baguy

Flying UK To Japan

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi,

Well its only just over a year since I last visited Japan with my aunt. And we have decided to go again. I would like to fly LHR - NRT or KIX. After a lot of internet searching I have come up with three options -

The cheapest is Korean air with routing LHR-ICN-NRT

Then Lufthansa with routing LHR- FRA-NRT but returning with Austrian NRT-VIE-LHR

And lastly BA (a LOT more expensive) direct LHR-NRT

I will be travelling next spring late March early April

So this is where you come in - is it worth paying the extra 500 GBP to travel BA direct or would you go for Korean or Lufthansa/Austrian.

Thanks,

BAguy

Arsenal@LHR

RE: Flying UK To Japan

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting Baguy (Thread starter):
is it worth paying the extra 500 GBP to travel BA direct or would you go for Korean or Lufthansa/Austrian.

If you don't mind the extra stopover and flying time then if i was in your situation i'd definitely take the LH/OS or KE option. Having flown BA several times on longhaul i would take the alternative as it's more interesting and something different (nothing against BA ofcourse). As for it being worth an extra £500 for the convenience of a non-stop flight - not for me it isn't. Maybe if it was an extra £50-100 on BA i'd consider it, but not £500.
In Arsene we trust!!

egmcman

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting Baguy (Thread starter):
So this is where you come in - is it worth paying the extra 500 GBP to travel BA direct or would you go for Korean or Lufthansa/Austrian.

How about SU are they cheap?

PA101

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:03 pm

I'd take the KE option - first, it's the cheapest (and the routing not too bad), and second, in comparison to LH they do have PTVs in Y... Besides, you get FF miles with a SkyMiles carrier, if you do have an account with one of them. I definetly do not consider it worth spending an extra 500 GBP just to be flying BA and nonstop...

baguy

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 2):
How about SU are they cheap?

Im not too sure that my aunt would be too pleased if I told her we should fly Aeroflot!!!

Thanks for your replies - I think i might take the KE option but not sure - keep them coming!

BAguy

signol

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:15 am

I'd take Lufthansa / Austrian - a bit of variety on the route / aircraft  Smile

Although, if I had the time, I'd take the Trans-Siberian one way  Wink

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

planewasted

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Have you checked prices with Virgin Atlantic?
I would take Korean. BA and Lufthansa is plain and a bit boring.

IntlDj

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 pm

2 friends of mine traveled BA (LHR-NRT) on separate occasions using "courier" tickets. They paid about 400GBP each (about 2 years ago). All they did was collect some paperwork at LHR and handed it to a waiting agent at the gate at NRT. Not sure of the full details, or if BA still offer this service, but maybe worth contacting BA and looking into it. Saved them about 300GBP each.