NWADC9
Topic Author

How To Get To Gravelly Park

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:50 am

I'll be in DC tomorrow and Friday, and I am wanting to go planespotting at the raved-about Gravelly Park. How would I get there by public transportation/walking?
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Cadet57

RE: How To Get To Gravelly Park

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:55 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Thread starter):
I'll be in DC tomorrow and Friday, and I am wanting to go planespotting at the raved-about Gravelly Park. How would I get there by public transportation/walking?

Take the blue line metro to DCA, leave the station and then follow these directions, used when I went to DCA earlier this month:

If you don't mind exploring a bit, I'd exit the Metro into the C terminal, head down to the arrivals level, and out to the taxi stand area. Once outside, turn right, and keep walking in the same direction that taxis leaving the airport are heading, and generally bear to the right as opportunities present themselves. I'd guess you'll find a sidewalk that takes you towards the old USAir terminal (the northern most big airport building you'll see on google maps). Walk past that into (or around) the small surface parking lot, and I'll bet it feeds you into the connector to the bike path. Once on the path, the rest is easy -- just keep walking north, keeping the runways on your right. Within 10 minutes or so from there you'll be at Gravelly Point.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

dutchflyboi

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:09 am

Yup, that is correct. This is one of the best directions anyone could have given you, unless you want to take a cab!  Smile

BlueElephant

Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:16 am

A cab from the airport couldn't be more than 5 dollars i bet.

gigneil

Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 am

I know you didn't ask, but if you do try to access it from the road, keep in mind that it can only be accessed from the Northbound side of the GW Parkway.

NS