oby

Going Around In SE Asia

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:07 am

hi all
I am about to embark on a travelling adventure in Asia, and would like some help.
I will be going from Sydney - Kuala Lumpur - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Ho Chi Minh - Guangzhou - Hong Kong - Bangkok - Paro - Delhi - Copenhagen.
I would like to know waht to do in Delhi and how far it is to go to the Taj Mahal. Also, what to do in Kuala Lumpur, Guangzhou and Hong Kong.
Cheers Mates

gffgold

RE: Going Around In SE Asia

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:07 am

KL is an excellent intro to SE Asia and a very easy place to find your feet. English is widely spoken and local transport is efficient - but watch out for cowboy taxi drivers who have meters but flatly refuse to use them. Do the view from Menara KL, go shopping in Suria KLCC (base of Petronas twin towers), and eat at one of the excellent Mamak restaurants in town. For the adventurous try the Batu Caves or Kampung Kuantan firefly park outside of the city.

HK is shop till you drop and always a bit crowded for my liking but a trip up to the Peak in the tram is a must. Go early and beat the crowds. A very expensive place to stay. If you want a more relaxed vibe Macau is a short ferry hop (or a very expensive helicopter ride) away.

Guangzhou is, in my opinion, about as convivial as Chernobyl on a wet Tuesday in November. Lived there for 9 months and was glad to escape.

Coal

Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:40 pm

I wouldn't spend more than half a day in KL unless you adore shopping. KL is boooring! Come to Singapore instead.

Don't forget to go out for a drink in Lan Kway Fong (in HK) on a Friday night and mingle with the banker (wanker) crowd.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

rwsea

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:06 pm

HK is awesome - you'll love it. Make sure you go to the peak during the day, and check out the avenue of the stars at night for the light show.

Haven't been to HCMC, but Hanoi is awesome. Vietnam has great food, and great and cheap beer.

allrite

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:47 am

I've got some travel blog entries and photos that may give you some ideas of what to do:

* Hong Kong
* Malaysia and Bangkok
* Older Malaysia/Singapore trips

Quoting Coal (Reply 2):
I wouldn't spend more than half a day in KL unless you adore shopping. KL is boooring! Come to Singapore instead.

I will disagree with you there and claim the reverse is true! Malaysian food is one of the best cuisines in the world. The food is way better in KL, especially if you are prepared to get out into the hawker stalls - grime is good for you. Go for a day trip from KL and see the old shophouses in Melaka, eating some nonya food as well.
I like artificial banana essence!

coolfish1103

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 am

I would simply dump Guangzhou off the list as that place is boring as hell, like replace it with Taipei, Cebu or Hanoi.
How about traveling to Singapore while you are in Kuala Lumpur?
You should certainly add Macau to the Hong Kong circle and put days in it.