pm

You're right. I'm sure that if US went under tomorrow we would be SO concerned about your ticket to Tampa and not the 30,000+ some employees that could loose their jobs.

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:15 pm

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 35):
I'm sure that if US went under tomorrow we would be SO concerned about your ticket to Tampa and not the 30,000+ some employees that could loose their jobs.

Indeed.

But, it's the employee's fault for working for US Airways in the first place. At least, that's what some of the pundits here on this forum would say.

Yeah, that was sarcasm.

LGAtoIND

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 pm

US Airways is going NOWHERE in the next month. Don't worry.

b777a340fan

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:35 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 32):
Thanks for the advice. But this is a discussion forum. If you don't like what the opinions of other members are, tough luck. You too have an X to click, sir.

This is a discussion forum on the PRESENTED TOPIC. How does your selfish comments "it's your vacation, your ticket, your credit card" going to advance the discussion of the OT? You could talk about about cars, eggs, fish, yes, it's a discussion, but how does it help?

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting B777a340fan (Reply 38):
How does your selfish comments "it's your vacation, your ticket, your credit card" going to advance the discussion of the OT?

The OP is an accountant for God's sake. I'm sure he is aware of the procedures to go through if US goes under.

Personally, I think this was all just flame bait originally anyway. This entire thread is rubbish.

Cadet57

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Boy, in the 6 hours since the thread started, it went... nowhere.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

atrude777

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Put it this way...

The OP posted a very valid concern, tell me how many of you actually saw F9 filing CH11, or ATA liquidating and whatnot, I mean truly saw it? I have worked in the industry and was shocked myself.

US Airways is in big trouble as is every other carrier, he has a valid concern about US Airways.

Will US Airways file CH11 and liquidate by then, my guess is most likely Not. However, I would not say "never" as all the oil has to do is climb at an unsteady rate before it is to much for all the airlines.

While we should be concerned about the employees yes, however most passengers don't really care about the employees and just want the flight to be on time, cheap and get there. I don't think being a member of a.net we should put a disclaimer of "btw I am thinking of the employees as I complain about the flight"

Not neccesary, just assume being a member of a.net we know employees exists and are certainly in our thoughts we decipher the industry problem and complaints.

With that said, if US Airways was an option I would book them without any doubt and if they go BK and liquidate, your CC will take care of it.

Have a great trip and enjoy the flights.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

varig_dc10

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm

If it fails before July 20 will I be rebooked on another airline or do I just get my money back. I booked by credit card on travelocity. I am reliuctant to book hotels or car hire until I know for sure I am going!

There has been quite a bit of talk about airlines in the US going under lately. So I thought it was a reasonable question.

Quoting Philb (Reply 4):
You say you are an accountant and you don't know the answer to this? Try reading the terms and conditions of both your booking and your credit card.

I wonder if the Aloha or ATA terms and conditions mentioned anything about getting free standby tickets on Hawaian or transfers onto United, Southwest and United etc.

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 35):
You're right. I'm sure that if US went under tomorrow we would be SO concerned about your ticket to Tampa and not the 30,000+ some employees that could loose their jobs.

Talk about going over the top. Where did Eugdog say that he is unconcerned about US Airways staff?

varig_dc10

aircatalonia

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:09 pm

If you feel better I have a trasncontinental ticket booked with them AUG12 so if they fail, you fail, I fail and we all fail toghether  

[Edited 2008-06-16 11:09:59]

ScottB

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 39):
The OP is an accountant for God's sake. I'm sure he is aware of the procedures to go through if US goes under.

I would not presume that an accountant in the U.K. would know much about the vagaries of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code and how credit card charges from defunct carriers are handled. In the E.U., airlines have simply shut down without warning leaving passengers stranded at airports.

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 9):

Do you think this is even remotely relevant to the topic?

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 21):
US isn't going anywhere this summer - the summer season is traditionally the strongest revenue quarter for the airlines, so it's extremely unlikely they go anywhere before Labor Day. The interesting part will be after Labor Day when the business travelers start to return to the skies in a stronger force - these are often the elite frequent flyers and the effects of some of their moves to devalue Dividend Miles will be seen at this point (whether it be no effect or a big loss of high-yielding passengers is unknown right now).

Wow, someone who addresses the poster in a way that isn't flamebait!

Quoting B777a340fan (Reply 30):

And someone else that's helpful!

vincewy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Now I have UA tickets booked for Sept exam seminar for my job, I'll be in even greater risk than the rest of you guys.

cloudy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:37 pm

People on this board like to say it's no big deal for customers when an airline goes belly up. Keep in mind that they are ONLY CONSIDERING THE VALUE OF YOUR TICKET, and ignoring the many other things that can go wrong when you are caught without an airline. The fact of the matter is that its a NIGHTMARE for most caught in this situation.

Indeed, You wouldn't loose much value out of the ticket. All but at most $50 per ticket is recoverable because airlines are mandated to accept a failing airline's tickets. But you would put up with a lot of hastle. The real pain comes in actually rebooking - because a lot of people would be in the same situation and their arn't that many empty seats on most flights. There are also plenty of other ways being caught in this situation can cost you money. It is highly probable that you would have to change your dates and times, and that would have an affect on your hotel, rental car, etc. All that would have to be rebooked, probably at greater expense. And you would be less likely to get what you were originally looking for.

That being said, most of the airlines are in trouble. But not immediate trouble. The real shakeout will come after a year or two, if fuel prices don't go down drastically. It is difficult to predict that far our who will succeed and who will fail. There are several other airlines that are arguably in worse shape then USAir. The best thing is to keep your non-airline travel plans flexible, so that it is easier to rebook if your ride goes bust.

CaptSkibi

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

I am reliuctant to book hotels or car hire until I know for sure I am going

As for helping you, I would suggest you book your hotel. Most hotels allow a cancellation (with no penalty) up until 6:00 PM local on the day of arrival. Just be sure that you verify something of the sort:

Quote:
Cancellation Policy:
If you wish to cancel, please do so by 6pm, hotel local time, on the day of arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.

Book your hotel so you can make sure you can get into a nice place.

I can't remember rental car cancellation policies right now.
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

jacobin777

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:39 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 21):
US isn't going anywhere this summer - the summer season is traditionally the strongest revenue quarter for the airlines,

While that is true, many of the tickets are booked in advance and the carrier would still probably be losing money.

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 45):
ow I have UA tickets booked for Sept exam seminar for my job, I'll be in even greater risk than the rest of you guys.

While UA is one of the more "weaker" incumbents, I think UA won't be going anywhere. Certainly not by September. IMHO, you should be ok.

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 41):

The OP posted a very valid concern, tell me how many of you actually saw F9 filing CH11, or ATA liquidating and whatnot, I mean truly saw it? I have worked in the industry and was shocked myself.

checkmark ..add SX..

Will US Airways file CH11 and liquidate by then, my guess is most likely Not.

checkmark 

While we should be concerned about the employees yes, however most passengers don't really care about the employees and just want the flight to be on time, cheap and get there. I don't think being a member of a.net we should put a disclaimer of "btw I am thinking of the employees as I complain about the flight"

checkmark 
"Up the Irons!"

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Will US Airways file CH11 and liquidate by then, my guess is most likely Not.

Liquidation occurs in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, not Chapter 11.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 48):
add SX

Your point being what?

Okay, we'll see Skybus to that list. While we're at it, we'll throw in Champion Air, Eos, MaxJet, Alpi Eagles, UK International, Aero, City Star, Focus Air, Big Sky, Adam Air, Boston-Maine, GB, Freedom Air, Skyway, Oasis HK, Nationwide, Euromanx, Silverjet, Air Midwest, Ocean Air, blah, blah, blah...

None of these third tier companies compare to a major airline such as US Airways. The effects of a major airline collapsing in the U.S. would be felt for months, if not years.