highflyer44

Airline Loyalty... Is It Possible?

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:42 am

Hi all,

what is it that makes you choose one airline over the other? Are you loyal to a particular carrier? what features of the airline product are more relevant to you when evaluating airline choices?

I am conducting a research project and would appreciate if could take part.

http://www.getcounted.co.uk

It only takes a few minutes to complete and your contribution will be invaluable.

Thank you

trekster

RE: Airline Loyalty... Is It Possible?

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am

Done.

Good luck with the Project!
Where does the time go???

wilco737

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:49 am

Done as well.

Hope I could help you.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

highflyer44

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:49 pm

thank you all for taking part.

does anyone believe in airline loyalty or is it FFP points that hold you to one carrier?

as a member of KLM Flying Blue loyalty scheme I have to admit that, because of those accumulated miles, I always look at KLM's website/deals first before considering any other airline despite the fact that I hardly ever used those points... I don't really consider myself loyal to KLM but psychologically I think the FFP plays a role when I have to evaluate which airline to choose from...

has anyone got any similar/different experience?

rogerbcn

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Hola Highflyer44!

Done with it.

Best luck!

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Travelling is Living)

PITingres

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Done, hope it helps.

One comment: the questionnaire might be missing some factors relevant to LCC flying, in particular price and quality *predictability*. Most of the majors are addicted to bizarre (IMHO) pricing schemes that can lead to wild variations in price, whereas most LCC's have simpler pricing with much less maximum-to-minimum variation. If I'm in a hurry I will always book an LCC (route permitting) simply because I know that the fare will be within reason, even if not the cheapest.

Quoting Highflyer44 (Reply 3):
does anyone believe in airline loyalty or is it FFP points that hold you to one carrier?

Loyalty, as in to a sports team? I think that's extremely rare in travelers, at least those who are actually paying money for the ticket. FF points probably become more relevant in proportion to the amount of flying done. (I'll note that those years that I was elite in an FF program, the most important benefit in my opinion was the ability to use the short line thru the Gestapo at the airport.)
Fly, you fools! Fly!

ipilot777

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Done! It was interesting!

Good Luck!
Live Life In The Sky!!!

GST

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm a university student in Belfast, but come from north England. For my flying needs to get there and back every now and again I only really have 3 options that fly from Manchester; Easyjet, BMI, or Flybe. Of those the latter 2 fly to belfast City. I almost always choose flybe because I would almost certainly fly on a Q400, and those aircraft are sexy as can be! Flybe is also cheap which is good for students  Silly.

henkybaby

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Done.

Good luck with the study.
Wherever you go, there you are!

deltaguy767

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:13 pm

I just finished your survey and I wish you the best of luck with you studies. May I ask if this for a particular degree from college? What field do you eventually want to work in?

Cheers from BDL,  wave 
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

highflyer44

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting DeltaGuy767 (Reply 9):
I just finished your survey and I wish you the best of luck with you studies. May I ask if this for a particular degree from college? What field do you eventually want to work in?

Thanks for completing the survey! yes, this is a Master degree in Air Transport Management (MSc), the survey is part of my final thesis project, which is due to finish in September. I am into marketing, fleet planning or operations areas, broadly speaking of course, analytical areas within the airline business. It is only a matter of which opportunity arises first...  Smile

zkeoj

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:27 pm

Done! Good luck with your Masters  Smile

Cheers
micha

zkeoj

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Quoting Highflyer44 (Reply 3):

Maybe not too much airline loyalty, as more Alliance loyalty in today's world. I always try to fly Star Alliance carriers. I equally like BA and CX, but since I usually just make the 50K mark, I keep with one alliance (where possible) in order to keep Gold Status (it's worth a lot for me to have lounge access on stops on flights from AKL to Europe, and have a shower, food, Internet access, etc... )
Airline loyalty? Hmm, I am UA Mileage plus member (Premier Executive), and the last flights I did on UA is a few years back. So I am not sure if the FFP is linked to *airline* loyalty - rather to Alliance loyalty. having said that, I will be back on UA for a few flights this year  Smile I would switch to NZ's FFP, but it stinks (i.e. you need many more miles to earn enough "Air Point Dollars" to have Gold Status, and you need more to redeem miles). But I LOVE flying them - always happy on good old NZ!

Cheerio
micha

highflyer44

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Quoting ZKEOJ (Reply 12):
So I am not sure if the FFP is linked to *airline* loyalty - rather to Alliance loyalty.

That's a good point Micha, loyalty may be more related with feelings whereas airline selection certainly involve a number of other factors...it's difficult to say that one is loyal to a carrier regardless of what the actual product really offers as a dog might be loyal to the owner or somebody for a football/rugby/basketball team...

however, as previous literature argues, FFPs are the glue that hold the Alliances together... would the importance of Alliances be the same without FFPs?

any thoughts??

tennis69

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 am

Just completed your survey and found it interesting. Good luck.

Alitalia744

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Added my results to help you out.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

egmcman

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Done good luck with your project