ppcd

What's Your Favorite Luggage Brand?

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Did a search before but nothing relevant came up so I've decided to start a new topic.

What's your favorite luggage brand ?

I'm currently looking to replace some of my travel gear and I thought to choose Samsonite. I don't have any experience with this company but its definitely very popular among travelers worldwide.

I think I'll buy a 28" Samsonite Solana Expandable Spinner Suitcase + a Samsonite Solana Shoulder Bag all for 320 EUR (it's the best price I could find in Europe since no US website ships to my location). I saw them live and they are look well built.
Dan

9VSIO

RE: What's Your Favorite Luggage Brand?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 am

Historically, Samsonite.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

wilco737

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 pm

Victorinox, Swiss made. Very good quality. but pretty expensive.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

northstardc4m

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 4):
Victorinox, Swiss made. Very good quality. but pretty expensive.

No more expensive than anything else round here... not bad quality.

My recent bags from Heys are very good...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

AA7295

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I've used both Samsonite and Antler, however I prefer Samsonite as I feel they are more withstanding to bumps and damage. I think they are also lighter too. Plus their designs are kick-ass!

deltairlines

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:17 am

My Samsonite rollaboard takes a ton of abuse. Never had any problems with it in the hundreds of thousands of miles I've travelled with it.

Tumi for a briefcase though. Absolutely great bags.

NG1Fan

Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:24 am

It would have to be Louis Vuitton.

Wife and I over the years got a whole set and it is remarkably durable. My roll-a-board is now 14 years old, and apart from replacing handle, zipper (free of charge) and wheel bearings, it is as functional as ever. Same with the regular suitcase, which was a gift I received in 1996.

The only negative is the large wheely suitcase I have (about eight years old). There are lots of bits rattling around it, courtesy of me overpacking it repeatedly. And the canvas has also stretched over the years. Some cuts make it look battle hardened. I took it in to get repaired, but they said it was beyond repair (and that was some four years ago).

THese bag/cases between them probably have covered over a million miles in the last 12 years and been subjected to the worst baggage handlers and their conveyor belts mete out, and apart from the mentioned cuts, have come out remarkably intact. But at close to EUR2000 for the larger items, you'd want to travel a few miles to amortise.

I used to have some hard-shell Samsonite suitcases with wheels. But unfortunately, they are not as sturdy as they look, and they scratch easily. They are at their best when they are full, but half-full, all your stuff slides around. And it shatters easily, so hence the switch to soft cases.

My computer bag was a Samsonite until it finally broke last year and I had to replace it in a hurry with some local HK product.

NG1Fan

OHLHD

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:12 am

I have one Trekking backpack from McKinley age 18 years which still serves me perfect ( 35l Vol.) and one 60l McKinley backpack when I am on longer routes or journeys.

Lately I have bought a Delsey trolley ( cabinsize) for my duty travels.  Smile

So its gotta be McKinley.  Smile

QANTAS077

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:40 am

Delsey is my choice..

I've got one similar to this and its served me well through this decade...still in top condition too!

jgarrido

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:21 am

I bought a Samsonite "spinner" bag a couple year ago. With over 50k air miles so far it's held up quite well. Before that I had a couple bags different cheap bags picked up from the nearest ____mart (kmart, wamart, etc). From the first trip you could see them start to fall apart and it was just downhill from there. My Samsonite has probably done about 15 legs and the only damage are a few scuffs here and there. The four rotating wheels really are nice feature too.

Qantasistheway

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tumi! They are really great, they are the business travellers best friend, and their expandable bags are amazing! The warantee is great amd you can send in your defect bag and they will replace or repair free of charge! None of this Samsonite or Antler, which I have had both of, nothing rolls as smooth and is a sturdy and good looking as a Tumi, except maybe an LV bag. Get a Tumi in the US and you'l be greateful.

Cheers

ppcd

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Yeah, I've noticed Tumi they make some great stuff but pretty pricey compared with most of the competition and I haven't seen them available to be sold online outside the US.

Also, a buddy of mine who is a seaman bought from USA a set of Briggs and Riley that are well built and look like new even after 3 years.
Dan

UAopsMGR

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Samsonite & Tumi

Big version: Width: 448 Height: 336 File size: 39kb
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.- Homer Simpson

ppcd

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Well after all, I decided to make a purchase. I bought these two bags from Lufthansa's web shop.

Lufthansa Holiday Collection Jumbo Trolley Case
Dimensions (W x H x D): 45 x 74 x 27 cm
Weight: 4.2 kg

The dimensions and size are ok.

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 750 File size: 43kb
Lufthansa Holiday Collection Jumbo Trolley Case

Lufthansa Holiday Collection Travel Bag

Dimensions (W x H x D): 45 x 30 x 27 cm
Weight: 1.2 kg

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 373 File size: 34kb
Lufthansa Holiday Collection Travel Bag

Paid for them just 108 EUR and I've decided to give these bags a try until I spare some money for some Briggs and Riley my favorite luggage brand. (or Tumi).

However, as a carry on I've opted for this one from Offermann , a german company.

http://www.offermann.de/collection/men/country/nr-8210.html

Dan

zkeoj

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 am

If you travel a lot and want something "unkaputtbar", RIMOWA is the luggage to go for (www.rimowa.com). On almost every trip my luggage (be it bags or suitcases, hard or soft cases) got damaged. I am travelling a lot, and got sick of it (despite the airlines repairing/replacing). With an upcoming 4-months business trip, 50 legs, quite a few countries, etc. I thought it was time to buy a durable piece of luggage. And the RIMOWA is the one. On my last trip to Iceland it did a great job, and I am actually really looking forward for it to be my "wardrobe and book case" for the next 4 months!

Cheers
micha

Elite

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:15 am

Samsonite. All of my bags used to be Samsonite, but recently they have become more and more expensive. Apparently they are trying to move into the high end of suitcase brands, and they weren't cheap to start out with, so I am considering alternatives (using some Columbia bags at the moment).

[Edited 2008-07-30 00:15:56]

ppcd

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:07 am

I've visited a RIMOWA store in MUC and love their cases but they look so fragile. I wouldn't check-in any of their bags. They scratch so easily even with your nails. But as carry-ons I think they are great.

ZKEOJ: Let me know if you buy a RIMOWA trolley and how it looks after a few trips. I saw some used ones on Germany eBay and they look like they've been used in a battle.
Dan

zkeoj

Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting Ppcd (Reply 16):
I've visited a RIMOWA store in MUC and love their cases but they look so fragile. I wouldn't check-in any of their bags. They scratch so easily even with your nails. But as carry-ons I think they are great.

ZKEOJ: Let me know if you buy a RIMOWA trolley and how it looks after a few trips. I saw some used ones on Germany eBay and they look like they've been used in a battle.

I am not sure if/when I'll buy a carry-on, but I have already bought a trolley as a main luggage. Yes, it does scratch and dent (which is part of the charm). In fact, the patina is what "hard core" travellers like. Look at this: http://rimowa.de/main.php?country=UK&lang=EN&speed=high#every_case
I don't mind scratches and dents in a suitcase like that (and my Demsey was BADLY scratched after the first flight as well), but I appreciate the durability. They might LOOK fragile, but they are extremely strong and durable. There are many 20 year-old REMOWAS still "in service"...
I have only heard good things about them (except the price  Wink, and I will see how mine will survive the 4 months...

Cheers
micha

ppcd

Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Yeh, that bag might look good in movies but not in the real world though... Anyways, good luck, I'm considering a carry-on as well in the next months.
Dan

nema

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 am

Delsey for me.

Test results for strength and durability give almost identical results to samsonite but not as expensive.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

garnetpalmetto

Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:32 am

Quoting Ppcd (Reply 11):

Also, a buddy of mine who is a seaman bought from USA a set of Briggs and Riley that are well built and look like new even after 3 years.

Briggs & Riley - designed really well, they have an amazing warranty, and they're pretty rugged. I've got the following pieces:

Baseline Deluxe Wheeled Garment Bag

Baseline 22" Carry-On Superlight Upright
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ppcd

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Absolutely wonderful but unfortunately I haven't seen them for sale even online outside the USA.
Dan

ppcd

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:22 pm

UPS came today with my travel bag. It's amazing, very spacious and well built. Made by Offermann

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/dan_98/Travel/CIMG5954_resized.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/dan_98/Travel/CIMG5953_resized.jpg
Dan

zkeoj

Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:56 am

Quoting NEMA (Reply 19):
Delsey for me.

They are VERY heavy though. My Delsey weighs 7kg empty. With an allowance of 20kg in Y class on most flights (except Americas) it is almost half of the allowance... And that suitcase doesn't even have a lining - just a plastic shell...

Cheers
micha

keesje

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:19 pm

I guess Samsonite aren't market leader for nothing.

Mine lasted very long. They ride well.

Not exclusive but functional & well styled.

Just got a new all in one for short trips.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

ppcd

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm so happy , got my two other bags as well from Lufthansa. I love them, the nylon looks very solid and I'm sure it will resist in the upcoming trips. Here are a few pics of the bags

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/dan_98/Travel/CIMG5969.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/dan_98/Travel/CIMG5958.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/dan_98/Travel/CIMG5960.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/dan_98/Travel/CIMG5967.jpg

they make a nice pair.
Dan

ThePinnacleKid

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 pm

If you want a real crew bag... then the absolute best bag on the market... (its expensive for a reason, has amazing quality!)

PURDY NEAT

sometimes shown as LuggageWorks... you want the metal framed bag "Stealth" series... it is a Heavy heavy bag empty... not for someone that doesn't want a nice workout lifting it into the overhead bins... BUT, it is made to last, and when actually in use rolling is VERY well balanced... as a crewmember I put mine through a lot of wear and tear (more than the avg joe) and there is a huge majority of us up front that use these bags.... Mine after 2 years of service still is like new... they handle great!
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

airportugal310

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:26 am

I have a Travelpro Walkabout that has served me well for several years both as a carry-on and checked bags.

Simple with a pretty strong handle.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

MTSUATC

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:10 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 8):
Delsey is my choice..

I've got one similar to this and its served me well through this decade...still in top condition too!

These are a baggage handlers nightmare, you can't stack anything on top of them because they always slide off. I would recommend a Hartmann. This company also makes Tumi. They are a bit pricey but well worth it. I've had mine for a few years and its taken a beaten but still does the job. If anything breaks on it they have a lifetime guarantee