UAL747
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines Seat Assignments

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:37 am

Hey guys, I might be flying to BKK late in August to visit some family and I was wondering about SIA and their seat assignments. I got right up to paying for my ticket, but they wouldn't let me choose any seat on the IAH-DME-SIN-BKK and back. So I was wondering, after you book, does it open up the seat maps for you, or do they not have seat assignments.

I realize this routing is rather strange, but unbelievably, it's by far the cheapest to BKK coming in at 1400USD. Why doe foreign airlines never show you seat maps before purchase like US airlines do?

I WANT window seats for all flights, but I'm not sure what to do. I called SIA and the guy seemed to not understand what I was talking about.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

QANTAS077

RE: Singapore Airlines Seat Assignments

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 am

short answer, no..ring and ask them for an assignment & they'll do it over the phone.

6thfreedom

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
Why doe foreign airlines never show you seat maps before purchase like US airlines do?

do US airlines permitted seat selection for long haul international as well.
as far as i know, domestic or short haul services anywhere usually permit seat selection, but no necessarily long haul.

if you call SQ, i'm sure you can put in a seat request.
other options:

become a kris member; or
use web check in, and select your seat.

ua76heavy

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:44 am

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 2):
do US airlines permitted seat selection for long haul international as well.
as far as i know, domestic or short haul services anywhere usually permit seat selection, but no necessarily long haul.

Yes, I do it all the time with United's international and domestic flights--no problem through United.com. I can't speak for the other US carriers, though.

I wish more international carriers would allow you reserve and modify your own seat assignment.

ojas

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 am

SQ allows seat assignments and modifications to them albeit only through Web check-in. But I'm sure if you call them things can be sorted out.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

nicholaschee

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 am

SQ allows you to select your seats if you purchased your ticket through their online ticket sales. If you purchased it via other means, seat selection is only available 48 hours before departure. This applies regardless of your status.

If you are flying R/F/J, you can make specific seat requests over the phone. For Y, you can only request Emex, Aisle or Window.

[Edited 2008-07-22 23:26:04]

Halophila

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:31 am

I travelled SQ in May from SIN-SYD-SIN

You can choose your seats online right after you pay for it (and not before). I found this irritating since I couldn't select flights for which my preferred seats were available prior to purchase.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

ca228

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 pm

[

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 5):
SQ allows you to select your seats if you purchased your ticket through their online ticket sales. If you purchased it via other means, seat selection is only available 48 hours before departure. This applies regardless of your status

I would suggest that you go online at exactly 48 hours before departure to get your seat - I flew SQ 1 from SFO-HKG-SIN last year, and by the time I logged on about 16 hours before departure virtually all the seats are gone, and there were very few seats to select from. I think the airline system pre-select all the pax seating and if there are any empty seats remaining at the 48-hr mark they are released for passenger seat changes. When you go into the online check-in at the 48-hour mark, you will see that a seat has already been selected for you by SQ. I think that's why if the route is already sold out or close to it, you won't have much of a selection to change your seat if you don't like what's selected for you.

zkeoj

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:56 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 1):
ring and ask them for an assignment & they'll do it over the phone.

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 2):
if you call SQ, i'm sure you can put in a seat request.

nope.....

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 5):
SQ allows you to select your seats if you purchased your ticket through their online ticket sales. If you purchased it via other means, seat selection is only available 48 hours before departure. This applies regardless of your status.

And that with the "world's number one airline". It always annoys me, and I start moving from SQ. No advance seat reservation if not booked through their webpage (we HAVE to book through our "preferred travel agent"), and even on long haul NO miles accrual on the cheaper fares. At least TG, OZ etc give 60% or 70% of the miles in the cheap classes.

While I like SQ and their inflight service, these two things start putting me off booking them.

Cheers
micha

9VSIO

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 am

Ask your agent to do the seats at the same time....It's always worked for me.

Hey, at least SQ are pretty flexible with their tix...
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

BNEFlyer

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 9):
Hey, at least SQ are pretty flexible with their tix...

Speaking of being flexible... when I was in PEN a couple of years ago with my mum we flew SQ BNE-SIN-PEN-SIN-BNE.

We were mean to be there for a week but after 2 days mum wanted to leave as it was an awful place (which we'll never go back to and will never recommend to anyone to go there).

I called SQ in KL, was a Sunday so no one was there, same deal with SQ in Singapore. Called SQ in Sydney and spoke to a lovely lady who got us on the afternoon flight to SIN the next day at no charge.

In a few weeks i'll be flying SQ BNE-(SIN)-SGN/BKK-SIN-BNE and want to change my flight from BKK to SIN to the same one but a day later. I've been told by my agent it will cost me $100 to do this... should I pay it or call when i'm over there and see if they'll do it for free again?

Oh and my agent put in my request for window seats but told me to do OLCI if I wanted a specific seat.

Thanks everyone, sorry to go off topic a bit!

9VSIO

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:53 am

Definitely speak to the airline. I never bother with agents nowadays....
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...