Transit At JFK

Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:01 pm

Hello guys:

I´m going to Pittsburgh in October and have the following schedule:

- BOG-JFK: AV 020 (18th October) Departs BOG: 22:55
Arrives JFK: 05:30 + 1

- JFK-PIT: B6 1051 (19th October) Departs JFK: 08:10
Arrives PIT: 09:53

Do you think that I will have enough time to make the conection?

Also what side of the plane do you think it´s the best for the arrival and departure in JFK and the arrival into PIT?

Well all your comments are truly appreciated.

Regards,

767AV

PanAm747

RE: Transit At JFK

Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:39 pm

The early morning hours of JFK are not the busiest. There is definitely traffic arriving, a combination of red-eyes from the west coast and overnight long-hauls from JFK.

Avianca arrives into JFK at Terminal Four. Jet Blue is at Terminal Six. If the weather is good, you could walk, but there is a bus that connects the terminals from outside security. Someone more familiar with JFK needs to update that - I know it exists, but I am not familiar with its operations.

I think you should be okay making your connection; however, with the U.S. and JFK, anything is possible. Also, how long of a connection do you have at JFK on the return?

Please give us a trip report when you get back!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jetblueatjfk

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 pm

All you have to do is head right to Air Train which in T4 is right inside the terminal and take it one stop over to T6 for JetBlue. You should have enough time.

B6jfk

csavel

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:17 pm

That shuld be enough time. Early morning is light re: Customs and Immigration, so you should be OK. No guarantees though. If you're taking luggae just take Airtrain, the sidewalks are really non-existent from terminal to terminal esp if you are lugging luggage.

Hard to say which side of plane, but Bogota to NY I'd maybe be on the left side for Manhattan views but the right side is cooler for the Canarsie approach in my opinion. Left side is also cool for flying up the US coast as you get to see all the barrier islands, Chesapeake Bay, Sandy Hook, etc.

Don't know about PIT never been there.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Cubsrule

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Quoting 767AV (Thread starter):
Also what side of the plane do you think it´s the best for the arrival and departure in JFK and the arrival into PIT?

Probably the port side for the arrival at PIT; if they're landing on the 28s, you ought to get a nice view of downtown on the way in.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

aviateur

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:30 pm

I am based at JFK. You should be fine. Mornings are pretty light, congestion wise -- arguably the best time for connections there.

PS

[Edited 2008-09-23 16:32:23]
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

deltairlines

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Never had a problem with the mornings at JFK, especially arriving (departures can get a little backed up due to some morning rush outbound, but never a problem arriving). 2.5 hours is more than enough time to clear customs and make your way over to T6.