BAViscount
Topic Author

Those Aviation "omg!" Moments!

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Every now and again we have those little "Oh my God!" moments when we see or hear things in the world of aviation that make us momentarily stop dead in our tracks.

I don't mean those horribly tragic moments involving loss of life, pain and suffering - those are much bigger moments than I'm talking about here, and shock and affect not only us enthusiasts, but also many, many more people.

I'm talking about the kind of things that only another enthusiast would appreciate.

I'll give you an example of one such moment that happened to me just this afternoon...

I was sitting here going through the photos on my laptop, when I can across this photo that I took at AMS in October 2004:

Big version: Width: 3072 Height: 2048 File size: 2055kb
N230NW @ AMS - October 2004

I had stood and watched the aircraft push back, enjoying being so close to a DC10 again. Wondering what pictures may have existed of that same aircraft in the database I decided to do a search.

My heart sank when the first photo I came across was this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Marshall

Yes, I know it happens all the time, especially with older aircraft such as this one, but it was the first time I had knowingly seen an aircraft in a graveyard that I had seen and photographed in happier times!!

That was one of my (many) "OMG!" moments...what are yours?
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

wilco737

RE: Those Aviation "omg!" Moments!

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:58 pm

I have a slightly different version of such an "OMG" moment.

My first flight ever in the FO seat of a B737. I was departing runway 27R in HAJ and turned downwind, no pax, only flight training. I was so concentrated I didn't realise what is happening to me. Then the captain looked at me and said: you are flying: ENJOY IT DUDE!!! I started to smile all over my face Big grin I took a look outside and enjoyes the short time of level flight in pattern altitude and then I turned final and did my first ever landing in a jet. Man, this was an "OMG" moment I will never forget Big grin Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

BAViscount
Topic Author

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 1):
Then the captain looked at me and said: you are flying: ENJOY IT DUDE!!! I started to smile all over my face

Hehe...that's the kinda thing I'm talking about!! Big grin

We've all had them, no matter what shape or form they might take!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

GST

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Probably the first time I ever flew in a glider. It is still less than a year ago, so is still very fresh in my mind. The moment the instructor released the cable. The Piper Super Cub made a descending turn to starboard as we climbed to port, at the same time it went so fantastically quiet. Only the whistle of the wind. I remember thinking to myself, this is surely what flying is all about. Strange really, since it was even before I got to actually control the aircraft, all I was doing was keeping my hands and feet on the controls and following through what the instructor did.

Gemuser

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:46 pm

Mine was my first landing in a Shorts Sandringham flying boat, at Lord Howe Island! It was a night flight, due to the tide and left SYD at 0200, arriving at the island with the sun. A first light landing, to the north, inside the shadow those massive mountains, then the drumming as the hull makes contact and the smooth "splash in" are still etched in my memory 36 years later.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

BAViscount
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting GST (Reply 3):
I remember thinking to myself, this is surely what flying is all about.

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 4):
A first light landing, to the north, inside the shadow those massive mountains, then the drumming as the hull makes contact and the smooth "splash in" are still etched in my memory 36 years later.

Again, those are exactly the kind of things I'm talking about! Those moments that even years later stick in our minds, but wouldn't necessarily mean a lot to non-enthusiasts. OK, my first example happened only today, but I have a ton from years gone by that I could pull on.

Here's another example that I'll share, that wouldn't necessarily mean a lot to some, but meant a lot to me...

Back in the late 70s/early 80s, my dad used to (under sufferance) take his whiny brat of a son (a.k.a. moi!) on fairly frequent Sunday afternoon spotting visits to LHR. My dad had absolutely no interest in aviation, and truth be known, was sh*t scared of flying. All he really wanted to do on a Sunday afternoon was go to the pub, eat his roast dinner then fall asleep watching the football on the telly!

But this particular afternoon he had again indulged my passion and we had spent a number of hours on the roof of carpark 3, roaming the decks of the Queen's Building and doing a walking tour of the terminals.

His ordeal was finally over for another week, and we were making our way home to Battersea via the M4, with a happy bunny sat in the passenger seat of his Ford Cortina.

But just as we had left the Heathrow Spur, I looked up and saw the lumbering shape of a 747 approaching us from the north east. I couldn't believe my eyes, having never seen anything approach LHR from that direction. Moments later I was pratically staring into the cockpit of the El Al jumbo as it made its way across the M4 for a landing on the now-closed runway 23!! Yes, I was experiencing my one and only 23 landing! Up until that point, and ever since, I had/have only ever experienced takeoffs and landings from the parallels, and I was so excited that I didn't know what to do with myself!!! My dad, of course, was unable to share my excitement, but if we had had the "OMG" acronym back then, I'm sure I would have used it! 

Well I enjoyed it anyway...! 

[Edited 2008-07-02 17:39:38]

Bartonsayswhat

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:58 am

After 6 months of working on the ramp, i decided to go take a discovery flight. flew a local south over the harbour and over my house and back to do a perfect landing in perfect weather. hands on the whole time, with just an instructor guiding me. most fun i've ever had.

planewasted

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 am

I will never forget when i flew on the upper deck on a SQ 747 (first and only time). I was about seven years old then. A flight attendant asked me if I wanted to visit the cockpit (in flight), of course I wanted to do that!

SAAB900

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:46 pm

For me it has to be my 1st ever jet airliner flight!
It was on 10/2/88 GOT-ARN on SAS Dc9-41 LN-RLZ. I was on a short break staying in Gothenburg & took a cheap student standby return to Stockholm. We taxied out onto the runway, then the brakes were applied & the power added. The moment the brakes were released & we shot off down the runway & up into the air I thought to myself "YES, I could get used to this!"  Big grin  cloudnine 
Until this flight my only experience of flying had been a 5 min Ce152 flight, a 5 min Pa28 flight & a Dc3 air experience flight of between 5-10 mins! So as you can imagine this was a mind blowing experience for me! Up to now I've flown over 150 sectors on airliners & even now I still get a big smile on my face every time that the brakes are released & we shoot off down the runway!  Smile
Even now I can still remember everything about that day, from gazing down at the clouds to the highlights at ARN which were SE-DEH Se210 Transwede & SE-IVR L188 Falcon Cargo!

Dave(SAAB900)

ag92

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Here is one which only around 500 people would have and can experience it.

Standing at the gate, very early in the morning, and slowly as the sun rises whilst a party is ongoing at the gate, you see the massive beast which is awaiting you in the glorious sun being prepared to take you and your fellow friends (what they then became) across to Sydney

You finally get to step on board, and you realize at that moment that you have stepped into aviation history, you walk to the back of the cabin, cant do anything but smile. Awaiting you at your seat is a nice black laptop bag which have lots of different things. Your captain welcomes you onboard and as the pushback happen people are busy taking photos of your plane. You finally reach the runway, and then the engines start and finally the wheels are off the ground and you are one of the 477 passengers who have stepped into Aviation History being the First To Fly on the Airbus 380 in October.

An OMG moment I will never forget - the time when I realized I have stepped into aviation history. This happened again on arrival in Sydney and then again at take-off and landing from Sydney to Singapore

LHRlocal

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:38 pm

I gotta few to be honest:

When i was young (about 7-8 i guess) i remember looking through the window at the plane we were about to board i think it was a 737-300 or 400 at Madrid, and noticed (looking directly at the front of the engines) that they looked squashed, they are not circular, i crapped myself and think i panicked all the way home.

Another incident was onboard an Alaska MD80 from LAX to Seattle, whilst taxi-ing, looked back into the engine and noticed the engine wasnt rotating, i was convinced they had forgot to turn the engine on and in the end had to ask a stewardess if it was normal!

My dad has worked for BA for 30+ years and has a lot of contacts, which have provided me with many OMG moments:

1. Having a look on concorde when it was in a LHR hanger stripped out being maintened was one.
2. Experiencing flights to LAX and SYD in 1st class - OMG  Wink
3. Having the fantastic chance to sit in the jump seat for the landing into Madrid or Malaga (many years ago) - i will never forget that, ever!

jeffry747

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:59 am

I had an OMG moment just the other night.I was driving my tug down Ramp 9 at the UPS hub at SDF. I got to the very end of the ramp and there she was: N575UP, a brand spankin' new 747-400, just flown in from PAE that day. She looked absolutely stunning just sitting there with a fresh new paint job, towering over the other aircraft. I am a huge fan of the 747 so it filled me with joy to see this pristine example of the greatest aircraft ever made. The second joyful moment came later in the night as I watched 575 thunder down 17R on her first ever revenue flight to ANC. It was a very proud moment for me just to see her fly
C'mon Big B, FLY!

AirStairs

Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:02 am

I used to travel through ORD quite a bit when I was about 8 and under and for some reason I remember seeing a KL 744 (must have been the first I ever saw in person) and just staring at it until ma had to peel me off the window.

First time at LAX, mum took me to the theme restaurant and, well, that experience probably speaks for itself (the widebodies, not the food by any means).

First time onboard a 744, BA2288 PHX-LHR in '98 or '99. I was a giddy fucking nightmare.  hyper 

AirStairs

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Quoting LHRlocal (Reply 10):
1. Having a look on concorde when it was in a LHR hanger stripped out being maintened was one.

Oh, how could I forget about the Concorde  cloudnine  It has alway been an OMG moment when I saw her... And it still is...

Quoting LHRlocal (Reply 10):
Madrid or Malaga (many years ago) - i will never forget that, ever!

You don't remember the airport anymore or you've been on the jumpseat on both flights into these airports?

I just had to think of one other OMG experience, but it was a sad one. I was on a solo flight. And I heard a crew of my flight school reported on our school frequency that one of our planes crashed. It took about 30 minutes until the fire fighters and ambulance was at the crash scene. The aircraft circling above the crash scene tried to contact our flight school on the school frequency but because of some mountains in between, they couldn't reach them at the first try. So I heard the following sentence 3 (!!!!) times. I only felt OMG!!! The sentence was: "The crash crew confirmed that there are NO survivors!"  Sad  Sad

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

trekster

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:25 pm

I had what will be one of my most memerable OMG's today.
Well, 2 of them to be exact.
1. The first airshow display of the Vulcan Bomber, finally returning to our skies.
2. The Vulcan and Lancaster bombers flying formation. OMG the noise of both there engines together is simply amazing.
Where does the time go???

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:24 pm

My best "omg" moment so far was when i saw Concorde take off over my head for the first time. The speed, you knew it was taking off faster than every other jet at nearly 250 knots, the sound, it's WAY loudier than any other jet. The noise is defeaning, the ground beneath my feet felt like it was shaking. And then the site of the afterburners glowing away into the distance while banking. Simply majestic. However there's one machine which i have never see in real life that might be more awesome to watch, and that's the Space shuttle lifting off.
In Arsene we trust!!

Alitalia744

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:05 am

As a kid I used to have my parents take me to the ALB airport observation deck (was outdoors).

Everytime a 727-200 took off - was OMG - that sound. Heaven to my ears. I wish we could have it back.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

NG1Fan

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:37 am

Seeing Hayley's comet aboard QF BNE-SYD in 1986.

First time CX lie-flat J class on upper deck exit row (in 2004)

Landing at Kai Tak (first time in 1989, then again twice in 1990, in 1991, then 1997-1998 about five in total). Unreal!

QF flight BNE-CNS and seeing the Great Barrier Reef stretch out below. Truly magnificent.

UA domestic flight. Apart from the service, watching the moon rise was OMG!

NG1Fan

HAWK21M

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:28 am

Everytime I read an Article on the Brilliant work by a Pilot/Engineer in getting a doomed Aircraft home safetly or discovering a critical fault before flight.

The last one was the DHL A300 SAM strike in Iraq.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SDLSimme

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:48 pm

Two memories that I think of happened 2 years ago at IAD. Me and my dad had been to the hangar filled with airplanes (can't remember the name) that is a part of the Smithsonian institute. The first OMG moment was standing next to the B707 prototype, the exact airplane that totally changed aviation. The other was on the bus back to downtown DC. We were driving on the highway and above us and from behind, a BA B772 comes and overtakes us as it lands at IAD. It was really really close and we drove next to it for quite a few seconds, but I was stuck to the window and forgot to take my camera out. That was to put it in one word, a-frickin-mazing  Smile
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

woody71

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:56 pm

These are some great stories. Let's keep this thread going. I have two OMG moments.

1. Sitting in the jump-seat while landing in SJU from MAD and having the captian show me the sights of old San Juan with one hand while coming in to approach with the other. I was only there because he knew my uncle. Truly an unforgettable moment for me.

2. Seeing my first fighter jet, F-14, flying over my head during an airshow. I didn't hear or feel the engines until he was a good 1/4 mile past us. Truly amazing that something can fly that fast and it's not even close to the a/c's top speed. Breathtaking!!

UltimateDelta

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:30 pm

One time I was looking through my photo collection and found a shot of DL's 767 ship 102 in the anniversary livery from Nov. 2005. This was looooong after they had retired it to the museum.
And others:
1. Watching the moon rise from an NW A333 (Only a month ago!)
2. Seeing D-AQUI flying over Cologne, Germany
3. Seeing a KLM 777 landing at IAD at sunset
4. Flying on YX DC-9 N203ME, the same plane on a postcard I have
5. Seeing a 747 approach directly overhead from near the top of an apartment building
I could probably think of a lot more, but these are the most memorable.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

larshjort

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 pm

Saterday afternoon seeing thos 747's landing at LHR while standing right beneath them.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

BAViscount
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:05 am

Quoting Woody71 (Reply 20):
These are some great stories. Let's keep this thread going.

I agree, there have been some great experiences shared here! I have a lot more I could share, I just have to think of the best ones for posting! Big grin

2H4

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 am

Sitting at my desk in Southwest Airlines Flight Operations during my second day of work as an intern, when two of the most senior chief pilots walk by very quickly and I overhear one of them say "We know it wasn't one of ours".

The date - September 11, 2001.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

AirStairs

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:54 am

I when I was really young I would beg my nanny to take me down to PHX (and often during the summer, when I was out of school) and she would park by 26R and the highlight of my day would be to see the TW L1011 on approach.

AirStairs

BNE

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 am

I can think of 2.

i) Flight on the inaugural A380 Sydney to Singapore: take off was especially nice.

ii) Last weekend when I got to fly in a King Air 200 around Brisbane.

Take off:

Big version: Width: 752 Height: 564 File size: 221kb
Brisbane Airport Runway 19

and landing:

Big version: Width: 655 Height: 492 File size: 114kb
Brisbane Archerfield Airport

It was short but a great trip.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

woody71

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 24):

WOW!!! I got chills reading that one.

I have another, I was able to watch both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds perform their routines at the same airshow from a boat. The routines were right over my head and they were incredible. It turned out to be the last airshow at this base which made it more special.

ANITIX87

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm

I have several to contribute if you'll all indulge me.

1) Hearing that TWA800 went down with all lives lost on July 17, 1996, about 5 hours after I'd flown TWA801 (ATH-JFK) on a 747.

2) Hearing that SR111 went down with all lives lost on September 2, 1998, about 6 hours after I'd flown SR110 (GVA-JFK) on an MD-11.

3) Related to #1, realizing many years later that my ATH-JFK flight on July 17, 1996 was on N93119, the exact airframe that crashed as TWA800.

4) On a lighter note...Earlier this summer, flying EWR-ZRH on a 764, watching a gorgeous full red moon rise over the Atlantic in the south, climb into the night sky, and then give way to an incredible sunrise. One of the most spectacular things I've ever seen and positively awe-inspiring.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

TheSonntag

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:46 pm

To me, a fantastic moment was my first intercontinental flight from AMS to KIX. You fly through the night, and then, next morning, suddenly I saw the sun rise somewhere over China. What a fantastic sight this was!

maestra80

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:46 pm

I have an "omg!" moment anytime I see a low flying plane about to pass overhead. I always have to stop and gawk. I live west of MDW and south of ORD. On most days, planes taking off from Midway (mostly SWA, of course!) fly low over my area because the planes turning to land on 4R at O'Hare are right over them.

The last time I had a more specific "omg!" moment was about a week ago. My older brother and I were driving around MDW looking for good places to spot. We were sitting at the stoplight of 55th St and Central, and we were going to make a right turn, but there was a sign that said "No Right Turns on Red." We were then talking about how that intersection was the location of that Southwest runway overrun in December 2005 that killed a little boy, and it was kinda creepy. There is a blast fence almost completely surrounding Midway, so you can't really see anything while you're sitting there. I told my brother that if he hears any "loud engine noises" (??) getting closer, to drive through the red light so we don't get run over by a plane. Just as I said that, there was a noise to my right that was getting louder and louder...and my brother said, "You mean, like that?" A second later a Southwest plane loudly shot over the blast fence and off into the skies. I must've screamed when this happened, because my brother was laughing at me for a while after that. It was just so creepy being in the same location of a plane accident and not being able to see what's going on because the blast fence is too high. I can't imagine how scary it must've been for the people who were there when it happened in 2005. Yikes!
The roofs are full of snow in Petrograd!

seansasLCY

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:37 pm

My aviation OMG moments were:

Boarding the 1st A380 flight from LHR to SIN. That was a really good experience and being with likeminded aviation fans made it even better.

My second moment was flying into BKK unaccompanied minor aged 12 onboard a KLM 744M and being amazed at the variety of airlines and size of the aircraft. This was also my first long haul flight.

A more somber moment was returning home from school and seeing the second plane hit the WTC in NYC and asking my mum what film she was watching and hearing her reply "this is real!"

hercppmx

Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:33 am

1.Being 10 years old, and going to work with my dad. Walking into the boeing factory at KPAE. I remember walking through a 747 that didn't have a single thing in it yet. they were just starting to put in wiring. and then walking further down the production line to a 747 that was up on jacks cycling the landing gear.

2. First time on a 772, remembering how powerful it seemed. What an amazing machine.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

smcmac32msn

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 28):
1) Hearing that TWA800 went down with all lives lost on July 17, 1996, about 5 hours after I'd flown TWA801 (ATH-JFK) on a 747.

2) Hearing that SR111 went down with all lives lost on September 2, 1998, about 6 hours after I'd flown SR110 (GVA-JFK) on an MD-11.

I really don't have one, but I just pray ANITIX87 isn't on any international flight that brings that plane into the city I'm departing from. I don't think that would be too safe to get any plane he was on.  duck   eek 
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

UltimateDelta

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 28):

Sort of related to that:
Hearing that my uncle was supposed to be on SR111 but missed it because of a late connection. His company actually lost a few people in the accident.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

DocLightning

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:05 pm

I was in college and I was going somewhere from SFO, which was my home airport at the time (and is again!). At the end of 28 there was a long-term parking lot (there might still be; I haven't gone and looked yet.)

I had parked my car there and was waiting for the shuttle bus to pick me up when I noticed that a LH 744 had started its T/O roll right towards me. The bus came and I waved him past; I wanted to see this, even if I had to wait for the next bus.

For a minute, I wanted to run; the 744 was getting very near the end of 28 and hadn't rotated. And then, at the last moment, he did. He can't have passed more than 200 feet over my head (I was almost right up against the fence).

The sound was more than deafening, it was earth-shaking. Pretty much every single car alarm in the lot went off. I'm surprised it didn't break any windows. As he began to pass away, I definitely felt a stiff gust of wind from his overflight.

O.M.G.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

YYZflyer

Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Back in March this year I was looking at pics that are in the DB from YYZ, and decided to take a look if the BA 777 that crash landed at LHR was in there. I searched and found out that it was at YYZ on March 11, 2007, the same day I was there! I looked through my photos from that day and quickly found 3 pics of G-YMMM. I couldn't believe it.

No matter how many different aircraft I see, I never really expect to photograph one that will later be involved in a serious accident.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

Scooter01

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:47 am

Can't remember them all at the moment, but here's the latest one:

Last Wednesday (July 16) I was sitting at the gate at RIX waiting for my flight back home to OSL when I saw two dark smudges against the rain-laden clouds to the north. They quickly transformed into two dots trailing black smoke, and here they are:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2hn3xnr.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/s3kqo1.jpg

What are the chances of seeing this again?

Scooter01

[Edited 2008-07-20 18:51:42]
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

sprout5199

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:03 pm

For me it was when I was ten, visiting England/Scotland seeing family, and walking to the BA 747 flight back to MIA and seeing the Concorde at the gate. But I guess it was an OMG moment for everyone else walking because we all were pressed against the window looking(my dad shot a whole roll of 35mm film of it. Shame I don't know where it is)This was in July of 1976.

Dan in Jupiter

iairallie

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Hearing the thunder of flighter jets flying overhead. I love it so exhillarating. Especially when the squadron commander was my ex and he waggled his wings at me as he flew over my car.

Surviving my solo cross country despite the moderate turbulence over the mountains giving me a good shakeup and a sketchy go around at a rural runway that makes my driveway look inviting.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 37):
What are the chances of seeing this again?

Scooter01

Those seem to be German F-4s, and they will be phased out by 2012. I will miss those smokers.

bok269

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm

1. Definitely my discovery flight.

2. Coming back from STT my charter flight (on Boston-Maine, who has thankfully since gone into oblivion), we stopped at SJU for fuel. While there I spotted ARFF racing across the tarmac. I wasn't an aviation enthusiast at the time but nevertheless I was curious. A year or two later, I found pictures of that incident on myaviation! Needless to say I was very excited.

http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?search_type=advanced

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00520769

3. Coming down the jetway for my B6 JFK-SAN flight and realizing I would be one of the first to fly Betablue.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Scooter01

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 40):
I will miss those smokers.

Yeah -me too.

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

n6238p

Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:09 pm

My OMG moment is flying a 172 VFR into LIT and being told traffic 12 o'clock 3 miles MD-88 and seeing a Delta MD-88 cross my nose landing there. You couldn't shoot the smile off my face. I had a Falcon #2 behind me and another Falcon holding short while I landed. That was my first busy Class C experience.

Logging my first actual IFR hours was pretty amazing too.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

F9Animal

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:00 am

I was flying a Piper Tomahawk over LAS, heading to VGT. Suddenly, my instructor shouts in a panicked voice. My heart stops for a second, but realized he was watching the concorde take off from under us. Let me say, that thing got to 6,000 in a split few seconds, and we just awed in amazement. We had no idea we were going to get such a treat.

Another concorde experience was in LAS again. She was flying in, so a bunch of us waited along the jet blast fence of the runway (1994 or so). When she flew over us, it picked us all up along the railroad tracks, and threw us about 10-15 yards. My last photo was of my shoe! What a blast, and what a "oh my god" experience.
I Am A Different Animal!!