Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OO-VEG
Topic Author

Transfer In JFK

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Hello,

I will be travelling from Vegas to JFK (AA) continuing to CDG (AF) in early november. Basically I am stuck with 1:30hrs of time to transfer from T8 to T1. Is this suicide or manageable?? Also anyone knows if AA books your luggage all the way through to CDG?

I have only done intra-european transfer so far, so I don't know how the system works at JFK, is there customs clearance on domestic flights or is it basically a fact of getting of the plane and continue to T1 for the rest of the leg??

Regards,
Peter

semsem

RE: Transfer In JFK

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I will answer your question though I think this is the wrong Forum. Should be on Civil Aviation.

In my opinion if your luggage can go through directly you may just make it but you are very close. There is a bus that goes from AA to AF and the Terminals are pretty close.

texan

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 pm

You can also take the AirTrain outside of security. It is free to transfer between the terminals, and it hits all of the terminals. I've never used it to connect there, though, only to get there from the subways.

Texan

deltairlines

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:15 am

1h30 will be a bit tight to connect T8 to T1, given that you need to exit T8 (it's a midfield terminal too, so you need to walk a bit), catch the AirTrain (and the inter-terminal train can take a while; at least it did when I was doing T4-T3 the other day) and ride that the long way around to T1 (it goes in descending terminal order). Then, you need to clear T1 security, which can get long at that time of day due to a lot of European departures leaving then.

If the LAS flight is on time, it will be tight but could work out. If that LAS flight is late though, you're in trouble.

No need for customs at all on this trip though. Your trip will be: Check in at LAS (bag checked all the way to CDG; you won't see it till CDG), clear TSA security at Concourse D, get on plane, fly to JFK. Upon landing, exit terminal (no checkpoints or anything), get on AirTrain, go to T1, clear TSA Security, go to gate, get on plane to CDG, get off plane, clear EU Customs/Immigration, go on to final destination.

bbinn333

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 3):
bag checked all the way to CDG

Really Because Last Time I Checked AA and AF were not partners so you need to pick it up and re check it.

SR 103

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Quoting OO-VEG (Thread starter):
Basically I am stuck with 1:30hrs of time to transfer from T8 to T1.

Cutting it tight, but not impossible if your flights are ontime. Just use the AirTrain as other have suggested.

Quoting Bbinn333 (Reply 4):
Really Because Last Time I Checked AA and AF were not partners so you need to pick it up and re check it.

Really, because last time I checked you don't need to be partners to have a bag checked straight through to your final destination. All you need is a single ticket. Done it myself many times.

SR 103

Viscount724

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:48 am

Quoting Bbinn333 (Reply 4):
Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 3):
bag checked all the way to CDG

That's not correct. Whether airlines are "partners" or not has nothing to do with thru-checking baggage. Virtually all major airlines have interline ticketing and baggage agreements with virtually all other major airlines and have done so for many decades, since long before the term "airline alliance" was invented.

Policies vary when separate tickets are involved, but if it's all on one ticket there should be no problem.