SpeedBird10

AF Upgrades - Check In Or Not?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:02 pm

I will soon be traveling on a transatlantic flight with AF. My mom is in First but I am in Tempo. Should I check-in 30hrs in advance or would it increase my chance of being upgraded if I waited until the airport?

JJJ

RE: AF Upgrades - Check In Or Not?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Quoting Speedbird10 (Thread starter):
I will soon be traveling on a transatlantic flight with AF. My mom is in First but I am in Tempo. Should I check-in 30hrs in advance or would it increase my chance of being upgraded if I waited until the airport?

The chances of being upgraded in AF are slim at best, even for very frequent flyers. I'd reserve a good seat online earlier, then try the 'my mom is travelling on business' trick. You might even get the upgrade.

Also if you're on Tempo and your mom is on First there's still L'espace affairs in the middle (unless you meant your mom is travelling biz rather than first).

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Maybe you should ask your mom for the upgrade, chances are better for that IMHO.  Wink
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

FlySSC

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:28 pm

If your only "good" reason for being upgraded is that our Mom is travelling in First, then you should, as JJJ mentioned, you'd better Check-in in advance and chose a good seat in Y.

flpuck6

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi,

Always a better idea to check-in online.

You never know what kind of situation may arise, overbooking, for example. Even though your Mom is in First ... though I would hope they would make a little more of an effort for you.
Bonjour Chef!

zrs70

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Not sure why the mother in first would hold any leverage. Can someone enlighten?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

henkybaby

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 am

Uogrades will not happen because mum is in First. Otherwise that would be one hell of a top tip to get a free F ticket: only one of the travellers will have to buy an F ticket. No chance in hell.

Upgrades are ONLY given when the flight is oversold and then by status and fare class. So the Platinum member will be upgraded first, gold second, etc. They will even split up couples if only one has status.

Next a 2 class upgrade (Y to F) is not allowed per the airlines policy. So "I would like to sit next to my mother" is not even possible. Unless she is willing to downgrade to C, but it looks like your mother likes to spend some quiet time in First alone... 

So, in summary: don't get your hopes up. You may be upgraded to business IF you are Platinum or Gold AND you are on a full fare Y ticket AND the flight is oversold. Otherwise: enjoy Y!

Edit: upgrades almost ALWAYS happen at the gate and never ever ask for one. The best way of not getting an upgrade is requesting an upgrade. If you are very lucky your mother can try (if F is very empty for instance) to ask the purser on board if you can join her. That is not technically an upgrade, since you are in Y for take off and landing and your ticket still is Y. She needs to do some serious grovelling though and considering she bought you a Y... Chances are slimmer if she is travelling on an award ticket by the way.

[Edited 2008-06-24 03:38:54]
Wherever you go, there you are!

Shamrock_747

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 pm

At my carrier, we occasionally have a parent/parents travelling in a premium cabin and a young child, who needs parental care, travelling in the economy cabin. In this situation, we ask the parent(s) to pay for a premium ticket for their child, or alternatively downgrade and sit in economy.