ushermittwoch

Your Worst Immigration Experience

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:57 am

Hi!

After reading WILCO's post in http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...neral_aviation/read.main/4038467/, I was reminded of my recent experience in EWR after arriving from CGN.

For once it was pretty empty at EWR's immigration facility, which I found surprising, but nevertheless nice. This was until I came to the "friendly" immigration officer. I was asked how I paid for my ticket as a grad student. Well, I have two jobs on the side and seem to get lucky when it comes to receiving airline vouchers.  Smile Then he pulled out a list and said that my name was on it and I was wanted in the US for dealing drugs. Then when I requested to look at the sheet, he covered it up and made me turn around. Then when I turned back, he marked the sheet of paper and made me turn around again. Now I was getting a little upset. Then he commented on me being a bit distraught and then saying that that makes me look even guiltier. After flipping through my passport he said that numerous stamps from Latin Americe made my case look even worse. Then, all of a sudden, he told me, that he was just joking, told me to get my prints and picture taken and wished me a pleasant stay.
I must say that I was not shaved that day, but other than that I would describe my appearance as "business casual", so no real need to think that there might actually be something skecthy about me.
This just makes me so mad. Those people have their jobs because of foreigners (and Americans coming back home, but without "us" there would be far less need) and we come to the US to spend our money there to keep the economy in a better state than it would be in without us. On my return flight the US citizens, of course, got treated courteously by the German immigration officers, no questions asked.

Fell free to share your experiences.  Smile
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

caspritz78

RE: Your Worst Immigration Experience

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 pm

In this case you should remember his badge number and report this behavior to his superior. Immigration is not the place to make jokes about terrorist or drug dealers. Not by the passenger and definitely not by the officer himself.

rscaife1682

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Quoting Ushermittwoch (Thread starter):
I must say that I was not shaved that day, but other than that I would describe my appearance as "business casual", so no real need to think that there might actually be something skecthy about me.

Not sure what this means....If it was a slow day what ever I say but I can see how some people might get upset.

RYAN
FLTOPS

TomFoolery

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:32 pm

Since I often need to account for the dates of leaving and entering the country, I like to have my passport stamped, especially on trips starting in, or terminating in the US. This gives me the dates in a nice little stamp form.

So one Christmas day, I was transiting AMS, and I asked for a stamp. AMS was quite empty, especially for flights leaving europe. I woke up at 04:10, and wasnt firing on all cylinders yet.

Well the 2 officers in the booth were in a jolly mood for the morning, and I guess it was a slow morning, so in exchange for a stamp, they instructed me to sing a christmas song.

I was a bot confused, to say the least, but after some thought, I started singing, but only after the 2 officers agreeed to sing along. It was surreal, but a bit akward. I got my stamp. I just wish I was a bit more alert to enjoy it more.

Sure, some might see it as harassment, but I can see it for the good humor that it was. I try not to take too many things too seriously. Maybe breaking the rules is unprofessional, but what do say to the FA who goes up to First Class, and brings you (Joe Economy) a glass of nice Merlot, rather than the cabernet that nobody likes? Unprofessional? Its all relative.

At least you don't need to sing in the US. Yet.

tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

planewasted

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:39 pm

My worst experience is when i landed at Cairns Australia and the power was out at the airport. Took a long time to get trough immigration.
At the passport check they used a flashlight.  Smile

PanHAM

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:43 pm

EWR usually is the best and most efficient point of entry, far better than JFK. At least that is my personal experience. It usually helps to stay on the line until asked to step forward, say good morning or evening in a friendly voice and quickly respond to questions, should there be any.

Always bad is the experince coming back home, the German border police is simply not interested to strictly sort between EU and "other" citizens. I don't know why the have the signs up on the booth when a non EU citizen still can go to an EU booth and does not get turned back. instead holding up EU citizens clearance. This can be quite a hassle at the C section of FRA with only a few clearance points.

That is handled much better and in the interest of their own citizens in the US ort the UK.
powered by Eierlikör

MAS777

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 pm

LGW - arriving back from a weekend in prague (i have been a UK resident since 1981) - i was quizzed with ridiculous questions on my return. I was even asked how to spell my occupation and when i laughed - was threatened with deportation. shocking... he was definitely having a BAD day...

LAX - last oct - one single 777 inbound from LHR to clear immigration at UA's own terminal. There were no other flights to clear but it took 1.5hrs before i got to the front of the queue. fellow passengers started fighting halfway through this wait due to the stress of missing connections - US Immigration couldn't give a cahoot and seemed to just slow down even more by closing all but 2 desks and making those involved go back to the end of the queue.

brilondon

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm

My worst immigration experience was arriving back into Canada at YYZ. The custom officers were rude and at times incoherent with their questions. This both when departing or arriving in YYZ.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

Italianflyer

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 pm

I was working crew member on a layover in YWG. Was a long five or six leg day and we were looking forward to making contact with our pillows. I presented my landing card and passport and the officer looked at the stamps and asked why I travel so much (HELLO...uniform?).
They cleared the other crew members but told me to remain. I was taken aside and my bags were searched, my computer & iPod were turned on and they poked around in file folders. I was given a deep pat down search. Twenty minutes later or so, they said I was free to enter...and next time do not forget to put the zip code on my landing card ....I was p**sed  biting .

Nightmare #2....I was Purser on a NRT/GUM six day trip and one of my crewmembers was detained for TEN HOURS @ NRT. She is an Egyptian citizen and a smoker. Her offense was that she said she had declared two packs of unopened cigarettes with her when she actually had four.

I have always been creeped out by clearing immigration in the PRC @ PEK. They take out passports as we deplane and hold us in a room, then call us out one by one. It was a bit intimidating. I have not done a PEK in a few years, thank God....are they still doing that?

FlySSC

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:23 pm

The worst ever as a Crew : HAV

PlymSpotter

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

I was asked how I paid for my ticket as a grad student.

Mine was definately my arrival into MSP a couple of years ago on one of NW's final DC-10 flights, and I can really relate to your comment above! I was grilled about just about everything, the lady flatly refused to believe I was just visiting the US for a weekend for pleasure, and even though her superiors eventually gave me the OK, she was still muttering about me being some sort of spy or secret agent and did not believe me at all  silly 

If you're inclined, the full details are in the trip report which I made: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/113342

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Hywel

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:05 pm

I had a pretty bad experience at ORD on my way to SEA last December (real shame you have to clear immigration at your first point of entry to the USA).

Having not shaved for a few days, carrying a ridiculously large laptop bag stuffed with random crap and looking like your average drug smuggling student, I was singled out and questioned for a good 30 min (and I nearly missed my connecting flight because of it!) I was the last to board my connecting flight and if I was 2 min later, they would have closed the gate  Wow!

My answers didn't go down particularly well... I was telling the truth but everything I said sounded cheeky.

Them: How on earth do you expect to survive on $1 for 4 weeks here? (I was only carrying a $1 note left over from a trip in 2002!)
Me: Well I never use cash - I have my debit card and 2 credit cards on me. I'm just going to use those and find an ATM if the place doesn't accept card.
Them: How much money do you have in your checking account?
Me: What's a checking account?
Them: [blank stare] Don't try to be smart with us kid.
Me: [Innocently] Do you mean a current account? I think it might be called something different in the UK...
Them: The account your debit card is linked to...
Me: Oh right, well it's at least $2000, but I'm not sure of the exact amount. [I converted £ to $ thinking it would please them!]
Them: You use the Dollar in England now do you?
Me: Huh?
Them: Is your bank account US based?
Me: No
Them: So how many POUNDS do you have in your checking account?
Me: I have at least £1000... I just said $2000 so you'd understand how much that was in American money...
Them: Don't do our job kid.

Them: Which states will you be visiting?
Me: Umm, let me try and remember... Washington obviously, umm Oregon, Arizona, Utah and Nevada.
Them: You aren't visiting Illinois huh?
Me: Don't think so no.
Them: [sarcastic face] You're in Illinois now kid.
Me: Well yes, but I'm not going to visit there... I'm just currently here for 2 hours changing plane. Besides, your question suggested future visits... which states WILL you be visiting.
Them: [pissed off big time] Cut the crap kid and stop the big mouth.

They're just 2 examples of an exchange between me and the anal retentive guy interrogating me! I hated being called kid at age 19... the worst part of the whole ordeal? The guy was Mexican  Wink

Just some of the questions I was asked:

a) What notebook are you carrying?

Then...

b) How can you afford a MacBook Pro as a student? (someone was jealous...)
c) Why didn't you fly to Seattle direct? (c'mon... this is just ridiculous)
d) So you're visiting your Uncle huh? What's he doing in the States? (none of their business)

then after explaining...

e) Why did he emigrate here? (I cannot give an answer for that! It wasn't me who emigrated!)

I wasn't left very happy by the end of it  Angry

N6168E

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm

My worst one was this past December in JFK after arriving from BKK with my wife and daughter. At Immigrations, the agent cleared them and told me that they had a problem with me. My name was on the watch list (It's a common Irish name) and that I would have to go with the officer . We went to a holding room that had 4 or 5 officers working at a desk. I was told that they would have to clear me through 7 or 8 different departments in Washington before I could be admitted. Meanwhile, my wife and daughter were stuck between Immigrations and Customs with our luggage. They were told that cell phones would be confiscated, so they could not contact the person waiting for us. After a 2+ hour wait, I was finally cleared.

jgarrido

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:31 pm

I had just flown 10 or so hours across the other pond (nrt to lax). Once we get on the ground we're told we need to wait about because our gate is still in use by a departing flight which has not pushed back yet. We aren't early, the other flight is late. We end up waiting about 30-40 mins. Once we parked at the gate we are informed immigration isn't open yet and we need to wait another 30-40 mins (why they weren't open after our initial 30 min delay IDK). Finally they start let us off the plane. I'm just getting to the front of the line of econ passengers mixing with the 1st classers exiting the cabin when a FA steps in front of me to let the entire upstairs of the 744 unload with me mere feet from freedom, (foiled again). Once I get off the plane and into the immigration line there's 1 agent actually helping people with about 4 taking their sweet time adjusting their chairs getting comfy before getting started. You'd think they were running though a check list to go flying or drive a semi-truck or something. Other then that everything went smoothly. Until I tried to get though security in next terminal for my American Eagle hop down to SAN with a NW boarding pass, but that's another story.

Even before reading everyone's stories I knew experience would be pretty mild in the scheme of things, but was pretty annoying at the time.

I know I'd be pretty agitated if what happened to the rest of you happened to me. I don't know how you keep your cool. It reminds of of a friend of mine while I was in the air force. His parents had emigrated from Vietnam and been naturalized before he was born. After 9/11 he was interrogated by OSI (the air force secret police) on what HE was doing in this country, why his parents left Vietnam, who his parents associated with in Vietnam etc.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:34 pm

I wouldn't call it "bad" but in '92, TWA LGW-STL I was not allowed to proceed through customs/immigration in STL for about 5 minutes while the officer verified that I wasn't someone wanted by Interpol, whom I apparently resembled. When I asked what the other person was wanted for all I could get out of him was "smuggling".

I wasn't stripped searched or anything, and they did get a photograph of my "twin" in a few minutes and the officer compared the photo with my face and after a few seconds said "Close, but no cigar, welcome home."

And that was that.

Wonder if they ever caught the guy?
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

planenutz

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Arriving at YVR (where I have many friends) from SFO. I was sent to secondary screening where the immigration agent wanted to know why I visited Canada so often. Searched all my baggage, and then wanted to know the names and contact information for the friends I was visiting. The agent(s) then left leaving me at the table with the contents of my baggage strewn about. After returning, they asked for me to empty my pockets. They searched through my wallet and found an old recpeit from when I payed a parking ticket fee in SF. They then proceeded to ask about a dozen questions pertaining to whether I was a criminal, had ever been in prison, or arrested, if I have court procedings against me in the USA, etc, etc. They then left again leaving me at the table. Upon their return, the one agent said I was suspicious, and that my precise reason(s) for coming to Canada could not be established. I said that I was only there for a long weekend, had planneed on doing some shopping, meeting with friends and having a good time. The two agents then looked at each other, and then said "exits to your left, bye".
Not all who wander are lost....

PITingres

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 8):
I have always been creeped out by clearing immigration in the PRC @ PEK. They take out passports as we deplane and hold us in a room, then call us out one by one. It was a bit intimidating. I have not done a PEK in a few years, thank God....are they still doing that?

I was on a trip to China last month -- the whole process seemed pretty normal. (EWR-PEK). So I guess they've stopped that business.

Most bad experiences seem to be one official who had piss instead of milk on his or her Cheerios at breakfast. My only really unpleasant experience was entering Barbados, which I've done problem-free many times before and since. Some young woman officer didn't like me for some unknown reason; first it was because I had filled my card out in the wrong color ink (which I had of course done many times before), then she didn't like my printing, then she wanted to argue about the exact address of my hotel and whether it was in Rockley or Hastings, and finally she wanted to see my return ticket. Well, it was an e-ticket, but she wasn't having any of it, so we had to send off to the airline gate agents to print up a receipt and return itinerary. It took a supervisor to get me through. Fortunately I only wasted about 3 hours.

I had one US official in EWR creep me out as I was returning from somewhere or other; he kept asking for directions to where I lived. My answer was pretty vague at first, because I assumed he didn't know the area. I would say "it's near XXX" and he would say "where near XXX?" Turns out that he used to live about 2 miles from me, but it might have been a little less spooky if he had said that up front.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Beaucaire

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Twenty years ago going from Marseille to Algiers on a ferry-boat with my car ( I was staying in Algiers for 6 months..)
Customs were looking for Algerian Dinar's that everybody bought cheaply in France at 20% of the official value at the Algiers national Bank.
Of course I also had Dinars bought cheaply and had the instinct to throw them overboard (about 1200$ worth )
Everybody who had a car was requested to leave the ship in Algiers without luggage ,was strip-searched at the customs office and could retrieve his car 24 hours later-dismantled.
Those who were found with black Dinars in their possession ended up in jail.
So far for my hottest experience with Algerian customs ...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

yellowtail

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:58 pm

My wife traveled thru MIA a few days before me, so my INS officer in MIA asked me "So I see your wife came through a few days ago..where was she going?" My reply "sir, that is an inappropriate question unrelated to whether or not I have the proper documentation to enter the USA" ....He also wanted to know all about my brotthers work visa. I kept replying "sir, also not related to my documentation elibility" Then he proceeded on to tell me that I could not have dual citizenship to which I replied "the country of my birth and citizenship all allow dual nationality, which is not the concern of the USA" he was grilling me.

This was after standing in the immigration line for 3 hours, then having Pablo Montero (a mexican singer) and his posse be allowed to jump in front of me.

Not a good day at MIA, but it usually never is.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Burner71

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Oh man it was 2003 flying DFW to YVR.

We were hit by a bad storm as we taxied for takeoff so we had to wait on the taxi way for clearance, like 3 hours later we took off.

By the time we got there I was beat and it was 2am at the airport.

When I got to the agent, he started asking me questions real fast about what work I did, why I was here etc, etc and my answers were slow.

He put a big red X on my form and sent me through.

When I picked up my luggage another officer asked for my form.
Then he led me to a back room where I sat for 30 minutes.

They came back and grilled me about a speeding ticket I had gotten a few weeks before and asked me why I was fleeing the US?

I was like what? Are you kidding me?

They tore my bag apart searching for something who knows.
Finally letting me leave about an hour later.

rogerbcn

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Hola!

AMS-SEA Dec. 27th 2006.

Arrived at SEA and the passport check was empty, I was the second one on line. They took my passport and asked me how long I'd be in the USA. I replied just overnight as the day after I would be catching the flight to YYC. He did not make any further comments and let me go but he made some sort of sign to the customs officer as I went down the escalator to pick up my luggage he was waiting for me and started asking questions.
We waited for the luggage and once in my hand he asked me to accompany him to one of the counters.
While another officer was emptying all my belongings from my suitcase, he kept asking questions like: 'Why didn't you fly straight to Canada?' 'Who paid for your trip?' 'Show me the tickets and credit cards' My tickets, and credit cards were taken away by a third officer. All my clothes plus the belongings of my wallet: money, business cards, credit cards were lying spread above the counter. Then, they asked me to follow them to a search room. I was put against the wall, legs apart and arms facing the wall; told not to raise my head as one of the officers consciously frisked me. It was a conscious search, let me tell you. Once outside I was told to wait when they came back with all my papers and cards they offered me some information about US customs on leaflet who informed me of all this was going on for my security and keeping America a safe country. It was not over yet. They asked me why I had so many frequent traveller's cards, and if the money I was carrying, about 300€, was Spanish money. Then they took me again to the search room and asked me to remove all my clothes.... asked me if I had a girlfriend in the US (yeah! the right moment for this question). Put my clothes on and I asked to go to the toilet, they escorted me there and asked not to flush it, at least they allowed me to close the door. After having a look inside all my belongings were given back to me and after an hour I was 'Welcomed into the US' by a senior officer to whom I told him I thought they had taken it a little too far.
Since then I have not transited, nor visited the US... and I plan not to as much as I can.
Salut,
Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Travelling is Living)

fxramper

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:50 pm

ience in EWR

11/01, LIS-EWR. I hadn't slept in 30 hrs and was harassed by a couple officers that thought I looked 'worrisome' as they put it. After they asked if I had ever flown before, I showed them a passport full of country stamps. I guess I can't blame them for doing their job, especially a few short weeks after 9/11.

RussianJet

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting MAS777 (Reply 6):
(i have been a UK resident since 1981) - i was quizzed with ridiculous questions on my return

What kind of 'ridiculous' questions were they? Although it sounds like he was out of order and had a teribble attitude, you should appreciate that just because you are a long-term resident doesn't mean you shouldn't ever be asked anything. Oddly enough, the bad guys seem to quite like pretending to be permanent residents, can you hazard a guess as to why? Also, residency still has rules and conditions attached and the officer is within his rights to ensure you abide by those.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

samalot1

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:25 pm

I travel frequently to the US on business and for pleasure . ATL must be the worst entry point in the whole of the USA ! What I fail to understand is why the immigration authorities there are so woefully understaffed . They know how many international flights are scheduled on a particular day and how many passengers have boarded those flights . Why oh why does it always take 2 hours to clear immigration ?
I have had 2 run ins with immigration officers . Once in EWR , they couldnt understand the fact I was only going to be in the US for 24 hours , a comment was made that I sure must have a hot date ! I thought this was New York humour , I was escorted to a room where my passport , wallet , and airline ticket were confiscated . After 1 hour I was released with no explanation .

The second time was in ATL , I was questioned about the frequency of my visits to the US , explaining that the company I work for is headquartered in ATL . I made the mistake of responding to a question about when was my last visit by indicating that the immigration officer should look in his computer as all my comings and goings would be recorded there , wrong answer ! I was held for another 30 minutes being questioned about various topics ranging from which currency I received my salary to my US manager 's cell phone number .

What really bugs me is if the situation was reversed and the EU made US citizens have their finger prints taken and also be photographed , there would be an outcry .

I have however learnt my lesson and make sure that I know exactly the dates of my last trip to the US and answer to any questions that may be posed by the welcoming face of the United States .

mark5388916

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Kind of the opposite of your horrible stories, I acturally have a good one. LAX-LHR-CDG on BA I was travelling with my marching band and what a surpirese, hardly any of our luggage made the transit at LHR... So we had everyone filling out BA Claim forms (all mine made it and I as the one who brought a change of clothes in my carry on...) we were stuck there for about 3 hours and our guides wouldnt let us exit baggage claim to find some restrooms! I knew there were bathrooms back past customs, so I went to the most senior looking guard on duty. Showed him my passport and boarding card from the LHR-CDG leg and explained my situation. Suprisingly enough he said go right ahead down the corrider to the restroom! On my way back he even stamped my passport because I forgot to ask for a stamp when I went through!

Mark
I Love ONT and SNA, the good So Cal Airports! URL Removed as required by mod

homadreaming

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:41 pm

I have a US passport and am an American Citizen, but I hold dual citizenship and go visit my mother who lives in Iran,we usually get together somewhere other than Iran as I cant stand it anymore...Europe, or Asia or even DXB sometimes. If I fly into EWR, Usually I get sent to a room, right next to the immigration booths...(anyone familiar with this facility?) there is usually random people from African, Middle Eastern and even once British backgrounds...there are some chairs, and some rooms and more officers... and they make you wait from anywhere between 30 minutes to over two hours (again personal experience only...) then they call me up ask me where I live (Um Bergen county NJ) what I do (Im a student! I always carry my student ID and pop it out...) then some other stupid questions, then they clear me to go (Welcome home they say...yeah, sure) its funny that they never tell me why I keep getting sent into that room but boy is it embarrassing to have an officer escort you and feel your fellow passengers look you up and and down and speculate what the heck did u do wrong, to be escorted off...

There is never an explanation but I assume it has a lot to do with my birth place being Iran...or maybe Im on some super secret list! EWRs Sh*t list! Its now a normality when I fly into EWR so I avoid flying through/to it even though its way more convenient for me(and I love CO)...interestingly this has never happened when I fly into JFK...yeah they are not nice but they treat me just like other people...I have been tempted to demand why as an American citizen Im being treated this way, coming back to my own country from somewhere thats not even considered dangerous, the raciest places would be considered IST and DXB! LOL...(as I said I do not travel into Iran) but I noticed keeping your mouth shut and doing what they say is better...I rather wait 2 hours then be detained under one of those stupid laws no one knows or have heard of...

yellowtail

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:47 pm

It never ceases to amaze me the level of detail they have on you in there computer.

BTW, my brother has triple nationality (USA, UK and BZE) and last time through customs in MIA they told him he had to surrender his US passport because it was illegal to have dual nationality....he told them "here have it, be my guest, because you can't take away my birthright!" (he was born in New Orleans  Smile The INS officer didn't appreciate his "candor" and allowed him to keep it.

Sometimes you get some really nice guys....other time you just get real a holes.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

richcandy

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi

Mine are not as bad as some of the above.

YVR

Immigration Agent - Who are you meeting in Canada?
Me - No one
Immigration Agent - Were are you staying?
Me - I don't know my partner who is at the next desk made the reservations.
Immigration Agent - I asked you who you were travelling with and you said no one!!!
Me - I am sorry I thought you said who was I meeting. (knowing that these guys have the right to put on the rubber gloves I said sorry.)

The immigration agent stamped my passport and let me into Canada. My partner went to the bathroom and I waited on the bags. A door across from the baggage belt opened and another immigration agent walked across directly to me and asked to see my passport she ask a stack of questions and then gave me the passport back. My partner returned and the bags started to arrived. Yet again the same door opened and a third agent came and asked what we were doing? then to see both our passports. Talk about welcome to Canada.

DesertAir

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:05 pm

My worst experience was in New Orleans. I was arriving in August of 1989 on an Aviateca flight from Guatemala City. The INS agents were very rude and condescending to us using very offensive Spanglish.

wilco737

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:36 pm

After reading WILCO's post in http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...neral_aviation/read.main/4038467/, I was reminded of my recent experience in EWR after arriving from CGN.

So you have read my contribution to this thread already  Wink

And I am exactly at the same place at the moment and everytime I except to see this immigration officer again. And I hope for him he'll behave  Wink

My other "bad" experience was in SFO. I was there on vacation, so no need for a Visa, but he found out that I am working for a big airline and that i need a Visa then. It took 15 minutes to convince him that I don't need a Visa when I am on vacation. I asked him to call his supervisor but he refused. For whatever reason. Maybe because he knew he was wrong Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

FlyboyOz

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 30):
My other "bad" experience was in SFO. I was there on vacation, so no need for a Visa, but he found out that I am working for a big airline and that i need a Visa then. It took 15 minutes to convince him that I don't need a Visa when I am on vacation. I asked him to call his supervisor but he refused. For whatever reason. Maybe because he knew he was wrong Big grin

Well...i went to SFO for the first time, i found out that SFO immigration officers were friendly and nice to me. They are far better than LAX

Anyways, I had EXTREMELY bad experience in the LAX immigration because they saw my passport looked very new and suspected that it was a fake passport. Then they straighted me to another room for re-check again to make sure whether i was real or fake. LOL! Man i almost missed the connections to YVR. That's why I need an airline staff to help me to talk to the custom and immigration. Next time, i should fly to SFO frequently.

When I was first time arrive in FRA, a german immigration officer flipped my passport and spoke to me in German. Do I look german?? Wake up guy...I am not german. Luckily, I had an airline staff to talk to him in german for me...then he let me go without any problems. Phew! Welcome to Frankfurt!! Beer time!

[Edited 2008-06-24 17:54:52]
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

legacyins

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 30):
My other "bad" experience was in SFO. I was there on vacation, so no need for a Visa, but he found out that I am working for a big airline and that i need a Visa then. It took 15 minutes to convince him that I don't need a Visa when I am on vacation. I asked him to call his supervisor but he refused. For whatever reason. Maybe because he knew he was wrong

May I ask, what year did this happen?

NG1Fan

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:10 pm

The most unplesant experience I had was once waiting in an overcrowded immigration line at IAD in summer. Boy, was it warm. Those weird mobile lounges kept bringing passengers until the place was completely full. It took more than two hours to pass immigration, by which time we ran to make our connection (baggage didn't).

My most interesting experience was a follows - and pls bear with me, this is a longish story. Colleague (Russian) and I were at a trade fair in HAM. He had his single entry Schengen visa in his passport. At this trade fair, one of our suppliers, based in France, invited us to visit the factory. Since we did not plan for this, we asked him to get us the tickets and organise the transfer. They duly did, God bless the French, and we were off the next afternoon.

Supplier purchased a Swissair from HAM directly to Basel (closest airport to him). Knowing Swiss airports like GVA with their two exits (Switzerland, and France/EU), I also knew that Basel hada similar arrangement. We checked our bags, went to the gate and were confronted by passport control. If they put a stamp in my colleague's passport, that would mean his Schengen Visa (being a single entry) was now utilised and no good for further EU travel. Anyway, I explained thia situation to the German immigration officer - after all, we only wanted to go to France and Basel was the airport closest our supplier . He said if Swissair was OK with it, he'd have no trouble not stamping my Russian colleague's passport. He then took us down to Swissair, found the rep, we explained, and were let on the flight.

We arrived in Basel and were confronted with two exits - France/EU and Switzerland. Both had Immigration officers. We ambled up to the EU side, explained the situation, showed the boarding pass (boarded in HAM), showed the passport with the (still) valid visa and hoped for the best (all this in my rusty French). He scratched his head, muttered something, and let us pass!

The following evening, we were both due to fly from Basel to VIE, spend the night in Vienna, and then catch the morning flight to SVO. This time, I let my French supplier handle the border man and sure enough, with VIE on the boarding passes, he let us pass without stamping my colleagues single-entry Schengen visa.

Arrival in VIE that evening was another story: this flight was one of the last landing in VIE that evening. Passport control was deserted, and I was feeling confident (I am an Austrian national). So when our turn came, the bored Austrian immigration officer took our passports (since we arrived from a non-Schengen country), and went to stamp my colleague's visa. Mind you, we were *arriving*. And his visa already had an arrival stamp. I leant across the window and put my hand on the passport and asked the officer if he knew what he was doing. He was about to put a second entry stamp on a single-entry visa which to all intents and purposes was still valid. I then told him the whole story about where we came from/why etc. He looked at me, perplexed, insisted that because we came from a non-Schengen country, he'd have to stamp the passport. But I told him we came from France, not Switzerland, and how could my colleague have been in Switzerland without a Swiss visa?

Immigration officer then asked me when my colleague was leaving. We showed him the ticket with the next morning's departure and destination. He asked where he was staying (at a hotel). Was I supervising him? Well, we'd both be travelling to Moscow the next day, so I said I guess so. He then proceeded to tell me that this was an unusual situation he didn't really know what to do. No supervisors were around - anyway, he then decided to let us go - provided I was responsible for my colleague!

All this was in March 2002 in a 24-hour period.

Anyway, from that day forward, we always issued invitations for our Russian colleagues enabling them to get multiple entry visas just to remove that stress component.

At no stage was I ever treated badly or rudely, but we did raise a few eyebrows at Basel and Vienna.

More recently, my wife (Russian), my son (Austrian) and a friend of the family's (also Russian) were in GVA visiting friends. Being summer, it was a beautiful day to get the convertible out (relax, it was an old Fiat Uno), and drive to Yvoire over the French side of the lake for a stroll and desert. We got all our passports together, checked visa status (multiple for all that needed them, both Schengen and Switzerland) and drove off. Got to the border, and ..... there was nobody there. The border post between France & Switzerland was closed (this was a Sat evening), we just drove on. Same on our return....

NG1Fan

flymia

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Flown internationally a good amount of time and I never had a problem. Flown to MAD,LGW,ZRH,FCO,SYD,AKL,NAS,EZE,TLV,CDG,STN,MIA,JFK,LAX,FLL.
I have flown into MIA at peak times, European in the afternoon and South America in the early mourning and have never waited more than 5 minutes. I guess the worst experiance was the line to leave FCO on an international flight, or in the summer of 2002 leaving MAD to MIA on IB they took us to a back room and searched all my bags, but this was not even a year after 9/11 so I did not think twice about it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

WiLdmanVzla

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 pm

The worst by far must be CCS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACDC8

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:24 pm

My worst experiences have always been going through the UK while I'm using my Canadian passport.

Not once have a had an enjoyable trip going through the UK passport control, even at the gates when they check your passports they're extremely arrogant about it.

On my recent trip to Germany this past February as an example, my return trip was rebooked with BA going through LHR due to strike action at the German airports. I had about a 6 hour layover in LHR between flights, so I decided to head to town. The passport control officer wanted to know why I was in the UK, why LHR, why I was only in the UK for a few hours, why I was leaving the airport, why I wanted to visit and so on and so on.

When I got back to the airport and was at the gate for my YVR flight, they did a passport check at the gate and the officer pulled me aside and wanted to know why I had a one-way ticket and how long I was living in the UK for. I explained to him about the strike action in Germany and the re-booking and it wasn't a one-way ticket. He didn't believe me so I explained to him the obvious clues:

-My Canadian passport states Germany as my place of birth, which means there is a strong possibility that I have dual citizenship (which I do), and if I did, I have the right to stay within the EU (which includes the UK) as long as I want.

-The ticket he was holding said rebooked by LH.

-Turn the ticket over and he would have found a copy of my original ticket with the flight from Canada two weeks earlier.

-Check his little computer at the gate, and I'm sure all the same info would have been in there.

I've had similar issues on previous trips to the UK, especially those if I flew over just for a day trip.

The thing is, my Canadian passport states that if I'm in a country where there is no Canadian Embassy, I'm to use the nearest British Embassy. However, given my experiences with UK Passport officials, I'd be scared to find out how there Embassy would treat me.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

GST

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 pm

Quoting WiLdmanVzla (Reply 35):
The worst by far must be CCS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto that. I've only had bad experiences with CCS. When I arrived there were at least 6 other flights arriving in a short time. 3 desks at immigration open. 2 of them were staffed by trainees. OK, I diddnt speak Spanish, so they had to go further to acccomodate me, but when they refuse to let other members of my group who speak it fluently act as an interpriter? (I've since been told exactly what she was called and it isnt pleasent)

The other, when leaving Venezuela is actually nothing to do with the Venezuelan immigration people, I'm sure they are quite good if they have enough staff. Iberia managed to triple book the flight back to Madrid. How do you tripple book an A340??? they had to lay on 2 additional flights the next day to accomodate all the flustered passengers, and both of them were crammed full!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 36):

I apologise oon behalf of my cretinous countrymen  Wink

RussianJet

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:49 pm

When I got back to the airport and was at the gate for my YVR flight, they did a passport check at the gate

Come again?? Sounds more like Police or Customs. Immigration do not normally conduct embark controls.

The passport control officer wanted to know why I was in the UK, why LHR, why I was only in the UK for a few hours, why I was leaving the airport, why I wanted to visit and so on and so on.

Sorry, but that all sounds like very routine, perfectly (or should be) easy to answer questions that any controllable national would be asked on arrival to the UK. If you use a non-EU passport, you can expect at least some basic questioning about your stay. What in particular was the problem with this?

Quoting Hywel (Reply 11):
d) So you're visiting your Uncle huh? What's he doing in the States? (none of their business)

How is it not the immigration officer's business to establish the status of a relative you claim to be visiting? Let's say, for argument's sake, that he was an illegal entrant or an overstayer (and before you protest, bear in mind the officer knows neither you or your uncle at all) - would you as an immigration officer then consider your uncle a worthy sponsor and allow you entry?

Many officers undoubtedly display a bad attitude, as do many pax, and there is no excuse for that.

The one piece of advice I would give is to never try and second guess or assume you know why a question is being asked or whether it has a point or not. Often when people assume to 'know what's going on' in such circumstances they are way off the mark.

RussianJet

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 18):
My wife traveled thru MIA a few days before me, so my INS officer in MIA asked me "So I see your wife came through a few days ago..where was she going?" My reply "sir, that is an inappropriate question unrelated to whether or not I have the proper documentation to enter the USA"

Well done - a classic example of how to instantly fail what many police officers here refer to as the 'attitude test'. Were you looking for a hard time??

As for 'the proper documentation', do you really think that entry to foreign countries relies solely on having what you consider to be the correct documents? All I need to travel to the US is my passport, but that does not mean they cannot refuse me entry for a whole host of reasons if they so desire. There are still criteria to be met and rules that must be conformed to.

Rule number one - don't behave like a pompous know-it-all when answering the very first question posed to you by the immigration officer. It might, just might, make your time in the airport a little more pleasant.  Yeah sure

ACDC8

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:58 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 38):
Come again?? Sounds more like Police or Customs. Immigration do not normally conduct embark controls.

Could have been customs, won't say for sure, but he was wearing the same (or at least similar) uniform as the agent downstairs in passport control.

Sorry, but that all sounds like very routine, perfectly (or should be) easy to answer questions that any controllable national would be asked on arrival to the UK. If you use a non-EU passport, you can expect at least some basic questioning about your stay. What in particular was the problem with this?

Its not the questions that bothered me, its the attitude she portrayed. That and combined with the unpleasant experiences I've had with UK agents on previous trips left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. I've had unfriendly agents during visits to other countries or coming home to Canada, but never on such a consistent level as in the UK.

I have no gripes against the UK at all, I love to visit, but if only they would train their passport control officers to smile a bit and make you feel welcome to the UK and not like there is a problem visiting their country.

For example, I've had many officers in Canada and Germany opening with "Welcome home" or just a simple "Welcome". Doesn't take much to treat people like humans and do an effective job at the same time.

RussianJet

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:40 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 40):
its the attitude she portrayed

Well, that's different of course, and if she was rude or arrogant or whatever then you have a right to feel aggrieved. To be fair, it did not seem apparent in your earlier post that this was your problem with the whole thing.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 40):
but if only they would train their passport control officers to smile a bit and make you feel welcome to the UK and not like there is a problem visiting their country.

I think that in any country, and certainly in my experience it is so, that like in any profession you will meet good and bad officers, nice ones and horrible ones, and ones having a good day as well as ones having a bad day. Try not to tar everyone with the same brush.  wave 

Hywel

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 pm

How is it not the immigration officer's business to establish the status of a relative you claim to be visiting? Let's say, for argument's sake, that he was an illegal entrant or an overstayer (and before you protest, bear in mind the officer knows neither you or your uncle at all) - would you as an immigration officer then consider your uncle a worthy sponsor and allow you entry?

I can see your point, but:

a) My uncle has full American citizenship entitling him to live there (I had already explained that my relatives had emigrated there 18 years ago... they wouldn't still be there after 18 years if they hadn't got citizenship yet). He didn't make the connection between my uncle being included in the 'relatives' I had mentioned just 30 seconds earlier. When I used the words 'my uncle' then he got uptight and asked who I was visiting (for the 2nd time!)

b) I shouldn't need a 'worthy sponsor' to enter the USA for a holiday - proof of the address where I'm staying is all that should really be required. It shouldn't matter whether I'm staying at a hotel, staying with a relative, a friend etc.

It was also the tone in which the immigration officer asked it - implying he hadn't believed a word of anything I'd said beforehand.

ACDC8

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 41):
Well, that's different of course, and if she was rude or arrogant or whatever then you have a right to feel aggrieved. To be fair, it did not seem apparent in your earlier post that this was your problem with the whole thing.

Guess I should have made it a bit more clearer. It sounds so much different in your head then it does when you type it .... Big grin

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 41):
I think that in any country, and certainly in my experience it is so, that like in any profession you will meet good and bad officers, nice ones and horrible ones, and ones having a good day as well as ones having a bad day. Try not to tar everyone with the same brush.

Thats very true, but like I said, I've not yet had a polite or courteous trip through UK passport control. I've had my share of rude run-ins in other countries as well, but not nearly as often as with UK officials.

csavel

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:51 am

I must be lucky. Home airport is JFK, and have never EVER either in the US or any other country had a bad experience with a customs or immigration officer at an airport.

Narita was bad because it was an unusually hot October day and there was no A/C

LAND borders however....

1) Driving into Buffalo from Canada, I made the "error" of saying the city I lived in was New York rather than New York City (sic). Well I got a lecture! "You live in New York CITY. New York is a STATE! " Didn't want to tell him that in actuality, even though a lot of people say New York City to avoid confusion, but unlike say Oklahoma City , *both* the city and state are properly, legally and officially named just New York. I try to add city when there is confusion, especially in upstate, but jeez, c'mon, he specifically asked me what city, not where. I didn't need to be lectured like a fifth grader.

2) Driving into VT from Quebec on a frigid February evening, man at booth took our drivers licenses (didn't need passports then) shut the glass, and that was all she wrote. Something like fifteen minutes goes by. Finally got out of the car, knocked on the glass, and he was *watching TV*, hands me the DLs w/o a word and we're done.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

TUNisia

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:43 am

LHR - careful examination of all passport stamps on entry. questions about purpose of visit to those countries. asked many other questions not relating to trip. was soon on my way. nothing too bad.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

fanofjets

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:19 pm

My worst by far was at LHR. I came in after an overnight flight from JFK. The customs lady was surly beyond mention. I was traveling with my mom, and she wanted to know why we were together. A US citizen, I was visiting the UK for the summer to participate in an archaeological excavation. When she found out that I was receiving a stipend for my work as a graduate student, she became very huffy about not being allowed to work without a permit. (This had never been an issue the previous four summers or my many US colleagues doing the same.) She was one of those petty bureaucrats given a lot of power to flaunt - believe me, I know the type, as I have met plenty of individuals like here right here in the States.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

iairallie

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:57 pm

the worst part of the whole ordeal? The guy was Mexican

I fail to see how that is relevant and the guy was American.

My worst experience was clearing in YYZ returning to the US. I was working crew. They immigration officer demanded to know how I got my green card. The question was odd and threw me off I had no idea what he wanted to know. I thought maybe he meant the actual process which seemed stupid but I complied and replied "well when I was 5 my parents filled out a bunch of paperwork..." he interrupted all angry and said "No-no Did you marry someone for it?" I was rather taken aback and said "um no I've never been married and I've had the green card since I was 5," Thinking to myself where in the world do 5 year olds get married.

Pre-9/11 we had a layover in some Texas border city. The hotel driver told us all we needed to cross over was a drivers license. So we walked over as a crew had some lunch and walked back. The woman asked me my nationality. I decided I'd reply honestly and said Canadian. She was extremely nasty wouldn't let me back in until the crew retrieved my passport and green card from the hotel. She told me point blank after looking at my green card and finding out I'd lived in the US most of my life "What right do you have to live here?" I was said "I beg your pardon" she then snarled "What right do you have to live here. You've been here most of your life and yet you haven't gotten citizenship!" I said "My parents moved me here as a child and I've met the legal requirements for permanent residency so I can live here indefinately. I'm sorry that bothers you". She took it as a personal affront that I would not want US citizenship. Update I am a citizen now and I did it for the right reasons not because some BCIS agent thought I should. After 9/11 and a visit back to Canada shortly after I realized that inside I was and American and that I love the US.

Things didn't immediately improve after getting citizenship. My first re-entry after getting my shiny new US passport I got pulled into the special room. Really humiliating as they marched me past all my passengers like a criminal. There they asked some questions like parents names etc. and about my stolen green card. It was stolen in Ireland earlier that year and I followed all the proper proceedures. Uh hello, I'm entering on a passport not a green card. If I were the thief I'd be handing you the stolen green card Einstein. All this could have easily been handled at the regular desk which is where ORD and other cities dealt with it. It took two seconds to verify.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

RussianJet

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting Fanofjets (Reply 45):
She was one of those petty bureaucrats given a lot of power to flaunt - believe me, I know the type, as I have met plenty of individuals like here right here in the States.

Maybe she was narked with you because you called her a 'customs lady' instead of an Immigration Officer, which she in fact was.  duck 

tennis69

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:12 am

My worst was entering the US at ATL. I had just returned home from a 14 month absence while working in Egypt. My bags were searched and 2 shisha pipes and 4 boxes of cuban cigars were stolen from me by customs agents.

iairallie

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:17 am

You can't legally bring in cuban cigars so they weren't stolen they were confiscated. You were lucky you were not fined.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!