FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Suggestions On How To Get From EWR To Tarrytown,NY

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:41 am

Hi Guys

I'm visiting a friend in Tarrytown, NY next week. Is there a better way to get there from EWR than taking the airtrain to Newark Int'l train station, then going to Penn station, before changing yet again to Grand Central and getting the train from there to Tarrytown?

Are there any trains directly from EWR to this area? I've looked at the PANJNY website, but god, CONFUSING!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
FCAFLYBOY

B6JFKH81

RE: Suggestions On How To Get From EWR To Tarrytow

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:45 pm

The train you would be taking isn't operated by PANYNJ, its operated by MTA. The exact sub-company is the Metro North Railroad:

www.mta.info/mnr

It also looks like the NJ Transit goes to Penn Station (NYC) from EWR or possibly Newark Penn Station:

www.njtransit.com

I don't know if Amtrak has anything in Newark, but it could be an option as they go into Penn Station (NYC) as well.

To be honest, I don't know if you have a better option. I did see that some NJ Transit trains go into NY, but west of the Hudson river, while the MTA train you would be taking is on the east side.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

ANITIX87

Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Another option could be quite a big longer but require fewer changes.

You could take the NJ Transit trains to either Spring Vally, NY or Suffern, NY (via Secaucus, on the Pascack Valley or Port Jervis lines, respectively) an then take the Tappan Zee Express (a bus service) across the Tappan Zee Bridge to Tarrytown.

I have linked the bus schedule. The Tappan Zee Express (TZx) is on the left side.

http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/fromrockland.htm

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

timz

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:13 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):
Another option could be quite a big longer but require fewer changes.

NJ Transit to NY Penn, then the Q32 bus to 42nd/Madison, then train to Tarrytown. Can't be done with fewer changes than that, unless you walk from NY Penn to GCT.

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:45 pm

This is great guys, thanks very much.

Thankfully I'll be travelling light, given all those changes!

Cheers
FCAFLYBOY

deltairlines

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:02 pm

What I'd do is Newark Airport Express Bus to Grand Central (runs every 15-30 minutes), which will drop you off right outside Grand Central. Then take a Metro North train to Tarrytown.

Would recommend not doing the NJT to NYP then getting over to GCT with luggage - it's a pain in the behind (been there, done that). The buses are pretty bad (can get rather crowded, and I'm not a big fan of bringing a bag onto a bus) and the subways, which take as much time as the bus, are just annoying to switch trains at Times Square. The Express bus gets you to GCT in one fell swoop, no need to worry about any extra connections, etc.

More info at http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

timz

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Yeah, that sounds sensible. When I said "it can't be done" in one change I wasn't counting Olympia.

LAXintl

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:40 am

I've done work for a company near Tarrytown.

The best option by far is renting a car and driving. No need for the hastles with trains/buses instead drive yourself door to door.

And if you do drive unless if you want a bit of a tour of the city(Bronx) and sitting on traffic for a while, I'd stick to the New Jersey side of the Hudson all the way to the Tappan Zee Bridge (87/287) which ends right in Tarrytown.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California