jcchristie

Strongest Routes For US Airlines

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:45 am

What are the strongest routes for the US airlines?

My guess's for 1st place

AA DFW-LAX
DL ATL-LGA
UA ORD-MSP
CO IAH-LAX
US (who knows?)
NW MSP-DTW
WN DAL-HOU

These are just guesses...but what are like the top 10 strongest routes for each airline

nqyguy

RE: Strongest Routes For US Airlines

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 am

I'm guessing London routes are quite popular, if you're including international.

ANITIX87

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:09 pm

Quoting Nqyguy (Reply 1):
I'm guessing London routes are quite popular, if you're including international.

I think it probably depends on the airline a lot more than we think due to the new open skies. I'm going to vote for these...

AA - JFK-LHR probably right.
NW - DTW-NRT or DTW-AMS
DL - ATL-CDG or JFK-FRA
UA - SFO-HKG or LAX-SYD
CO - EWR-HKG or EWR-TLV
US - PHL-MAN or PHL-AMS

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Transpac787

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):
AA - JFK-LHR probably right.

There was actually a discussion on AA's LHR routes awhile back, and apparently LAX-LHR was their top yielding of the bunch, IIRC.

For AA it's most likely South American routes, MIA-GRU, MIA-EZE, etc.

NW - DTW-NRT or DTW-AMS

checkmark 

DL - ATL-CDG or JFK-FRA

Most definitely not JFK-FRA, as it was just downgraded to 752.

UA - SFO-HKG or LAX-SYD

While SFO-HKG is a good performer, ORD-HKG still tops it. No competition from CX or AA. LAX-SYD has polar success, making huge money during some seasons and barely holding its own during others. Oddly enough, one of UA's top routes now is IAD-KWI, given all the government, military, and cargo contracts they have on it. Used to be run 3x weekly but is now a daily flight.

bananaboy

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:22 pm

Quoting Jcchristie (Thread starter):
My guess's for 1st place

AA DFW-LAX
DL ATL-LGA
UA ORD-MSP
CO IAH-LAX
US (who knows?)
NW MSP-DTW
WN DAL-HOU

Seeing as the OP was initially guessing at domestic routes, can anyone suggest?

My  twocents  would be
UA: LAX/SFO - JFK - ps is the clue here!
US: all combinations of LGA/BOS/DCA

Any other takers?

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

MTSUATC

Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:21 am

I would say any niche routes that certain airlines fly. As others have said UA's IAD-KWI is a great performer, and ORD-HKG is probably UA's top route consistently. SFO/LAX-SYD is very hit and miss. Certain times of the year the flights are packed full and oversold by 30-40 people, then other times it doesn't even go out half full. Maybe someone on here can clarify one thing for me. When I was working in ASE for OO this past winter the managers always said that ASE was one of UA most profitable stations. I know fares into ASE are outrageous in the winter time but there are a lot of expenses and overhead at that station. I'm not sure if OO pays for them or UA, but after working there I know it costs a lot of money to run that place.

deltairlines

Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:16 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 3):
There was actually a discussion on AA's LHR routes awhile back, and apparently LAX-LHR was their top yielding of the bunch, IIRC.

Which does make sense due to the extreme amount of competition in the NYC-LON corridor. You have AA, DL, BA and VS all with multiple frequencies on JFK-LHR, BA and CO with multiple frequencies on EWR-LHR, plus additional competition on JFK-LGW (DL now, BA replaces DL soon) and EWR-LGW (CO), not to mention single frequencies such as VS' lone EWR-LHR, plus Kuwait, Air India, etc. that all operate NYC-LON. Plenty of competition to go around.

burnsie28

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Some of NW's strongest routes include:

DTW-NRT
MSP-ORD
DTW-ORD
MSP-SEA
MSP-ANC
DTW-KIX
NRT-HNL
MSP-LGA
DTW-LGA
DTW-DCA
MSP-DCA

flymia

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Well for AA I would imagine these routes to be top performers.
MIA-EZE
MIA-GIG
JFK-LAX
MIA-LAX
Also does anyone have any numbers on MIA-DCA I fly it almost on a monthly basis and its always full and it recently went from 8x Daily to 9x Daily. I would imagine its a good route for them since they are the only airline on MIA-DCA.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)